As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    this is neither here nor there but even in the era of shitty sound mixing Lovecraft Country might have the worst sound mixing I have ever heard

I can either have the music at a comfortable volume and need to put subtitles on to hear any dialogue, or completely blow out my speakers for the sake of making out what anyone is saying

I noticed this as well. It's egregiously bad. Like, worse than a Nolan movie bad.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    this is neither here nor there but even in the era of shitty sound mixing Lovecraft Country might have the worst sound mixing I have ever heard

I can either have the music at a comfortable volume and need to put subtitles on to hear any dialogue, or completely blow out my speakers for the sake of making out what anyone is saying

I noticed this as well. It's egregiously bad. Like, worse than a Nolan movie bad.

Is this just in the latest episode? I’ve not noticed any major issues with the sound so far and I’m usually pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    After getting told it gets toned down I gave Harley Quinn another shot.

It’s a show with a lot of heart. I really like how ivy is pushing Harley to be a better person and be supportive of her. (Also love how she keeps stressing she isn’t villain)

Bane, is also hilarious.

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    When Chidi gets his note back from Janet

It got extremely dusty in my living room

My question is, did you catch
    the reason he wanted to open the note there was not for him so much, but so Eleanor could read it off his glasses?

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    After getting told it gets toned down I gave Harley Quinn another shot.

It’s a show with a lot of heart. I really like how ivy is pushing Harley to be a better person and be supportive of her. (Also love how she keeps stressing she isn’t villain)

Bane, is also hilarious.

Am I weird for getting Venture Brothers vibes from Harley Quinn?

Because by the end of the first season, I was getting serious Venture Brothers vibes.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Is this just in the latest episode? I’ve not noticed any major issues with the sound so far and I’m usually pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

It's been every episode I've seen thus far, which is all of them. The difference in volume between the loud and the quiet parts is infuriating. It's especially unforgivable when you have to watch it in an apartment building with paper-thin walls; I can't imagine my neighbors enjoy how loud the show gets at the drop of a hat!

Fix your shit, HBO.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    It's always seemed to me that HBO likes to mix their stuff as if their audience has a 5.1 system, and wants their sub to shake all their pictures off the wall during loud bits.

Which is fine if you're me... my wife however doesn't like loud movies in the movie theater, yet alone at home. So we listen to stuff at a reasonable level. And yeah, that shit is infuriating for 90% of their content.

No I don't.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Harley Quinn just dropped a Clive Cussler joke outta nowhere and gosh this show is pandering to me

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn just dropped a Clive Cussler joke outta nowhere and gosh this show is pandering to me

Poor, I didn't know you were a DirkyPitt fan.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

He's using all his tv writer money to collect old Duesenbergs.

So far he's got a door handle and a tail light.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    On the plus side, Lovecraft Country shitting the bed has freed me from the psychic burden of another show I'm totally going to get around to watching, eventually, maybe

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

7th-grade-me was terribly fond of Dirk Pitt, for some absolutely inexplicable reason

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm legit sad they didn't manage to shoehorn him into the last season of Agents of Shield somewhere. They had a time machine! He was mentioned once.

They even got Bill Paxton’s son to play young Bill Paxton!

Ok now I need them to have his son play a young Bill Pullman just to mess with everyone

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    What’s a tv cast with some really interesting faces, I need a bunch of refs

tynic on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Legends of Tomorrow (you'll also have a lot of faces to choose from)

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Cheers

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I personally am not as charmed by the first couple episodes of Lovecraft Country as many other folks were (I don't think I could fully articulate why, exactly, but it feels...effigial, I guess, in the same way that Watchmen did) and the fact that it does some fucked up shit later suggests I'm probably gonna drop it

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

das Boot

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Maybe the latest episode of Lovecraft Country wasn't the best episode to try to get the wife to watch.

It does have a fractured feel to it. Like it's trying to have serialized story structure, but each episode has its own (seemingly) standalone series of events, minus whatever Atticus is doing. And each episode even feels like a different genre. One episode they are on some Indiana Jones kick, and another episode is a jump scare horror show

Not quite ready to give up on it, but I'll probably stop recommending it to people until I know where the ride stops.

Number One Tricky
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Taxi

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I personally am not as charmed by the first couple episodes of Lovecraft Country as many other folks were (I don't think I could fully articulate why, exactly, but it feels...effigial, I guess, in the same way that Watchmen did) and the fact that it does some fucked up shit later suggests I'm probably gonna drop it

I learned a new word today, thank you.

effigial: adjective, of or resembling an effigy

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Farscape

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just started watching battlestar again and there is a good mix of faces there.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Berlin station has some good faces I think. Also Germany '83 and '86

honovere on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

South Park :biggrin:

Edit: non sarcastic answer
    Schitts Creek. Dan Levy alone will give you like 100 faces

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Slings and Arrows maybe? All white though, so not great in that regard.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

the reason he wanted to open the note there was not for him so much, but so Eleanor could read it off his glasses?

I... missed that? Unless that’s explained in the next episode or something. I was mostly focused on The Emotion.

sig.gif
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

children's hospital

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Magicians for both a variety of faces and utter horniness!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Deadwood has interesting faces.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    All human faces are equally displeasing to Morbo

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Legion is full of fantastic faces

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The first season of Castle Rock on Hulu has a number of good faces. It's also a pretty ok show!

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

I... missed that? Unless that’s explained in the next episode or something. I was mostly focused on The Emotion.

It's subtly alluded to earlier in the same episode:
    During the Chidi life flashbacks, one of the reboots has Chidi with the goth raven lover soulmate. They're playing trivia, and he catches Eleanor cheating by looking at the reflection in his glasses. At the end of the episode, when he opens the note, he looks at Eleanor, who has a knowing look in her eye, smiling, and you can see the note reflecting in his glasses.

The emotion though yes, it got dusty.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Watching OJ: Made in America.

It is wild that the LA police are so racist and incompetent that they managed to frame a guilty man still fuck up the case so badly.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Watching OJ: Made in America.

It is wild that the LA police are so racist and incompetent that they managed to frame a guilty man still fuck up the case so badly.

not familiar with the lapd then

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    You'd think with so much practice at it they'd be better at it!

edited September 2020
    OJ made in America is probably one of the best documentary series ever made. It’s phenomenal. It should be pretty much mandatory in all high school classrooms

Prohass on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    OJ made in America is probably one of the best documentary series ever made. It’s phenomenal. It should be pretty much mandatory in all high school classrooms

ken burns': civil war

I think the Oj made in America doc is interesting because the process of making the doc itself and the interviews conducted actually add to our knowledge and understanding, as well as ongoing discussions. It brings up new perspectives and info within the series, whilst not letting that info get away from the documentaries primary purpose. It’s not just a comprehensive overview, it feels alive and open ended, and not just in a “the last episode talks about the ongoing issues”, it feels suffused into the very DNA of the enterprise

This discussion has been closed.