As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So you think it's okay that you train her but not the other way around?!

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I used to think I was doing the training but she's really taken the reins the last few months

It is now impossible to turn her down for a walk because she will insist it is the scheduled walking hour and we gotta go please please please

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sidetongue is very good and important

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    qqjv3ccmgkkb.jpg

Your one-month Russell update - here's a picture of him after he ran around with a pack of other dogs for a couple hours at the dog park. He's doing great!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    aye, 'tis a fine muppet you're raising there

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    sidetongue is very good and important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGw0mUairGY

I was literally thinking "this is the most Muppet dog I have ever seen" as my eyes scrolled to this post

Steam
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I was literally thinking "this is the most Muppet dog I have ever seen" as my eyes scrolled to this post

yup, that was my first thought too! I'm pretty sure there's actually one in particular he's reminding me of, but for the life of me i can't quite place it

• see317see317 Registered User regular

yup, that was my first thought too! I'm pretty sure there's actually one in particular he's reminding me of, but for the life of me i can't quite place it

95% certain it's something from Labyrinth.
    Something about that dog just screams Henson.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Sprocket from Fraggle Rock?
    y6balwsj1y1l.png

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Someone on this forum has a dog that looks like fizzgig from the dark crystal and I can't for the life of me remember who

E: for reference

aj3d8exv7fpc.jpeg

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Someone on this forum has a dog that looks like fizzgig from the dark crystal and I can't for the life of me remember who

E: for reference

aj3d8exv7fpc.jpeg

Stanley has pretty big Fizzgig energy

iDajQdal.jpg

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Stanley! :heartbeat:

Is not him, what is he again? I remember asking you before, and there not being a breeder near me :(

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Stanley appears to be a miniature wookie

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stanley appears to be a miniature wookie

A powerful and majestic wookie (Border Terrier)

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    McFodder wrote: »
    Sprocket from Fraggle Rock?
    y6balwsj1y1l.png

yes yup, this has gotta be it

watched that show religiously as a kid, haven't thought about it in probably 20 years. must have bubbled up out of the ol' subconscious.

• StationaryStationary Registered User regular

I used to think I was doing the training but she's really taken the reins the last few months

It is now impossible to turn her down for a walk because she will insist it is the scheduled walking hour and we gotta go please please please

Oh God this is Buddy to a t. Once he realized that I generally get up at 7am for work every day at 7am he is at the side of my bed just staring at me waiting for that wake up walk. You would think you eventually get used to waking up to a husky deep breathing directly in your face but 9 times out of ten I still end up jumping back and screaming a bit.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Uschi traditionally wants to walk at around 6am, but he also very much wants to sleep on the bed. So we compromise and he's allowed on the bed from 6am onwards, which means I get to sleep in until his giant butt pushes me out of bed.

Buddy takes to finding the coolest spot he can and just lying on the hardwood floor. I've tried putting blankets down, multiple kinds of dog beds, even getting him on my bed but the dude just loves the cool floor. I was concerned at first that it wasn't good for him to lay down on but eventually just gave in. The only times he gets in the bed is during fireworks when he wants to be as close as possible to me.

Red dog has come to sitting on my chaise lounger.
    k2dzwhuqj1w8.jpg

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    We have two different alarms that go off, one for walking mornings and one for sleeping in mornings, and then on the weekend we often have no alarms.

If the walking alarm goes off, Darcy is up in seconds, goes to the other room to make sure it is actually the right alarm (we don't keep our phones in the bedroom) and then bounds back in. If it's the other alarm she often won't move until we're showered or head out for breakfast, because she gets hers after I have mine.

If no alarm goes off but she hears us wake up, she generally comes to my side of the bed, attempts to lick my face and then pointedly 'sit' to make sure I know she knows I'm awake, that we've slept in past the normal alarm time and she is starving to death so it is clearly breakfast time straight away.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Ivy as a puppy thought 6am was a very good time to get up

Ivy as a 1.5 year old dog is like, before 9? No thank you

When I had to go to work at 7 before WFH, she'd sleepily see me downstairs for breakfast, yawn, wag her tail goodbye, and go back upstairs to go back to bed

I swear she's almost human sometimes, it's just a big mood to be that into sleeping in

Steam
    Stationary wrote: »
    Buddy takes to finding the coolest spot he can and just lying on the hardwood floor. I've tried putting blankets down, multiple kinds of dog beds, even getting him on my bed but the dude just loves the cool floor. I was concerned at first that it wasn't good for him to lay down on but eventually just gave in. The only times he gets in the bed is during fireworks when he wants to be as close as possible to me.

Husky, right? Ivy likes to do that too, that thick coat makes the cold tile appealing! She'll usually alternate between the carpet and her "ensuite" at night, which is the spot between the tiled/raised bathtub and toilet so she can be touching three cold surfaces at once

Steam
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My sister-in-law's parents have a cockapoo who hates getting out of bed and is always the last one up. He is also a delicate flower about rain and mud, and often just can't be bothered with walks. He's so unlike other dogs I've known.

Stationary wrote: »

Husky, right? Ivy likes to do that too, that thick coat makes the cold tile appealing! She'll usually alternate between the carpet and her "ensuite" at night, which is the spot between the tiled/raised bathtub and toilet so she can be touching three cold surfaces at once

Yeah for Buddy it's at the foot of my bed directly under the AC vent. This is the very rare picture of him actually using his dog bed

qmqaji9sb9cm.jpg

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lola has the mange( I think) and the olive oil treatment is working ok but shes still feeling shitty enough to cuddle while I sleep. Cannot afford a a vet visit right now which sucks.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Hey dog thread I'm in a bit of a situation, I was walking buddy after work and I loose dog with no tag came up to us, I managed to get him on buddy's leash and have my roommate come pick up buddy, but now I've got this dog that is completely terrified leashed and unwilling to move, he's not hostile at all and it I get close to him he just kind of shrinks away from me. I'm not really sure what to do other then wait him out and get him home so I can get him checked for a chip tomorrow

Can you check NextDoor for anyone missing a dog, or make a post with the dog's picture? It's possible you can resolve it tonight depending on how active your neighborhood is.

Good idea, I'll try that. I had my roommate bring some treats and I got him to follow me to my house, but he's got zero interest in coming inside currently

dtily9m85iah.jpg
    This is the guy

edited September 2020
    Check Facebook as well; often cities will have specific dog groups, or groups for lost pets, those networks tend to be pretty awesome and generally are the first resource in town here

Otherwise, make sure he's held securely, will be warm, and have food and water. You don't want him to feel nervous or backed up into a corner so he won't feel obligated to defend himself (note that all dogs are cowards and act accordingly, he sounds like a good boy so you really just need to not do anything sudden that could spook him more)

If you approach him, try not to lean over him or stare him in the eyes, both of which can be seen as an intimidation thing. If you can sit near him and toss him treats until you can get him taking them out of your hand, that might buy you into his good books enough to be able to give him a pat and calm him down. Use hushed tones and talk to him, too. He might warm up to you by the end of the night that way, and you might even be able to lead him inside with the treat method

If you do that, be careful with Buddy as well; you wanna be sure he isn't gonna have territorial concerns that might scare the new dog, and you might need to keep them separate

Cello on
    Steam
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Do you have a 24 hour vet/vet hospital in your area? If they're not slammed, they may do a microchip check for you.

edited September 2020
    Well I got him inside and he's currently in the bathroom with a bowl of water and food and a dog gate at the door. It looks directly into my room so he can see me but I'm a bit nervous about letting him in the room with buddy once I go to sleep.

Buddy didn't seem to mind him for the most part, the other dog was getting very uhh.. friendly with buddies underside and eventually he started to growl a bit but stopped as soon as the other dog did as well. Unfortunately neither of them seem super happy with our sleeping situation so I think I might be in for a long night.

I'm going to see if there's any 24 hour vets close but the only one I can think of is about a 40 minute drive and I'm not even sure how I'm getting this guy in a car honestly. My local vet is literally a ten minute walk from me so I was going to walk him down there in the morning

Stationary on
    I have found out about bernedoodles.

2i2zh0trv7zq.jpeg

My wife and I have been furiously googling where we can get one

@tynic

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Stationary's situation reminds me of the time I found a Staffie wandering loose while at my pizza delivery job. Stuck him in my car and drove around to see if I could spot anyone looking for a dog, but couldn't, so I took him home for the night. He wasn't nervous at all but got pretty unhappy about being left in the kitchen alone at night and started howling. So I ended up sleeping on a mattress on the kitchen floor with him basically on top of me.

Look at these guys!

c7j7ev6bi8kp.jpeg

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    It looks like an impressionist painting of a berner

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Red dog has come to sitting on my chaise lounger.
    k2dzwhuqj1w8.jpg

Well

Watch out for shitty, evil trailer park owners bearing gifts I guess

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    One of my dogs ate one of my brand new earbuds! I tried handing the other one to both dogs and neither one wanted it, but it's nowhere in the house and I haven't emptied the garbage since I opened the package last night!