As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Lower Decks trailer is out. SPOILERS in effect!

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I would recommend a skip guide for voyager, maybe even on the first watch. Some episodes are pretty damn awful

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't really do skip guides. It's every episode or nothing.

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Catching up on Lower Decks, episode six:
    Badgey wrote:
    [...]your little green friend's [...]
    [insert stream of expletives]
    Again!?

Stupid colourblindness.

I can see it now, how do I keep missing this? You'd think I'd start recognizing "Slightly odd tan" as "GREEN, you idiot!" by now, but nooo.
    (Lessee, there was Kirk's hookup in Abram's 2009 Star Trek, Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy, Five's hair in Dark Matter ... probably more.)

Okay, back to actual Trek talk.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Anecdotally, Picard is divisive in our house; I think the earlier episodes are lo-fi character studies and draw you into the world, and the Mrs thinks they were unconscionably dull and kept asking when things would happen.

I think that's why Picard failed for me as a show. It could have been a great introspective show with character studies and cultures fleshed out and criticism of racism etc. TNG had many great episodes tackling these themes. Or it could have been an action show. Big fleets, battles, fights between characters, advances against an existential foe, etc. DS9 did it to great success with the Dominion War.

The problem is, it tries to be both. It starts off as an introspective show, then halfway through ditches all introspection and kicks into high gear fighting an existential foe. So all the introspection and world-building ends up meaning jack shit and having zero payoff, and the fighting is rushed and lacks any believable stakes.

Take DS9 again. No one watching the show believed the Dominion would defeat the Federation and take over the Alpha Quadrant. But because the war was spread over several seasons, you could have victories and defeats. You could see Bethazed get occupied, Earth get bombarded, and DS9 get abandoned to enemy forces. You could see desperate fights to hold on to communication hubs and capture enemy ships. You could debate the morality of shady tactics like deploying a plague to wipe out the enemy or murder a senator or have a Starfleet coup of the Federation as means to the noble end of making the war end faster and easier. And all this really serves as a backdrop to the real story, the lives of the main cast on DS9, how they live through the war and adapt to it. Picard tries to do an entire war for the Federation's survival in 4 episodes. So not only do we not believe it for one second, but we get nothing but a straight line to victory for our characters with no side stories, no stakes, no setbacks or sacrifices or questions, and most of all no personal impacts on them.

Meanwhile, take TNG. Most of the great episodes were introspective. The Inner Light, Darmok, Q Who, Drumhead, Measure of a Man, I Borg, Tapestry, Yesterday's Enterprise, I'd even include All Good Things in this category, since the world-destroying threat in that one was really just a catalyst for introspection rather than the point of it. But all of those had payoffs, the characters involved learning something about themselves or the world by the end of the episode. Picard's story-arc structured allowed them to push off the payoff instead of having it per episode, but then they dropped it completely. We had no payoff on the Romulan culture payoff, on the xenophobia, on surviving the destruction of Romulus in small dirt colonies, on the Sisterhood thing, on the Federation's failure to help the Romulans, nothing.

In trying to do everything, Picard fails to accomplish anything.

sig.gif
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think Picard has a very TNG message - we choose to be who we are. We choose our own actions. Evil, darkness, etc. aren't inevitable.

The problem is that it's muddled. There's these half-formed arcs about trust, and family, and societal values, and aging and death, and how we treat refugees, and a bunch of other things that could work as their own seasons individually, but they're all crammed into 10 episodes so none of them actually get fleshed out at all. And on top of that you have almost random darkness strewn about.

Picard really needs better editing at the writing stage. Less cruft.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I know what you mean when you say there's a cost demand for CG/makeup/sets, and it is true. Yet bitterly ironic when some of the best Trek out there is little more than 2 people in a room talking to each other.

and sometimes 3-5 lights.

GASLIGHT-IMAGE.png

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Finished Picard last night. Could've been better, could've been worse, but I liked how it placed talking and giving agency and choices above shooty bang bang at the end. It often felt like something that wasn't Star Trek at all, with a bickering and broken crew, but I dunno if I'd have enjoyed something that was hammering my nostalgia button like a whack a mole.

I think I preferred it to the constant emotional incontinence of Discovery. I'm also watching Voyager right now on maybe my third attempt to get through it and claim my long service badge, and it's better than that. Although I seem to have hit a reasonable patch of episodes at the end of season 2.

Emotional incontinence - definitely going to use that one in the future.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Finished Picard last night. Could've been better, could've been worse, but I liked how it placed talking and giving agency and choices above shooty bang bang at the end. It often felt like something that wasn't Star Trek at all, with a bickering and broken crew, but I dunno if I'd have enjoyed something that was hammering my nostalgia button like a whack a mole.

I think I preferred it to the constant emotional incontinence of Discovery. I'm also watching Voyager right now on maybe my third attempt to get through it and claim my long service badge, and it's better than that. Although I seem to have hit a reasonable patch of episodes at the end of season 2.

Thing about Voyager, unlike what's come since, it was still willing to take chances and didn't just sit in it's comfort corner for it's entire run. It gambled and lost more than it won compared to DS9, but it still won. It has legit 10/10 episodes.

Compare to Enterprise, which took no real chances and was just consistently mediocre. It's best episodes are maybe 7/10 but TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager all have worse episodes than Enterprise's worst.

Discovery is even less willing to leave their corner, though they try to make it look like they're taking some huge gamble all the time they're really just doing the same thing in a NEW PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN SETTING.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Richy wrote: »
    Anecdotally, Picard is divisive in our house; I think the earlier episodes are lo-fi character studies and draw you into the world, and the Mrs thinks they were unconscionably dull and kept asking when things would happen.

I think that's why Picard failed for me as a show. It could have been a great introspective show with character studies and cultures fleshed out and criticism of racism etc. TNG had many great episodes tackling these themes. Or it could have been an action show. Big fleets, battles, fights between characters, advances against an existential foe, etc. DS9 did it to great success with the Dominion War.

The problem is, it tries to be both. It starts off as an introspective show, then halfway through ditches all introspection and kicks into high gear fighting an existential foe. So all the introspection and world-building ends up meaning jack shit and having zero payoff, and the fighting is rushed and lacks any believable stakes.

Take DS9 again. No one watching the show believed the Dominion would defeat the Federation and take over the Alpha Quadrant. But because the war was spread over several seasons, you could have victories and defeats. You could see Bethazed get occupied, Earth get bombarded, and DS9 get abandoned to enemy forces. You could see desperate fights to hold on to communication hubs and capture enemy ships. You could debate the morality of shady tactics like deploying a plague to wipe out the enemy or murder a senator or have a Starfleet coup of the Federation as means to the noble end of making the war end faster and easier. And all this really serves as a backdrop to the real story, the lives of the main cast on DS9, how they live through the war and adapt to it. Picard tries to do an entire war for the Federation's survival in 4 episodes. So not only do we not believe it for one second, but we get nothing but a straight line to victory for our characters with no side stories, no stakes, no setbacks or sacrifices or questions, and most of all no personal impacts on them.

Meanwhile, take TNG. Most of the great episodes were introspective. The Inner Light, Darmok, Q Who, Drumhead, Measure of a Man, I Borg, Tapestry, Yesterday's Enterprise, I'd even include All Good Things in this category, since the world-destroying threat in that one was really just a catalyst for introspection rather than the point of it. But all of those had payoffs, the characters involved learning something about themselves or the world by the end of the episode. Picard's story-arc structured allowed them to push off the payoff instead of having it per episode, but then they dropped it completely. We had no payoff on the Romulan culture payoff, on the xenophobia, on surviving the destruction of Romulus in small dirt colonies, on the Sisterhood thing, on the Federation's failure to help the Romulans, nothing.

In trying to do everything, Picard fails to accomplish anything.

I don't think it would solve all the problems with the show (there's a lot of them imo), but just like:
    remove the Reapers coming to kill us all, consequently find a more grounded and less ridiculous motivation for anti-sythn prejudice and reduce the Romulan fleet to 1 Warbird and the Federation response to 1 ship
    and I think the whole thing would feel a lot more coherent and less silly. The stakes would feel more appropriate and less ginned up.

shryke on
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I love how even people new to the show not hate watching it with others, not feeding on negative discourse week by week, etc, have all the same complaints months later lol. Clearly shows that Picard had some major problems

I think across the board, even the most ardent Picard super fans have admitted the show had a litany of problems and buckets of missed opportunities.

Example
    The AI Cataclysm being a result of Whale Probe syndrome would have been far more interesting and in line with Trek ideals than just "oh there IS a super invincible and inevitably hostile AI group out there."

I also agree with
    The Brain Disease. It was

2- "you have a brain disease"
    7- "I know about your brain disease"
    9 - "By the way I have a brain disease"
    10 - "Oh no, the brain disease! Never mind, he's okay now"

As a ticking clock it didn't really tick. It just went straight to the alarm.

I still love the show's high points. But it was really inconsistent.

picard:
    Not to mention the hideously clumsy way that arc was closed out:

9.5 - completely out of the blue, let's talk about how we have an android body that is just waiting for a mind to be stuck into it
    10.5 - oh no Picard, the star of Picard, has died, guess the show's over now, cue lots of shots of sobbing grieving characters and overwrought music as the audience taps its foot impatiently waiting for the show to remember that it is called PICARD and just stuff his mind into that android body already

like, if you're going to kill off a major character and exploit it for pathos, I can't think of a better way to short-circuit the drama than this

madparrot on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    I love how even people new to the show not hate watching it with others, not feeding on negative discourse week by week, etc, have all the same complaints months later lol. Clearly shows that Picard had some major problems

I think across the board, even the most ardent Picard super fans have admitted the show had a litany of problems and buckets of missed opportunities.

Example
    The AI Cataclysm being a result of Whale Probe syndrome would have been far more interesting and in line with Trek ideals than just "oh there IS a super invincible and inevitably hostile AI group out there."

I also agree with

picard:

9.5 - completely out of the blue, let's talk about how we have an android body that is just waiting for a mind to be stuck into it
    10.5 - oh no Picard, the star of Picard, has died, guess the show's over now, cue lots of shots of sobbing grieving characters and overwrought music as the audience taps its foot impatiently waiting for the show to remember that it is called PICARD and just stuff his mind into that android body already

like, if you're going to kill off a major character and exploit it for pathos, I can't think of a better way to short-circuit the drama than this

I liked the suggestion
    That Troi and Riker's son's positronic treatment could have been the Chekhov's Gun. That of course a Soong has positronic gear lying around to attempt such a thing on the fly, and this can even still give you the Picard Data meeting, which was still great.

edited September 2020
    Re: the Admonition
    we don't actually know what will happen when the Reapers come. The admonition doesn't actually say - it says they destroyed their own creators on that world, but they didn't purge the galaxy.

We have only the assertions of a group of Romulans who couldn't see the Admonition in its entirety and were so bent on killing synthetics that they launched an assassination in the capitol of the fucking Federation during peacetime to kill a RANDOM CIVILIAN.

Perfectly compatible possibilities that aren't even worth caring about:

-They will purge the planet as they did at the site of the Admonition, meaning the space flowers and Dr. Soong die.
    -They will only kill the creators, meaning Dr. Soong dies.
    -They will only kill *enslavers*, meaning they'll fuck back off because the synthetics aren't slaves why the fuck did you even call us?
    -They will enforce terms of equality, which the Federation will likely agree to but the Romulans will resist and get blown up.
    -They will take the synthetics away to robot heaven (bye!)
    -They will enforce independence, but they are already living free and undetected, perhaps the Reapers will install a defense system to protect that and the Federation will fuck off and not care while the Romulans will fight and get blown up.
    -Its a trap and they'll kill the synthetics and brofist the Romulans before going home with a case of top vintage kalifal.
    Honestly I find most of these more plausible than what the show insists is going to happen.

Hevach on
    madparrot wrote: »

Example

I also agree with

picard:

The even bigger problem imo is:
    all the characters through whom we are supposed to feel the grief just fucking met the guy. This isn't the TNG crew mourning him, it's some fuckos he met last weekend. It completely kills any potential emotional weight the scene can have because we have no investment in the relationships they are leaning on to make it work.

It's a pure "Cumberbatch saying he's Khan" style moment. Trying to force an emotional reaction via things you haven't bothered to establish within your own work and are just stealing from another one without doing the work to import that association.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Look I'm sure
    the giant evil robotic tentacles were actually good guys

Winky wrote: »
    Look I'm sure

That's what hentai has taught me.

edited September 2020
    Look I'm sure
    none of my thoughts require them to be. It's just absurd to assume that they're going to purge the entire galaxy, considering they appear to have stopped at one the first time (the date range given puts it during the Iconians' height but tens of thousands of years before their downfall) and because there now an alliance of synthetic life and not just the single faction anymore, they have acted more than once and have not purged the galaxy any of those times, either.

All they require is that, hey, maybe the fanatical assassin's who can't read the message and were never on the receiving end of its response might not be the authority on what it does.

Hevach on
    That is probably the part that annoyed me the most. A group of secretive (even by Romulan standards) assassin spies tell people that there's a rogue AI plot and we need to destroy all AI to stop it, and everyone is 100% on board with murder and genocide no questions asked.

sig.gif
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    -
    Hevach wrote: »
    Look I'm sure
    none of my thoughts require them to be. It's just absurd to assume that they're going to purge the entire galaxy, considering they appear to have stopped at one the first time (the date range given puts it during the Iconians' height but tens of thousands of years before their downfall) and because there now an alliance of synthetic life and not just the single faction anymore, they have acted more than once and have not purged the galaxy any of those times, either.

All they require is that, hey, maybe the fanatical assassin's who can't read the message and were never on the receiving end of its response might not be the authority on what it does.
    it's extra funny when you realize that the only way Androids pose a threat is if they ever touch the beacon. So the only real threat is that beacon and any of the morons dumb enough to touch it.

Also I assume everyone in the order has a Shutterstock watermark permanently imprinted in their brain.

DanHibiki on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    20200914_222552.jpg

rRwz9.gif
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    The best part about that is how lost Jellico looks in the background.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The best part is Data would say that in total sincerity, not realizing it's a joke.

Oh god, now I'm thinking about the episode where Data tries to learn stand up comedy. Woof. TNG had some stinkers.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The best part is Data would say that in total sincerity, not realizing it's a joke.

Oh god, now I'm thinking about the episode where Data tries to learn stand up comedy. Woof. TNG had some stinkers.

I do enjoy that that, and other not-so-great Data episodes, almost inevitably make out that rather than an android trying to discover a soul he's seen more as that clueless dork who tells you about his Pokemons whether you want to hear about them or not. There's a certain amount of truthiness to that version of Data too, I think.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    On the other hand, the one where he programs a small talk subroutine and the crew train him at the annoying starbase commander is great

rRwz9.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have reached the Tuvix episode. I'll never understand why the crew didn't simply bring just Tuvok back and never mention Neelix again. Suspension of disbelief broken forever.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Have the cast ever voiced their opinions on the Tuvix episode?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Have the cast ever voiced their opinions on the Tuvix episode?

I'd assume Tim Russ and Ethan Phillips were both fine with not being replaced by another actor? :P

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Mulgrew commented on one line ("At one point did he become an individual and not a transporter accident?") that nobody actually knew how to not make sound like shit, but that's the only cast comment I've ever seen.

Except for the guest star who actually played Tuvix, he's said quite a bit. Phillips was originally going to be Tuvix but they brought in Tim Wright fairly late. Wright couldn't get any solid input from the writers, the directors, and barely any from the rest of the cast. He read the script and was just tossed on the stage in a rubber face to wing it, which he hated. He didn't have anything negative to say, but aside from McNeil helping him with technobabble and a really flowery opinion of Kes that he was always eager to share not much positive either.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I really need to watch DS9

Dongs Galore on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I really need to watch DS9

Much as I want to claim the credit for the above, even the bits I disagree with, and you do need to watch DS9 (it’s great! It’s on Netflix!), pretty sure @Richy said all of that above quote!

I have reached the Tuvix episode. I'll never understand why the crew didn't simply bring just Tuvok back and never mention Neelix again. Suspension of disbelief broken forever.

When they took the Neelix out of Tuvik they had to put it somewhere and no one was willing to openly suggest the airlock.

Kes was still around at that point and the crew actually liked her, and she actually liked Neelix. It was kind of like keeping Harry Kim because he had a really cool cat.

• GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    Really great episode. Probably the most Trek of the lot so far and was actually a good example of what you can accomplish with animation that would be expensive as hell otherwise with live action.
    axt8n8ozbhxh.jpg

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mulgrew commented on one line ("At one point did he become an individual and not a transporter accident?") that nobody actually knew how to not make sound like shit, but that's the only cast comment I've ever seen.

Except for the guest star who actually played Tuvix, he's said quite a bit. Phillips was originally going to be Tuvix but they brought in Tim Wright fairly late. Wright couldn't get any solid input from the writers, the directors, and barely any from the rest of the cast. He read the script and was just tossed on the stage in a rubber face to wing it, which he hated. He didn't have anything negative to say, but aside from McNeil helping him with technobabble and a really flowery opinion of Kes that he was always eager to share not much positive either.

That's a pretty depressing comment. Not even a strong "It was shit!" vibe, just a 'meh, whatever'.

The Voyager experience just must have been so dispiriting.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The Voyager experience just must have been so dispiriting.
    I do hope that this improved over time, because I would hate to imagine any team working together for seven years without getting at least *some* enjoyment out of the process.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Most of the regular cast have had good things to say, and most engaged with the fans for some time (several still do, particularly Garret Wang, whose opinion seems to be that it wasn't great but just getting to be on Star Trek made up for it to him).

The big exception was Robert Beltran, who has called Voyager "penance for all my sins." He did get dragged into the virtual Trek con recently and he's very resistant to reprising his role (supposedly he'd been approached for Picard) and has a very derisive opinion on his fellow Voyager actors who have appeared on Orville or Star Trek Online, even had stuff to say about Janeway having, "Nothing to do," in Nemesis.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Most of the regular cast have had good things to say, and most engaged with the fans for some time (several still do, particularly Garret Wang, whose opinion seems to be that it wasn't great but just getting to be on Star Trek made up for it to him).

The big exception was Robert Beltran, who has called Voyager "penance for all my sins." He did get dragged into the virtual Trek con recently and he's very resistant to reprising his role (supposedly he'd been approached for Picard) and has a very derisive opinion on his fellow Voyager actors who have appeared on Orville or Star Trek Online, even had stuff to say about Janeway having, "Nothing to do," in Nemesis.

Sounds like he just has a negative attitude towards the whole thing. Which I understand since, well, he had to play chakotay for several years....

I'd be pissed too if my best known role was playing a racist caricature on a poorly written spin off.

He didn't even know about Jamake Highwater until years after, either - he was trying to get killed off halfway through season 2 because he didn't get as many scenes as Frakes did. Which is also pretty fair, because we see Janeway filling the role as both Picard and Riker and Chakotay filling a role closer to Troi, sitting next to the captain and stating the obvious.

At some point after his favorite writers left he came up with a rule that unless he got to be the main person in one scene that didn't involve Mulgrew and wasn't on the bridge, he was just going to be a dick on the set for that episode, and it's kind of impressive that he's apparently a naturally nice enough guy that he only ruined the experience for himself and not those around him.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I don't have a lot of sympathy for Beltran in light of how Jeri Ryan was treated, or how any of the women were treated for that matter. The writers shafted Chakotay, but at a certain point you either have to walk off the set or just enjoy being employed.

• GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Beltran basically had the opposite of Garrett Wang's deal. While B&B clearly hated Wang with a passion and wanted so badly to kill him off, Beltran couldn't get killed off no matter what he did. He asked for more money and they just kept giving him more money.

On an unrelated note, I'd definitely add Lt. Jr. Grade Picard to my roster. Seems like a reliable guy regardless of Q's misgivings about playing it safe.

bno0k58veiwl.jpg

Glyph on
    Glyph wrote: »
    Beltran basically had the opposite of Garrett Wang's deal. While B&B clearly hated Wang with a passion and wanted so badly to kill him off, Beltran couldn't get killed off no matter what he did. He asked for more money and they just kept giving him more money.

The horror!

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.