As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium - Game 6: Round 9 - Game Over!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Trade with me!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    ah.

Trade commodities with Nekro?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    Agreed

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
  • Options
    Everybody's happy!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Give Creuss 1TG for voting in my favor that one time several months ago.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Play Technology.
    Exhaust New Albion, Starpoint and Drua
    Get Infantry II and Hyper Metabolism

@discrider @A Half Eaten Oreo @MrBody @Ketar @Phyphor to play on secondary:
    Secondary Ability: Spend 1 token from your strategy pool and 4 resources to research 1 technology.

Jol-Nar if Lightwave deflector will help you extend the game length then go for it.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    @38thDoe It will only help a little bit. Right now I could park my ships next to their home system with Lightwave, but they will then promptly be crushed because they don't need their ships anywhere else. I can't unilaterally do anything, it can only work with pressure being applied to MR or elsewhere by someone else as well. So I can research Lightwave, or we can look at something else if you would prefer.

Either way, would you be willing to trade 4 TG for my 4 commodities? I'm going to need the TG to be able to do anything meaningful without also leaving my home system wide open for Nekro to eventually hit.

Ketar on
  • Options
    You and Nekro are the only ones with the capacity for that right now I think. So I'd rather not finance you guys to battle. Which isn't to say I wouldn't trade with you.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    You actually have more substantial forces than I do thanks to your sheer number of fighters, especially with them being hybrid crystal fighter IIs. Nekro isn't going to help and has been open about that for several rounds.

If I can't get my commodities exchanged with someone, then I can't build ships and research a second tech here. I'm going to need additional tech if I'm supposed to actually threaten Sol. I'm going to need ships in my home system if Nekro keeps moving toward me as expected. If I can't defend my home system, I'll need to pull all of my ships back to do so instead.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Play
    Exhaust Jord
    research Fighter II
    2/2/3

• Options
    Goddamn crystal fighters II and infantry II. I want those so badly

• Options
    Ketar wrote: Β»
    You actually have more substantial forces than I do thanks to your sheer number of fighters, especially with them being hybrid crystal fighter IIs. Nekro isn't going to help and has been open about that for several rounds.

If I can't get my commodities exchanged with someone, then I can't build ships and research a second tech here. I'm going to need additional tech if I'm supposed to actually threaten Sol. I'm going to need ships in my home system if Nekro keeps moving toward me as expected. If I can't defend my home system, I'll need to pull all of my ships back to do so instead.

I didn't say I would trade.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Ok.

Propose trade of 4 commodities to Naalu for 4 TG.

• Options
    So do you think Lightspeed is the best bet? I guess my main concern is getting 2 of a color so that's either a blue or a yellow.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I think X-89 is the best bet, and after that probably war suns. But when looking at blue or yellow, lightspeed deflector is the best option. Nothing in yellow will help in any meaningful way.

• Options
    If its X-89 can you swing the bombardment? I don't have dreads.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    If its X-89 can you swing the bombardment? I don't have dreads.

Yeah, I've been hoping you would build something that could bombard :?

If I research both X-89 and Lightspeed Deflector I could get a single dread to the Sol home system. So one die needing a 6 or better with Jolnar combat deficiencies. Not the worst odds, but not great either. I can bring more firepower to bear against MR, but that of course comes with me taking MR, so... It would at least slow Sol down, I guess.

• Options
    Upon further review, bombardment is not a combat roll so I would get a single die needing a 5 or better to try to wipe the Sol home world.

• Options
    But you can't get there this round.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Yeah I can. A dread from Lor or Tar'mann can go through the alpha wormhole and make it there with the +1 movement from Gravity Drive, as long as I have Light/Wave to pass through the ships in between.

• Options
    This X-89 research sounds cool. Can I get in on it?

• Options
    Sure, you just need to swap races with Phyphor and then steal it, or steal my racial promissory from 38thDoe.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    How cool would it be if my racial note wasn't "just disable your only possible advantage, for a huge amount of time" and was something like "use this to gain one non-racial technology after destroying a ship in combat; return to the nekro player"

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: Β»
    How cool would it be if my racial note wasn't "just disable your only possible advantage, for a huge amount of time" and was something like "use this to gain one non-racial technology after destroying a ship in combat; return to the nekro player"

Yeah, I don't understand the balance on notes. I don't think they even tried.
    Its basically My promissory note kills me - nekro, arborec, etc
    My promisory note steals from me - barony, sol, lizic, etc
    My promisory note has not downside and is absurdly awesome! - Jol-Nar, Naalu, hacan
    Yeah I can. A dread from Lor or Tar'mann can go through the alpha wormhole and make it there with the +1 movement from Gravity Drive, as long as I have Light/Wave to pass through the ships in between.

But then you wouldn't have bacteria.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited September 2020
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Phyphor wrote: Β»

Yeah, I don't understand the balance on notes. I don't think they even tried.
    Its basically My promissory note kills me - nekro, arborec, etc
    My promisory note steals from me - barony, sol, lizic, etc
    My promisory note has not downside and is absurdly awesome! - Jol-Nar, Naalu, hacan

But then you wouldn't have bacteria.

Ooh, I think you're right. I can't skip a prereq twice in one round. Urgh.

edit: Actually, no it looks like I can. I should be able to spend 6 TG to research both.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Fun fact, the letnev note has been updated to not only have no cost but a vastly better effect. The lizix note also has no cost anymore and is a strict gain. Arborec has been updated to be a much weaker penalty and one-use

Winnu has also been changed to be just an advantage too vs a strict disadvantage

Sol's cost is thematic since it's just sol doing an orbital drop for you I guess

The only remaining racial promissories that are "just fuck yourself over" seem to be nekro and mentak

• Options
    Can I please have X89?
    I'm not sure why you'd be researching it and giving it to Mr Fighters

• Options
    Can I please have X89?

I believe Mr Fighters would be taking the Light/Wave Deflector and not X-89.

And the only reason I would research X-89 this round would be the hail mary shot at slowing Sol down. I have other techs I'd rather research.

• Options
    Can I please have X89?

And the only reason I would research X-89 this round would be the hail mary shot at slowing Sol down. I have other techs I'd rather research.

I'm just not seeing why this needs to happen this turn.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Can I please have X89?

I'm just not seeing why this needs to happen this turn.

After all this discussion I don't think Jord will be sitting defenseless any longer, so next round won't be an option without a fleet larger than I can assemble and move there. And I thought Naalu would start putting something together that would be capable, but they built a couple more fighters.

But, I'm cool with not doing it. I have more appealing uses for the 6 TG, be it ships or more immediately useful tech.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Play
    Exhaust Meer, Zohbat and Thibah and research Duranium Armour
    3/4/2

• Options
    Also just noticed X89 no longer makes you ditch your ACs.
    What brave new world is this?

• Options
    With the tradeoff that it's not automatic anymore. You have to inflict a casualty with regular bombardment first.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Creuss and Nekro are out of Strategy Pool counters so it's down to @Ketar to make a decision on the Technology secondary, then @38thDoe to make a decision about Jol-Nar's racial promissory note.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I'm still waiting to hear back from 38thDoe.

• Options
    If lightspeed can help you do something about Sol then get that. If not then get whatever you want since they are way ahead and no one wants to stop them.
    Not sure why you have to single me out as not doing enough about Sol, seems like the five of us are equally crap at it.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I put a warp point down.
    I'm not sure what else was necessary.

• Options
    I don't know what that means!

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    (I put the warp point next to the Sol homeworld on the map so clearly I did all that I could)