As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah having played through both choices I would say
    As a Gears of War fan there is no way I would break Marcus' heart like that. Seeing that weight hang on him was soul-crushing (and holy fucking shit the acting throughout that story is top notch). Just imagine how broken of a man Marcus is with how his entire family is now gone
    I also like Del a lot but he wasn't a deeply sympathetic, complex character or anything and his death doesn't necessarily bum me out that much lol

As someone looking at it purely from a narrative standpoint I would have let JD die, as it closes the chapter on his redemptive character arc. It naturally follows his motivation to make amends for the suffering he caused, and he would likely go willingly, as melodramatic as it sounds. JD dying in of itself doesn't bum me out that much either but it's a fitting throughline for his character development

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I could do Markus like that. Hes lost Anya, lost Dom, lost Tai and countless other friends. I couldn't take away JD.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Both choices produce compelling results
    Choosing JD results in a reconciliation between JD and Marcus as they bond over the loss of a close brother in arms.

Choosing Del results in probably the most powerful scene in the entire franchise. The sad, broken "God dammit James" is heartwrenching and actually has the pathos that something like the Maria scene in Gears of War 2 could only wish it had.

Ultimately, JD was a fuckup who did a lot of stupid stuff that got people hurt trying to live in the shadow of Marcus Fenix. When goings got tough, he became more of an asshole. He was apologetic in the end, but that change happened off camera so it didn't resonate very well.

Meanwhile Del was faithful to his friends throughout the entirety of Gears 4 and 5. No way I could reward that loyalty by killing him off.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    they animated and acted the hell out of that scene. It was gut wrenching seeing Marcus' reaction to Kait handing him the tags. Ultimately though I don't think I could choose to fridge Del just to complete JD's arc, especially with how much of his face turn happens off screen.

Yeah, either result is a good one.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just guessing at Marcus' reaction was enough to sway me to go with JD rather than Del. If Del's unseen mother or father were literally a character in four previous GOW games, or JD wasn't Marcus' son, it would've been difficult still. In actuality, Marcus' reaction at Del's death is clearly an extremely strong one too, even if you knew how much he personally liked Del.

I even admitted it in my original "review."
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I finished Gears of War 5 on Tuesday, earlier than expected (this might be the fastest completion for a title in the franchise for me, at least on harder-than-normal difficulty). My thoughts (with major spoilers):
    The metacritic score for Gears 5 is 85, one point over Gears of War 4. Arguably, metacritic scores (as averages of many reviews) are arbitrary, though less arbitrary than any single review picked at random. But to be honest, I generally agree with this: Gears 5 is an excellent game, and ever so slightly better than its predecessor, which was also an excellent game. I look forward to a few years from now, when Gears of War (?) 6 comes out, and the internet celebrates it as a remarkable return to form after the generally lackluster Gears 5.

It's a good game. I'm probably weird in that the singleplayer experience is 80 to 90% of my Gears of War experience in any given title, ever since Horde and even Escape Mode (which I do enjoy) have become occasional pass times. Setting aside a couple hours to play through Horde even on "Beginner" is a daunting task. So almost everything comes from singleplayer--and that was a hell of a ride. Not perfect by any means--in fact, probably not the best singleplayer experience in the franchise--but still thoroughly enjoyable.

The game is a masterpiece of technology. Even on Xbox One, we're looking at a really good looking game that runs remarkably well. It has one of the best (and most flexible) HDR implementations anywhere period, so everyone who's been ranting about how HDR is more important than higher resolutions, shut up and play this game. On Xbox One X, it's probably the best looking third-person shooter ever to come to console, especially when treated as a a whole. I've yet to finish Control, though I have see, visually, about 95% of what the game has to offer on console--it's surprisingly difficult to compare these two games from a technical standpoint, because in Gears 5, you're not going to have a room full of identical desks each loaded with a stapler, a few pens, a 386 PC, and a dozen other items that you can knock over and send scattering. And in Control, you don't get to visit an enormous desert, watch snow drifts shift with the wind, and play at 60 FPS (well, you get the later on PC with enough hardware). Or HDR. Even considering the probably technological superiority of Control on PC compared to Gears 5 on the same (there's no ray-tracing in Gears 5 as far as I know), I'd firmly give Gears 5 the overall edge, by a comfortable margin, on console by virtue of everything it does that Control doesn't, and the fact that it does it at twice the framerate.

And I like the story. It's not perfect--it's certainly easier to point out the flaws--and it's shorter than expected, which is either good or bad depending on your situation--but it's still really, really good (and here I'll stop making comparisons to Control or any Remedy game). Laura Bailey knocked it out of the park, and (in lieu of not watching dubbed anime anymore since I no longer have cable television) is now one of my favorite voice actresses in gaming--between this, Halo 5, Shadow of War, even Resident Evil 6 and World of Warcraft, I think she's been knocking it out of the park (I've heard she's also good in Spiderman). I eagerly await her returning as Kait in the sequel--the fact that Kait isn't my favorite Gear...of War...doesn't diminish that. Kait's still an excellent lead, even if sometimes her behavior and actions are a little...dubious in a way that's not really that surprising for the franchise going back this long. I never grew tired of her either in the linear sections or in the open world, which is an addition that that works substantially better than I would've expected (as a replacement to "go left or right"), even if it means I'm going to have to spend more time replaying the game just to do basic collection. On a scale of the original Mass Effect Mako (a zero--come at me) and the Halo Warthog (a ten), the skiff as a traversal vehicle is a comfortable 8, and a pleasure to ride (which is good, because there's no fast travel?). Kait's chemistry with Del(mont) is overall great, to the point where I honestly liked Del more than her at the end of the game, come the time to make that heartbreaking decision.

I saved J.D.. Not because I like J.D. more, but because I couldn't live with the guilt of returning to Marcus without his baby boy. Forgive me, Del, you were my favorite, and Marcus loved you like a son, but I can't help but break his heart the least possible. I am, of course, operating on assumption--watching Marcus respond to James' death would be too difficult. And I'm a little angry at the choice (or these kind of choices in general, going back to Mass Effect and before that)...you can tell this is what a few reviews referred to as "taking bold risks for the franchise," and I understand the motivation why, but....hmmm.

Sophie's Choice aside, excluding a single annoying boss battle in Act II--I suppose ever game in the franchise has at least one--I still enjoyed pretty much every minute of the game. It does feel a little short, but I suspect that's a combination of length and just how easy it was to tell myself, "Okay, just another twenty minutes."--generally a rarity for games. The thing is just a pleasure to play, and while it's not perfect, I like the combination of (small) open world acts and more linear, highly-intense sections. And I'll never forget Del and Kait--"'Cause he's a fucking robot!" "That's not his fault!". I actually never found myself disliking J.D.--some of his decisions, certainly, but the clearly evident remorse he feels (and his willingness to convey it) kept him from turning to me. That might speak to one of the weaker parts of the writing: Kait and Del's strong sense of betrayal being aimed not so much as J.D.'s past act (which he's ashamed of, even if he does hide it initially--his actual defection from the military to Kait's band probably counts for something), but his apparent coldness and distance (you know, after being in a coma and getting people killed in a earnest mistake) felt like it could've been handled better. There's no way Fahz, tremendous douchebag that he starts out as, doesn't become one of my favorite characters when he's voiced by Rahul "Hollywood's Badboy" "I ain't no Pussy" "AAHHHHH!" Kohli--I think the game made as good an effort as any setting up a foil to deliberately turn around over the length of the game. Seeing his response to Del's death--"Haha, look who's rescuing who...now...?" followed by broken silence--is easily one of the most memorable scenes of the game. It's hard to picture his response to J.D.'s death being more poignant. Really, despite Kait's obvious elevation from stealth protagonist to full protagonist, it seems hard not to say that it's not her relationship with her mother, but J.D.'s years-long reconciliation with his father at Del's death and his own acknowledgment of his faults (which are far more relevant to Marcus than Kait) that is the emotional core of Gears 6.

I knew Cole wasn't going to die. I did, for a second, scream in horror inside my head "Oh god, no, there's no way I they killed both black guys. No no no no no nononono." Cole can't die off-screen, that's not how this works. But he came back, and all was well. I still love Cole, and Baird, for all their camp and goofiness, a sort of emotional catharsis to keep you going in the bleakness of the story.

There's a lot arbitrary about game review scores, or even averages of a wide variety of scores. Some people didn't like Gears of War 4, and some people won't like this one. For me, though, that's two home runs. I'll be buying this game, either when it goes off Gamepass, or before that, and I'm excited about a Kait-led Gears of War 6.

I'll miss you, Del. Who knows, maybe I'm too easy to please.

tl;dr--I liked it a lot.

Synthesis on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    JD is a stronger character in 5, which is impressive considering I thought he was pretty much Bland Protagonist, Figure 1 in 4.
    If I were making it purely based on moral choice, Del's had my back the whole game.
    But flawed characters are more interesting, and I prefer to keep them around to be interesting. Same reason I tend to save Ashley over Kaiden in ME.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Speaking of Gears 5:
    I hope they expand more on Kait's connectionto the Swarm. The scene where you control the Swarm was cool at it would make for a much better gameplay mechanic than having Jack "hack" and enemy.

Speaking of Gears 5:
    I hope they expand more on Kait's connectionto the Swarm. The scene where you control the Swarm was cool at it would make for a much better gameplay mechanic than having Jack "hack" and enemy.
    While they could certainly retcon it, the game is pretty explicit that her connection to the Swarm was severed. (Well, the psychic connection; obviously her mother reincarnating as a Swarm queen is a definite connection)

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    In hindsight I guess it was kind of unfair to want to be attached to the new kids in 4 as much as we were to the original trilogy cast. Most of the characters in the first game had fairly flat, simple personalities that didn't really get much nuance until 2 and 3, by which point we've seen them for tens of hours worth of story

5's writing is especially special with how much it flips their established archetypes on their heads. The trio did very little more than crack wise and pull solutions out of their ass most of the time in 4, and one of the driving character conflicts in 5 explores how that kind of action-hero attitude (coming from this misguided insecurity) results in people getting hurt. The cast just ends up feeling a little more believably human as a result.

It's so fucking cool

BRIAN BLESSED on
    Speaking of Gears 5:
    While they could certainly retcon it, the game is pretty explicit that her connection to the Swarm was severed. (Well, the psychic connection; obviously her mother reincarnating as a Swarm queen is a definite connection)
    they left the hook of Jinn wanting to re-establish Kait's connection to the swarm. Delta firmly said "fuck that" and then New Ephrya got attacked so it's kind of dangling in a way where they could ignore it is circle back around to it.

Carpy wrote: »
    Speaking of Gears 5:
    they left the hook of Jinn wanting to re-establish Kait's connection to the swarm. Delta firmly said "fuck that" and then New Ephrya got attacked so it's kind of dangling in a way where they could ignore it is circle back around to it.
    I felt severing the connection was dumb, as it was interesting.

klemming wrote: »
    JD is a stronger character in 5, which is impressive considering I thought he was pretty much Bland Protagonist, Figure 1 in 4.
    If I were making it purely based on moral choice, Del's had my back the whole game.
    But flawed characters are more interesting, and I prefer to keep them around to be interesting. Same reason I tend to save Ashley over Kaiden in ME.
    True. Del is also boing in 4 though, in the sense of "funny sidekick and that's about it." 5 was a big step up.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Went back and finished 4 - maybe it suffered from playing a bunch and then going back to knock out the last two chapters but it felt ... really underwhelming. Got to the end and welp, "that's it?".

Patching 5, hopefully more to it.

4 felt like it just had the task of taking the 'we won for all time, franchise over' ending of 3 and coming up with a way to get the world back to a state they could have games in it. Once they had that, they could get more ambitious with 5, and they did.

4 was also the "we just got handed this franchise with an established fanbase, we best not deviate too far lest we piss them off." game for the Coalition.

4 ends in a gigantic-ass semi-rails kaiju-mecha fight which in the greater scheme of things doesn't really mean much but is awesome and totally fit in with the spirit of Gears' nutty set piece action. Some Gears games don't actually climax with a traditional boss fight, and that's perfectly okay

4 was also the "we just got handed this franchise with an established fanbase, we best not deviate too far lest we piss them off." game for the Coalition.
    Yeah, first you prove you can make the game like it was, then you can change things up.

edited September 2020
    I wasn't really sure about the giant mecha stuff at the end. I assumed it would have a more intense and personal / up close part after that seque....the end. Wait, what? I mean, wha...the end. I felt like there needed to be more, given you now had a decent team of new and old gears. Instead, just go in this little cave here and watch the thing.

Nosf on
    I liked 4 more than 5. I didn't really like the open world elements? And the big reveal:
    Swarm=Locus

Was kinda boring, felt too safe.

I liked 4 more than 5. I didn't really like the open world elements? And the big reveal:
    Swarm=Locus

I just assumed they were, isn't this established in 4, not 5?

Swarm=Locus

I thought that was revealed in 4. The 5 thing was that
    the locust were created by humans researching immulsion and rustlung

Carpy wrote: »
    Swarm=Locus

I thought that was revealed in 4. The 5 thing was that
    the locust were created by humans researching immulsion and rustlung
    Maybe I'm misremembering, but I swore it wasn't obviously stated. I mean there was clearly something going on with their bodies and mutation. I just kinda though they were a new threat making use of all those free bodies, or a parasite that took control? Idk.

The Rustlung thing wasn't so much a reveal as a confirmationof what 2 and 3 hinted at.

Oh, I thought we knew that back in 2 or 3, when you find the Sires?

Oh, the whole thing with 5 is it appears to be in 60fps now! That's pretty keen for sure, and so far it looks really, really good.

edited September 2020
    Re: the Swarm and Locust
    It's made explicit in 4 that the Swarm are an evolution of the Locust; the Scions are even evolved Locust Drones while the Swarm Drones seem to be made from dissolved humans.

Re: Locust Origins
    It's been rumored/hinted at for awhile, but the explicit relationship between rustlung, the new hope facility, the Sires, Myrrah and the Locust was never explained until Gears 5. There's still a few bits that might bear more explanation (namely whether the "ancient sires" that are mentioned by the Kantus leader in "The Rise of RAAM" comic are different from the New Hope sires (suggesting there are non-human made Locust, I.E. the Kantus) which would also explain how they went from a group of lab experiments to a massive underground civilization in less than 80 years.

Undead Scottsman on
    I'm not super big into the lore, and the timeline always seeemed pretty dodgy. I always sort of nebulously figured that humans had been doing some shit with something something / disease / imulsion which lead to the sires, which lead to the locust. I never could figure out how they had a human queen, or how they spread so fast, and quite how the lambent figured in. It felt like the sires only went back about 3 generations or something. I thought the queen might be like an ant hive, but she lacked the childbearing hips needed to pop all those locusts out, so they had to come about another way. I sort of guessed the lambent were just locust that OD'd on imulsion exposure, like the brumak at the end of 2.

I guess with the end of four that the human queens's daughter was Reyna and Cait is her grandaughter but wasn't sure if she was pinched coincedentally, or purposefully. The lore doesn't really grab me like Destiny's does, but it's not terrible by any means and I don't think it's ever made me kinda mad about some twist, which is a thing that happens in a number of games that are written poorly. I guess with her mom croaking at the end of 4 I'm curious who the new queen will be.

Hilariously, I might have already read about all this and then forgotten when I wandered away from the game to play other stuff!

The best part about 5's storyline is that it specifically confirms a lot of the speculation about lore set up in Gears of War 2 and beyond, and provides context to the setting that while not central to the act of bulldozing through arenas of chest high walls, gives the world much more dimension and character

Yeah, the big trigger for the speculation was...
    The very obviously "non-Locust" Queen Myrrah, who I think other materials between 2 and 3 openly described as "human."

New book announced, Ephyra Rising by Michael A. Stackpole.
    The new original novel set in the untapped years following Gears of War 3, revealing for the first time what occurred in the aftermath of the Locust War, written by New York Times bestselling author Michael A. Stackpole.

The Locust War has ended with an energy weapon that pulsed across the land, destroying Locust and Lambent alike. The world is in shambles and the few survivors are isolated from one another. Humanity must begin anew. This novel reveals the canonical, never-before-seen events set in the time immediately following the game Gears of War 3.

With most of Sera’s civilization destroyed, Sergeant Marcus Fenix and Lieutenant Anya Stroud must somehow rebuild on the ruins. For Marcus, his purpose is impossible to grasp. With no clear enemy to fight, there may be no place left for him in this postwar world. Some call him hero, others view him with resentment.

As Anya struggles to create alliances to re-form the Coalition of Ordered Governments, she quickly discovers how impossible it is to tell friend from foe. Then whispers of Locust still stalking the land begin to spread. Fearing the worst, Marcus forms a team to assess the potential threat. As he and the other Gears search for Locust survivors, however, they quickly discover that the new enemy may be all-too-human, and utterly ruthless.

Interesting that this doesn't appear to be a tie-in to any current game like Ascension (Gears 4/5), Bloodlines (Gears Tactics/Gears5) or Hivebusters. Last time we got that was Rise of RAAM.

Guess I need to finish Bloodlines now.

I'm honestly surprised we don't actually have any tie-in media that actually threads the setting development between 3 and 4, for most other franchises its one of the first things they would have done setting up a new trilogy

I'm honestly surprised we don't actually have any tie-in media that actually threads the setting development between 3 and 4, for most other franchises its one of the first things they would have done setting up a new trilogy

Both Gears of War 4 and 5 have a lot more "in your face optional worldbuilding exhibits" than the previous trilogy (then again, so did Judgement, but I didn't finish that?), so I think they were waiting for the games to set it up before filling in the gaps. Keep an element of "surprise."

I don't know if that was actually a good idea, mind you. How did Star Wars handle it 3 or 4 years ago? Because do the opposite of that. :lol:

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I didn't play 4 but finished 5 recently and it felt like maybe 1/3rd of a complete plot for a game.
    Like, it didn't even really have a central antagonist beyond your mom periodically taunting you and a big a monster showing up twice to take you through the exact same fight.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I didn't play 4 but finished 5 recently and it felt like maybe 1/3rd of a complete plot for a game.
    Like, it didn't even really have a central antagonist beyond your mom periodically taunting you and a big a monster showing up twice to take you through the exact same fight.

Man against self is the plot of 5, a story does not require a main antagonist to be a story.

Man against self is the plot of 5, a story does not require a main antagonist to be a story.

I'd agree if this was a film or a book. Where it's a video game about shooting monsters though I really wanted a compelling antagonist to shoot bullets at.
    The game just felt kind of directionless as it was.
    Like I thought getting the hammer of dawn online would be the throughline of Act 1 when it's basically the sum total of the story.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I mean, killing bosses is generally the worst part of Gears games. The "compelling antagonist to shoot at" is the whole enemy army, which Gears 5 probably has the largest enemy variety in the series? I haven't checked compared to 3, but it's at least close.

I didn't find the enemy variety nor the enemies themselves to be all that compelling personally but that's likely a matter of taste.

Ultimately I don't know exactly what I was expecting but the game felt like a half formed vision for me personally. Almost like it was just DLC for another Gears game.

I was shocked when it was over simply because I was expecting a lot more to play out.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Just picked this up after CoD:MW killed itself. Horde mode really scratches my ME3 itch.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I recently played through Gears 5 again. It was really fun, but on the short side. It needed another act in the middle to break up the two back-to-back "open world" acts.

Gears 3 and Judgment take the cake for variety. It's the black sheep of the series, but I actually really enjoy Judgment's gameplay.

5 is pretty much my favorite in the series for what it does for the setting, but I absolutely have always wished there was a DLC chapter like the good ol' days - mostly to fill out the space between JD and Fahz's relationship that changes between acts from 'extremely antagonistic dick-waving confrontation' to 'hey we cool now'. I wasn't against the change in the team dynamic but I did think they handwaved it too much

edited March 2021
    5 is pretty much my favorite in the series for what it does for the setting, but I absolutely have always wished there was a DLC chapter like the good ol' days - mostly to fill out the space between JD and Fahz's relationship that changes between acts from 'extremely antagonistic dick-waving confrontation' to 'hey we cool now'. I wasn't against the change in the team dynamic but I did think they handwaved it too much

Eh, JD suffered a massivly traumatic experience the left him scarred and a friend's blood on his hands. On top of that, he was left ostracized from his friends and family. It's not surprising that Fahz (who isn't quite as big of a dick as he seemed at first, and was the only only one was okay with what JD did) would wind up filing that void.

I think Bloodlines might fill in that gap but I haven't finished the book yet.

Undead Scottsman on