As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Part of why I've only leveled one DPS class, and is was the first class I've leveled, is that while tanks and healers are no less boring 1-50 they at least have a role in dungeons other than damage.

One thing that helps the boredom is leveling through PotD, especially once you have 51-60 unlocked, because you get to play at level 60 even if you're not.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Are there any decent introductions/guides to Deep Dungeons? I was reading up about them and they sound... weird. Like, do you pug into them or do you solo? How does progression work? What do you actually get for doing them? Etc.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Decided to work on leveling Pugilist a bit recently, just unlocked Monk.

Wow, there's... not a whole lot to this, is there. There really isn't anything interesting until like level 50.

Very few classes are interesting until 50, and some take until 80 to really come together.

I haven't gotten to tanks yet, but the only dps I've found that's on the same level of absolutely nothing for so long of a stretch is probably Dragoon, which IMO is too backloaded at later levels with dumping all its rotational shit on you. Monk just gets nothing except one more aoe and a handful of utility cooldowns from 30-50. Other dps at least get something that contributes to developing their playstyle - RDM gets more of their melee combo, BLM gets Fire III/Firestarter, MCH gets Heat Blast/Rook/Wildfire(though I'm willing to concede they got a better spread post-hoc because of the rework and their 30 start), NIN gets Chi, Jin and an aoe finally, SMN is kind of bleh but it at least gets Egi Assault II, BRD has to start learning how to rotate dem auraz, etc.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Are there any decent introductions/guides to Deep Dungeons? I was reading up about them and they sound... weird. Like, do you pug into them or do you solo? How does progression work? What do you actually get for doing them? Etc.

You pug them, progression is you start at level 1 on floor 1 and level up quickly to 50 by floor 50. You also get armor+weapon upgrades from silver chests that carry over between runs and jobs and make it easier. Once you reach floor 50, you can start from it on new files, and people mostly just run 50-60 over and over to farm exp. 10 floors takes about as long or a little less than a dungeon run and gives similar real exp to one at the end.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Decided to work on leveling Pugilist a bit recently, just unlocked Monk.

Wow, there's... not a whole lot to this, is there. There really isn't anything interesting until like level 50.

Very few classes are interesting until 50, and some take until 80 to really come together.

Monk actually comes together fairly quickly, I think they have all their meaningful stuff by 60 or so.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So, apparently one of the patches changed the tome gear from Stormblood to just be augmented, base?

The problem is that the rings, you used to be able to have the 390 version and 400 version if you upgraded one and bought it again.

Is there no way to do that now? I can't imagine they put in a way to downgrade things. I guess I need to see if I can find a different source of a level 70 ring :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So, apparently one of the patches changed the tome gear from Stormblood to just be augmented, base?

The problem is that the rings, you used to be able to have the 390 version and 400 version if you upgraded one and bought it again.

Is there no way to do that now? I can't imagine they put in a way to downgrade things. I guess I need to see if I can find a different source of a level 70 ring :rotate:

There's always the market board.

• Options

Depending where you're at, I'd just buy one from an NPC in the Shadowbringers town. Or see where the prior tier's rings are located.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    the augmented-by-default only applies to the 50/60/70 gear, 80 gear you still have to jump through the hoops and start with the non-augmented version
    I don't think there's any way to get non-augmented versions of those pieces anymore for the purpose of stacking the rings

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Depending where you're at, I'd just buy one from an NPC in the Shadowbringers town. Or see where the prior tier's rings are located.

Yeah I'll probably just grab the vendor one.

It's more bugging my need to have everything "complete", than any real functional problem. I've got half the jobs with the 400/390 Scavean rings, but just played a lot today and started buying the set for BRD/MCH/DNC and noticed they had changed it.

As dumb as it is, I'm probably going to turn in the 390 rings for other jobs into the IF vendor, so there is uniformity in my level 70-80 sets for leveling. :rotate:

• Options
    Can someone give me a quick primer on housing? I generally don't much care for it in MMOs, double so with FFIV's per-server limitations, however it appears it's the only way to dye your chocobo (and a faster way to level it, which I wouldn't mind, because it's gone up one rank in the past 30 levels...). I've seen some mention of apartments that are more easily available? Also, are there limits to what you can do with different types?
    I would be rather crushed to spend days setting shit up, only to discover that, no, the one thing you wanna do requires the thing only 100 people per server can get.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I bought an apartment room which gives access to the chocobo stable out front for giving it the level-up onions, that's significantly cheaper (and easier) than getting an available housing plot.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If your FC has a house that also works.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

You pug them, progression is you start at level 1 on floor 1 and level up quickly to 50 by floor 50. You also get armor+weapon upgrades from silver chests that carry over between runs and jobs and make it easier. Once you reach floor 50, you can start from it on new files, and people mostly just run 50-60 over and over to farm exp. 10 floors takes about as long or a little less than a dungeon run and gives similar real exp to one at the end.

The most important aspect that makes this fast is that there are no enforced roles in PotD. You can very much do it with 4 DPS and most pug groups will be that setup.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    The one thing that makes me hesitant to buy a house is the 45 day of inactivity limit. Don't get me wrong, it's necessary and good, but I don't want to have to stay subscribed perpetually, lest I lost millions of gil. Not a good feeling at all.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

FINAL FANTASY XVI was just announced! We'll share more in 2021, so I hope you'll look forward to it!

I'll be the Producer for #FF16 while continuing to serve as the Producer & Director for #FFXIV. I'll strive to do my best on both!! - Naoki Yoshida

reVerse on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Well that would explain the heavy FF14 vibes I'm getting from 16.

16 takes place on one of the shards confirmed

• Options
    Maybe the story will revolve around him trying to buy a house and having to fight 10 000 other people for a single small cottage.

• Options
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I bought an apartment room which gives access to the chocobo stable out front for giving it the level-up onions, that's significantly cheaper (and easier) than getting an available housing plot.
    you don't need to stable them to use the level cap onions, you can just summon them as a combat pet with gyshal greens and use the onion while targeting them there.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Motherf...

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Since when?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    We finish out the new Tales from the Shadows with An Unpromised Tomorrow, in which those who fought to save a past no longer their own find their work did not go unnoticed...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Since when?

I dunno. Since I first tried leveling past 10 sometime in early shadowbringers or late stormblood right before shadowbringers launched.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    We finish out the new Tales from the Shadows with An Unpromised Tomorrow, in which those who fought to save a past no longer their own find their work did not go unnoticed...

Makes sense somewhat.
    It's not like there would be no 8th astral era. At bare minimum Elidibus would show up to help out because they don't want to destroy the source.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options

Makes sense somewhat.
    It's not like there would be no 8th astral era. At bare minimum Elidibus would show up to help out because they don't want to destroy the source.
    questionable if the ascians can still reach that timeline the way they normally travel between shards, they don't seem to be aware of where the crystal tower on the first came from.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Welp, done everything I can for Skybuilder, now I just have to hope I don't get shoved out of the top 12.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Makes sense somewhat.
    questionable if the ascians can still reach that timeline the way they normally travel between shards, they don't seem to be aware of where the crystal tower on the first came from.

ascians are funny because like every story beat encounter with mortals in the game is them going "wait what the fuck is that. you can do THAT? i thought i was omnipotent about all magic what the fuck is that."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Makes sense somewhat.

ascians are funny because like every story beat encounter with mortals in the game is them going "wait what the fuck is that. you can do THAT? i thought i was omnipotent about all magic what the fuck is that."

"aw shucks, I shouldn't have spent all that time cackling evilly behind a mask"

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Makes sense somewhat.

You would assume
    there were ascians in that time line too. Separate time line separate thing
    Aldo wrote: »

Makes sense somewhat.

Pride and Hubris are potent.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    The one thing that makes me hesitant to buy a house is the 45 day of inactivity limit. Don't get me wrong, it's necessary and good, but I don't want to have to stay subscribed perpetually, lest I lost millions of gil. Not a good feeling at all.

I understand your sentiment because I've definitely been there in other games. This is a classic example of Sunk Cost Fallacy. You can't recover the funds anyway, so staying subscribed just because you spent a bunch of funds on housing isn't providing much benefit.

This would be the same as me continuing my WoW sub because I didn't want to lose access to the mount collection I'd spent a lot of time and money putting together. Ultimately, the game wasn't fun for me anymore and I didn't have the free time to play it the way I liked, so I unsubscribed.

• Options
    Well, your mount collection won't disappear should you resubscribe. I imagine the FOMO here is working on the assumption that they would be coming back at some point.

• Options

Makes sense somewhat.

You would assume
    there were ascians in that time line too. Separate time line separate thing
    Aldo wrote: »

Makes sense somewhat.

Pride and Hubris are potent.

the second-to-last tales from the shadows also says
    the millennia of body-hopping and being tempered was probably wearing away at their memories and personalities and turning them more megalomaniacal and psychopathic

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Welp, done everything I can for Skybuilder, now I just have to hope I don't get shoved out of the top 12.

Did they do anything to mitigate the amount of bots that filled the lists last time?

• Options
    Okay, so before I waste a bunch of fruit- I have a general understanding of how feeding a chocobo (to dye it) works, however the instructions are ambiguous. On one hand, you're given a feeding order, but they also state that, should you get no feather change message, you should just keep feeding it the same fruit? Even though the feeding order is preset and alternates fruit?

Which one is it? Do I keep feeding them in proscribed order until I get the message, or do I keep feeding the first fruit on the list?

And as an addendum, can I just feed it the entire queue of fruit and hit the final hue after 6h as some people in Reddit comments seem to imply, or do I need to do it change by change?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Okay, so before I waste a bunch of fruit- I have a general understanding of how feeding a chocobo (to dye it) works, however the instructions are ambiguous. On one hand, you're given a feeding order, but they also state that, should you get no feather change message, you should just keep feeding it the same fruit? Even though the feeding order is preset and alternates fruit?

Which one is it? Do I keep feeding them in proscribed order until I get the message, or do I keep feeding the first fruit on the list?

And as an addendum, can I just feed it the entire queue of fruit and hit the final hue after 6h as some people in Reddit comments seem to imply, or do I need to do it change by change?

Yeah you can just shotgun all the fruit in one cycle to get there, the fruit order is because there is a set range of values the color variables can be, and if you would exit that range, you get nothing. So you've gotta alternate between +color and -color to keep it in range so the other colors you're trying to tweak can shift.

Assuming nothing has changed from when I colorized my chocobo back around the 5.1 patch, at least.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yeah you can just shotgun all the fruit in one cycle to get there, the fruit order is because there is a set range of values the color variables can be, and if you would exit that range, you get nothing. So you've gotta alternate between +color and -color to keep it in range so the other colors you're trying to tweak can shift.

Assuming nothing has changed from when I colorized my chocobo back around the 5.1 patch, at least.

Yeah, it caps out at like 255 of each point so you just have to avoid overflowing 0 or 255 when feeding. The messages don't always pop up since I think sometimes you won't move into a different color result with a feeding.

• Options
    Maaan, I just want to do Cinder Drift for the first time!

67 minutes in the queue and 0/2 0/2 2/4 :rotate:

At least I don't technically have to do it before I move on with the MSQ, but still.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Maaan, I just want to do Cinder Drift for the first time!

67 minutes in the queue and 0/2 0/2 2/4 :rotate:

At least I don't technically have to do it before I move on with the MSQ, but still.

If you're waiting that long for anything, don't queue for it. Use Party Finder. Create a PF group, mention it's your first time doing it. You'll get takers.

• Options
    T... talk to strangers? But that's what the emotes are for!

• Options
    I got it, finally; I knew it had to align with people using Trials queue at some point. :lol:

It was super easy. I considered just doing PF, but I haven't had a ton of luck doing first time things there. I've tried getting even small groups to run through the remaining two sets of Alexander raids I never did from HW, but haven't gotten any takers.

I don't always play at the best times to get people though.

It's all good. It's not like I don't have any number of other things to do while in queue. Not playing really since 5.0, I've got plenty of catching up all over.

This discussion has been closed.