As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I killed Queelaag! Not too bad though I did summon. Thanks to the actual player I summoned who basically just ended up as bait for the other antagonistic player who tried to kill me.

I summoned Maneater Mildred and used the Flash Sweat Pyromancy, which was SUPER helpful.

Now those gates are open and I'm wondering exactly how I'm going to get there, though...

Back to Firelink, elevator up to the church you fought Gargoyles, bonfire room above the blacksmith in the tower outside, doorway leads straight to Sens Funhouse

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm trying really hard now to convince my friend that Souls games are worth playing more than once, and are in fact better on replay, to get him to go through DS2: SotFS with me. He's the sort of player who goes sword and board and never touches anything else, beats the game once, and is done.

But he never touched SotFS or any of the DLC for 2, which seems like a real waste even if he's never going to be enticed by an UGS playthrough?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Try to get him to power stance clubs/maces

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I prefer sword and board in most games but you're not living life unless you play DS with a big ass two hander at least once.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I gotta go back the way I came in Blighttown, right?

I wandered around the Demon Ruins a bit and got Ceaseless Discharge to half health before dying. That boss doesn't seem too bad, really.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I wandered around the Demon Ruins a bit and got Ceaseless Discharge to half health before dying. That boss doesn't seem too bad, really.
    Was the way you came from New Londo and the Valley of the Drakes? If so, then yes.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Was the way you came from New Londo and the Valley of the Drakes? If so, then yes.

Yeah, that's the route I took!

Sen's Fortress is fucked up, y'all

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

wait till you get blown up by a giant hurling a boulder-sized cannonball

Productive night!
    * Got Rank 1 in Darkmoon and Gravelord for their Miracles after farming the last of their Covenant items
    * Killed Gwyndolin
    * Completed Big Hat's questline and got his Sorcery + gear
    * Farmed enough Sunlight Medals to instantly hit Rank 1 in NG+ where I'll be trading Gwyn's soul for the last Miracle
    * Got the quest from Quelana to go kill Bed of Chaos so I'll be doing that tomorrow but not before I finish Sieg's questline in Lost Izalith

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I will be honest. I love playing these games, but I absolutely do not have the patience to do the questlines. All of that hoop jumping is just not my thing

Fencingsax wrote: »
    I will be honest. I love playing these games, but I absolutely do not have the patience to do the questlines. All of that hoop jumping is just not my thing

For most of them it's just meeting them at a certain place, helping them out with something or buying out their inventory (for merchants), then they move on to the next area/go hollow. The only really involved one is Sieg's quest, since it's easy to flub the last part which loses out on a free Titanite Slab.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You could try to do all of them but it isn't really necessary unless you want the achievements
    I am not sure how to explain it but there is this concept of realizing the impermanence of things in life

Peas on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I like to do as many side quests as possible because it feels bad to leave them hanging.

Usually gotta look some stuff up in a guide but it’s worth it to me. Not just for items but because of the nuggets of story they impart.

Unfortunately in my DS2 game the Pate/Creighton fight bugged out and they didn’t appear in the room despite having met up with both at all their previous locations. But they’re both jerks so it’s fine.

Peas wrote: »
    You could try to do all of them but it isn't really necessary unless you want the achievements
    I am not sure how to explain it but there is this concept of realizing the impermanence of things in life

Oi. First sentence was fine, but do not patronize me with the second. I am not a child.

edited September 2020
    Oh I didn't meant to offend you, it's a japanese concept called Mono no aware
    I am bad at explaining so it's better to google it or have someone better talk about it'

You can find elements of it in their art

Peas on
    Sen's Fortress is fucked and I kinda love it

Blighttown is definitely the 'real' introduction to Dark Souls as I have come to know it, but man, Sen's is awful and great.

Those fucking pendulums, I swear to god

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sen's fortress is like, Dark Souls really embracing it's trap bullshit side, and I love it

There have been a lot of deaths for me where I just go "Alright you motherfuckers, you got me."

There have been a lot of deaths for me where I just go "Alright you motherfuckers, you got me."

If you want some extra fun, put on the Rusted Iron Ring and make your way down to the very bottom. There's some Very Fun Things down there.

Madican wrote: »

If you want some extra fun, put on the Rusted Iron Ring and make your way down to the very bottom. There's some Very Fun Things down there.

Oh I have seen those things.

... I kinda want to take ‘em out, but also I gotta get back to the asylum. How bad is the boss there?

... I kinda want to take ‘em out, but also I gotta get back to the asylum. How bad is the boss there?

Depends on your build.
    He is identical to the Asylum Demon you fought way back in the beginning, but his moves now come with magic explosions. Stabbing his butt is still the preferred method of dealing with him, just watch out for when he two-hands the club and stabs it into the ground because the red sphere will reach you if you're near him. All I did in my current run was hit him in the butt, wait for him to two-hand the weapon, back up enough to be out of range, soon as it's clear run back in and hit him in the butt again. If you get the timing down he'll keep cycling that move. If he ever gets you in front of him though, do not try to run away otherwise the magic will annihilate you. Just get back behind him.

edited September 2020
    Fun thing(?) about the Asylum boss...
    It can be the first boss you fight in the game, because with a bit of finagling you can jump up to the upper section of Firelink without needing the elevator shortcut.

Then you can bleed the boss out with a bandit's knife or reinforced club or whatever, because it's quite susceptible to bleed and that's a % damage proc.

Kamar on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Depends on your build.
    He is identical to the Asylum Demon you fought way back in the beginning, but his moves now come with magic explosions. Stabbing his butt is still the preferred method of dealing with him, just watch out for when he two-hands the club and stabs it into the ground because the red sphere will reach you if you're near him. All I did in my current run was hit him in the butt, wait for him to two-hand the weapon, back up enough to be out of range, soon as it's clear run back in and hit him in the butt again. If you get the timing down he'll keep cycling that move. If he ever gets you in front of him though, do not try to run away otherwise the magic will annihilate you. Just get back behind him.
    He's also got that staff sweep magic blast that seems a lot harder to dodge than the staff blast one. I think maybe at some ranges with that attack, you want to run away from him instead of running toward him? Ultimately I'm not sure, I figured out how to get him stuck in the previously described AI loop before I figured out how to dodge it.

cB557 wrote: »

Depends on your build.
    He's also got that staff sweep magic blast that seems a lot harder to dodge than the staff blast one. I think maybe at some ranges with that attack, you want to run away from him instead of running toward him? Ultimately I'm not sure, I figured out how to get him stuck in the previously described AI loop before I figured out how to dodge it.
    Yeah that sweep is super deadly and its range is basically focused on you as far as I know. On my previous run I died twice to it because I just dropped down at start and before I could sprint behind boss he blasted me across the room, tried to heal up and run back, and he just kept blasting me until death with the sweep. Like a minefield more than anything.

Killed the Stray Demon. Died about... 8 or 9 times? The key was mostly to, uh, be fast.

I continue to hate Tomb of Giants but whatever it's done, plundered, and conquered entirely now. Oh, and in regards to Reah.
    Turns out it's A-OK to murder Petrus when he reappears in Firelink after they all depart, before ever going to Tomb of Giants and releasing Reah. She didn't even so much as remark on the fact I slaughtered him. She just thanked me with a Miracle, returned to Undead Parish, and I bought out all her Miracles to send her on her merry way to the Duke's Archives where I will probably go kill her Hollow eventually on my quest for a Channeler Trident because this stupid Knight's Honor achievement demands one.

All that's left for me to do now is Lost Izalith stuff, pick up the last Pyromancy from Quelana after killing the boss, then picking up as many of the weapons for the achievement as possible before entering endgame.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    my only issue with Sen's Fortress is how they change the boulder path automatically. It's a cheap shot, the more because a) it doesn't always happen and b) there's nobody to turn the mechanism.

beyond that it's not terribly frustrating once you've done it a couple of times.

Tomb of the Giants can die in a fire, though, I loathe that place.

current status:
    - NG+
    - - generally annoyed at how NG+ apparently doubles enemy health and damage output
    - Nito, Bed of Chaos, and Seath are dead
    - irritated at Four Kings. Doubly so because it was trivial on NG, but now I can't kill 'em fast enough.

Tamin on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Yo that Demon Souls Remake looking F-I-N-E

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ng+ is annoying since it increases enemy damage and health but it's pretty likely that you hit a wall with your damage output by the end of your first playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUtTPRuGak&feature=emb_title

So with Demon's Souls remake coming to PC as well we can add another to our replay list.

Or firstplay in my case since I never had a PS3.

Something about the camera is bugging me but otherwise it looks neat.

I am bummed about not having any Elden Ring news but I've never actually finished Demon's Soul so that's something for the year at the very least
    It looks good if anything

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    elden ring is coming out right after the next SOIAF book

Nevermind! Sony says someone fucked up and Demon's Souls is not coming to PC.

https://kotaku.com/demons-souls-remake-also-coming-to-pc-timed-exclusive-1845082896

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Nevermind! Sony says someone fucked up and Demon's Souls is not coming to PC.

https://kotaku.com/demons-souls-remake-also-coming-to-pc-timed-exclusive-1845082896

BOOO

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    What are the odds that Elden Ring just doesn’t exist?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    What are the odds that Elden Ring just doesn’t exist?

It certainly feels weird that they've been as silent as they have been, right?

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Elden Ring will be ready just after Martin finishes Winds of Winter.