As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Remember them millions that Barcelona have to pay to Liverpool you thought it couldn't get any worse..

So erm , It's official that Messi now wants to leave Barcelona.

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53911105

Ziggymon on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Here's Carles Puyol expressing his admiration and support for Leo Messi.

Here's Luis Suarez applauding that.

Here's Ronald Koeman realizing that he gave up his Dutch national team job before the European Championships, was immediately told that when a new president takes over in six months he'll be fired and now Leo Messi has decided to leave.
    tenor.gif

euj90n71sojo.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    literally everyone: boy that Barca job sure looks like a poisoned chalice

Koeman: *glug glug glug* what?

absolutely incredible first interview from Dundalk FC’s new manager here

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Imagine telling Lionel Fucking Messi 'Your privileges are over', good God.

I am somewhat bemused by the latest twist in the Maguire tale. Apparently the lawyer for the prosecution is saying an apology could lead to charges being dropped on appeal? Is this usual in Greek courts? It seems a sign that the case against Maguire is not that strong*.

*I should state that I have no feelings about Maguire one way or the other, and know full well the damage drunk Britons abroad can do. The stated facts and events do seem a bit odd to me thus far though.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

absolutely incredible first interview from Dundalk FC’s new manager here

Reminds me of

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

To be fair, Messi has been at the top of the food chain at Barcelona for many years. To the point of certain players being bought/sold/played to help him (Pep was known for this). This was probably Messi being informed that the club were going to move on from that.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm sure there will be room for him in Los Angeles.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

To be fair, Messi has been at the top of the food chain at Barcelona for many years. To the point of certain players being bought/sold/played to help him (Pep was known for this). This was probably Messi being informed that the club were going to move on from that.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. Building around a player isn't a new or Barcelona exclusive thing. Its the phrasing and timing of the statement, coupled with the previous club position that they considered Messi central to their plans. They may have well have said 'You'll stay put and be thankful for it'.

Delivered by that no mark Koeman as well.

there's celtic's annual champions league embarrassment

Wolves are getting absolutely fleeced if they let Doherty go for 12 million

my local Irish team gets 10% of the sale, which at that price, equates to roughly 1200% of our team's estimated value

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He's apparently in contract until 2023 so I can't understand why we're letting him go for that little considering how important he's been for us.

I trust Nuno but I am very upset about this, especially as my Spurs mate is gloating right now and calling us a feeder club.

i, unbiasedly, would have valued him at at least 40 million especially when you have also-rans like Otamendi, Chilwell, Davinson Sanchez, Mustafi, Mendy, David Luiz and Ake going for around that figure

absolutely bizarre piece of business

we got knocked out of Europe on penalties

never liked football anyway

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

We need a winger, so when I found out someone from Wolves was joining, well... but I guess a performance analyst is good as well.

euj90n71sojo.png

i don't speak french but i think i can figure out what "Clown 🤡 par excellence" means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ7XEl7xUM0

the Dublin derby is on tomorrow. We're currently second playing against our biggest rivals who are first with 2 points in it. Check out the winner we scored against them last year because i'm gonna have it on repeat all day

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So Messi is staying at Barca for another year against his will and has absolutely torn Bartomeu another one in his official statement.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    He's apparently in contract until 2023 so I can't understand why we're letting him go for that little considering how important he's been for us.

Mendes giveth, and Mendes taketh away.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    ca629ll98vlp.jpg

"How did you feel the match went, James?"
    "M̸̗̥̩̊̓̂̒͜Ỷ̷̤̱̙̝̉̓ ̶̢̤̭̅̈́̚ͅB̸̢̧̖̔ͅL̴̢̳͚͝O̸̠̭̥̤̍̂̎Ó̷̯̄͛͘D̴͕́̎ ̸̖̩͚͓͗͝R̷͍͖̒́̓͠Ṷ̶̺̈́̌́͂Ǹ̴̹̻͙̕S̵̡̩̺̹̿͘ ̵̲̿̒͆͋B̶̞̾Ḽ̴͓̟̤̉̈͝Ã̸̢̬̮̓̚C̵̬̫͓͋͐̅̍K̸̦̲̔"
    "wonderful, thanks james"

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    He does have a slightly death-eaterish name.

Huh. Well, now I get why Ward-Prowse was so quick to start digging into the penalty spot after Iceland was awarded their penalty. "Dark arts" indeed.

euj90n71sojo.png
    agv2t1j2i0xa.png

there's the work fantasy draft team

i look forward to dunking on anyone who does worse than me and calling anyone who does better than me a nerd

Though with Saiss I hope you get points for yellow cards as well.

my plan is to swap saiss for mahrez and lundstrum for pogba in week 2

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    What an opening game!

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I don't do fantasy anymore because every time I do half the players get injured or multiple match suspensions in the first two rounds.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Nuno signed a new deal and Doherty had a shocker for Spurs. Not a bad day.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Like a fool i decided to join in our clubs fantasy football league and through sheer incompetence/terrible website design, I left pogba on my starting 11 instead of benching him.

OOOPS.

Looks like i'll be spending the season propping up the rest of the table.

sig.gif
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Like a fool i decided to join in our clubs fantasy football league and through sheer incompetence/terrible website design, I left pogba on my starting 11 instead of benching him.

OOOPS.

Looks like i'll be spending the season propping up the rest of the table.

We call this the reverse Mourinho

neymar said he wished he'd punched the dude who racially abused him in the face and honestly i can't imagine neymar punching anyone without his hand crumbling and him rolling 10 feet away

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    dreadful

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    God looking at football internet is depressing these days. The Glazers are really milking United for all its history god damn.

edited September 2020
    our biggest rivals are playing AC Milan in the Europa League tonight and it's very funny that one of the biggest games in the club's history has to be played behind closed doors

there's a lot of "i hope they win for the good of the league" sentiment going around that I'm morally opposed to. I genuinely hope Zlatan kicks their shit in

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.