As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I get that they don't want statistically illiterate people to over analyze and complain about everything, but they should also realize by now that people are going to do that anyway with or without hard data.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Looking for a fun legendary to craft. I should probably make a responsible choice like one of the boring classics I don't have like Captain Greenskin, but I want to do some janky shit like Kel'Thuzad -> Flesh Giant -> Shadowflame.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Looking for a fun legendary to craft. I should probably make a responsible choice like one of the boring classics I don't have like Captain Greenskin, but I want to do some janky shit like Kel'Thuzad -> Flesh Giant -> Shadowflame.
    Meh. After a certain point you have the good classics. And you’ve already disenchanted hogger twice.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dibby wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »
    I'm currently on a downward rating spiral (I think I dropped 500 so far, can't get over 9k again). I probably need to think more about my plays and games to see what I do wrong.

But sometimes you just face a Reno who gets triple token-cat on 7 gold into discover gold grubber and make it golden and then he just smashes everyone for 10+ every battle. (there were no murlocs in the game)

Oh, that reminds me of something I thought of: What about a hero power like "[Passive] If you win a battle, deal 1 damage to every other hero"? Or even "[X gold] Deal 1 damage to every other hero". How much would that have to cost? It's probably too hard on self-damage comps (Lich/Demons) and feels unfun? Could you balance it with a lower starting health? And/or only make it available in non-demon games?

Given that I dropped 1000 MMR from 8.5k and then climbed back up to 8k, and that I really wasn't doing anything differently, I can tell you that the reason is sometimes you just get fucking highrolled and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm playing Maiev, a Tier 1 Hero, and I get an awful fucking start and sputter out into 7th place. Like sometimes you run up against the person that got an early triple into something really strong and you lose half your health and you have to throw your hands up and go "welp!!!"

I've been noting if I'm doing well or not more often and if I'm behind, I stay on T3 a bit longer and shore up my weak board and just try to play for 4th. Sometimes that doesn't even work, though, but. Well, yeah, I'm Millhouse with a decent board and get paired up against Jandy in first place with a 100/100+ Pogo and it's like, might as well concede cause I'm gonna lose this one.

Sometimes you just get got. Sometimes you do the getting. It balances out, eventually.

This is why I'm looking forward to variable health heroes and flattened damage scaling, though. Should reduce snowballing and highrolling.

Today I'm sick at home so I binged some BGs and I went 4th-1st-2nd-4th-2nd-2nd and the last game was so nice it finally got me over the hump again:
    q7o3vdd4hg3l.png

It was mostly a factor of not losing horribly and placing like 7th or 8th. And yeah, maybe that's just luck or I had a string of bad luck before.

Grobian on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    really had a mental block climbing to legend this season, bounced around in diamond 3-1 back and forth, lost to 4 final bosses before i broke through

played exclusively with this list

### Broomflinger
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 2x (0) First Day of School
    # 2x (1) Aldor Attendant
    # 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
    # 1x (1) Pen Flinger
    # 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
    # 2x (2) Libram of Wisdom
    # 1x (2) Lightforged Blessing
    # 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
    # 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
    # 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 1x (3) Lord Barov
    # 2x (3) Salhet's Pride
    # 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
    # 2x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
    # 2x (5) Libram of Justice
    # 2x (6) Devout Pupil
    # 1x (7) Lady Liadrin
    # 2x (9) Libram of Hope
    #
    AAECAcOfAwaKmgP8uAOEwQOfzQOT0AP21gMM+wH2B5WmA8q4A/24A+q5A+u5A+y5A8rBA5XNA57NA8DRAwA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

allura is bad because bomb warrior is fairly common right now and she will happily proc 5 damage to your face which is deeply upsetting

polkelt ensures you can dig for your hopes and liadrin which is vital to fill your hand with libram of wisdom to combo with penflinger for the lategame

*if you want more hopes off liadrin you have to target a minion with a hope, not your face*

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    I get that they don't want statistically illiterate people to over analyze and complain about everything, but they should also realize by now that people are going to do that anyway with or without hard data.

It’s selective possitive data only.

You want to know how many times you’ve lost? Good luck. They aren’t going to tell you or give you an easy way to find it out, or extrapolate it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm currently on a downward rating spiral (I think I dropped 500 so far, can't get over 9k again). I probably need to think more about my plays and games to see what I do wrong.

But sometimes you just face a Reno who gets triple token-cat on 7 gold into discover gold grubber and make it golden and then he just smashes everyone for 10+ every battle. (there were no murlocs in the game)

Oh, that reminds me of something I thought of: What about a hero power like "[Passive] If you win a battle, deal 1 damage to every other hero"? Or even "[X gold] Deal 1 damage to every other hero". How much would that have to cost? It's probably too hard on self-damage comps (Lich/Demons) and feels unfun? Could you balance it with a lower starting health? And/or only make it available in non-demon games?

Given that I dropped 1000 MMR from 8.5k and then climbed back up to 8k, and that I really wasn't doing anything differently, I can tell you that the reason is sometimes you just get fucking highrolled and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm playing Maiev, a Tier 1 Hero, and I get an awful fucking start and sputter out into 7th place. Like sometimes you run up against the person that got an early triple into something really strong and you lose half your health and you have to throw your hands up and go "welp!!!"

I've been noting if I'm doing well or not more often and if I'm behind, I stay on T3 a bit longer and shore up my weak board and just try to play for 4th. Sometimes that doesn't even work, though, but. Well, yeah, I'm Millhouse with a decent board and get paired up against Jandy in first place with a 100/100+ Pogo and it's like, might as well concede cause I'm gonna lose this one.

Sometimes you just get got. Sometimes you do the getting. It balances out, eventually.

This is why I'm looking forward to variable health heroes and flattened damage scaling, though. Should reduce snowballing and highrolling.

Today I'm sick at home so I binged some BGs and I went 4th-1st-2nd-4th-2nd-2nd and the last game was so nice it finally got me over the hump again:
    q7o3vdd4hg3l.png

It was mostly a factor of not losing horribly and placing like 7th or 8th. And yeah, maybe that's just luck or I had a string of bad luck before.

Nice!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    O1r0pih.png

my first 1st place with Jandy

god this hero is fucking stupid

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Is it bad that with the book of heroes... I want Jaina to lose. Her face reminds me of someone I greatly dislike.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Is it bad that with the book of heroes... I want Jaina to lose. Her face reminds me of someone I greatly dislike.

this seems like an unhealthy connection to make, yes

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I don't understand how HSReplay decides its cutoffs for Tier bands in BG rankings. At this point, there are now 2 Tier 1 heroes, 3 Tier 3 heroes, and then the entire rest of the roster is either T2 or T4.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

this seems like an unhealthy connection to make, yes
    I blame blizzard for making my brain make a tenuous connection with some old psychic damage.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is there any reward for completing the book of heroes thing? I played the first couple but it just seemed like kinda boring solo content so I stopped

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I thought you got a Mage pack if you beat it?

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    I thought you got a Mage pack if you beat it?

You do get a mage pack. Got an epic.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    anyway i thought of a good way to fix jandy and get rid of the pogo stacking bullshit without removing pogos (although i guess they could also just remove pogos, that's an option too....)

but i was thinking that when you use the HP it removes all enchantments so you can't just keep stacking shit over and over. at which point she's basically just really good with like Brann or Murlocs or something.

maybe we could also just remove pogo though.

edit: basically pogo was like a fun silly niche strategy that usually never worked out for certain heroes (Shudderwock) and then they made a hero that could reliably fish them out (Brann) and that was skirting the line a little bit and then they went ahead and made a hero that can just completely exploit it and stack the everloving fuck out of it so i'm thinking maybe it's time we retire this silly little niche minion when it's becoming an actual meta 1st place strat

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I don't understand how HSReplay decides its cutoffs for Tier bands in BG rankings. At this point, there are now 2 Tier 1 heroes, 3 Tier 3 heroes, and then the entire rest of the roster is either T2 or T4.

It looks like it's based on mean finishing place. The brackets have arbitrary ranges instead of being based on standard deviation scores though. T3 seems to have a much smaller width than T2 for example.

T1 [0.00-3.90]
    T2 (3.90-4.50]
    T3 (4.50-4.70)
    T4 [4.70-8.00]

• Options
    Priest is savage in tavern brawl I just tore apart 3 of those two turn Ko decks. Wow you got some really tough minions buff play I think I’ll soul mirror that. Or mind control, and silent night if they got an outstanding board.

• Options

It looks like it's based on mean finishing place. The brackets have arbitrary ranges instead of being based on standard deviation scores though. T3 seems to have a much smaller width than T2 for example.

T1 [0.00-3.90]
    T2 (3.90-4.50]
    T3 (4.50-4.70)
    T4 [4.70-8.00]
    Yeah, it's just weird they don't adjust it (either manually or algorithmically) to spread out the representation a little better.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    O1r0pih.png

my first 1st place with Jandy

god this hero is fucking stupid

Between Jandice and teams fucking up the balance (I only play solo), I don't really see the point in playing BG's anymore.

• Options
    I haven't been looking for them but I never noticed any teams in my games. How do you know you're up against them?

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I haven't been looking for them but I never noticed any teams in my games. How do you know you're up against them?

You see things like two players who are matched up against each other both sell their starting minion and level to 3 on turn 3 or otherwise level early at the same time when they're matched against each other, or lich king ties instead of wins his turn 1 or turn 2 fight (because he chose not to hero power), or Maiev hero powers something on turn 1 but doesn't take damage (because their teammate didn't play their minion), or when people you've never faced have a weird order for their minions going into battle that just happens to be perfect for the taunts you've set up (because their teammate just played against you and told them what you have). None of these things are 100% tells, but they're evidence.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I just realized this meta feels like one of the best in a long time.

Not a lot of complaining. Fun new decks. Quick balance changes. They knocked it out of the park with this expansion.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Today is my first stream! Mostly, want to know if it looks good, sounds good, etc. The HS is secondary to the rest. Please come and join if you want!

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    There you go, Dibby. That first game on Narwhal's stream was an excellent example of winning with pirates! :P

• Options
    Good luck with your Randomonium coin flips this week, everyone. I was fortunate enough that my opponent conceded on turn 4 or so. It's usually a bigger slog to get that 40 dust when this brawl pops up.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I bravely (skilfully?) kept two 8 drops in my opening hand which both went to 1 mana each on turn 2.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Always trust in Yogg!

qixii19jgd3w.png

This was our penultimate battle, which I lost. But I fixed my positioning and won the last one.
    (After having also beaten her once before in top3. That's also why I was scared of Zapp. She had been tier 6 for a couple of rounds. maybe she never found one.)

I'm nearing 50 "wins" with Yogg now. Sad that we don't get better statistics. At least I know I'm bad at Rafaam.

fnpajfrlm72f.png

• Options
    VS #173 is up

Other than Zoo dying off stuff is largely the same. Totem Shaman is seeing some experimentation but it's not really winning any more than it did before the buff. Turtle Mage is picking up speed but is still solidly T3.

• Options
    Also someone on reddit made a great multiyear meta summary/shitpost.

Spoilered for fockin' huge:
    vlKX5wI.jpg

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Also someone on reddit made a great multiyear meta summary/shitpost.

Spoilered for fockin' huge:
    vlKX5wI.jpg

oh god I've been playing this game since 2015, since right before TGT

somehow seeing that just made me realize it

• Options
    Golden gold grubber, Mccaw and selfless hero. I wish I had perks I didn’t screen shot it because I played on auto pilot after that pretty much garunteed top 3. But it was an easy first place.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I call this piece "The Beginning of the End"

zomajry73akm.png

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man I don't understand why bomb warrior runs kronx/galakrond

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Literally just for the burn. Galakrond for the 3 damage per turn and Kronxx either draws it or burns for 5.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    man I don't understand why bomb warrior runs kronx/galakrond

Reach.

• Options
    the Galakrond clock is how bomb warrior has enough damage to kill priest, specifically

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I just started going through the GM lists for this week and che0nsu's lineup is the most 'fuck Bomb Warrior' thing I've ever seen. He's got Bulwark of Azzinoth CWar, Quest Druid with Lucentbark, Control Shaman, and a Priest list, with 2-4 Oozes/Stickyfingers in every list and Elysiana in 3 of them.

• Options
    bomb war has been one of my favorite decks since it became a thing so I netdecked a fresh one and have been playing it; I guess I see why galakrond is important vs priest but they just seem like dead-ish cards in so many matchups

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    dtnme6S.png

This made me so fucking sad

Jan'alai was such a cool fucking Legendary, goddammit. The Rastakhan legendaries were some of the shortest lived Legendaries ever. Hooktusk was around for like one expac cycle and that was it. And that was after Rastakhan's!!

DNiDlnb.png