As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    WOO!!! IT CAME IT CAME!!! Finally, after decades of my life I finally have a VF-1J Armored Valkyrie! For those who are not Macross geeks the toy I'm describing is the Arcadia Macross Valkyrie VF-1J toy that was re-re-released a few weeks ago. Apparently this was released long ago under the previous company Yamato in 2009, then Arcadia released their version in 2015 and this is their re-release. An abridged story is that Yamato went under as a company and Arcadia started up after that and took over some of their molds and licenses.

So here's a story for you all. Long ago when I was a young robot fanatic my parents fueled it with lots of robots and Japanese cartoons. Ok, so not as much as we have today, but I got to see the US releases and some Japanese ones while we were in Hawaii. We would get lots of random robots, toys and models of random shows (some we knew, others not a clue) when we were good and my parents (or grandparents) would spoil us. Out of these, I had a few Macross models and toys. The one model I held onto forever and tried to paint (not very good) was an Armored VF-1D. Yeah I always thought it was a VF-1J but looking at it now it is actually a VF-1D head. Since then I've always wanted a toy of it. I couldn't remember it in the cartoon (Robotech or even Macross) till now while I watch my AnimeEigo Macross DVDs of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (the Japanese title for the original cartoon).

So yeah, now I'm so glad I kept my Arcadia VF-1J Armored Valkyrie order because I can now take this photo of my two versions of Valkyries I have always wanted growing up with that old model.

vf-1J_Armored_01.jpg

I took more photos behind the spoilers of the toy. The one thing my wife pointed out was that the head was way too small for the body. Yeah, the cartoon cheated... Then we noticed that the head lasers actually are placed in the wrong spot, they should be mid head and not near the back. Never realized that with my Milia VF-1J... Now I can't unsee it! Anyways, I love the toy and will enjoy posing it. I almost did lose a plate that the hand goes onto for the armor since it fell out while putting it together. Also I can't figure out if the hip missiles are put on right since the right side keeps on popping off easily. I do have to say the good things about it which are the feet covers to make it look like they are the correct size and how easy it is to put on with all the different parts that make up each armor part.
    vf-1J_Armored_02.jpg
    vf-1J_Armored_03.jpg
    vf-1J_Armored_04.jpg
    vf-1J_Armored_05.jpg

Edit: Took out some text that I had for a post on a Macross thread asking for help.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That is a chunky boy

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Couple of new Select announcements

First is a japanese exclusive PotP Dinobots Boxset with some new accessories (feet and swords) and better paintjobs.

Secondly is the last Transformers Tuesday announcement, coming out of left field, Shattered Glass Optimus Prime and Ratchet. (Shattered Glass is the mirror universe of the Transformers; Heroic Decepticons vs Evil Autobots)

Aside from Kingdoms/Studio Series leaks, we're probably pretty good for reveals until PulseCon happens later this month. There's also the Galactic Odyssey stuff, but the countdown on the amazon page is broken, so who knows if they'll keep that schedule. 29 days left for the last week. :biggrin:

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I really don’t care about Shattered Glass, so that’s an easy pass

That combined Dino looks awful, but it would be kinda neat to have them for their individual modes... not sure if it’ll be worth the price though...

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    I really don’t care about Shattered Glass, so that’s an easy pass

That combined Dino looks awful, but it would be kinda neat to have them for their individual modes... not sure if it’ll be worth the price though...

Dinobots are rumored to be getting new releases in the studio series line (in leader class, no less!) so unless you specifically want a combiner team of Dinobots, you're probably better off waiting for the studio series ones.

But are they confirmed G1 style? Because typically Studio Series is Bay movie designs.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited September 2020
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers-hasbro-Tra-Gen-Studio-Series-Ldr-86-Slag-N-Dani/586783009

'86 would imply the 1986 movie, which would explain why Slag (a character who doesn't appear in the bay films) and Daniel (taken from a different listing, also not in the bay films) are there.

Given multiple other entries (Grimlock w/ Wheelie, Kup, Blurr, Hot Rod, Scourge) would seem to indicate that there's an '86 subline for the Studio Series, which makes sense because next year is the 35th anniversary and they're already busy doing Beast Wars characters in the main Generations line because it's the 25th anniversary of that next year as well.

Undead Scottsman on
    That is a chunky boy

Yeah I guess I should have taken a photo of it out if the armor so you can see how fat it makes the Valkyrie.

I don't know about Shattered Glass but I liked the purple Optimus Prime so had to pre-order the set. I do know that there was a Masterpiece version that I almost bought last year so this is much smaller and easier to fit on the shelves.

Oh really??? They think that the SS Dinobots are going to be more G1 than Movie looks? Man, if that is the case I might end up selling my existing set for these ones. Although I love the current versions that form the abomination above since they remind me of the original toys, but more articulation and smaller.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think I’d be down for SG Optimus.

And Studio series 1st gen Dinobots are damn tempting

It's not confirmed by Hasbro yet, but we've been seeing listings for several months now. (It might be several months, time hard to keep track of these days). Still waiting for pictures or an official announcement.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    WOO!!! IT CAME IT CAME!!! Finally, after decades of my life I finally have a VF-1J Armored Valkyrie! For those who are not Macross geeks the toy I'm describing is the Arcadia Macross Valkyrie VF-1J toy that was re-re-released a few weeks ago. Apparently this was released long ago under the previous company Yamato in 2009, then Arcadia released their version in 2015 and this is their re-release. An abridged story is that Yamato went under as a company and Arcadia started up after that and took over some of their molds and licenses.

So here's a story for you all. Long ago when I was a young robot fanatic my parents fueled it with lots of robots and Japanese cartoons. Ok, so not as much as we have today, but I got to see the US releases and some Japanese ones while we were in Hawaii. We would get lots of random robots, toys and models of random shows (some we knew, others not a clue) when we were good and my parents (or grandparents) would spoil us. Out of these, I had a few Macross models and toys. The one model I held onto forever and tried to paint (not very good) was an Armored VF-1D. Yeah I always thought it was a VF-1J but looking at it now it is actually a VF-1D head. Since then I've always wanted a toy of it. I couldn't remember it in the cartoon (Robotech or even Macross) till now while I watch my AnimeEigo Macross DVDs of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (the Japanese title for the original cartoon).

So yeah, now I'm so glad I kept my Arcadia VF-1J Armored Valkyrie order because I can now take this photo of my two versions of Valkyries I have always wanted growing up with that old model.

vf-1J_Armored_01.jpg

I took more photos behind the spoilers of the toy. The one thing my wife pointed out was that the head was way too small for the body. Yeah, the cartoon cheated... Then we noticed that the head lasers actually are placed in the wrong spot, they should be mid head and not near the back. Never realized that with my Milia VF-1J... Now I can't unsee it! Anyways, I love the toy and will enjoy posing it. I almost did lose a plate that the hand goes onto for the armor since it fell out while putting it together. Also I can't figure out if the hip missiles are put on right since the right side keeps on popping off easily. I do have to say the good things about it which are the feet covers to make it look like they are the correct size and how easy it is to put on with all the different parts that make up each armor part.
    vf-1J_Armored_02.jpg
    vf-1J_Armored_03.jpg
    vf-1J_Armored_04.jpg
    vf-1J_Armored_05.jpg

Edit: Took out some text that I had for a post on a Macross thread asking for help.
    Hey, that's a cool Jetfire toy!

:rotate:

Jetfire? Seriously??

It’s Skyfire, duhhhh

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Got my wires all macrossed

So it’s pretty cool to see how Optimus has diverged from the original Diaclone toy

Behold the new Diaclone Battle Convoy

x13lixwamjd5.jpeg
    wu7kyby90dd0.jpeg

I believe in robot mode it’s about 7 inches tall. The whole set is apparently around $300. I’d like to check out some of this new Diaclones line but goddamn is it so expensive

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Oh man, that really is awesome looking. I am with you and slightly tempted.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Speak of the devil (i.e. gobots), couple of the "mp" machine robo figures are up for preorder.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?Brand=8487

Speak of the devil (i.e. gobots), couple of the "mp" machine robo figures are up for preorder.

Pre-ordered Jet. I have the Steam Robo and it is really awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Funko update: I got a second shelf
    PXL-20200910-232154191.jpg

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    You certainly took the plunge into Funko Pops didn't ya?

edited September 2020
    Eh, money is going to be worthless in five years, might as well enjoy it now. :wink:

Undead Scottsman on
    It's been fun for sure. I've been getting my friends into it and going around stores looking for them. Dunno how long I'll be into it but I really like dumb trinkets like these. One day I'll probably have to move and rather than move them all, I'd just sell em and keep a handful of ones I like most. What's nice is because they do so many lines, side characters get a chance at being made. I'd never thought I'd have a H.E.R.B.I.E. figure lmao

I've never been much of a fan of Pops, but I'm all about people getting what makes them happy, and I enjoy seeing other people's cool shit

and they definitely do have variety. Where else am I gonna get a Butt Stallion??
    Betsuni wrote: »

Pre-ordered Jet. I have the Steam Robo and it is really awesome.

I pre-ordered Jet as well. I still have the original in a bucket somewhere. Definitely played with it all the time as a little kid

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Eh, money is going to be worthless in five years, might as well enjoy it now. :wink:

Damn. Hmm, I should probably buy some more dolls for financial stability, eh? The dollar may drop, but BJDs appreciate in value!

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »

Damn. Hmm, I should probably buy some more dolls for financial stability, eh? The dollar may drop, but BJDs appreciate in value!

Yes!!! Plus they bring luck and happiness.*

* Luck and happiness may vary per Owner.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I picked up the last Legendary creatures funko I was looking for a few weeks ago. It was the Kappa. Have one of each of the original line now. Pretty sad the line was discontinued before it was finished, some pretty neat folklore critters in there with really cool sculpts. Need to post some pics of them at some point. Looking at the second run of the neca gremlin reproductions, considering the pre-order as a christmas present for myself. =P

Speaking of cool creature Funkos, I did like the Songbird Pop from Bioshock Infinite. It didn't look quite like a normal Pop
    tkcih4fbauou.jpeg

I should probably pick one up....

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Couple of new Select announcements

First is a japanese exclusive PotP Dinobots Boxset with some new accessories (feet and swords) and better paintjobs.
    For those in the US, looks like Hasbro is going to be bringing it over and selling it from their shop (as well as a bunch of other US online toy shops).
    https://hasbropulse.com/collections/new/products/transformers-takara-tomy-generations-selects-volcanicus-hasbro-pulse-exclusive
    $188.99. Odd price but there it is... If I didn't already have the entire set I probably would go for this one (and never combine them like my current group). Especially since I like the coloring of some of them more than the previous release.

Also the leaked 86 SS series Hot Rod and Kup look to be more in line with the original toys so yeah, looks like we probably will get the G1 style robots in the Studio Series line which is weird but makes sense since they're calling them the 86 Studio Series referencing the original cartoon. This sort of bugs me since I might go for these and have to unload my Headmasters variants now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    So Super7 is making updated versions of the original TMNT toys. The first wave preorders sold out fairly fast, and I didn’t really bite because Super7 mostly does those Reaction figures that are very basic, and preview pics of these Ultimates made it look like barely any articulation.

Well people have been getting the first wave in and they’re pretty rad, bigger, more detailed, more articulation, but still very much looking like the original toy.

BBTS just got some of wave 1 in for purchase. It’s a bit over the original retail, but still a lot better than reseller prices. Raph and Baxter are already sold out again as singles:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HidePreorder=true&Series=17976&Brand=2431&Company=279

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    I remember my neighbor's kids loving TMNT when he was little and I would baby sit them. They would love playing as the turtles while I had to be a foot soldier so I remember that figure.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I love TMNT toys but those are steep

Maybe just one though...

I was HUUUUGE into TMNT as a kid. I must have had like 7 birthdays with TMNT as the theme, and was a ninja turtle for Halloween as many times.

I loved it all: toys, cartoon, games, live action movies.

For some reason, all of NECA’s releases with the cartoon style figures and live action accurate figures hasn’t really done much for me. I think my mind views the toys as the core design, and everything else as derivatives. So yeah, these Ultimates are speaking directly to my lizard(turtle?) brain, and I’m glad to get wave 1 for a reasonable price.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    I also loved TMNT, but I got into it late and all my toys were the odd themed ones. Like Magician and Baseball Raph. The toys were excellent tho. I remember loving my Casey Jones.

I absolutely loved all the transforming TMNT toys. I think they were better than a lot of the Transformers coming out at the time, in terms of design and fun transformations.

I actually didn't really care much for the regular TMNT toys - they didn't have enough gimmicks for my tastes - but I loved all the TMNT-with-gimmicks ones, like the aforementioned transforming ones, the ones with armor that could be removed and combined into a mythological animal, the Polly Pocket/Mighty Max-style playsets.

Those Mini sets were so badass. I remember a friend had the TMNT blimp.

Maybe just one though...

Didn't you say that about the Funko Pops?

I love reading all the nostalgia here on TMNT. I loved watching an episode here and there and all of the old movies, but I was old enough to be out of the toy realm by then.

oosik_betsuni.png
    True, which is why I already have an entire line of TMNT pops pre-ordered lmao

Those Mini sets were so badass. I remember a friend had the TMNT blimp.
    I liked how all over the place they were, too. There were the ones shaped like regular turtles; the ones inside traditional TMNT weapons; inside TMNT character heads; inside full-sized TMNT action figures. Basically, search for the "mini-mutant [something something] playsets" on here:
    http://www.tmnttoys.com/figures1987.html

Looks like they revived the concepts of these playsets (and some of the transforming TMNT toys, as well) for some of the recent TMNT revival shows. That's great! I hope some kids enjoyed those things as much as I did.

Maybe just one though...

Lol

Yeah, I’m actually a bit upset BBTS put these up at $60 a piece. Normally they’re $45, and the other waves are priced correctly, and this wave they originally had priced correctly, but apparently they got in some extra of wave 1, obviously know how hot they are, and decided to jack it up a bit. Kinda scummy, but still better than eBay. People are putting Raph up for stupid prices

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg

Maybe just one though...

Lol

Yeah, I’m actually a bit upset BBTS put these up at $60 a piece. Normally they’re $45, and the other waves are priced correctly, and this wave they originally had priced correctly, but apparently they got in some extra of wave 1, obviously know how hot they are, and decided to jack it up a bit. Kinda scummy, but still better than eBay. People are putting Raph up for stupid prices

I caved, went back for the Raph, sold out. Not a big loss but damn lol

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    BBTS is kinda notorious on their pricing.

They are basically my “I can’t get it anywhere else” go to because of it.