As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Similar to the 90s Satanic Panic. Stats like "1 in 4 children are sexually abused" became questions looking for an answer. "If it was so common, where were the victims?" The answer that caught on was "a global satanic conspiracy is covering it up". In NZ feminist academics teamed up with paranoid church parents in a kind of symbiosis. They legitimised each other, the Satan sniffers provided victims and the psychologists legitimised repressed memories with a confirmation bias towards finding more victims. Children were pressured into giving evidence of imaginary crimes and then when they attempted to recant their testimony that was ignored while their evidence was kept. It was "believe the victim" ...except when the "victim's" testimony was inconvenient. "Witch hunt" was probably the word that summed up the frenzy as improper handling of accusations caused rumours to spread as worried parents consulted with each other. The crazy Satanic Panic fuelled statements would then be sanitised into less crazy sounding "evidence". Basements that didn't exist, absurd abuse (stabbing infants, drinking blood, being put in cages etc) were all ignored. At the time all of the crazy bits were not reported on, but when it came out afterwards, a lot of people involved in the trial said they would not have supported it had they seen the full evidence instead of the cherry picked respectable bits of hours long interrogation of very young children. The worst thing, aside from those falsely accused, is that it turned "victims" into victims through invasive medical tests, the hours long interrogations and many of these children, now grown, still believe they were abused (despite that abuse being impossible when the facts were looked at). It was a complete fuck up from start to finish.

The man at the centre of it all died this year. But in a highly unusual move (the first?) they've allowed his appeal to continue posthumously. I think most people these days believe he was innocent, and even at the time there was a divide between those were inclined to believe in Satanic conspiracies and well, normal people. I can only imagine the results if such a case had happened today with social media as it is. I mean, I don't think social media is anything new, the same wild rumours and conspiracy theories spread well enough by phone and in person gossip back in the day. But at the same time, I do have to admit that it would have taken off in a very different way and would have been far more connected to similar panic overseas.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    The whole thing is that it's quite likely 1 in 4 children are victims of sexual abuse at one point or another. Probably higher than that, really.

It's just fifty million shitty situations and shitty people, combined with apathy and fear where all too often the only people who could help are overworked and overstressed and in a lot of cases even if they realize something is going on powerless to actually do much of anything.

Not some grand global satanic conspiracy.

Granted, there are the Epsteins or Nassars or Sanduskys (which notably AREN'T what the panics are over) but most people are victims of the millions of shitty uncles and older cousins and babysitters and predatory boy/girlfriends. But the mundane evils around us aren't what people want. They want it all wrapped up like a boss with a flashing weak spot where the evil conspiracy collapses and the good guys win forever.

And sometimes the Epsteins or Nassars get caught and brought down. But that's not usually how the world works, and there are way too many Paternos and Jim Jordans out there covering things up. Sadly a lot of the people up in arms with the #savethechildren are people looking the other way because they are more focused on some grand fake conspiracy instead of what's happening in their community or even their family.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's not that sexual abuse is rare. It's that sexual trafficking of minors is very very rare as far as we can tell.

If a kid is getting sexually abused, it's by their coach or their parents or something, rather then an international cabal that is gonna ship them to Turkey to be molested.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I wonder, is there also an element of "oh that doesn't count"? Like how you're only racist if you're in the Klan, maybe some people only see overt acts of intercourse as abuse, and other behaviour surrounding it isn't really that bad?

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    On the subject of Q, the police in Georgia recently claimed to have saved dozens of children from a trafficking ring.

The actual number was zero. What they'd done was basically a welfare sweep of children in the family court system, some of them were living with friends, relatives, or a parent who didn't have custody. Most turned up at home on their own. A couple were located in their home. None were victims of trafficking and those that were victims of abuse suffered at the hands of their caregivers, not members of some global cabal.

The worst part of it is, the reason such a large coordinated sweep had to be done was because there were numerous cases being ignored, it eventually got bad enough to dedicate a whole operation to catching up on them before parents started going to the media.

This is actually afaik basically how this always goes. This hysteria about child sex trafficking rings and the like is almost entirely built on the back of over-hyped press releases about much more mundane things.

I just read an article about that.

Basically the numbers people use are all based on one government employees estimates with no proof of methodology for the numbers and a paper a researcher now no longer supports.

Listen the sex trafficking conspiracy stuff is overwhelmingly bullshit but I'm not about to assume reason.com has a good grip on reality

uH3IcEi.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I wonder, is there also an element of "oh that doesn't count"? Like how you're only racist if you're in the Klan, maybe some people only see overt acts of intercourse as abuse, and other behaviour surrounding it isn't really that bad?

It is really something for a GDST.

But the amount of stuff people are willing to excuse that is absolutely statutory rape, grooming, assault and coercion. Or just straight up rape. By then or people they excuse.

While wanting to burn down the house of anyone who might he a 'sex offender'.

I can give stories but let's just say projection is yet again raising its head whenever that topic comes up.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    https://www.salon.com/2020/09/13/what-are-the-true-goals-of-qanon-its-the-21st-centurys-ultimate-catfish-scheme/

Good article, not paywalled.
    What better word could be used to describe QAnon's relationship with his/her/their followers? If divine intervention allowed these devout, evangelical Christians to see who was actually posting these "Q" messages, they would no doubt vomit into their Wheaties in the morning. Would they still hang on Q's every word if they could suddenly teleport into a glass-lined office building — perhaps on Madison Avenue or in the Virginia suburbs — filled with a team of tattooed, hipster-aged "influencers" hired by the Trump campaign to comb through decades-worth of obscure conspiracy theories and rebrand them as ultra-right-wing horror stories aimed at the gullible and downtrodden? I doubt it.

In the final analysis, based on almost 30 years of experience researching conspiracy theories, I can only conclude that QAnon is the ultimate catfish scheme for the 21st century.
    For example, in one episode of the aforementioned "Rick B2T" QAnon talk show, Rick's anonymous buddy "Gene" flashes a photo of Ellen DeGeneres sitting on the set of her daily talk show. On the wall behind DeGeneres, to the right, one can see a series of horizontal lines; to the left is a mural that depicts a row of palm trees. "Gene" then flashes a photo of Epstein's mosque-like temple, the walls of which are decorated with a series of horizontal lines. The temple is surrounded by palm trees. A horrified expression darkens the face of "Rick B2T," immediately after which he snarls, "Can you believe that? Her set is Epstein Island! That is just sick!"

Horizontal lines.

Palm trees.

Based on these uncanny symbols, one can only conclude the obvious: Ellen DeGeneres is involved in sex trafficking, just like Epstein.

One wonders how Rick would react if he ever encountered a real Satanic symbol.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    On the subject of Q, the police in Georgia recently claimed to have saved dozens of children from a trafficking ring.

The actual number was zero. What they'd done was basically a welfare sweep of children in the family court system, some of them were living with friends, relatives, or a parent who didn't have custody. Most turned up at home on their own. A couple were located in their home. None were victims of trafficking and those that were victims of abuse suffered at the hands of their caregivers, not members of some global cabal.

The worst part of it is, the reason such a large coordinated sweep had to be done was because there were numerous cases being ignored, it eventually got bad enough to dedicate a whole operation to catching up on them before parents started going to the media.

This is actually afaik basically how this always goes. This hysteria about child sex trafficking rings and the like is almost entirely built on the back of over-hyped press releases about much more mundane things.

I did a GOP telephone push-poll last night and one of the questions was "tell me whether hear news about the following subjects makes you very angry, somewhat, not very, not at all angry:"
    Various topics in there but the second one was "child sex trafficking rings".

Republican groups are now push-polling Qanon topics!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    spool32 wrote: »

I did a GOP telephone push-poll last night and one of the questions was "tell me whether hear news about the following subjects makes you very angry, somewhat, not very, not at all angry:"
    Various topics in there but the second one was "child sex trafficking rings".

Republican groups are now push-polling Qanon topics!

Yes, and it's terrifying. This guy literally was the architect of our post-9/11 rendition operations and now he's calling for people to be prepared to shoot Democrats in the street:

DarkPrimus on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    That latest claim going around that SARS2 was produced in a Chinese lab and had a "study" co-authored by a Chinese virologist to prove it? The claim was created and spread by two of Steve Bannon's organizations. Bannon's been pushing this for months, it seems. Right-wing outlets have been trying to make it an official conspiracy theory since February or so, and a lot of it seems to be because Bannon has a fuckton of shadow groups just lying around.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    They really want a war, don't they?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Similar to the 90s Satanic Panic. Stats like "1 in 4 children are sexually abused" became questions looking for an answer. "If it was so common, where were the victims?" The answer that caught on was "a global satanic conspiracy is covering it up". In NZ feminist academics teamed up with paranoid church parents in a kind of symbiosis. They legitimised each other, the Satan sniffers provided victims and the psychologists legitimised repressed memories with a confirmation bias towards finding more victims. Children were pressured into giving evidence of imaginary crimes and then when they attempted to recant their testimony that was ignored while their evidence was kept. It was "believe the victim" ...except when the "victim's" testimony was inconvenient. "Witch hunt" was probably the word that summed up the frenzy as improper handling of accusations caused rumours to spread as worried parents consulted with each other. The crazy Satanic Panic fuelled statements would then be sanitised into less crazy sounding "evidence". Basements that didn't exist, absurd abuse (stabbing infants, drinking blood, being put in cages etc) were all ignored. At the time all of the crazy bits were not reported on, but when it came out afterwards, a lot of people involved in the trial said they would not have supported it had they seen the full evidence instead of the cherry picked respectable bits of hours long interrogation of very young children. The worst thing, aside from those falsely accused, is that it turned "victims" into victims through invasive medical tests, the hours long interrogations and many of these children, now grown, still believe they were abused (despite that abuse being impossible when the facts were looked at). It was a complete fuck up from start to finish.

The man at the centre of it all died this year. But in a highly unusual move (the first?) they've allowed his appeal to continue posthumously. I think most people these days believe he was innocent, and even at the time there was a divide between those were inclined to believe in Satanic conspiracies and well, normal people. I can only imagine the results if such a case had happened today with social media as it is. I mean, I don't think social media is anything new, the same wild rumours and conspiracy theories spread well enough by phone and in person gossip back in the day. But at the same time, I do have to admit that it would have taken off in a very different way and would have been far more connected to similar panic overseas.

With specific regard to the McMartin preschool trials, it goes beyond that. Judy Johnson, the mother at the center of the original complaints, initially accused Ray Buckey (a teacher at the pre-school) and her own ex-husband of Satanic ritual abuse because she determined that her son's anus was red and irritated during her daily inspection of his butthole.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I mean... How old was the kid? That's a lot less weird than it sounds when a kid's in diapers, you get kinda familiar with the area.

Hevach on
    edited September 2020
    I mean... How old was the kid? That's a lot less weird than it sounds when a kid's in diapers, you get kinda familiar with the area.

Her son was around two and a half at the point when she alleged the abuse took place. I don't have kids so I'm not sure how much would be considered normal, but her interest in her child's genitals and anus was noted as unusual at the time and linked to her diagnosed schizophrenia. This was a major component of the trial at the time because the defense relied heavily on the fact that Judy Johnson was quite clearly mentally ill, to the point that the trial was delayed for several months in 1985 while she was hospitalized following a psychotic episode. The trial itself didn't really get going until after Judy Johnson died in 1986, by which point it had completely taken on a life of its own sustained by various other groups.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited September 2020

Her son was around two and a half at the point when she alleged the abuse took place.

At two and a half any parent actually involved with their child is inspecting their kid's butthole multiple times a day as part of basic care.

shryke on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well plus or minus. Though the idea that a kid has a red anus as some sort of evidence of anything suggests she was not the one changing the diapers before the kid was potty trained.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited September 2020

Her son was around two and a half at the point when she alleged the abuse took place.

At two and a half any parent actually involved with their child is inspecting their kid's butthole multiple times a day as part of basic care.

A fair percent of kids aren't potty trained at that age, and if they are they're probably still in that even worse phase where they go but haven't mastered the wipe properly.
    My wife just last week had to utter the sentence, "Oh my God did you just wipe that on your plate and then pick up your hot dog I fucking swear we should have gotten a dog."

Hevach on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Well plus or minus. Though the idea that a kid has a red anus as some sort of evidence of anything suggests she was not the one changing the diapers before the kid was potty trained.

I know you meant that just as a joke, but it really needs to keep in mind that she was severely mentally ill. As horrific as everything that stemmed from her actions were, I think it needs to be kept in mind that she was very sick in a way that directly distorts ones ability to interpret reality.

Part of Judy Johnson's (keep in mind she's the mother, not one of the kids) testimony also involved Ray Buckey's ability to fly, a power that he curiously never exhibited during the better part of the six years he was held without bail.

Well of course you don't just fly in front of people, they throw fuckers in Azkaban for that shit.

Goumindong wrote: »

I know you meant that just as a joke, but it really needs to keep in mind that she was severely mentally ill. As horrific as everything that stemmed from her actions were, I think it needs to be kept in mind that she was very sick in a way that directly distorts ones ability to interpret reality.

Yes, exactly. Judy Johnson was the original accuser but isn't the villain, her actions were a result of mental illness. The villains of the story are the huge cast of grifters who ruined multiple lives and wasted something like $15 million on a case that was clearly complete nonsense from the jump.

Look, all I'm saying is that parenting a young child can be fairly accurately described as a deep and abiding interest in the bowel movements of another human being. Inspecting a butthole for proper colouration is just an every day activity.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I now deeply regret catching up on this thread...

"I see everything twice!"

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Pinworms. Only parents will understand.

edited September 2020

We've never had that one but after mentioning it my mother-in-law is now having some kind of war flashback so... Thanks for that, maybe this is the one that'll finally finish her off.

Hevach on
  • knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    I once went sifting through my child’s poop because I thought I saw a pinworm. After 30 minutes I thought about getting a colander. I gave up shortly after.

Clear tape, y'all. Apply first thing in the morning, then look at the tape under a microscope (or probably more like, take it to the doctor/a lab to look at).

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    knight11e wrote: »
    I once went sifting through my child’s poop because I thought I saw a pinworm. After 30 minutes I thought about getting a colander. I gave up shortly after.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Clear tape, y'all. Apply first thing in the morning, then look at the tape under a microscope (or probably more like, take it to the doctor/a lab to look at).
    I now deeply regret catching up on this thread...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There are reports of armed militias pulling people aside in Oregon as they're leaving the fire, looking for Aunty-Fa. I can't find the thread now, but one reporter was Tweeting while he was being held and interrogated by a white supremacist militia.

In related news, I think we can put this forum's debate of "is Joe Rogan part of the alt-right" to bed now:

Joe Rogan lies to his millions of listeners that left-wing activists are starting forest fires in Oregon. This dangerous claim has been completely debunked.
    The author is a researcher for Media Matters For America.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    Related: an interesting thread on how historically, destructive fires have often been the source of conspiracy theories directed at out-groups and migrants

There's a bunch of fascinating stories and links in the thread, but this one in particular I had no idea about

tynic on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Oh looky. Who would be surprised that Amazon and Walmart, among others, are fueling Q-Anon bullshit? Anyone? Anyone at all?

https://apnews.com/11f7e4fc9aa49e4e4dfb7affcd9302eb
    Walmart, Amazon and other corporate giants donated money to the reelection campaign of a Tennessee state lawmaker who had used social media to amplify and promote the QAnon conspiracy theory, according to an Associated Press review of campaign finance records and the candidate’s posts.

The corporate support for a QAnon-promoting politician is another example of how the conspiracy theory has penetrated mainstream politics, spreading beyond its origins on internet message boards popular with right-wing extremists.

Dozens of QAnon-promoting candidates have run for federal or state offices during this election cycle. Collectively, they have raised millions of dollars from thousands of donors. Individually, however, most of them have run poorly financed campaigns with little or no corporate or party backing. Unlike state Rep. Susan Lynn, who chairs the Tennessee House finance committee, few are incumbents who can attract corporate PAC money.
    Congress is virtually certain to have at least one QAnon-supporting member next year. Marjorie Taylor Greene, whose campaign has raised over $1 million, appeared to be coasting to victory in a deep-red congressional district in Georgia even before her Democratic opponent dropped out of the race.

An interview with Fredrick Brennan, founder of 8chan who now disavows it due to everything. It's an interesting listen about who he says is Q (or at least in charge) but if you don't have the hour or don't want to:

QAnon was originally an outgrowth of a game people played on 8chan where people named themselves "___Anon" and claimed to be government agents with super-secret knowledge. For some reason, Q caught on in popularity, possibly because the creator of it was a sad-sack attention whore who endlessly promoted Q by pretending he was Q's bestest friend and managing to get on Infowars. However, due to a combination of the megalomania of Jim Watkins (owner of 8chan) and really bad password security (Q's original password was "matlock"), it got taken over and stolen from the original creator, and Brennan states (due to his inside knowledge of how 8chan works, since he wrote the damn code himself) Jim Watkins is now absolutely in charge of Q, since Q has admin access to the boards. It might be Jim himself, or his son, or some toadie working for him, but Watkins is absolutely, 100% in control of Q.

Incidentally, all the stuff Q claims about worldwide eeeevil pedophile rings are conspiracy theories that Jim Watkins himself tried to push on his own Infowars-ripoff site years before. That site never took off.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I think the constellation of conspiracy beliefs that started as QAnon has reached a self-perpetuating state at this point. It doesn't matter if it comes out that "The real Q" is some random conspiracy kook. People with no idea of what QAnon is or where it came from are out there making and sharing memes about it on Facebook purely on a vague understanding that The Democrats hate America/Christianity/The Children.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    It won't sway the True Believers, but knowing the narrative and being able to tell folks who just kinda sorta heard about some Q thing before they get indoctrinated might save a few people. I've already convinced one older woman that Q is Bad Shit she should stay away from.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So what you’re saying is Q wasn’t the friends we made along the way?

Mayabird wrote: »

An interview with Fredrick Brennan, founder of 8chan who now disavows it due to everything. It's an interesting listen about who he says is Q (or at least in charge) but if you don't have the hour or don't want to:

QAnon was originally an outgrowth of a game people played on 8chan where people named themselves "___Anon" and claimed to be government agents with super-secret knowledge. For some reason, Q caught on in popularity, possibly because the creator of it was a sad-sack attention whore who endlessly promoted Q by pretending he was Q's bestest friend and managing to get on Infowars. However, due to a combination of the megalomania of Jim Watkins (owner of 8chan) and really bad password security (Q's original password was "matlock"), it got taken over and stolen from the original creator, and Brennan states (due to his inside knowledge of how 8chan works, since he wrote the damn code himself) Jim Watkins is now absolutely in charge of Q, since Q has admin access to the boards. It might be Jim himself, or his son, or some toadie working for him, but Watkins is absolutely, 100% in control of Q.

Incidentally, all the stuff Q claims about worldwide eeeevil pedophile rings are conspiracy theories that Jim Watkins himself tried to push on his own Infowars-ripoff site years before. That site never took off.

Jeez. Not to be crass, but I'm surprised some government hasn't just black-bagged Watkins and hooked his nuts up to a car battery to seize control of all these insane idiots.

• LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    Jeez. Not to be crass, but I'm surprised some government hasn't just black-bagged Watkins and hooked his nuts up to a car battery to seize control of all these insane idiots.

There is really no need for that when the President signal boosts this crap on Twitter and at his rallies. All of our enemies benefit from a weak, sociopathic government under Trump. As pointed out above, the reaction is self sustaining.

There is really no need for that when the President signal boosts this crap on Twitter and at his rallies. All of our enemies benefit from a weak, sociopathic government under Trump. As pointed out above, the reaction is self sustaining.

I was thinking more about the enemies of Trump's friends. Like what happens if you seize control of Q and start including Russia, Saudi Arabia, turkey and/or Israel at the top of the list of global pedovores.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    People are making their own ones up anyway, you don't really need the original.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I'm curious where you go with a belief in widespread covert child...trafficking? sacrifice? harvesting? whatever the fuck the general thread of QAnon is nowadays...becoming an accepted part of cultural background noise. Does it just fade away once Trump is no longer in office and become a weird quirk of that person you try not to get into casual conversations with at the office, like chemtrails or cellphones giving you brain cancer and the moon landing being faked? Does it become some kind of weird new secular religion? Does it build to critical mass and society just implodes? It just seems weirdly widespread and accepted despite being utterly absurd in a way that other conspiracy theories haven't been.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian