As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Get a console once there's games. Right now they haven't even done that.

I'll buy a PS5 once Horizon Forbidden West releases. Not before.

I have a simple rule with buying consoles, I won't pick one up until there's a game that I have to play and is exclusive to it alone.

I require there to be 3-5 games I want on a single console that I can't play elsewhere for me to be willing to pick said console up. It shouldn't be a high bar to clear, and yet . . .

More stuff going multiplatform has significantly dampened the need for a console. It's usually been stuff from studios without a major PC presence but that's a smaller group each year. With Atlus starting to bring stuff to PC that list may now just be Nintendo. Even the first party stuff published by Sony and Microsoft largely failed to excite me much when they were console exclusive.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I have a simple rule with buying consoles, I won't pick one up until there's a game that I have to play and is exclusive to it alone.

I require there to be 3-5 games I want on a single console that I can't play elsewhere for me to be willing to pick said console up. It shouldn't be a high bar to clear, and yet . . .

More stuff going multiplatform has significantly dampened the need for a console. It's usually been stuff from studios without a major PC presence but that's a smaller group each year. With Atlus starting to bring stuff to PC that list may now just be Nintendo. Even the first party stuff published by Sony and Microsoft largely failed to excite me much when they were console exclusive.

I mean, like, the PS4 exists in my home because of Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and the upcoming at that time God of War and Spider-Man. I don't have God of War, but I have the rest, and I've beaten 3 of them, so that's pretty good. I also like the Uncharted series. It's also where we've got all our Kingdom Hearts games collected (well, the ones that matter), and for the moment at least the only place to play Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Because Nintendo games only show up on a Nintendo system, we have a Switch because there were Nintendo games we wanted.

XBox has never had anything I wanted to play, so I've never had an XBox.

Basically, if Playstation had all their properties on the PC, I'd only need a Nintendo system.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'd still have a PlayStation because it can run the new games

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Just got payment confirmation for my Valve Index! I have Beat Saber, HL:A, and The Lab on my list. Anything else I shouldn't miss?

76561197966849367.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Zetx wrote: »
    Just got payment confirmation for my Valve Index! I have Beat Saber, HL:A, and The Lab on my list. Anything else I shouldn't miss?

Grab a month of viveport infinity, there's a bunch of good, but shorter games on it.

I expect you to die, the room, paper beasts, some others in sure I'm forgetting

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular

I enjoy No Mans Sky, it isn’t perfect, but i find it very relaxing.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Grab a month of viveport infinity, there's a bunch of good, but shorter games on it.

I expect you to die, the room, paper beasts, some others in sure I'm forgetting

Ooh. Didn't cross my mind that there'd be a subscription service for VR games, but it makes a lot of sense! Thanks!
    Dixon wrote: »

I enjoy No Mans Sky, it isn’t perfect, but i find it very relaxing.

Oh damn, I totally forgot that has VR! I've been playing off and on so I'm looking forward to seeing this in action. Minecraft too, now that I think about it.

76561197966849367.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So - the nightmare continues. Please let me know if you would like me to move my Dollar Store version of video game characters into the Sims thread - I couldn't immediately find it but I can certainly raise it from the dead.

Here's Ash and sort-of-Pikachu. One thing you should know - the Gallery in the Sims is full of Pikachus. However, the majority of them are cats, which isn't right. Pikachu needs to be built on a dog because I want him to behave like a dog, not a tiny yellow asshole. Second to those are people versions of Pikachu, and I didn't want to go that route. So instead, I created my own dog version of Pikachu - and he's interesting. Ash needs a little tweaking still too - but I think they are good enough for the neighborhood I'm creating which will be basically the Google Play store versions of popular characters.

45xivmjxhsdk.png

pvxrtv7nyobu.png

TIHI

Steam: offday
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I came back from work and there were so many green envelopes. @Orivon is relentless. Some of these were maybe a little too NSFW so I did not include the image of the game. Orivon also gifted me something from my wishlist. Nurses and yuri are a good combination I would say. Thanks a lot. <3<3
    You can stop now though. It is way way way too much already.
    orqltokr5mqg.jpg

Isorn on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Depends on your interests, and what genres, if any, you're completely not interested in.

Aircar is free and I recommend it to everyone.

Google Earth is also free and pretty great.

Space Pirate Trainer (stand-in-place shooter) and SUPERHOT VR (Matrix simulator) are practically VR launch games from 2017, but are still good.

Moss has fairly universal acclaim.

I liked Batman: Arkham VR a lot, although that's definitely not a universal opinion. It's not much as a game, but a pretty great VR experience.

theBlu is a good demo piece, but probably wishlist it and wait for a sale.

Elite Dangerous, probably the most immersive space sim for VR, is $6 at Indiegala for about a week.

I think Titans of Space is worth its $10 asking price.

Other non-VR games with a free VR mode include Prey, Payday 2, the Project CARS games, Assetto Corsa, the Dirt Rally games, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Race the Sun, Redout, Grip, Rise of the Tomb Raider (if you have a certain expansion), Dead Secret, Sublevel Zero, Overload, Everspace, Subnautica (VR is unfinished and super rough), Tabletop Simulator (also rough), DCS, War Thunder, Zone of the Enders, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and Obduction.

EDIT: Skyrim VR is supposed to be a great experience as a non-melee character. $60 seems extremely steep, 2 years after release. Half that at Fanatical right now, can be found for $15 every now and then.

Orogogus on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

I still haven't bought a PS4 or an Xbox One at this point because 98% of what I'm interested in comes to the PC/Steam now. It still kind of boggles my mind that I can play EDF and Oneechanbara on PC.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I’m a pretty die hard Sony guy. I’ve had every Sony console, even the two handhelds. But between the PC and Switch, I’m looking at the PS5 thinking ‘I don’t need to add this to my gaming ecosystem’. I’ve barely touched my PS4 in years, only to play Ghost of Tsushima.

Maybe this will change in a few years. Or maybe I’ve just changed.

-Loki- on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’m a pretty die hard Sony guy. I’ve had every Sony console, even the two handhelds. But between the PC and Switch, I’m looking at the PS5 thinking ‘I don’t need to add this to my gaming ecosystem’. I’ve barely touched my PS4 in years, only to play Ghost of Tsushima.

Maybe this will change in a few years. Or maybe I’ve just changed.

My last console was a PS2. Original form factor.

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Lego Jurassic World off the backlog. My long Lego nightmare is over for now. SUPERHOT in the next couple days for something completely different. 10 games off the backlog since June, and yet I don't feel like I'm making progress.....

camo_sig.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    If I didn't have kids i'd go all out on pc gaming. Having consoles just helps so much with cost and game sharing when you need multiple boxes in the house.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I used to have a PS4, but then we realized if I switched to XBox we could save a bunch of cash because my son and I could share yearly membership and a game library. I miss a few of the games but really as long as I could still have Mortal Kombat and Lego Dimensions I was happy and between Gamepass and what he owned already it was a pretty easy move. We also have 3 Switches though because Animal Crossing exists.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "You can stop now!" says Isorn, bullets spraying from his gun. "It's too much for me!"

The weapon clicks empty and Isorn loads another hundred clip into it. "Please," he says, aiming down the sights and squeezing the trigger again. "We can be at peace!"

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Completed Spiritfarer!

Stardew Valley meets psychopomp, with loads of feels to be had. Heartily recommend it.

Thanks again to @Big Classy for the gift!

I want to say it's impressive to me for Thunder Lotus has made three very different games and done such a solid job with all of them.

Karoz on

I still haven't bought a PS4 or an Xbox One at this point because 98% of what I'm interested in comes to the PC/Steam now. It still kind of boggles my mind that I can play EDF and Oneechanbara on PC.

I really only bought one because my PS3 died right when I started playing Persona 5. At that point I figured I might as well get a PS4 as it was easier than finding a PS3.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

I really only bought one because my PS3 died right when I started playing Persona 5. At that point I figured I might as well get a PS4 as it was easier than finding a PS3.

This has kept me from investing in a PS4 or 5 as of yet: because I'm waiting to see if Atlus will put Persona 5 out on Steam because Persona 4 Golden sold like freaking gangbusters when it launched.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Madican wrote: »
    "You can stop now!" says Isorn, bullets spraying from his gun. "It's too much for me!"

The weapon clicks empty and Isorn loads another hundred clip into it. "Please," he says, aiming down the sights and squeezing the trigger again. "We can be at peace!"

You think it would help if I shot Orivon some more?
    I can't. I am totally screwed. Ammo is gone.

Isorn on
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    @Zetx I have an old post here linked in the OP recommending some good stuff to play in VR. Dated, but still good.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    @Dissociater saw fit to strike from da shadows
    v0sr4sneo1o7.jpg

...lewd! I always like more content and Conan is one of my fav survival games I haven't played in a long time. Thanks!

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    A big thank you to @Stabbity Style for helping me get my sleep in order with a gift of Just Sleep! ❤

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    It's Conan Dongs Expansion Day! Woo! <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Two week wait between Spelunky 2 on PS4 and PC is torture

TORTURE

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

Depends on your interests, and what genres, if any, you're completely not interested in.

Aircar is free and I recommend it to everyone.

Google Earth is also free and pretty great.

Space Pirate Trainer (stand-in-place shooter) and SUPERHOT VR (Matrix simulator) are practically VR launch games from 2017, but are still good.

Moss has fairly universal acclaim.

I liked Batman: Arkham VR a lot, although that's definitely not a universal opinion. It's not much as a game, but a pretty great VR experience.

theBlu is a good demo piece, but probably wishlist it and wait for a sale.

Elite Dangerous, probably the most immersive space sim for VR, is $6 at Indiegala for about a week.

I think Titans of Space is worth its $10 asking price.

Other non-VR games with a free VR mode include Prey, Payday 2, the Project CARS games, Assetto Corsa, the Dirt Rally games, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Race the Sun, Redout, Grip, Rise of the Tomb Raider (if you have a certain expansion), Dead Secret, Sublevel Zero, Overload, Everspace, Subnautica (VR is unfinished and super rough), Tabletop Simulator (also rough), DCS, War Thunder, Zone of the Enders, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and Obduction.

EDIT: Skyrim VR is supposed to be a great experience as a non-melee character. $60 seems extremely steep, 2 years after release. Half that at Fanatical right now, can be found for $15 every now and then.

Sairento is the game that made me realize "oh wow, VR is actually here." Also strongly recommend Blade and Sorcery. Though it was a bit sparse the last time I checked in, it's got a very satisfying gameplay loop.

JaysonFour wrote: »

This has kept me from investing in a PS4 or 5 as of yet: because I'm waiting to see if Atlus will put Persona 5 out on Steam because Persona 4 Golden sold like freaking gangbusters when it launched.

I assume it will eventually but the question is when. Atlus is not as big of a studio as other well known Japanese studios but still takes on a lot of long terms projects as it is.

Steam Profile
    edited September 2020
    A lot of my game tastes run very much into the console exclusives and especially Nintendo properties mainly because for nigh on 20 years of my life, that's all I had to play, and even when I was playing PC games I never exactly had a robust enough system to handle anything even akin to, say, FFVII (the original) when it was first out. I was always about a generation or so back in terms of hardware. So NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, Playstation 2, and Gamecube all came before getting more into PC gaming in around 2013.

So I've gotten rather into a chunk of the Nintendo and Sony only properties. Meanwhile, most of my other third party interests lie with, like, Square Enix, Ubisoft, From Software, etc, are companies largely focused on "console' games, even if they come to PC.

Edit:
    I assume it will eventually but the question is when. Atlus is not as big of a studio as other well known Japanese studios but still takes on a lot of long terms projects as it is.

I thought I'd look after the talk of Atlus, and the only games I've ever owned that was related to Atlus are Odin Sphere and Disgaea DS. At least as far as I can tell.

Kalnaur on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

did they add a slider or something

5gsowHm.png
    Edit:

I thought I'd look after the talk of Atlus, and the only games I've ever owned that was related to Atlus are Odin Sphere and Disgaea DS. At least as far as I can tell.

Atlus has only had three series they developed really take off. Trauma Center didn't last long after the DS and Wii either. Etrian Odyssey was very tied to the dual screen functionality of the DS and 3DS. Shin Megami Tensei is their only real big series though it's expansive just on its own with spinoffs like Persona becoming even a bigger hit than the mainline series (which itself has spinoffs like rhythm and fighting games), a bunch of other spinoff series like Devil Summoner, and some non-RPG spinoffs like Katherine. They did publish a lot of stuff by other studios in the US like Odin Sphere and some NIS titles too. Actually a lot of stuff in the US. It seemed to have been something they tried to diversify into before being acquired by Sega.

Steam Profile
    Edit:

Atlus has only had three series they developed really take off. Trauma Center didn't last long after the DS and Wii either. Etrian Odyssey was very tied to the dual screen functionality of the DS and 3DS. Shin Megami Tensei is their only real big series though it's expansive just on its own with spinoffs like Persona becoming even a bigger hit than the mainline series (which itself has spinoffs like rhythm and fighting games), a bunch of other spinoff series like Devil Summoner, and some non-RPG spinoffs like Katherine. They did publish a lot of stuff by other studios in the US like Odin Sphere and some NIS titles too. Actually a lot of stuff in the US. It seemed to have been something they tried to diversify into before being acquired by Sega.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a single Atlus game, just things published by Atlus USA.

Neither Persona nor SMT interests me, as I'm more of a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy JRPG fan and Persona/SMT at least seems more like it's about chat and story and characters than the battle and questing and exploration systems.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    On the one hand, Etrian Odyssey - one of my all time favorite games - on the PC would be a dream come true.

On the other hand, there already aren't enough hours in the day. :razz:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    So - continuing my neighborhood of ruined games and dreams I've added some new personalities. First is a team of Link and Princess Zelda as loosely inspired by the terrible CDi game. Link is quite the bro - made worse by the game's lack of elf hat options, but a backwards cap seemed pretty on point for him.

Second, I decided Ash and Pikachu needed a bigger household. It didn't seem right for him to just take up a big plot of land by himself, so I added four new entries to his property. I'm sure he'll get along with everyone, right? I may need to rework Mr. Mime's outfit, but I'm thinking the mix of personalities on that lot is going to be a massive clusterfuck.
    iplhvg18iiq1.png

ptvnkao3mpex.png

j3b8l9u194ai.png

ioqty8y4b1ir.png

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    New season update for Fallout 76 today - New set of stuff to earn ranks for. Already got a set of weights to impress astronaut girlfriend with.

tyzoyf2wdjvc.jpg
    "Look, look!"

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    Syngyne wrote: »

did they add a slider or something

I wondered if anyone was going to catch that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited September 2020
    How easy is getting into Conan? I think I tried it briefly on the Xbox when it was free but didn't get far. I wouldn't mind a no monthly fee mmorpg to waste some time and it seems like a good setting for one, but is it pretty user friendly and do you need to play with others to get into it?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So - continuing my neighborhood of ruined games and dreams I've added some new personalities. First is a team of Link and Princess Zelda as loosely inspired by the terrible CDi game. Link is quite the bro - made worse by the game's lack of elf hat options, but a backwards cap seemed pretty on point for him.

Second, I decided Ash and Pikachu needed a bigger household. It didn't seem right for him to just take up a big plot of land by himself, so I added four new entries to his property. I'm sure he'll get along with everyone, right? I may need to rework Mr. Mime's outfit, but I'm thinking the mix of personalities on that lot is going to be a massive clusterfuck.
    iplhvg18iiq1.png

ptvnkao3mpex.png

j3b8l9u194ai.png

ioqty8y4b1ir.png
    *clicks on spoiler*
    Oooh, these are really good. They look really great and making me want to try my hand at this gaaa...
    *sees last image*
    I.... I may never click on a spoiler ever again.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Edit:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a single Atlus game, just things published by Atlus USA.

Neither Persona nor SMT interests me, as I'm more of a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy JRPG fan and Persona/SMT at least seems more like it's about chat and story and characters than the battle and questing and exploration systems.

Persona has been more about characters since 3 just in terms of sheer length but it's also all tied into the the battle and exploration system. Since your main character's abilities in combat are dictated by what persona they have equipped, you need a variety to cover all the bases in terms of elemental weaknesses, defenses, and healing, and how strong your relationships are influences how strong a corresponding type of persona comes out when you fuse it from two other personas you have, it's all for a purpose. You social interactions just take the place of most of the quests in other RPGs. A lot is going on in terms of game mechanics, it's just that there's a ton of story and writing to go along with constantly upgrading your stats and skills via sacrificial pokemon collecting and constantly swapping between them in combat so you don't get wrecked from elemental weaknesses and strengths.

Mainline SMT games are more traditional JRPGs but with the sacrificial pokemon stuff still in play. It's not as talked about much though because it lacks much in the way of memorable characters as not so many humans are around after multiple apocalypses, a good chunk of those significant characters end up morphing into demonic/angelic personifications of their philosophy, and your party members are mostly sacrificial pokemon you'll replace frequently instead of npcs. Atlus also seems to really want to change things up between games so it takes a while between entries. There was about a 10 year gap between SMT 2 and 3 and another 10 year gap between 3 and 4. They're also notably more challenging than most JRPGs with SMT3 Nocturne being a standout for the number of times people trying hard difficulty have gotten game overs during the first tutorial fight. Even on normal difficulties not preparing well and bringing a party makeup against a boss that can hit their weak elements is going to be a bad time. Since they get to deal with a world that is so weird and a mix of modern/near future architecture and cosmic forces with no concern for physics running rampant though it does tend to have very distinct environments.

Steam Profile
    How easy is getting into Conan? I think I tried it briefly on the Xbox when it was free but didn't get far. I wouldn't mind a no monthly fee mmorpg to waste some time and it seems like a good setting for one, but is it pretty user friendly and do you need to play with others to get into it?

I may be biased after almost 700 hours, but I think it's super easy to get into.

I don't play with other people generally. Typically I play offline, but sometimes my kids and I will rent a private server for a while, then it's just the 3 of us.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.