As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He looks like he truly resents being made to look like the piece of shit he is.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    He and Trump are really cut from the same cloth, aren't they?

Being in charge is only fun when you don't have to do anything, have no responsibility, and only take credit for successes.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Tweeter is some random person with the relevant clip.

Good old Ed wiping the floor with Johnson.

Assuming this bill passes this is all almost worth it to see how utterly miserable Johnson is.

Wow Boris looks pathetic in this. He really doesn't want to be PM anymore does he? I can't imagine any other pm having this reaction to a challenge like that.

This Miliband fellow seems pretty bright. He should go into party leadership

fuck gendered marketing
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson wanted to be a PM who stepped up to the dispatch box, spout a bunch of nonsense and have his MPs loudly jeer in support as he sat back down.

He definitely doesn't want to be a PM who has to stand up in a silent chamber, with every word heard loud and clear. Then sit back down as his opposing number got to pick him apart, again in total silence.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Boris only wanted to be PM after he learned that King Of The World wasn't a title that could belong to anyone but DiCaprio.
    This is his consolation job.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Tweeter is some random person with the relevant clip.

Good old Ed wiping the floor with Johnson.

Assuming this bill passes this is all almost worth it to see how utterly miserable Johnson is.

Wow Boris looks pathetic in this. He really doesn't want to be PM anymore does he? I can't imagine any other pm having this reaction to a challenge like that.

This Miliband fellow seems pretty bright. He should go into party leadership

Well sure, he asks a good question and doesn't appear to be melting into a giant sofa, but how good is he at having a photo taken of him eating a bacon sandwich? Thats the real test of leadership right there!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So when does the vote happen?

• japanjapan Registered User regular

It's been. Passed with a majority of 77.

Now it's up to the Lords.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

yeah they are. they just want all the laurels of doing hard and good work, without doing any hard or good work

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Their last case...

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It’s less that Boris wanted to be pm and more that he is the kind of person who has always thought that he deserves to be pm, as is right and proper, and to be pm with the least inconvenience to himself as possible

Prohass on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    He wants to be remembered as a great PM and have a big statue and things named after him. Boris has very clear plan of his life in his head and the entire middle section of it is ellipses and question marks.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    He wants to be remembered as a great PM and have a big statue and things named after him. Boris has very clear plan of his life in his head and the entire middle section of it is ellipses and question marks.

Fortunately history is written by other people so he's going down as a waffling turdburger with a stupid haircut and zero redeeming qualities.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    thought you all would enjoy a laugh:
    https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/

Penned by Daniel Hannan, a long time eurosceptic Tory according to the interwebs.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

Penned by Daniel Hannan, a long time eurosceptic Tory according to the interwebs.

That would have been completely unhinged from reality 4 years ago.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Yes? Piece was written in 2016 and was pants on head then.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Lmao.

And everyone gets unicorns for Christmas, too!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Lmao.

And everyone gets unicorns for Christmas, too!

Scotland will be taking the Unicorns with it thank you very much.

Has Hannan written any sci-fi? Because that's a good imagination, there.

Tastyfish wrote: »

Their last case...

Actually, I had this wrong

It now goes to committee stage, which is the point at which it can be amended, then it comes back to the commons for the third reading and the votes on the amendments

Then (assuming it passes) it goes to the lords

There are a number of MPs saying they voted in favour so that the bill can now be amended

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Their last case...

It now goes to committee stage, which is the point at which it can be amended, then it comes back to the commons for the third reading and the votes on the amendments

There are a number of MPs saying they voted in favour so that the bill can now be amended

Because that always works out so well.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Their last case...

Because that always works out so well.

I'm not sure what amendment that could pass would actually have an impact on the core of this bill. Not with an 80 seat majority. I saw somewhere something about an amendment that would require Parliament to vote on any changes that would impact the GFA, but that's exactly what this bill is looking to do, so why wouldn't you vote against this bill right now. Unless you just wanted to kick the can down the road and hope that things work out somehow. Which... yeah...

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Maybe it doesn't violate enough laws yet.

Reuters
    The European Union is set to delay a decision on allowing clearing houses in London to continue clearing euro transactions for EU-based clients due to Britain’s plan to breach part of the Brexit divorce settlement, a derivatives industry source said.

Just another example of who actually has the leverage here.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I definitely know what a clearing house is and therefore understand that quote. Yep. Feels good.

edited September 2020
    I definitely know what a clearing house is and therefore understand that quote. Yep. Feels good.

They manage transactions - i.e. between a buyer and seller they do all the steps at (or nowadays with) a clearing house organisation so everything is standardised and reduced risk as the house acts as an insurer as well.

Its lucrative business to be in that requires people to trust you and the stable law abiding society in which you abide.

Edit: may have misread you there smof - sorry if explaining something you did already know!

Dis' on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

How can you say that?
    During the first 12 months after the vote, Britain confirmed with the various countries that have trade deals with the EU that the same deals would continue. It also used that time to agree much more liberal terms with those states which had run up against EU protectionism, including India, China and Australia. These new treaties came into effect shortly after independence. Britain, like the EFTA countries, now combines global free trade with full participation in EU markets.

This is exactly what happened!

How can you say that?
    During the first 12 months after the vote, Britain confirmed with the various countries that have trade deals with the EU that the same deals would continue. It also used that time to agree much more liberal terms with those states which had run up against EU protectionism, including India, China and Australia. These new treaties came into effect shortly after independence. Britain, like the EFTA countries, now combines global free trade with full participation in EU markets.

As far as I'm aware, there are no trade deals yet agreed with India, China, or Australia

India specifically I remember being a sticking point because their two big demands are the slackening of geographical indications for whisky and concessions on visa terms for Indian citizens

I think everywhere that was the subject of an EU trade deal agreed to continue under those terms during transition (which they theoretically could have refused to do) but my understanding was that comes to an end at the end of transition

The UK also, at this point, looks like it's not going to be able to participate fully in EU markets as of January

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The India trade deal is likely to be frustrating, as they've been trying to negotiate trade deals with the EU for about 17 years, and Britain's requirements were a major impediment in those. From rough reading today, it seems like the EU is closer to a FTA with India now that Britain will probably not be in the mix.

Even though we're a major part of India's current EU trade, negotiating a new FTA with our current government's views on immigration and intellectual property will be... "challenging."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Also worth mentioning that recent accusations of protectionism on the part of the EU by India have been related to the acceptable levels of pesticide residue in rice

Much like chlorine-treated chicken, "more pesticides in rice" isn't exactly the most marketable rallying cry to those yearning to be freed from the shackles of EU regulation

I've been following the liveblog, and I swear it's like the government's been able to avoid discussing how badly they're messing up Brexit by talking about how badly they're messing up the COVID situation.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/15/no-10-rejects-any-concessions-for-rebel-tories-on-brexit-bill

File that picture of Gove with the ones of him drinking water or clapping. Looks like his human suit is malfunctioning again.

Edit: aw, it's gone. I should've saved that one.

Jazz on
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    One thing that stood out to me in the clip of Milliband taking apart Johnson is just how disinterested Johnson looks. No anger or challenge, there's barely even a shrug in response. He gives no indication that he actually wants to be there. Perhaps there is something to those rumours that he's gone at the start of next year?

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Tories and Republicans are cut from the same cloth. White, rich, spoiled, entitled, arrogant, and preventing coronavirus testing.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    One thing that stood out to me in the clip of Milliband taking apart Johnson is just how disinterested Johnson looks. No anger or challenge, there's barely even a shrug in response. He gives no indication that he actually wants to be there. Perhaps there is something to those rumours that he's gone at the start of next year?

More like he isn't giving Milliband the time of day because there's really nothing making him? When dismissivly waving away scrutiny consequence free is apparently an option, why would you go the harder route of doing stuff like coming up with a well thought out rebuttal? It's another example of all the accountability you thought leaders had is just one of those annoying "norms of civil society" that actually have no force behind them if you just chose to ignore them. It's only whinging lefties like us who notice or care and what we think doesn't matter because it's impossible for us to win elections. That's the fun of the double whammy of a system rigged against us and an complete inability to cooperate with each other to overcome the challenge.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Fair enough, it could equally be interpreted as distain for anyone daring to challenge him. After all, he's right all of the time in his head at least. Still, would have expected a bit of energy at least. Being embarassed every week without fail has to get to him eventually, right? And if not him, then the MPs that have to try and defend him week in, week out.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    worth noting that gov committed to a lot of restrictions for the limited deal they got with japan

we committed to maintain the state aid provisions of the eu-japan deal... which are more severe than what we are offering the eu....

obF2Wuw.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

How can you say that?

As far as I'm aware, there are no trade deals yet agreed with India, China, or Australia

India specifically I remember being a sticking point because their two big demands are the slackening of geographical indications for whisky and concessions on visa terms for Indian citizens

I think everywhere that was the subject of an EU trade deal agreed to continue under those terms during transition (which they theoretically could have refused to do) but my understanding was that comes to an end at the end of transition

The UK also, at this point, looks like it's not going to be able to participate fully in EU markets as of January

I always find that amongst the most insane of issues too. Because it was ALWAYS known that a huge part of succeeding (at any level) in trade in a post Brexit world would be great trade deals with India, China and other Asian nations and a huge part of such deals would be more ability for their nationals to live, work and own property in the UK and racism against people from India, and Pakistan was a huge part of WHY Brexit passed. Effectively the racists were voting for fewer white people from Eastern Europe and more non white people from Asia in the UK. Which, I don't care where immigrants come from, but they certainly do!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    worth noting that gov committed to a lot of restrictions for the limited deal they got with japan

we committed to maintain the state aid provisions of the eu-japan deal... which are more severe than what we are offering the eu....

Is there a decent write up of this anywhere, other than the FT (which is paywalled)?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Is there a decent write up of this anywhere, other than the FT (which is paywalled)?

ive just seen it commented on by various twitter trade types but i think the core idea that the japanese were only really willing to say "u get the eu deal with the same guarantees" tracks with the speed with which they finished it

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.