As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I went and looked at the pic of the assault reloading and the Eradicators
    I am far more curious if they have helms
    THe clip looked the same size? as the one he is reloading but either way I will wait for the them and decide
    Still like I said I do hope they keep the build a chapter stuff from the previous codex.

Another thing is my brother and I have been talking if they do X mas armies
    A phobos one would be fun if it was 2 to 3 Infiltrators/Incursors 10 Reivers the Invictor Tactical Warsuit, Eliminators and the phobos librarian I know the lack of power weapons but it is one of those armies you have to be smart about
    But in general it's a theory game about what they if they do Xmas deals this holiday as the only I can guess is the Realm lords

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So what all is coming for Necrons so far?

Codex
    Silent King
    Chronomancer
    Psychomancer
    Void Dragon
    Ophydian Destroyer
    Lokhust Heavy Destroyer
    Deathmark Destroyer
    Canoptek Doomstalker
    Plastic Flayed Ones
    Convergence of Dominion
    Potentially an updated Monolith or an entirely new model, don't remember if it was confirmed as a new Monolith kit or not.

I'm so glad I have a 20% off coupon for my LGS. I want to go so HAM on this Necron release.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Monolith is a completely new kit.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, brand new monolith, potentially new floaty gun destroyers (because they’re the only thing left with green rods at that point), maybe multipart skorpekh destroyers and/or warriors.
    Also, changes to units to make them more worthwhile like Triarchs getting proper beat-sticks etc.
    It’s a lot, and I kinda want it all…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    It's overwhelming. I had been prepared for potentially new floaty destroyers, for example, but the new models shown over the weekend caught me unawares. More / new melee destroyers that can deep strike in like flayers? In units up to 6? Tons of new Crypteks?!

Necrons need a power up badly (and even just the model adjustments to current ones like +1 toughness or better saves will help in October), but even then there's a rumor that Wraiths are going to be....adjusted. Ugh, I love Wraiths :(.

The only bad thing is that the other people in my group play Craftworld and Drukhari. I hope they get something....

Btw, I got hammered by Imperial Guard recently as Necrons, so any suggestions on a list to torch them would be appreciated :).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I am more curious about the necron codex as the destroyer cult and the few things they have shown from it
    The fact there are 6 different types of Crypteks and they have shown 4 so far

Still I await for the various flavors of aeldari to see what they get since craftworlds needs the love

It looks like one could run an entire Destroyer army for Necrons now, which is wild. I don't know if it'd be good, but there looks to be enough models now to do it.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So the new WD gives a hint at the new RP.

We know that it still shuts off if you kill an entire unit.

And we know that it now triggers every time an attack is resolved. (So you shoot with a squad at some crons, they RP. You shoot at them again with another squad, the RP).

Now the big question is it going to be only the models killed by the attack that triggers it (so like Graia in admech) or is it going to be every dead model like it is now. Both are good, one is actually bonkers.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/14/codex-space-marines-weapons-and-wargear-updates/

All factions including xenos get an update to their weapons as long as they show up in codex space marines.

So tau get 12" flamers and banshees get strength 4 power swords

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-09-11/games-workshop-space-warriors-trump-tesla-in-stock-market-race

Kind of an interesting article about GW being one of the UK's stars in the stock market.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    At the beginning of March 2020 their stock was $48 USD. Five months later it is now $131 USD.

Now a bit of context.

February 2020 the stock was $90-some USD. Then of course the VARUS happened and people dumped stock from a company that basically sold things for a hobby that required groups of people in close proximity. Which, y'know, makes sense right?

In reality while tabletop wargaming meetups have taken a hit, it seems that a LOT of people have been taking this time to BUY BUY BUY plastic minis since what the fuck else ya gonna do while sitting out the VARUS in your hermetically sealed bunker? No excuse not to paint/build that army you want/have been putting off.

edit- Oh and the Powers That Be at GW aren't dummies. While they have enjoy record breaking profits over the last couple of months they have told Shareholders that most of that money is being set aside, because given whats going on in the world, they are not sure how much of that is regular business growth or simply a by product of the VARUS.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Looks like another game this Sunday. Doing a 2k competitive verse guard. I beat him for the first time ever a few weeks ago. And we have played a lot as he was my main tourney practice in 8th for NoVA. I mean it worked.

He is doing mix guard/scions this time. And I am doing Ad Mech again. Should be a fun match. Need to find where the unbuilt box of Skitarii are. I am making one more vanguard unit. Though if I my local store had them I would actually get more seberys raiders instead. Same points but more ability to screen.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    At the beginning of March 2020 their stock was $48 USD. Five months later it is now $131 USD.

On July 17th of 2017 it closed at $17.15 a share.

This means that on the launch of 8th edition, if you had spent $160 on GW stock instead of buying a Dark Imperium box you would now be looking at a hair over $1,200

Which is consequently just enough money for a Forge World Reaver Titan and enough paints to paint it with.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The craziest thing is that it still feels like GW have plenty of scope to expand. Warhammer is just hovering below mainstream status, if something like the Eisenhorn TV show or the Marvel partnership does really well then it could still explode in popularity.

I know one of the people I talk to at work knows of 40k and such from video games and various books but it's the neck beard people he is trying to avoid
    I told him that really one of the neat things to get into the game get one of the paint sets with the minis you can see what it's like to paint {I have shown him a few of the videos and who to look up if he was interested in more] The GW store will show you and help
    As I told him the ugly people are easy to avoid when you see them sadly

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/14/codex-space-marines-weapons-and-wargear-updates/

All factions including xenos get an update to their weapons as long as they show up in codex space marines.

wonder if this will apply to ork burn boyz and eldar wraith dscythes?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »

Probably not. End of the article:
    * With updates to many more weapons due alongside future codexes for more exotic, army-specific wargear.

Dayspring wrote: »

Probably not. End of the article:
    * With updates to many more weapons due alongside future codexes for more exotic, army-specific wargear.

Well I know the Eradicators stole the eldar meltas so do they work the same?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I think there's a lot of confusion about the updated weapons. From my reading of the community articles, if a weapon appears by exact name in the new Marine Codex, then it will be updated for other factions as well. Similar weapons don't and will have to wait until further books are released.

So Howling Banshees get +1 S, because they're equipped with the same Power Swords as Marines have access to.
    Fire Dragons get nothing, because Fusion Guns are not the same weapon as Melta Rifles or Melta Guns.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The craziest thing is that it still feels like GW have plenty of scope to expand. Warhammer is just hovering below mainstream status, if something like the Eisenhorn TV show or the Marvel partnership does really well then it could still explode in popularity.

I've felt that GW stuff has been on the verge of breaking out a number of times in the past. Space Marine, Total War, and BFG: Armada were all solid enough games that did fairly well, but for whatever reason never fully clicked to get over that hump. Total War and Armada had the not minor issues that the setting no longer existed and the game was no longer being made respectively, but they still could have worked as introductions and yet it didn't quite happen.

I keep thinking about what was done with Judge Dredd, which has many similarities to 40k. Of the two movies made Judge Dredd was your standard Hollywood star vehicle blockbuster, with a lot of the trappings of the IP, but completely lacking in the... dunno, core elements of the setting. Then there was Dredd, which IMO absolutely nailed things. Neither movie did well, but the changes made for Judge Dredd in order to make it palatable for release as a mainstream movie makes me think that maybe 40k will never go fully mainstream because the absurd grimdarkness that makes it special automatically and massively narrows its appeal to audiences.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I think there's a lot of confusion about the updated weapons. From my reading of the community articles, if a weapon appears by exact name in the new Marine Codex, then it will be updated for other factions as well. Similar weapons don't and will have to wait until further books are released.

So Howling Banshees get +1 S, because they're equipped with the same Power Swords as Marines have access to.
    Fire Dragons get nothing, because Fusion Guns are not the same weapon as Melta Rifles or Melta Guns.

Yeah, that's the way I'm reading it as well. You'd hope that GW would take a pass at things like Xenos melta and flamer weapons just to cover things until the codex arrived, but I wouldn't be surprised if things were left.

PSN Fleety2009

While that’s true, I suspect that the weapons called out in the article are not the only ones to get updates, even ignoring the explicit note that other factions are getting updates.

There are still a bunch of other power weapons, plasma guns, bolters, maybe lascannon, smoke launchers, sniper rifles and more stuff that can be found in several armies that will probably get new rules

Basically the update right now is for Imperium and former Imperium who use the same weapons.

We know that Heavy bolters, flamers, meltas, and power swords all are getting buffed. All weapons with those names are getting buffed. Because it feels they are going back to the old way of doing weapons like that. And it is possible in future codexes I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back keywords to weapons.

Actually for some of them the easiest things they could do are just give weapons keywords again. Melta guns, fusion guns, and whatever get the melta word that does the 2+d6 at half range. All flame weapons could get a flame or flame thrower keyword for like burnas. D-scythes are autohits but they are their own thing. 12" d-scythes is nightmare inducing.

I feel that is where it is going.

u7stthr17eud.png
    It's going be a bit weird for stuff like mirror blades and executioners that probably won't get an update until the next craftworld codex while the normal power swords of the banshees are already boosted.

4Lat8XZh.jpg

Maybe this will let me survive against Astra Militarum.

Also a lot of relics that need updates that replace power swords.

I was messing with an EC list using Distortion last night. Distortion replaces a power sword and is strength user ap -4 d3 damage. It can be turned into a power fist with the same ap and damage. Since it replaces a power sword does it get +1 str? If so this goes from good to an amazing relic.

What about Lucius the Eternal's master-crafted power sword. Again strength user ap -3 d2. Does it get +1 strength? If so that is a huge buff to Lucius, one that feels really needed. Making him strength 5 is a shift in his wounding against his favorite targets, characters.

I know this is chaos centric but they are the army I play most affected by the secondary buffs. Deathwatch are in the new codex and Ad Mech is off doing omnissiah things. I think only the flamers on kataphron destroyers get affected maybe because they are cognis.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm ok if Warhammer never makes it over the hurdle to becoming fully mainstream the same way that comic books did (as an example).

I know that the only thing corporate bean counters want is more beans to count, but Warhammer is in a pretty good place right now, and I don't think they need to go after the mainstream audience. Star Trek did that and now the IP is a complete shitshow.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel like the hobby aspect of 40k has way too big of a hurdle both in money, time, and general "nerd investment" for that aspect to really break into mainstream the same way. Comics and TV shows and movies are still very passive mediums. They don't ask a lot out of their consumers.

website_header.jpg
    I'm ok if Warhammer never makes it over the hurdle to becoming fully mainstream the same way that comic books did (as an example).

I know that the only thing corporate bean counters want is more beans to count, but Warhammer is in a pretty good place right now, and I don't think they need to go after the mainstream audience. Star Trek did that and now the IP is a complete shitshow.

I mean Star Trek was also for a mainstream audience. It was a TV show but just instead got a niche audience but was wide spread enough for a ton of movies and five more series. It was always built for mass consumption and a mainstream audience. Hell the original in at times can very much be described a Western in space.

But I think having a lot of off shoots going mainstream is good. Doesn't mean the model side is going that way. More money to GW the more money to improve the game and system.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Which Star Trek?
    the current series {I seriously thought there was two. One in the era of Kirk and the other in ??? as I earlier in the year when I remembered the Fasa RPG was looking stuff about it on youtube and such and people were making fun of how the series had written itself into a corner so they made the 4 year war canon. But looking at pictures of discovery I thought it was not that because of the uniforms and look of the ship and O boy I really should avoid the internet as people have some opinions of the current upcomming season
    This is also a topic at work of how "Woke" things are I roll my eyes at as they said they warped star trek to have a strong black woman character I really wanted to correct him but I know that's a fool's errand with him and they have problems with lower decks I cannot even begin to talk about

AoS for all it's faults rolling out is still popular than Warhammer but as one video points out we do not know the internal state of GW as the video says they knew about Total War but not how popular it would be so why did they not roll Warhammer back out because of that?

I like AoS more in certain ways it doesn't have the rat crushing tome of lore. The armies seem now buildable without 2nd mortgage/ Car Loan ideals that warhammer had. I can look at my brother's wood/high elf armies and feel I have a large? DoK army that I want to get some more witch elves/Sister of slaughter for but it's a debate of do i want to get the current start collecting box for a 3rd cauldron?

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It still feels weird to me that they licensed out the dead setting for the Total War games instead of the setting they are actively trying to promote and sell. .

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    It still feels weird to me that they licensed out the dead setting for the Total War games instead of the setting they are actively trying to promote and sell. .

GW has (or had) a... thing about video games not competing with its main business.

Children's rights are human rights.
    It's a bit weird situation with total war. The first one came out in 2016. At that time age of sigmar was pretty much still in its baby shoes. So when development of the game started the AoS universe probably wasn't even developed enough to use it as a setting.

Also, the Total War franchise has pretty much always leaned hard on “traditional” infantry block move&manoeuvre tactics rather than skirmishing. Oldhammer was basically a perfect fit already.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah its only very recently that AoS was even close to fleshed out enough for a Total War game and even then they'd have had to let them make up a lot of it themselves.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Played CSM last night for the first time. It was a crusade game as I was standing in on the campaign since someone had to play on TTS this week. He was playing Necrons. I took not a hard list. I did take a 10 man noise marine squad with combat drugs though which was meaner than I thought.

So my list:
    +++ CSM for TTS (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [35 PL, 6CP, 713pts] +++

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)
    . Categories: Configuration

Detachment CP

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord: 6. Loathsome Grace, Combi-bolter, Distortion, Frag & Krak grenades, Jump pack, Mark of Slaanesh, Power sword, Warlord
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos Lord, Character, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: <Mark of Chaos>, Faction: Chaos, Warlord, Jump Pack, Fly, Faction: Slaanesh

Sorcerer: Bolt pistol, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience, Smite
    . Categories: HQ, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: <Mark of Chaos>, Psyker, Infantry, Faction: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Sorcerer, Character, Faction: Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Faction: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: <Mark of Chaos>, Troops, Chaos Space Marines, Faction: Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist
    . 4x Marine w/ chainsword: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Chaos Space Marines: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Faction: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: <Mark of Chaos>, Troops, Chaos Space Marines, Faction: Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist
    . 4x Marine w/ chainsword: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Faction: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Faction: Slaanesh, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: Emperor's Children, Troops
    . 2x Marine w/ blastmaster: 2x Blastmaster, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
    . 7x Marine w/ sonic blaster: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Frag & Krak grenades, 7x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Chainsword, Doom siren, Frag & Krak grenades, Sonic blaster

+ Fast Attack +

Raptors: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Faction: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: <Mark of Chaos>, Fast Attack, Fly, Infantry, Faction: Slaanesh
    . 2x Raptor: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
    . Raptor Champion: Chainsword, Combi-melta, Frag & Krak grenades
    . Raptor w/ special weapon: Frag & Krak grenades, Meltagun
    . Raptor w/ special weapon: Frag & Krak grenades, Meltagun

Created with BattleScribe

My opponent's necron list was:
    1x Overlord
    10xNecron warriors
    10xImmortals
    3xSkorpekh Destroyers
    1x Ghost Ark

We got the recon patrol mission which half your army is put in strategic reserves. You can come in on the first turn if you roll a 4+. Started with my noise marines, the sorc, and the lord. Got first turn but didn't actually kill much. Bad rolls from my Noise Marines and good saves for his Immortals. He kills half my noise marines on his turn and brings in his ghost ark from the 4+ roll. Kills all but 2 marines of the minimum squad. My turn 2 the raptors come down. Noise Marines with endless cacophony, vets, and the noise marine buffs finish off his immortals. Raptors and the 2 man marine squad surround the ghost ark due to how it came on.

This is basically the rest of the game. Skorpekhs come on and charge killing the noise marines but not the lord. The lord slaughters them. Gets into a wet noodle fight with overlord. Eventually loses and the Sorc finishes the lord. I rotate in squads keeping the ghost ark surrounded till they finished it off. Never had a chance to unload the warriors. Which was game. He was hoping the 20 shots could clear a squad but never was able to finish it.

Overall a fun game. Also felt good to play Chaos again.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Competitive Innovations in 9th: Invasion GT

So this was a pretty proper GT in players. Also top 5 had no space marines! Won by a pure Slaanesh list with Harlequin/Ynnari and Ad Mech in 2nd and 3rd. The meta is real interesting the few bits we see.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Pure Slaanesh daemons was def a surprise

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    Huge changes in how auras work

I like it a lot. Opens up a lot of design space.

u7stthr17eud.png