As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games are RADch

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Penguin, I'm sure you noticed, but I was pretty shitfaced last night and barely remember any of that past the Roy nearly drowning bit. Except for the constant missing, that I can't forget lol 😂

I did have a lot of fun though! You're a good DM and TI is a rad setting and I'm enjoying getting to explore!

Ha! Do you have any recollection of nerding out at me about Spelljammers after the session was done?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I just finished a real successful PbP on here called Temple of Yonth.

In the end it wasn’t a temple, it was the crashed Spelljammer itself!

It was quite a lethal game, but I began with ten players. They all started at different points and crossed paths and changed parties as they fell down pits and hopped through portals. It was tough to run but I think I pulled it off!

In the end they defeated the mindflayer (as 1st and 2nd level characters!) that was after the helm that controlled the ship, and one of the heroes by the name of Roy became the new captain.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Penguin, I'm sure you noticed, but I was pretty shitfaced last night and barely remember any of that past the Roy nearly drowning bit. Except for the constant missing, that I can't forget lol 😂

I did have a lot of fun though! You're a good DM and TI is a rad setting and I'm enjoying getting to explore!

Ha! Do you have any recollection of nerding out at me about Spelljammers after the session was done?

I remember sticking around after the session to chat, but not the specifics or with whom. It doesn't surprise me though, I fuckin love me some Spelljammer 😂

JtgVX0H.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    built a Vampire the Masquerade V5 Kiasyd character for shits and giggles using Cavegirl's Homebrew bloodline

his name is Eugene Fairweather, Bibliopole and Antiquarian, who saw where the wind was blowing after the Lasombra quit the Sabbat and decided to move to the Camarilla as well. Since the Kisayd are only nominally Lasombra (and since Marconius, the bloodline's progenitor, has technically been with the Camarilla for a few centuries now) they let him in without the usual "sacrifice an elder" stipulation, but with the requirement that he uses his resources and haven to host and take part in the player group's coterie. The concept of the character is that, unlike the other players, he is starting the game as an Ancilla with bonus xp, flaws, merits etc., but this is offset by him essentially being an undead, blood drinking version of Niles Crane from the hit tv show Frasier who also happens to be a seven foot tall grey alien looking motherfucker that freaks out when he sees four leaf clovers and gets first degree burns from cold iron

his haven is a gothic townhouse that's both creepy and haunted

anyway who wants to play a VtM fifth edition game with me

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    37ffafa10758017d4421e55f5cc2020f.jpg

!

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • CalciumtriceCalciumtrice Registered User regular
    1gqbhzljev68.png

I drew some giant acidic rock snails for my Dungeon World campaign.

The party (well, about half of them) were left stuck underground at the end of last session so I thought these large lads would be fun to tangle with.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    built a Vampire the Masquerade V5 Kiasyd character for shits and giggles using Cavegirl's Homebrew bloodline

his name is Eugene Fairweather, Bibliopole and Antiquarian, who saw where the wind was blowing after the Lasombra quit the Sabbat and decided to move to the Camarilla as well. Since the Kisayd are only nominally Lasombra (and since Marconius, the bloodline's progenitor, has technically been with the Camarilla for a few centuries now) they let him in without the usual "sacrifice an elder" stipulation, but with the requirement that he uses his resources and haven to host and take part in the player group's coterie. The concept of the character is that, unlike the other players, he is starting the game as an Ancilla with bonus xp, flaws, merits etc., but this is offset by him essentially being an undead, blood drinking version of Niles Crane from the hit tv show Frasier who also happens to be a seven foot tall grey alien looking motherfucker that freaks out when he sees four leaf clovers and gets first degree burns from cold iron

his haven is a gothic townhouse that's both creepy and haunted

anyway who wants to play a VtM fifth edition game with me

Oh sign me the fuck up.

Also the Lasombra are Cammie now?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited September 2020
    yeah! and so are the Assamite's (they're called Banu Haqim now)

both Gangrel and Brujah are OUT though, full on joined the Anarchs

and who went into the Sabbat to fill in the blank slot? the fucking children of Set

only independents of note now are the Giovanni, even though they all fused with the Cappadocians and other weird offshoots to create a giant necromantic hybrid clan

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited September 2020
    I really want to make a miniature ‘cultural event’ like the game/thing that is Blaseball.

I’m thinking of making a bunch of silly wrestlers, and posters can vote to see who wins each match. Winners get a stat boost. A match itself would just be a kinda bullshit couple of dice rolls.

Between matches I think people would vote on what kind of match is next, and generally mess with the odds.

Maybe have an interview occasionally with questions from the posters.

Once every wrestler has had a match, there’d be a straight tournament to determine the final victor.

Not sure yet how to set it up. Thoughts!

Edit: I do know there will be the following:
    - Diva Majestic.
    - The High Flying Death-Mask.
    - Chip Nastiness.
    - Supersonic Edge.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I really want to make a miniature ‘cultural event’ like the game/thing that is Blaseball.

I’m thinking of making a bunch of silly wrestlers, and posters can vote to see who wins each match. Winners get a stat boost. A match itself would just be a kinda bullshit couple of dice rolls.

Between matches I think people would vote on what kind of match is next, and generally mess with the odds.

Maybe have an interview occasionally with questions from the posters.

Once every wrestler has had a match, there’d be a straight tournament to determine the final victor.

Not sure yet how to set it up. Thoughts!

Edit: I do know there will be the following:
    - Diva Majestic.
    - The High Flying Death-Mask.
    - Chip Nastiness.
    - Supersonic Edge.

I feel like a decent amount of how Blaseball functions is the sheer amount of high level variance plus the hidden info/unknowns players can't interact with. Which might take away from making it function as a forum game/TTRPG.

Yeah, that post is as far as I’ve got with it.

It doesn’t have to be perfect, just work as a one off thing.

Yeah, that post is as far as I’ve got with it.

It doesn’t have to be perfect, just work as a one off thing.

My further thoughts would probably be to go from wrestling to something with a broader field like racing (foot/parkour through fantastical terrain or just cars/vehicles).

Allows for more variables in the results and for more 'stuff' to happen in a given event.

Probably do it something like 7-10 legs/rolls. Higher roll means you overtake, any left over can then be used to overtake again. Add complexity from there.

Then again this mostly comes from the fact that I've being trying to think how to structure a sci-fi racer RPG ala Red Line/Wipe out for fucking forever.

edited September 2020
    Man I love that as an idea. I’ve never tackled it creatively but I’d play a Red Line game any time.

I disagree that wrestling doesn’t have enough stuff though. It’s fighting with cheesy melodrama in the ring and out.

Tag team bouts. Heel turns. Costume/name changes. Cage matches. Whatever storyline you want (especially as I’m thinking of going gonzo and assuming magic, cyborgs, super powers etc. are real).

The actual fights could just be stat + stat + 2d6 + participants’ votes for each wrestler. Different matches use different stats. Just a quick roll with some variables thrown in. After that it’d just be a short summary narration from me.

It’s not like I’m trying to make a full system. This’d just be for fun.

Edit: I think the way more important thing would be getting folks to participate. Not they need to do much, they’re just casting votes.

I’m imagining events between matches could be like:

Sudden Death
    The fans must select two wrestlers to take part in a surprise match. The loser will leave AWE… forever!
    —The two highest voted wrestlers will take to the ring!

Spa Day
    The fans will select three wrestlers to have a relaxing and invigorating spa day together.
    —The three highest voted wrestlers will get pampered.

Rookie Debut
    Three new wrestlers emerge with the hope of joining AWE!
    —The highest voted wrestler will join AWE.

Edit 2: I’m calling it Absolute Wrestling Eternal I think.

Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Endless' Temple of Yonth Play-by-Post was a great experience, first D&D I've played in years and now I'm *fascinated* by the game again. I've been binge reading the 5e DM manual non-stop since, because I've been inspired to start working on my own adventure that I hope to run over in Critical Failures eventually:

0cty5nvmjy1w.png

Fifteen pages of notes and outlines so far, entire seaside town of Far Aeston fully fleshed out, and three *straight days* of not going to bed doing my usual mind-looping about 2020. So, any notes? Interest? Looking to provide the full corsair experience here

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    That looks dope!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Endless' Temple of Yonth Play-by-Post was a great experience, first D&D I've played in years and now I'm *fascinated* by the game again. I've been binge reading the 5e DM manual non-stop since, because I've been inspired to start working on my own adventure that I hope to run over in Critical Failures eventually:

0cty5nvmjy1w.png

Fifteen pages of notes and outlines so far, entire seaside town of Far Aeston fully fleshed out, and three *straight days* of not going to bed doing my usual mind-looping about 2020. So, any notes? Interest? Looking to provide the full corsair experience here

I am totally down for anotehr game to play in, especailly if you let me pull out play my Sunbones, SKELETON CLERIC concept.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    I have lurked here for awhile since the thread title changed, but I don't see any reference to it. Does this mean there isn't a TTRPG based on the Ancillary novel series in the offing?

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    edit-this wasn't a question about my thing

mrpaku on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Phant wrote: »
    I have lurked here for awhile since the thread title changed, but I don't see any reference to it. Does this mean there isn't a TTRPG based on the Ancillary novel series in the offing?

I don't remember what inspired the title change, but there's not currently a bespoke system for the Imperial Radch series. That said, if you're looking to run a game I could recommend some systems to look at. I'm a big fan of the novels.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Has anyone checked out the new Icewind Dale Adventure? I'm tempted to pick it up, though will readily admit I have no plans to currently run it.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So the bad guys have magic that removes people's memories of interacting with them and also makes the people kill themselves if they do remember and we have no way to handle this and it keeps spreading to more and more people.

So cool guess everyone's just gonna die this is fun.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oooh man my I found out why my brother was super salty about Paradox in Mage: The Ascension.

He, for whatever reason, thought that a backlash only dropped 'Dox equal one half of the levels of bashing damage rather than one per.

He'd been constantly sitting on like, 6-8 'Dox perpetually and was all "so this system is about NEVER doing magic because if you get ANY Paradox you can never effectively drop it before you backlash again"

Edit: of course, this has lead to some INCREDIBLE Paradox flaws. For instance, he, our Mind mage, is now COMPLETELY CONVINCED that his magic ALWAYS works all the time.

MechMantis on
    Three hours of us failing to accomplish anything.

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Edit: of course, this has lead to some INCREDIBLE Paradox flaws. For instance, he, our Mind mage, is now COMPLETELY CONVINCED that his magic ALWAYS works all the time.

@Anzekay dont get any ideas.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    In the game I'm running rather than playing, our Mind mage botched a second Arete check after getting some successes to bypass a ward that gave the feeling of "you don't want to go through that door whatever is through it is awful"

Five successes on the six-die backlash.

Their flaw was (because they already had barely enough successes prior to the botch to get around it but wanted duration) "You want to go through ALL the doors because they ALL have WONDERFUL things behind them!!"

MechMantis on
    Aistan wrote: »
    So the bad guys have magic that removes people's memories of interacting with them and also makes the people kill themselves if they do remember and we have no way to handle this and it keeps spreading to more and more people.

Could physically restrain the infected?

Or some kind of anti magic zone or link severance?

Not 100% sure what the solution would be in 5e but presuming the GM wants this to be a weird, existential horror ass curse that it sounds like then letting people be 'safe' for a bit before dying when someone lets their guard down and the restraints fail seems in tone and a good way to let information leak.

Also I am designing a shadowrun:
    Run 2:

Client: A proper Mr Johnson who doesn’t want to be known by name. A skinny human male in a suit that makes him stand out in Coatzacoalcos. He meets you in the backroom of a Sushi restaurant.

Job: The Rainbow Gallant was a large cruise ship built during some peak rainbow capitalism. Thirty years later it’s now old but retrofitted and functions as a tax evasion site.

The job is to get to the black box detached from the matrix and smuggle that data out of the ship by whatever means necessary.

The job pays 30,000NY per runner

They can get you a subsidized booking to be on board for 5,000NY per runner.

They can also ensure a ‘distraction’ keeps the ship in the gulf of Mexico for a few days extra rather than the Carribean Sea where locals are less friendly to Coatzacoalcos runners for a flat 50,000NY taken out the fee. (This ensures get aways only have to think about the actual ship’s security)

The Site: The Rainbow Gallant is a cruise ship containing 7 different decks.

Deck 1 is the open air deck, featuring a pool, bar and several game areas and open spaces you can rent out to have temporary meeting areas erected in calm weather.

Deck 2 and 3 are both entertainment and dining. Less popular now most people are tax evaders rather than vacationers. It still sees decent traffic and various criminal and corporate interests hold stores and accommodate dealings.

Deck 4 through 6 are the accommodation decks. Mostly small, shite cabins no one would actually want to live in for the 50KNY they charge a month with some more luxurious blocks made up of both intentional design and knocked down walls.

People are territorial over their more established and longer term rental units.

Deck 7 is the engine and crew quarters. Insufferably hot, the blackbox is locked away apparently in a genuine old ass three key release vault and only updated once a month while in a safe port.

One key is known to reside on captain Chen (a chinese woman stern enough to keep this running) at all times.

The others tend to be given to the largest ‘investors’ in this shitty crime scheme of a given quarter that still lives on the ship. Given they don’t post financials you’ll have to figure out who these people are on site.

Host on site: A:11 S:9 D:12 F:10

Is my current notes. What I need from you folks are two suggestions:

1) Some names and pitches for stuff.

a) What's the name for a trog (orc/troll) focused security outfit that has it's corporate HQ in the Black Forest of Germany? Whose their captain on board?

b) One of the big investor keys is in the hands of a decker who operates out of the ship all year around. Who are they and what muscle do they use to protect their expensive rig and hold their key?

c) The other big investor key is held by a large triad. They practically own half of deck 5 and have knocked over several walls to form a mini fiefdom of smuggling, storage rooms, guards and members of the triad that need to lay low hang out here. Who are they? Who is their boss? And who is the other large gang wanting to take the top spot on board?

d) Give me your single dumbest, most annoying name, persona and affect for a British Rocker Orc: Dudes probably in his 30's (old for an orc) and has shitty, petty warrants in 20 countries and 13 different extraterritorial corporations. So he's slumming it on board.

2) The gang (with the exception of the disabled Rigger hanging back on the crews fishing boat with drone support) got onto the ship by pretending to be security guards that will be protecting 1d orc rocker dude.

What trouble and petty grievances does this man need security for and how will pretending to uphold that compromise the heist?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Phant wrote: »

I don't remember what inspired the title change, but there's not currently a bespoke system for the Imperial Radch series. That said, if you're looking to run a game I could recommend some systems to look at. I'm a big fan of the novels.

The title used to be "Tabletop Games Are Rad" and then someone mentioned the Imperial Radch trilogy, which I love, so the title was changed to reflect my love of those books. Sorry if I got your hopes up, that does sound really fuckin cool though.

JtgVX0H.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    never die wrote: »
    Has anyone checked out the new Icewind Dale Adventure? I'm tempted to pick it up, though will readily admit I have no plans to currently run it.

My groups picked it up (we share a DnDBeyond account....or rather, they pay equal shares me to access to my content) and one of my players is SUPER excited to run it himself. So, while I haven't seen it, that only because its so good I'm not "allowed" to see it. I'm not sure that's helpful to you though. :)

Steelhawk on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Kincaid wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »

@Anzekay dont get any ideas.

brb making notes....

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mage though

I may or may not have let the team set up themselves a little hideout complete with a Hallow, and put some wards up and generally make it nice and cute. All the while I promised that I wasn't going to do anything there yet, just wanted to let them get set up for the future.

Then last session they got attacked in the middle of the night and kicked out of their place by a team of extremely formidable mages......

Aistan wrote: »

Could physically restrain the infected?

Or some kind of anti magic zone or link severance?

Not 100% sure what the solution would be in 5e but presuming the GM wants this to be a weird, existential horror ass curse that it sounds like then letting people be 'safe' for a bit before dying when someone lets their guard down and the restraints fail seems in tone and a good way to let information leak.

Pathfinder 2.

Right now we're still in confirmation mode. We don't know how this is happening or who has been affected. We're pretty sure that the "oracle and seer" running this bathhouse in the middle of nowhere are the culprits, but they've been here the entire time we've been hunting them and the last thing we did before the session ended was I tried to Sending my daughter who is a fire fighter to get some outside help and the response was who is this what are you talking about. So I guess now we have to deal with people forgetting us as well, and they can be affected at range.

The two are hiding in a pocket dimension thing in this building and both of my dispel magics failed their counteract checks. We only found the pocket dimension because I rolled a 20 arcana after three hours of failing to discover anything. So we can't do anything to get to them, we can't get any outside help because people are just forgetting us, and even if we are able to confront them my assumption is they'll fuck us up because of what they have been able to accomplish from a distance.

The literal only plan we have for next session is to sit in a room staring at a magic dot on a wall and waiting for them to come out when they get hungry. Hope these master magicians don't know the level 1 spell create water and the level 2 spell create food. Or have any ability to travel extradimensionally.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

My groups picked it up (we share a DnDBeyond account....or rather, they pay equal shares me to access to my content) and one of my players is SUPER excited to run it himself. So, while I haven't seen it, that only because its so good I'm not "allowed" to see it. I'm not sure that's helpful to you though. :)

One of the folks in my group is going to run it later this year. For his bday the entire group chipped in and got him the beadle and grim(?) package that has all kinds of awesome stuff in it. He’s been reading the pdf and I think all the physical stuff is due in November. Just in time for Tasha’s to be released!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Get in, losers, we're doing Ninjago roleplaying.
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/campaigns/kids/ninjago/choose-the-path

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I want to run a super hero RPG. Whats out there? I've been hearing good things about the Spectaculars.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I want to run a super hero RPG. Whats out there? I've been hearing good things about the Spectaculars.

I'm very fond of Masks, a PbtA game about playing teen heroes and making mistakes and friends

I have a longstanding fondness for Mutants and Masterminds if you want something more fiddly and heavily based around the customization of superpowers

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Masks is the one that strongly features the legacy thing, right? Where like you are a Nightwing-esque character to some Batman-esque character, right?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Masks is the one that strongly features the legacy thing, right? Where like you are a Nightwing-esque character to some Batman-esque character, right?

That is one of the playbooks, yeah.

The big thing with Masks is that it doesn't really care about your superpowers, for the most part. It's assumed that your character has superpowers that will be useful in fighting crime, but it isn't like you have a +5 Eye Laser or whatever.

Rather, your playbooks are based around teen hero archetypes, and your ability scores are like, how you perceive yourself as a hero. So you have the Protege, who is a Nightwing type, or the Kate Bishop-esque Beacon, or the secret identity focused Janus, that sort of thing. There's stuff like the Transformed and the Doomed where your powers play into the archetype a bit more, but largely they're still flavor. And then your stats are Danger, Freak, Savior, Superior, and Mundane - do you think your powers make you a freak, do you think you're better than everyone else, etc.

(also the illustrations for it were done by a previous forumer)

Straightzi on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I've heard good things about City of Mist too. You essentially take on the mantle of a legendary figure and have access to some of their powers, using them to solve mysteries and fight crime. Fantasy noir setting.

This discussion has been closed.