As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally, a video game about the best part of [Star Wars]

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Rian Johnson's mistakes are completely different than JJ Abrams' superficial, vapid bullshit

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Squadrons will support throttle and joystick peripherals even on consoles through a day-one patch:

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Squadrons will support throttle and joystick peripherals even on consoles through a day-one patch:

I AM NOW GETTING A PS4 JOY STICK AND ALL OF YOU CAN SUCK IT

I'M SORRY I'M JUST SO EXCITED

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh I wonder if my HOTAS works with my xbone? Something to investigate tonight. This makes me also wonder how many copies of this game I’ll end up buying!?

Ok now please tell me which flightstick to get for my ps4 because it has vr and oh god I am going to die.

I can live in the best part of star wars I am going to forget to eat and just voom voom shoot shoot all damn day.

Senpai Fel WITNESS ME

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Oh nooooo now I'm going to be tempted.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I appreciate that squadrons will have hotas support.

Now if only my hotas fucking worked. Pulled my X56 out of the closest to try it out with MS Flight Sim and either the stick is broken or it just does not like my PC anymore. Like I’ve reached “download this zip file to edit your registry” levels of beating my head against the wall.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Ok now please tell me which flightstick to get for my ps4 because it has vr and oh god I am going to die.

I can live in the best part of star wars I am going to forget to eat and just voom voom shoot shoot all damn day.

Senpai Fel WITNESS ME

Flightstick and vr???

I'm so fucking angry now. I don't want to buy this thing!

...when's it coming out?

Added: ugh my stupid brain right now: You missed out on Steel Battalion. You want that to happen again?

Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a q-tip

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    https://youtu.be/f2VmOqjV_7Q

I am going to have to carry a book in front of me all day now

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    That trailer made me want to talk about Star Wars again. In the immortal words of Shrek I am a Belieber or something.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Recently youtube recommended that I watch "shrek song (hallelujah)" and a spurt of vomit jetted out my left nostril

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Coincidentally I finally watched through The Mandalorian. Turns out, it's pretty good!

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Now that's the kind of fighter pilot shit I wanna see

just a bit over 2 weeks now

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Another year of a good television and gaming for star wars? And without a terrible movie to take the wind out of the sails? In 2020? It's a goddamn miracle.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Another year of a good television and gaming for star wars? And without a terrible movie to take the wind out of the sails? In 2020? It's a goddamn miracle.

One of those things involves a huge transphobe so I’m not feeling that excited.

Quire.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

One of those things involves a huge transphobe so I’m not feeling that excited.

???

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    And here I thought you meant Gina Carano.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Gina Carano doesn't seem like a transaphobe

But rather she seems like a dumbass who can't help herself from being an edgelord.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Yeah she's just picking a particularly bad hill to die on, which is not at all helped by the fact that she is starring in the same show as other said transphobe.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Honestly I forgot about her until like an hour ago when someone pointed out that two transphobes were on the cast. It really sucks and I don’t know how I keep watching despite that. I probably don’t.

As for whether Carano counts as a transphobe I would say that there are multiple definitions of transphobe. She probably doesn’t hate trans people or wish them harm but she sure as hell doesn’t seem to care that she is 1. Hurting trans people by making shit jokes 2. Causing full-on unquestionable transphobes to rally around her.

If the fandom menace starts to like you a course correction is usually required.

Quire.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ah hell, I hadn't heard that about Rosario Dawson.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    i don't think there's any point in trying to distinguish "oh that's not what she believes in her heart" or whatever, because at the end of the day she still did shitty transphobic jokes. the difference between true believer and asshole is both invisible and worthless.

Daypigeon on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

representation in star wars is a real fuckin' monkey's paw

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

like when the sympathetic character who looks like you is working for the Space Nazis?

If it's anything like every other Imperial sided story in the Star Wars canon so far he will defect to the Alliance by the 4th mission tops.

edited September 2020

Considering this period of Star Wars' close relationship to WWII, it felt kind of spot on? Weren't Japanese fighters (who sided with the Nazis) known to have fought well past the end of the war?

Also, representation shouldn't just mean diversity only goes to the good guys, right?

Last, the Rebel pilot clearly came across as a dick, just hunting this dude for basically sport and he had a disdain for him that came through in just one line. While our protag was just trying to save lives and get people home safe. It's a blurred line of who the good guy and bad guy is in that particular situation.

ObiFett on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I aint watchin nothin bout no heroic Luftwaffe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    There's a big goddamn difference between glorifying Nazis and portraying fictional villains as sympathetic.

jdarksun on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »

Considering this period of Star Wars' close relationship to WWII, it felt kind of spot on? Weren't Japanese fighters (who sided with the Nazis) known to have fought well past the end of the war?

Also, representation shouldn't just mean diversity only goes to the good guys, right?

Last, the Rebel pilot clearly came across as a dick, just hunting this dude for basically sport and he had a disdain for him that came through in just one line. While our protag was just trying to save lives and get people home safe. It's a blurred line of who the good guy and bad guy is in that particular situation.

The Rebel pilot (who isn't a Rebel at all in the time period, he's a New Republic pilot) has disdain for members of the Empire because... they are literally members of the evil Empire. The protagonist was trying to save an Imperial military base still operating post Endor, aka in the wake of Operation Cinder. The only bad thing the X-Wing pilot did was go off as a lone cowboy instead of alerting his squadron to hunt the target.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Are we explaining to somebody how they should feel about representation of their ethnicity in a work of art?

Or is this a discussion between members of the same ethnicity about different angles to take on a work of art in which their ethnicity is appearing?

One of those seems like a big ol’ yikes to me.

sarukun wrote: »
    Are we explaining to somebody how they should feel about representation of their ethnicity in a work of art?

Or is this a discussion between members of the same ethnicity about different angles to take on a work of art in which their ethnicity is appearing?

One of those seems like a big ol’ yikes to me.

Neither?

No one is explaining to people how they should feel. But I also assume we aren't all the same ethnicity.

So its just a discussion about this particular work of art and the representation within it.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Just seems a lot like some Asian dudes saying they were having some feelings and then somebody came along and was like “this seems fine to me!”

But maybe that’s an uncharitable read, and I’ve been wrong before!

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    My opinion of that trailer is: meh.

On a technical level, sure, it was great. Neat camera angles and good framing in big space battles are always great to see. Literally every rendered cinematic trailer (that is to say, an advertisement) for a modern video game is basically great on a technical level. Though I will say it's nice to see a Star Wars space battle I didn't think "ugh, those tactics" in, if only because the battle was over and had degenerated into a brawl by that point.

The story was rote, the dialog was mostly flat, and it probably told us less about how the actual game will play we didn't know than the rendered Star Wars: The Old Republic trailers. At most we learned that TIEs will (probably) have some countermeasures against missiles. And the tactics displayed by our (gag) hero were nearly on par with the Hope trailer for TOR. (Which, for clarity, were bad, and took me entirely out of that very pretty trailer.)

And I call shenanigans on the ending. It's the Empire. No way they're coming back for a single pilot who disobeyed orders and got left behind as a result, never mind soon enough that he doesn't starve to death.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't think it's meant as a trailer showing off gameplay features

Grey Ghost on
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

The boost he did to get to the Destroyer, missile counter measure, and cockpits were all true to gameplay

But yeah, I guarantee we aren't going to be going from Space to Surface and we can't turn off our ship's power to hide and there definitely aint gonna be any water

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

The boost he did to get to the Destroyer, missile counter measure, and cockpits were all true to gameplay

But yeah, I guarantee we aren't going to be going from Space to Surface and we can't turn off our ship's power to hide and there definitely aint gonna be any water

There's water in at least one of the starfighter combat levels in Battlefront II. You aren't going to be making any waves/spray like that, but you can crash on into it.

This discussion has been closed.