As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars] so you didn't send the fish Jedi immediately because...?

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Wait let's talk about some good Star Wars shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

Best 6 minutes of pure Star War you will see, straight from ILM.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    That's fuckin' rad.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That was phenomenal. Loved the used of The Imperial March.

I am excited to destroy the evil rebel scourge.

Quid on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm really interested to see how they're going to make the Imperial Remnant playable as "good guys".
    TIE Fighter had it by feeding you a constant stream of propaganda and focusing on peace keeping, anti-smuggling and ferreting out traitors who wanted to form their own empires (and maybe some who planned on deserting to the rebellion) rather than throwing you neck deep into murdering the survivors of Hoth. Sure, you got a few missions along those lines early on to help set the timeline of the game, but they didn't last IIRC.
    But in a post Emperor setting where the Empire has already built and lost two planet killing super weapons and the Republic controls the reigns of the propaganda machine? I'm thinking it may be a bit more difficult.

Maybe they'll just write it that the Imp pilot is an unrepentant asshole who chose his horse long ago and isn't going to change sides just because he's losing now.
    I can hope.

I imagine same way with the cinematic.

You don’t like him because he’s Imperial. You like him because of a mix of his actions, expressed feelings, and art design.

Story wise there are probably more than a few locations that flourished under the Empire that get unfairly targeted by bitter supporters of the New Republic.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I don't need any convincing after seeing these bloodthirsty terrorists gunning down brave imperial pilots!!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »

Yes, give me a trilogy of films about that guy.

edited September 2020

Monkey’s paw wish granted, JJ Abrams will be helming it.

Turns out that guy is a clone of both Vader and Boba Fett. He’ll learn he has force powers and make a mask out of the burnt wreckage of his ship with Linkin Park playing in the background. He has to retrieve a Sith holocron that will tell him the location of the thing he needs to win the movie. At the end of the first movie he’ll fight Juke Flywalker, who is identical to to Luke Skywalker, but 12 feet tall. He loses the fight and dies.

Or does he?

End credits stinger: He wakes up in a clone pod labeled EXEGOL CLONE POD DO NOT REMOVE FROM EXEGOL, ITS CURRENT LOCATION. Palpatine appears and says “No matter how many times you fail, I’ll keep sending you back” before turning to, BIG REVEAL, HE HAS A TIME MACHINE.

I’ll accept payment via either check or Amazon gift cards.

Quid on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »

Turns out that guy is a clone of both Vader and Boba Fett. He’ll learn he has force powers and make a mask out of the burnt wreckage of his ship with Linkin Park playing in the background. He has to retrieve a Sith holocron that will tell him the location of the thing he needs to win the movie. At the end of the first movie he’ll Juke Flywalker, who is identical to to Luke Skywalker, but 12 feet tall. He loses the fight and dies.

Or does he?

End credits stinger: He wakes up in a clone pod labeled EXEGOL CLONE POD DO NOT REMOVE FROM EXEGOL, ITS CURRENT LOCATION. Palpatine appears and says “No matter how many times you fail, I’ll keep sending you back” before returning to, BIG REVEAL, HE HAS A TIME MACHINE.

Day one midnight viewing, for me

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    You know how DC tried super hard to get to Justice League in as few movies as possible and how that didn't pan out? I think something similar happened with how Disney handled Star Wars. Trying to recreate the smash hits of Marvel without understanding the underlying methodology.

Or the rich level of detail and popularity for so many of the characters comprising the avengers. With the elimination of the legacy content from cannon its hard to get people excited for spin off stories. I just think its a fundamentally different product composition and you can't treat them the same way.

I doubt anyone cared about spin-offs because of Star Wars tie-in fiction.

The problem in the end with Solo is that it was a shit movie. I think Rogue One demonstrates that just basic competence was enough to make a profit on this kind of thing. Both I think end up being not too far apart on levels of "Did anyone even ask to have this story told?".

It’s less “did anyone even ask to have this story told?” And more “is there any reason to tell this story?”

I didn’t ask for a Blade Runner sequel and iirc i was pretty trepidatious about it until the trailer made it look amazing. But there definitely was a reason to tell that story.

Rogue one someone had a reason to tell the story. Solo? no one did. (Or if they did they got fired)

Thank you, this is what I was trying to get at by talking about legacy content. There are super fans who are really excited for the story of squirrel girl v thanos that would help drive the buzz for the movie in an appreciable way (also squirrel girl enthusiasts in general). Harder to do when the han solo story has no real constraints tied to beloved source material.

steam_sig.png
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    It's extremely bizarre to me the way writing seems to be treated in Hollywood.

It's like, oh, he has credentials on this other big movie, so he's qualified for the position. No one ever even considers the fact that those movies were infamous for bad writing? The bad writing the bad writer(s) did?

Even assuming it's all about connections and networking I don't get it when you've reached such heights of infamy.

Then again, even film critics don't seem to care about writing too much, much less mass audiences, so maybe they're right to just not care.

Here's thing I have a hard time squaring or explaining in my head, I think TlJ is a good movie, but I don't think it's a good Star Wars movie. For all its faults, TFA was a decent Star Wars movie, even if redundant.

TROS is bad in both categories. Like I love Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but don't want to see the season where they all realize they are terrible people and try to make amends for all of the hurt they caused. Could it be a compelling, insane season? Yes. Would I like it if I was looking to watch Always Sunny? No.

steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    TLJ is the most Star Wars movie so long as Empire Strikes Back is a
    Star Wars movie

wbBv3fj.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the man bun, but yeah, looks good otherwise.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the man bun, but yeah, looks good otherwise.

Looks like it would be bloody uncomfortable under that helmet.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    I always figured the point of the spinning sabers with the Inquisitors was more for intimidation than anything else.

They're dealing with force sensitives and padawan survivors

If a Knight or Master pops up on the radar you get Vader

And that's pretty much how it plays out in rebels, too. The spinny shit is intimidating against like the barely trained noobs, but when ahsoka or maul show up its just kind of a dumb crutch the inquisitors use to try to hide their lack of real skill.

True. I haven't seen in a while, but Kanan and Ezra were all, "Oh shit!" and Ashoka was like, "Pfft."

And then the inquisitors use their spinny lightsabers to fly and it goes right back to being ridiculous.

Agreed. But I feel like some allowances need to be made for the format of the media. It is intended to be a cartoon for kids. That kinda of stuff happens in cartoons. Its goofy, yeah. But it doesn't make me angry.

Filoni and crew really missed a golden opportunity by not having the characters say something witty and marketable like "they fly now".

https://youtu.be/a1Ql7j0xB-s

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Turns out that guy is a clone of both Vader and Boba Fett. He’ll learn he has force powers and make a mask out of the burnt wreckage of his ship with Linkin Park playing in the background. He has to retrieve a Sith holocron that will tell him the location of the thing he needs to win the movie. At the end of the first movie he’ll fight Juke Flywalker, who is identical to to Luke Skywalker, but 12 feet tall. He loses the fight and dies.

Or does he?

End credits stinger: He wakes up in a clone pod labeled EXEGOL CLONE POD DO NOT REMOVE FROM EXEGOL, ITS CURRENT LOCATION. Palpatine appears and says “No matter how many times you fail, I’ll keep sending you back” before turning to, BIG REVEAL, HE HAS A TIME MACHINE.

Okay but I like this part though

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    BABY YODA KNOWS WHATS UP!

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    12-year-old me would probably think 34-year-old me was very, very strange for waiting almost a year to finally see a new Star Wars movie, but here we are. Somehow feels appropriate for the weirdness that is 2020.

The Rise of the MacGuffin: The Plot Device Strikes Back was, um, a thing. Felt like Abrams stood up in front of a whiteboard with a committee of writers and had them call out "cool things they want to see in the movie" and then cobbled them all together into a script without any actual thematic throughline and very little in the way of character arcs.

I don't actually care that they threw out TLJ, even though I generally liked that movie, except I do feel bad for Tran. I'm more annoyed by how most of the movie is spent chasing around meaningless video game bullshit and most of the big plot developments and character moments feel like they were pulled out of thin air 5 minutes before they shot them. But my disappointment is pretty muted because to be honest, all of that's exactly what I expected from Abrams.

All of that said: Some of the ideas on the Writing Committee Whiteboard were pretty cool. Loved the visuals on Exegoth, and the choir of Sith sycophants made for some incredible atmosphere. Flipping over a speeding TIE Fighter in slow motion and slicing off one of its wings is pretty much the best fanservice I've ever seen. The score and sound design was, as usual in a mainline Star Wars film, A++, and the movie's worth watching for that alone. I still like the chemistry between the main cast even when the writers have no idea what to do with them.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    You know what I want back? The Solo kids. My parents introduced me to the OT, but the Young Jedi Knights books made me a fan.

Cut out any ties to the Skywalker drama and set the story a few centuries post-ST. Play up the fact that the kids accidentally perfectly map to the three Jedi PnP classes. It's a great setup for a YA series and an opportunity to map out what a reformed Jedi Order would look like.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    @OremLK : You nailed it. From what I've heard, the whiteboard was literally the writing process.

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    @OremLK : You nailed it. From what I've heard, the whiteboard was literally the writing process.

That's a shame. I didn't know that was literally the case, but yikes. For all that TLJ had some real flaws, it did feel like it was about something.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/12/5/20996444/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-ending-chris-terrio-interview-skywalker-saga
    So we actually started with just a whiteboard. At Bad Robot, there are these big rooms with just white dry erase boards. They literally just surround you everywhere. It’s very dramatic. The wall opens and the boards come out. So we started just with that. Literally, just writing and asking, “What do we want to see happen? These characters, where do we want to see them go? What are the feelings that we want to have? What are the stories that we want to tell? What things do we feel were unresolved either from VII or from VIII or even from Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, VI?” We kind of started with that and then, gradually, that dry erase board became a document that we just called “The Boards.” It was just a Word document that had all these ideas, which eventually grew to be, like, 121 pages of things that we would like to see.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/12/5/20996444/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-ending-chris-terrio-interview-skywalker-saga
    So we actually started with just a whiteboard. At Bad Robot, there are these big rooms with just white dry erase boards. They literally just surround you everywhere. It’s very dramatic. The wall opens and the boards come out. So we started just with that. Literally, just writing and asking, “What do we want to see happen? These characters, where do we want to see them go? What are the feelings that we want to have? What are the stories that we want to tell? What things do we feel were unresolved either from VII or from VIII or even from Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, VI?” We kind of started with that and then, gradually, that dry erase board became a document that we just called “The Boards.” It was just a Word document that had all these ideas, which eventually grew to be, like, 121 pages of things that we would like to see.

That doesn't sound that bad. Just brainstorming that eventually turned into screenwriting.

I mean its bad because there should have been a plan/story in place before they even started TFA.

But this particular method of developing a story doesn't sound egregious.

ObiFett on
    ObiFett wrote: »

That doesn't sound that bad. Just brainstorming that eventually turned into screenwriting.

I mean its bad because there should have been a plan/story in place before they even started TFA.

But this particular method of developing a story doesn't sound particularly egregious.

Assuming that what results is a story instead of just two (plus) hours overstuffed with fanservice and spectacle...

But this particular method of developing a story doesn't sound particularly egregious.

Maybe if they would have done it well.

He literally says, “What things do we feel were unresolved either from VII or from VIII”?

The stuff they did resolve was the dumb stuff.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Assuming that what results is a story instead of just two (plus) hours overstuffed with fanservice and spectacle...

The process itself isn't bad, is all I'm saying.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That actually makes them look worse. Because that's not a terrible place to start. But judging by the end product, what they wrote on those whiteboards was pure distilled stupidity.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    On the other end of the spectrum, George R.R. Martin also has an outline of crazy shit that he wants to have happen. The difference is that he's spent a literally decade trying to write a coherent, consistent way to get his characters to play those events out, to the extent that he's basically written himself in a corner.

But none the crazy shit that happened in the books thus far ever felt out of place because the characters and their motivations made sense, and there was proper foreshadowing. He didn't just have crazy shit happen because it sounded cool.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

It's not the process, but the processors.

Fencingsax wrote: »

GIGO.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    On the other end of the spectrum, George R.R. Martin also has an outline of crazy shit that he wants to have happen. The difference is that he's spent a literally decade trying to write a coherent, consistent way to get his characters to play those events out, to the extent that he's basically written himself in a corner.

But none the crazy shit that happened in the books thus far ever felt out of place because the characters and their motivations made sense, and there was proper foreshadowing. He didn't just have crazy shit happen because it sounded cool.

well we'll see how that turns out. If he can't write himself out of the corner he wrote himself into, it's not that great

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Problem Exists Between Whiteboard And Script

"All of this stuff has to make it into the final movie, how do we make it all fit?"

um, actually, it doesn't and you don't.

well we'll see how that turns out. If he can't write himself out of the corner he wrote himself into, it's not that great

Yes, hence being "on the other end of the spectrum".

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I find it kinda funny that the part he is struggling with the most is the part people care about the least and the show “solved” it by just going ‘and then Dany left Mereen’

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    "All of this stuff has to make it into the final movie, how do we make it all fit?"

um, actually, it doesn't and you don't.

That's the problem exactly. Brainstorming sessions like that are great, but the point is to pare down your ideas after that.

I’ve said it before, almost all the things in TROS are cool-sounding, but they were all done in the worst way possible.

The fact they chose poorly almost every time is something I’m kind of in awe of.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just me and J.J., Michelle, and our other producer and Kathy Kennedy
    Are you supposed to have five people at the table deciding what "has to make it into the movie"?

i know the producer has to be consulted but all of them being involved in the idea-generation stage sounds weird. I don't pretend to know a how scriptwriting normally works, but it doesn't match up with the glimpses of it I've seen in documentaries and stuff. Like, I remember Taky describing how ME3's core story was basically written by the two lead guys in a locked room, right? And Lucas drafted the Star Wars scripts himself before giving them out to the producers etc to rewrite and fix and so on.

Dongs Galore on
This discussion has been closed.