As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I can prove I'm smarter than Batman:

The solution to social problems like crime don't involve a billionaire dressing up as a flying mammal and beating people up in the streets like a vigilante.

Boom. Done proved it.

Batman is kind of a dumbass.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If you want a good, largely fun rogues gallery

Let me introduce you to a man who, get this,

Does whatever a spider can

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    He mates with and is devoured by a female ten times his size? Weird flex, but I'm into it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is Spiderman venomous?
    Can he go a year without eating?
    Can he regrow limbs after losing them?

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    If Riddler is so smart how come he's not rich.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Because he spent all his money building racetracks in Arkham Knight.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

ac0xn39o90zy.png

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Is the riddler not rich?

Then why is he on the tv at 1am trying to sell me his book of free government money?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Is Spiderman venomous?

Spider-Man 2099 does have a venomous bite! Not sure about the limbs, don't remember it coming up.

Miguel didn't actually have any info on how Peter's powers worked, he just mashed a bunch of spider DNA and general genetic super soldier stuff into his concoction. Which is why it killed a few test subjects before him.

But a random villain has him captured and is bragging about how he's better than all the classic villains like Venom, so Miguel is inspired to test it out

uyvfOQy.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i like when the penguin realized that he could make way more money off the brand of The Penguin and opened up a club based around himself

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Look, depending on the story, Spider-Man probably can or has done all of those things

Gotta fill over seven hundred issues somehow

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I guess he did grow extra limbs that one time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    There was a bit in one of the comics about how companies in Gotham going out of business will use the last of their money to theme it around a supervillain, hoping a mysterious buyer will show up and buy their now clown themed factory.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wasn't there a whole sub villain around getting super villains thematically appropriate lairs on the cheap, like an evil realestate agent

I know for a fact that there was another who just did carpentry work in the lairs of the big bads because you cant expect doctor victor freeze to have the time and knowledge to saw all these trap doors into the floor

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Is Spiderman venomous?

I feel like...there was an arc called "the other" that touched on some of that

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wasn't there a whole sub villain around getting super villains thematically appropriate lairs on the cheap, like an evil realestate agent

I know for a fact that there was another who just did carpentry work in the lairs of the big bads because you cant expect doctor victor freeze to have the time and knowledge to saw all these trap doors into the floor

https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/The_Broker
    You find a Riddler challenge in one of the games by finding something about his real estate agency, that's how I learned about him (honestly like 90% of anything I know about Batman is the Arkham games, there's tons and tons of stuff about arcs and side characters in the riddler collectables)

Crippl3 on
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Spider Man is a vampire but no one wants to talk about it

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think about that scene from the Adam West Batman movie where the team of villains think they actually killed Batman and get genuinely upset cause they're just a bunch of novelty themed bank robbers at heart and just kind of sigh wistfully.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    You know what would make that apology better?

An actual apology, instead of an explanation of what happened and why it's not abby's fault

All that can be true but you still platformed someone you shouldn't and a statement of apology is warranted, along with a note about how you're gonna be more rigorous (or even a promise that you won't have that person on again)

I only just listened to it but I kind of agree. Also, Abby (rightfully) called out on the previous Beastcast where a lot of these allegations got aired out how easy it is to do a cursory look into the backgrounds of people and to not give them a platform. It just seems like no effort was made here to look into things and that's pretty shitty.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    You know what would make that apology better?

An actual apology, instead of an explanation of what happened and why it's not abby's fault

All that can be true but you still platformed someone you shouldn't and a statement of apology is warranted, along with a note about how you're gonna be more rigorous (or even a promise that you won't have that person on again)

I only just listened to it but I kind of agree. Also, Abby (rightfully) called out on the previous Beastcast where a lot of these allegations got aired out how easy it is to do a cursory look into the backgrounds of people and to not give them a platform. It just seems like no effort was made here to look into things and that's pretty shitty.

I mean, if you google merrit k you don't find anything. If you google merrit k allegations you get this thread and a giantbomb thread about this recent podcast, and a locked/closed waypoint forum post that's about Alex Holowka where you have to dig into to find anything, which is the aforementioned tweets that are in support of Ana Valens.

Like, there are not any news stories about this, it's essentially twitter posts from a year ago that are not easily searchable. If you are not in this scene you are just not really going to know about it or find it or even know where to look.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    edited September 2020
    I knew about her and I'm not in the games media/press. Abby also admitted herself that she learned about the accusations mid-way through the stream - not to mention the dozens of comments that were on her tweet announcing the podcast before it went live.

Also, if you google "Merritt K Controversy" it's all right there. "NAME x Controversy" should be a standard google for any of these shows before they bring guests on in today's day and age.

Either way, it's not the end of the world. I just think that they can and should do better about this kind of stuff - especially if they're gonna take a progressive stance like they have.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2020
    I knew about her and I'm not in the games media/press. She also admitted herself that she learned about the accusations mid-way through the stream

Because it was being talked about in chat. And yeah, I know about it too, because I post on this forum and through cultural osmosis of this forum I know a ton about various twitter beefs/accusations of people I have never heard of.
    Also, if you google "Merritt K Controversy" it's all right there. "NAME x Controversy"

No, it isn't, spoilered for large
    2yd644plwkak.png

cursedking on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This seriously seems like a case where all the people in the know follow Abby and also responded to her tweet/gb chat.

This information is nowhere near as easily searchable as y’all are making it out to be.

That said I agree her apology was pretty weak.

rhylith on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    put it this way: I kinda read a lot of the same circles and only knew about the biphobia/acephobia stuff (which was, honestly, enough to write her off) until very recently when I saw people directly mentioning the shit she was trying to pull at fanbyte. And by recently I mean possibly in response to her being on the show.

And even the stuff I *did* know was mostly obfuscated behind subtweets written specifically to be un-searchable.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think it is a bit difficult for a layman disconnected from games twitter to know about merritt k but I think professional journalist abby russell can do a little more vetting than just plugging a name into google

PNk1Ml4.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Is the riddler not rich?

Then why is he on the tv at 1am trying to sell me his book of free government money?

His place off Connecticut Avenue is recognizable due to the cars decorated with question marks in the driveway.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    I think it is a bit difficult for a layman disconnected from games twitter to know about merritt k but I think professional journalist abby russell can do a little more vetting than just plugging a name into google

I agree with the sentiment but not that Abby is really a journalist since she's a producer (You might be being sarcastic though).

Either way, I'm just saying "DO BETTER". Not trying to come down on Abby at all.
    I'd also be a bit surprised if Mary or Riana hadn't heard anything about her but it's not really their responsibility to vet another show's guests.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2020/09/14/red-ventures-acquires-cnet-media-group-from-viacomcbs-for-500m/amp/

Although not officially confirmed, it seems like this includes everything that used to be 'CBS Interactive' so GameSpot and GiantBomb.

Weird times ahead....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's a yikes. I hope they leave things in tact.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Been watching Who’s The Big Boss

This was a fun series

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Jeff confirmed on Tumblr GB ispart of this sale. And that he knows fuck all otherwise.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Red Ventures appears to be a rather large and diverse, uh, something or other

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I knew about her and I'm not in the games media/press. She also admitted herself that she learned about the accusations mid-way through the stream

Because it was being talked about in chat. And yeah, I know about it too, because I post on this forum and through cultural osmosis of this forum I know a ton about various twitter beefs/accusations of people I have never heard of.
    Also, if you google "Merritt K Controversy" it's all right there. "NAME x Controversy"

2yd644plwkak.png

Aren't Google searches tailored to the user?

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    well i'm sure this won't end terribly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    are they getting raided by vultures or is this a real company

BahamutZERO.gif
    Red Ventures seems real....I guess??? I don't know things

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

2yd644plwkak.png

Aren't Google searches tailored to the user?

Oh is THAT why whenever I search for hentai I get pictures of chickens cooking Tom Yum Goong?

The name is admittedly not reassuring presumably focused down from the original Bloodsoaked Venture

This discussion has been closed.