As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I've only seen crash once, when it came out on dvd, but I remember liking it?

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Real Steel is definitely a sports movie if you're even considering Robot Jox

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Did someone say Tin Cup yet?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Would Chariots of Fire count, here?

Edit: also, I just want you all to know that I have been spending far too long researching american light switches now, since they're apparently inverted to what I expect.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    Rad

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    chaosbear wrote: »
    Rad

Okay, if BMX counts, then let's also throw in Airborne for the in-line skaters of the world.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm just going to go ahead and call it. The best Sports movie is Gladiator.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and call it. The best Sports movie is Gladiator.

The Cuba Gooding Jr boxing one, right?

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    At this rate we'll be classing Ben-Hur as a sports movie.

Or Knightriders (the George Romero one).

I should add I'm perfectly okay with this.

Jazz on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Do Ski movies count? Better Off Dead features both drag racing and downhill skiing!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Point Break?

Point Break.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    chaosbear wrote: »
    Rad

Okay, if BMX counts, then let's also throw in Airborne for the in-line skaters of the world.

Airborne was on constantly back when Encore was a single channel. I think I've seen it at least five times.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It's the other film called Crash that's the really bad one, is my understanding.

Yeah, this is not the shitty Crash everyone knows about

Oscar-winning Crash is about Hollywood striving and failing to be relevant on racism.

David Cronenberg's Crash is about car crash injury fetishists.

Very different films.

Which one stars the bandicoot?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It's the other film called Crash that's the really bad one, is my understanding.

Yeah, this is not the shitty Crash everyone knows about

Oscar-winning Crash is about Hollywood striving and failing to be relevant on racism.

David Cronenberg's Crash is about car crash injury fetishists.

Very different films.

Which one stars the bandicoot?

You think James Spader's ass is that hairy?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Does Ali count? 42 was pretty damn good too but not sure if those are 'sports' movies.

Rudy is the most bullshit fake saccharine garbage. And not just because I hate Notre Dame (although that helps). The Program and Varsity Blues go on the list because they are like Fight Club in that the message that all this shit is fucked up goes right over the head of the high school guys watching it to get pumped up before every game.

• UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Slapshot.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Steelbook update! Saw over the summer they were doing a bunch of Ghibli releases so I'm up to these:
    PXL-20200916-011312687.jpg
    The Totoro, Spirited Away and Mononoke are special editions that come in a neat little storybook style case, with a small art booklet and some insight into the themes of the movies.

PXL-20200916-011259905.jpg
    I also got a Steelbook Cowboy Bebop (of which I've now bought three times haha) and a Steelbook Ghost in the Shell '95. I have a problem...

This was actually the first time I've seen some of these Ghibli movies, specifically Grave of the Fireflies and Nausica. Both were excellent in wildly different ways. I knew Fireflies would be a gut punch but it didn't land any softer seeing it coming. And Nausica had that whimsical 80's anime feel that combined with Ghibli really makes for something special, even if it's a pretty basic story.

Here's hoping they do some of the lesser known films too, I haven't seen Only Yesterday or Porco Rosso yet, as well as a few of the more recent ones.

Local H Jay on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That's a very nice steelbook for Cowboy Bebop.

Is that copy of Ghost in the Shell actually the original version of the film, or is it the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 version that replaced a bunch of animation with crappy CGI for some reason, that they keep releasing under just the name "Ghost in the Shell?" I ask because I've already purchased one copy of it on Blu-Ray and I don't want to keep buying the wrong version.

edited September 2020
    That's... Actually a great question haha. I already own it so I didn't even think to look. Here's a picture of the back, if it helps:
    PXL-20200916-013058199.jpg
    Edit: some reviews say this is the original version, so there's that.

Local H Jay on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ghibli movies are on 'sale' right now on Amazon US. $18 each.

edited September 2020
    Okay last Ghost in the Shell post, but this time I opened it and omg, didn't realize the cover is partially transparent
    PXL-20200916-014041752.jpgFree digital code for whomever!
    PXL-20200916-014054156.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

This means we get Speed Racer too!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Steelbook update! Saw over the summer they were doing a bunch of Ghibli releases so I'm up to these:
    PXL-20200916-011312687.jpg
    The Totoro, Spirited Away and Mononoke are special editions that come in a neat little storybook style case, with a small art booklet and some insight into the themes of the movies.

PXL-20200916-011259905.jpg
    I also got a Steelbook Cowboy Bebop (of which I've now bought three times haha) and a Steelbook Ghost in the Shell '95. I have a problem...

This was actually the first time I've seen some of these Ghibli movies, specifically Grave of the Fireflies and Nausica. Both were excellent in wildly different ways. I knew Fireflies would be a gut punch but it didn't land any softer seeing it coming. And Nausica had that whimsical 80's anime feel that combined with Ghibli really makes for something special, even if it's a pretty basic story.

Here's hoping they do some of the lesser known films too, I haven't seen Only Yesterday or Porco Rosso yet, as well as a few of the more recent ones.

Your amount of disposable income sickens me :razz:

Nobeard on
    Lmao, I've been busting ass during pandemic. When they cut my hours at work I started selling collectibles and clothing on the side online. Often times I'll buy two or three copies of those Steelbooks and flip the extras to help pay for the one I keep. Looking at my Mercari stats, I average about 500 a month selling stuff. Let me know if you guys need any Bathing Apes, I'm the plug.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

This means we get Speed Racer too!

Herbie the Love Bug. The original one. The climax is a race so it fits.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I was kind of hoping that was the live action GiTS, I think I'm the only one who liked it.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping that was the live action GiTS, I think I'm the only one who liked it.

I didn't hate it, but it uh... Wasn't a good GitS movie. It was okay. It suffered from wanting to ape the imagery of the original without keeping the same kind of the tone. Some crucial scenes are changed to be a little less evocative, and personally it didn't quite land as well. Like the opening just doesn't set the same tone without the original soundtrack or something like it. And the original is less concerned with showing action and takes the time to have slower setpieces. The scene with the truck driver comes to mind, it's way more potent in the original.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I didn't hate it, but it uh... Wasn't a good GitS movie. It was okay. It suffered from wanting to ape the imagery of the original without keeping the same kind of the tone. Some crucial scenes are changed to be a little less evocative, and personally it didn't quite land as well. Like the opening just doesn't set the same tone without the original soundtrack or something like it. And the original is less concerned with showing action and takes the time to have slower setpieces. The scene with the truck driver comes to mind, it's way more potent in the original.

I freely admit it's a messy adaptation, but taken as its own thing, there's a lot to like, namely Batou, the cityscapes, and that godlike OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_tpXCtgw4

wVEsyIc.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, I like it too and largely for the same reasons. It has its place and there's a lot to like about it.

I actually saw it before GitS '95 and it inspired me to go back and check that out (and then SAC as well), which is always a good sign.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The Live action GitS was boring. Mostly because it was an attempt to give the Major a backstory and justify her looking like Scarlet Johansson. The Major doesn't need a backstory, she is just badass because she is the Major. She looks like ScarJo because she wants to look like Scarjo. Only the joke is that because a lot of people in GitS world pick gorgeous movie star looks for their bodies, she looks completely average. The Major chooses to looks like a Scarlet Johansson mannequin to blend in.

(It does have a bad subtext when you know that one of the most common plastic surgery procedures in Asia is women going in for more "western" eyes. ScarJo would be a common model if people had a choice).

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was 100% down for what the live-action GitS was doing until the identity reveal towards the end.
    Like, both Scarlett's character and the main villain were both Asians that were downloaded into White bodies (and not nearly the only ones), and then also convinced that they were refugees that needed special medical treatment to cover for it.

sig.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My biggest disappointment with the remake was taking the philosophical question from the original about what constitutes “self” and explicitly states “it’s the meat”

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So my DVD copy of Full Metal Jacket finally gave up the ghost, so I figured, just get a Blu-Ray and I'm back in business. Buuuuut, I guess I should have payed more attention to what I was doing because I bought the Italian Special Edition, lol. It says it has the english audio, so hopefully it's just a matter of getting the settings right, but I am really curious how I could have made that mistake, lol.

If you got it from Amazon, its because there are barely any requirements to list region coding or country of origin for resellers/storefront accounts. Only place requiring it is the specification breakdown deep in bottom of the listing right before the reviews start. I've been burned by Hong Kong blu-rays more than once.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've asked this before without much success, but other than Shout Factory, Steelbooks, and Criterion are there any cool special releases of stuff on Blu Ray should look out for?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    If you got it from Amazon, its because there are barely any requirements to list region coding or country of origin for resellers/storefront accounts. Only place requiring it is the specification breakdown deep in bottom of the listing right before the reviews start. I've been burned by Hong Kong blu-rays more than once.

It works both ways though.

There is probably no way Disney is cool with us buying the full Phase 1 and Phase 2 set of MCU movies on BluRay for $70, but how would we know better? That's between Disney and Amazon.

Let them fight.

zagdrob wrote: »

It works both ways though.

There is probably no way Disney is cool with us buying the full Phase 1 and Phase 2 set of MCU movies on BluRay for $70, but how would we know better? That's between Disney and Amazon.

Let them fight.

True. While I haven't done full sets, I have gotten the Hong Kong 3D blu-rays for Doctor Strange and Infinity War + Endgame, as they'll play just fine via PlaystationVR.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Like just random stuff? I just picked this up
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YW7CHHL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-1QyFbC02FMQ2

It's the jurrassic park trilogy in a dope vhs case. Even has fake wear and tear on the edges.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've asked this before without much success, but other than Shout Factory, Steelbooks, and Criterion are there any cool special releases of stuff on Blu Ray should look out for?

Arrow and Kino Lorber have some good releases. Arrow is a European distributor, but they produce some of their catalogue region free.

Depending on your tastes, there are other good, more niche companies like Olive Films, Milestone, Powerhouse, and Icarus.

Tenzytile on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Arrow and Kino Lorber have some good releases. Arrow is a European distributor, but they produce some of their catalogue region free.

Depending on your tastes, there are other good, more niche companies like Olive Films, Milestone, Powerhouse, and Icarus.

Arrow do nice editions of some unusual movies, with a lot of love in the special features and usually (always? not sure) a nice booklet with various photos and an interesting essay or two about the film or director. I have been stung by accidentally ordering a disc that was not region free though, so make sure to pay attention.

You could consider Vinegar Syndrome, Blue Underground or Severin but those are also pretty niche and don't cater to everyone's tastes.

This discussion has been closed.