As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Police Brutality] Has Caused Ongoing National Protests

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Did Q just ratio the FBI, hahaha
    Ratio?
    If a tweet has more replies than likes, because everyone who reads it is yelling at you. It's just funny because large official accounts usually are immune.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    “Militia” just means “terrorists who are white.”

Been that way as long as I can remember. The "militia movement" of the 90s was just a nice euphemism for right-wing white terrorist groups that began forming the minute a non-republican won the Presidency.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    The thread is full of Q jackoffs posting examples of local news stories of people committing arson. Which is a thing that happens pretty regularly! Only none of the stories says anything about the fires being political. One alleged perpetrator is described as "white male, forearm tattoos, accompanied by a black german shepherd, driving a green ford or chevy SUV".

Is this another projection thing? Are threepers starting fires in the PNW to make a point about raking the forest floors?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I struggle to envision that not being the case

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm sure someone at the FBI is going to get in trouble for denying the rumor now. It's only a matter of time at least, when it hits Trump's ear.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's Portland, they're all in on it. :rotate:

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This is extremely unfortunate fuel being added to the fire. 2 Los Angeles County deputies are 'fighting for their lives' after being shot in Compton
    Two Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputies were shot and critically injured Saturday night, officials said.

"One male deputy and one female deputy were ambushed as they sat in their patrol vehicle," a sheriff's department tweet read.

"Both sustained multiple gunshot wounds and are in critical condition. They are both currently undergoing surgery. The suspect is still at large."

Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at a press conference Saturday night that the shooting in Compton was done "in a cowardly fashion" and that both deputies were being treated at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood.

Capt. Kent Wegener said the shooting happened at 7 p.m. Wegener said the suspect approached from behind the deputies' vehicle and walked along the passenger side. He acted as if he was going to walk past the car, raised a pistol and shot multiple times hitting both deputies, Wegener said.

This is absolutely awful and terrible. It will also be used to support further awful and terrible things.

We've already seen that cops get training that essentially tells them "Anyone who isn't a cop can and will kill you without warning" - And how this informs their treatment of all civilians. Particularly protesters.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This is extremely unfortunate fuel being added to the fire. 2 Los Angeles County deputies are 'fighting for their lives' after being shot in Compton
    Two Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputies were shot and critically injured Saturday night, officials said.

"One male deputy and one female deputy were ambushed as they sat in their patrol vehicle," a sheriff's department tweet read.

"Both sustained multiple gunshot wounds and are in critical condition. They are both currently undergoing surgery. The suspect is still at large."

Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at a press conference Saturday night that the shooting in Compton was done "in a cowardly fashion" and that both deputies were being treated at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood.

Capt. Kent Wegener said the shooting happened at 7 p.m. Wegener said the suspect approached from behind the deputies' vehicle and walked along the passenger side. He acted as if he was going to walk past the car, raised a pistol and shot multiple times hitting both deputies, Wegener said.

This is absolutely awful and terrible. It will also be used to support further awful and terrible things.

We've already seen that cops get training that essentially tells them "Anyone who isn't a cop can and will kill you without warning" - And how this informs their treatment of all civilians. Particularly protesters.

The LA County Sheriff's Department is already spreading lies on Twitter claiming that protesters blocked access to the hospital and were chanting for the death of the police.

Of course they didn't post any video evidence because other people did and it's literally four people protesting to the side of the hospital entrance and they're saying mean things about police sure but it isn't illegal and doesn't warrant dozens of officers actually impeding access to the hospital to violently assault a reporter who they falsely claimed didn't have press credentials on her.

Bootlickers are obediently repeating the blatant lies said by the cops all over Twitter already.

DarkPrimus on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah cops lie i'll wait for additional details

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    On that note what's the evidence for what actually happened in the shooting? Is it just what the police department said?

Because that's... almost a negative amount of evidence at this point...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    EDIT: Thinking of a different incident.

DarkPrimus on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    On that note what's the evidence for what actually happened in the shooting? Is it just what the police department said?

There's video of the shooting, not of the supposed death chants.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Trump is also going public with his support of extrajudicial murders, saying "That's the way it has to be".

Trump on a purported antifa sympathizer who allegedly killed someone in Portland being killed by federal forces: "This guy was a violent criminal, and the US Marshals killed him. And I'll tell you something -- that's the way it has to be. There has to be retribution."

Aaron Rupar is a Vox journalist

*Retribution not available if victim is a person of color or not a republican.

VuIBhrs.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Trump is also going public with his support of extrajudicial murders, saying "That's the way it has to be".

Trump on a purported antifa sympathizer who allegedly killed someone in Portland being killed by federal forces: "This guy was a violent criminal, and the US Marshals killed him. And I'll tell you something -- that's the way it has to be. There has to be retribution."

He just endorsed an open fucking season on us.

Fuck.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

He just endorsed an open fucking season on us.

Fuck.

And that sociopath in front of him is egging him on the whole time.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    kime wrote: »

There's video of the shooting, not of the supposed death chants.

Media apparently has access to the video, but aside from "person dressed in black" I haven't seen any actual description of the person.

The la times article I just read said there is a $10k reward for information leading to the capture of the person.

That seems awfully low. EDIT: different article says $100k. Not sure if the LA Times had the wrong number initially, or if it was increased.

At this point with all the other proud boy white supremacist shit in other incidents like this, it is really hard to not already put together the race of the perpetrator; if they were black it would be plastered on every site and Trump would be tweeting it out.

Based on the past 6 months (let alone last 150 years at least) logic would suggest that if they were black they would have been shot before they got near enough to the officers vehicles to shoot them in the first place.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. This is horrible either way, I'm just getting too cynical about all this shit to not see the pattern in reporting.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2020

Jusie Huang is a reporter with KPCC, a public radio station in California. She was tackled and detained by police outside the hospital for trying to show her credentials.

Anyway, there is the "crowd" outside the hospital. No chanting. 6 people. None armed with anything but cell phones and pan-african flags. EDIT: even calling it 6 is being generous, as the 6th is a guy well down the street that only comes closer toward the end.

This is how the LA Sheriff twitter is portraying it:

I mean, listen, maybe those dudes were blocking the entrance? At some point? It's hard to say, because you can bet your ass there will never be video of the supposed chant. EDIT: To be clear, they are obviously standing in front of the drive, but there isn't any indication in that video they're stopping any ambulances from entering.

However, on Fox News? It's going to be described to imply a massive crowd of protesters screaming for the deputies to die.

It won't matter what actually happened. That is going to be the narrative, with all the expected results that entails.

The Dude With Herpes on

I'm apparently well behind on catching up on this info, I didn't see anything about it until a couple hours ago and assumed it was today, but it was last night. :rotate:.

I've found news reports that actually show the security cam footage now, and it's pretty much impossible to tell much at all about the person who shot, other than they were wearing black, and possibly a hat and/or mask, but it might as well have been a pixel character from a 1991 video game for as much as you can even see.

I imagine any details we get further than the grainy footage is from what the deputies recall, when/if they're able to communicate it. :(

Regardless, sorry for coming on a bit strong there given I'm a day behind; just a good reminder to me to calm my shit before I go off.

As I said, this is horrible, and even more so now that I've seen the actual video.

However, other than the people showing up at the hospital to protest, I'm confused why this is being reported by news as in any way linked to the larger protests? It didn't appear the shooting had anything immediately to do with any protests, the deputies were in their vehicle, and it didn't appear to be near or related to a protest? Does anyone have any more information on that, or is it just being thrown together because it's law enforcement related so just lazy or manipulative reporting?

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Security camera footage is almost always crap. It's kind of bizarre. There are so many good cameras out there, but businesses are still using stuff that puts out images like a camera from 95?

Tying that shooting to the protests seems 100% BS right now. Could have been. Could also have been a far right type, as they've done a shitload more shooting at cops recently..

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Security camera footage is almost always crap. It's kind of bizarre. There are so many good cameras out there, but businesses are still using stuff that puts out images like a camera from 95?

Tying that shooting to the protests seems 100% BS right now. Could have been. Could also have been a far right type, as they've done a shitload more shooting at cops recently..

Storage presumably - I assume after a few days of footage it starts to add up.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Security cameras are mostly security theater: they rely more on their visibility to prevent problems than their actual function to catch offenders afterwards. They rarely are good enough to establish identity on their own, mostly they can just confirm gross, easily-identified actions (like shooting somebody) and other sources are needed (like eyewitness accounts) to confirm the offender is the person in the video.

So unless they can positively identify the shooter some other way, the footage itself is largely meaningless.

This is also why police bodycams use semi-decent cameras: it's expected the footage will yield useful information instead of relying on merely existing to deter offenses.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any more information on that, or is it just being thrown together because it's law enforcement related so just lazy or manipulative reporting?

Good money is on this

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    I'd guess cameras are there more for insurance purposes than anything else: show what happened, not remotely interested in being able to show who did it.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Security cameras are mostly security theater: they rely more on their visibility to prevent problems than their actual function to catch offenders afterwards. They rarely are good enough to establish identity on their own, mostly they can just confirm gross, easily-identified actions (like shooting somebody) and other sources are needed (like eyewitness accounts) to confirm the offender is the person in the video.

So unless they can positively identify the shooter some other way, the footage itself is largely meaningless.

This is also why police bodycams use semi-decent cameras: it's expected the footage will yield useful information instead of relying on merely existing to deter offenses.

Security cameras can be great. The newer 4k IP cameras give a pretty fantastic picture that you can pull a license plate from 100 feet away.

But then businesses would have to upgrade equipment and that costs money.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One of my many job duties involves property (read: shopping mall and office tower) cctv systems.

Costs and storage are indeed aspects to it.

One camera generally isn’t a big deal.

Several hundred cameras, as might be found in a good sized complex with parking, can be a multi-quarter or year endeavour.

So, yes, it can be just security theatre, or a work in progress, or it can be like the stadium I visited that had so many 16mp cameras pointed at the stands that they could notice and assist in recovering a stolen wallet mid game.

As with many things in life, YMMV.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

And he said it again.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

And he said it again.

A frightening amount of Americans are cheering for this, both inside his rally and out. I fear that whoever wins in November, things will immediately get violent and terrible.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Greg Gutfield on Fox News went on a particularly insane rant about how he actually hopes Biden wins, because if Trump wins the Biden gangs are going to make the streets run with blood and he'll probably be killed because people like him will be targets.

Viskod wrote: »
    Greg Gutfield on Fox News went on a particularly insane rant about how he actually hopes Biden wins, because if Trump wins the Biden gangs are going to make the streets run with blood and he'll probably be killed because people like him will be targets.

I read these things and just think, man, they are really overestimating how engaged most people are in this stuff.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

I read these things and just think, man, they are really overestimating how engaged most people are in this stuff.

Gutfield is a simpering tool trying to toadie up to the guy in charge. His whole thing is usually about how stupid and weak liberals are.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    When I read statements like that all I can think about is how much they must want to make the streets run with the blood of their targets.

Because it's always projection.

Aistan on
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    When I read statements like that all I can think about is how much they must want to make the streets run with the blood of their targets.

Because it's always projection.

There's a good number of them who would happily work the camps and watch our bodies go into the ovens.

And another good chunk who would be just horrified, horrified I say to find out genocide was going on in that establishment.

The Turner Diaries and a lot of similar rhetoric is mainstream on the right. The Boogaloo / Patriot Prayer / 3% / Oathkeeper / Proud Boy / etc movements are extremely into the idea of a race war where they can massacre their opposition

• WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    There is also quite a bit of self importance, like very few of the people out protesting could probably tell you who Greg Gutfield is, I only know because at least one of the televisions at my gym, back in the olden times when I could go, would be on fox news.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So can news outlets just out-and-out point out that there is a fascist elephant in the room?
    Nobody seems worried about the gravity of this situation.

We're well past the point of it being unfair to call these people Nazis.
    WELL AKSHULLY blowhards no longer withstanding.

Twenty Sided on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    In a weird bit of news, one case of a protester being hit and killed is now over.

Because the dude that did it went to Mexico and died there. https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/motorist-who-struck-and-killed-protester-robert-forbes-spurring-investigation-dies-in-mexico/

He was "under investigation" for running someone over, yet allowed to leave the country. What.
    But complicating matters was the fact that Moore had tattoos that might associate him with white nationalist groups,

Oh that's why. (from other sources dude apparently had a large 88 tatooed on himself). One of Trump's "very fine people".

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    In a weird bit of news, one case of a protester being hit and killed is now over.

Because the dude that did it went to Mexico and died there. https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/motorist-who-struck-and-killed-protester-robert-forbes-spurring-investigation-dies-in-mexico/

He was "under investigation" for running someone over, yet allowed to leave the country. What.
    But complicating matters was the fact that Moore had tattoos that might associate him with white nationalist groups,

Oh that's why. (from other sources dude apparently had a large 88 tatooed on himself). One of Trump's "very fine people".

From your link:
    Moore was arrested in February by San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s deputies on numerous drug charges — concluding a yearlong narcotics trafficking investigation. Moore, 41 at the time, was arrested along with 38-year-old Jesse Daniel Talaugon of San Luis Obispo and charged with trafficking narcotics directly from Mexico.

So at the very least, ICE has no problem allowing someone charged with international drug trafficking to enter Mexico.

Also, wasn't international travel also limited due to covid?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So can news outlets just out-and-out point out that there is a fascist elephant in the room?
    Nobody seems worried about the gravity of this situation.

We're well past the point of it being unfair to call these people Nazis.
    WELL AKSHULLY blowhards no longer withstanding.

They can.

They won't.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Storage presumably - I assume after a few days of footage it starts to add up.

Hi, going on a decade of security work at various places (mostly factories and a hospital).

People are cheap. Storage costs money. Cameras that have been made in the last five years cost money. A lot of the time you will see a few newer camera. That is because they were installed recently. The rest get replaced as they fail (or don't. Last factory has like 60 camera feeds up, around 20 of them were broken). They do okay if you already know exactly what you are looking for, but they almost always work just to corroborate as opposed to uncover new information.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Didn't see this one posted before. Wall street is making millions off police brutality. Disgustingly, much of it is about my own city, and its record breaking settlements for police brutality. I knew that the city was self-insuring the $800M or so it's paid out in the last 15 years, but I hadn't even thought about how they actually raised the money to pay those. So that $800M number is costing our city closer to $2B in bonds... Meanwhile, the conservatives over at the Trib rail on the city for not supporting cops enough and then simultaneously about how awful the budget deficit is. Imagine the good that $2B could do for the south side and west sides in social programs. I honestly feel a little ill right now after reading that.

Simpsonia on
    edited September 2020
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Didn't see this one posted before. Wall street is making millions off police brutality. Disgustingly, much of it is about my own city, and its record breaking settlements for police brutality. I knew that the city was self-insuring the $800M or so it's paid out in the last 15 years, but I hadn't even thought about how they actually raised the money to pay those. So that $800M number is costing our city closer to $2B in bonds... Meanwhile, the conservatives over at the Trib rail on the city for not supporting cops enough and then simultaneously about how awful the budget deficit is. Imagine the good that $2B could do for the south side and west sides in social programs. I honestly feel a little ill right now after reading that.

That headline seems a bit of a sensationalist way to put it. As loathe as one is to say Wall St is not the bad guy here because fuck them, they aren't really the problem here. The municipal governments are the ones just endlessly paying out settlements and the like for their police force's shitty behaviour while not actually trying to fix the problems that are burning a hole in their budgets. Wall St is just showing up to make a buck helping them get the cash together to do the thing they would be doing anyway. The governments in question need to get pushed into stopping the endless money spigot for bad police behaviour.

shryke on
This discussion has been closed.