As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Youtube threw on the OST randomly, and holy crap is it good. Might have to grab this game after Fire Emblem just for that alone.

No matter what people think of the game itself, the OST is freakin fantastic all around.

The full OST is definitely on top on my list of things to import once I have extra funds again. The sampler that came with the special edition is great but I want more.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    FYI, the entire soundtrack is on Spotify (and probably other streaming services).

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The full OST is great and I listen to it all the time while working, but the way the character pieces were designed to flow into each other during gameplay is absolutely brilliant.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    LD50 wrote: »
    FYI, the entire soundtrack is on Spotify (and probably other streaming services).

Yeah but I like to own things.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

Slightly off topic but does Spotify have a decent selection of game OST's? I have Tidal right now and they have 0.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Slightly off topic but does Spotify have a decent selection of game OST's? I have Tidal right now and they have 0.

It depends on the publisher really. Square released their entire soundtrack library to Spotify this year. Capcom did the same thing, also this year.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Rise from the grave, thread!

Apologies for the bump but I'm about to start this game, and was wondering if anyone remembers any best practices when you're just starting out?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Apologies for the bump but I'm about to start this game, and was wondering if anyone remembers any best practices when you're just starting out?

Therion, Tressa, and Cyrus are the best starters, probably. But you can pick whoever. Healers are Ophelia and Alfyn to start.

There is a massive tonal whiplash between some stories (Tressa and Primrose especially).

Game teaches you how to play it pretty successfully. Look at the symbols in the minimap as you're wandering from town to town there are some very important ones as you progress from the act ones to the act twos.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not all the characters talk in Olde Tymee Speak, just one. Don't worry if that one botherith thou. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Therion, Tressa, and Cyrus are the best starters, probably. But you can pick whoever. Healers are Ophelia and Alfyn to start.

There is a massive tonal whiplash between some stories (Tressa and Primrose especially).

Game teaches you how to play it pretty successfully. Look at the symbols in the minimap as you're wandering from town to town there are some very important ones as you progress from the act ones to the act twos.

My gut pick of the Thief was spot on I guess. Jrpg law tells me bosses have unique loot that I'll need a thief to acquire.

After beating his first chapter I can steal HP and SP, so he's fairly self sufficient.

As for recruiting, I'm just going in a circle around the world.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Clockwise gets you the aforementioned annoying speaker second, counterclockwise gets you her last.

I guess the problem with Therion is I find him and his two neighbors the least compelling as characters and basically adore the other five.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

My gut pick of the Thief was spot on I guess. Jrpg law tells me bosses have unique loot that I'll need a thief to acquire.

After beating his first chapter I can steal HP and SP, so he's fairly self sufficient.

As for recruiting, I'm just going in a circle around the world.

No boss has special loot to steal.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Therion is the only character that can open certain locked chests that you'll come across in the open world. For that reason alone, I always try to keep him in the party. Choosing him as your starter means you'll never have to backtrack through an area again later just to grab a chest that was inaccessible earlier. Additionally, he's a fantastic Evasion Tank, and can transition into arguably the best offensive caster later on.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Therion as a caster is pretty sweet, since Thief comes with a skill that steals SP.

And yeah, Therion's unique on-field ability to open the purple chests is arguably the most important thing to have around at all times, with Tressa's ability to just find money close behind it.

edited September 2020
    The SP Steal is nice, but a lot of his offensive power actually derives from his equipment options. As a Thief, he's capable of using Daggers and Swords, and as it happens, there are one of each of those weapons that increases Fire damage (both drop late game). Therion can equip them both at once, which tremendously increases his magical damage output -- to the extent that you really don't even need to match your target's Elemental weakness anymore; just blast the shit out of them with Fire.

milk ducks on
    * worth noting that Therion isn't the only character that can double-stack Elemental damage like that: Tressa, Olberic, and Haanit can also accomplish this (though with different Elemental sources), but Tressa is typically assigned to Runelord, same with Haanit and Warmaster, and Olberic simply has atrocious base Elemental Attack, so the title of "Best Sorcerer" typically goes to Therion.

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I mostly ignored those locked chests in the world, since I didn't want to always keep Therion on my team. I did just fine.

But I did save-scum steal everything in that one late town...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    Oh, God. The amount of time I've spend save-scunming rare Steals in Octopath, that I'll never get back ...

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Oh, God. The amount of time I've spend save-scunming rare Steals in Octopath, that I'll never get back ...

I read about the save-scumming thing and decided it wasn't worth my time. Being super OP would kind of kill the fun/challenge anyway. But to each their own.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited September 2020
    I can't speak for everyone, but for me, Stealing items is more about completionism than it is about trying to be OP.
    I find it very satisfying to pass by somebody and see that: Yes, I've exhausted all of their dialogue; Yes, I've Stolen or Purchased everything they have to offer; Yes, I've Challenged them to a duel; etc.

milk ducks on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I can't speak for everyone, but for me, Stealing items is more about completionism than it is about trying to be OP.

Yeah I don't like passing things up. It's why I don't like RPGs where there are two branching paths, one takes you forward, and one has a chest. I want to know which has the chest don't make me progress the story!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

Yeah I don't like passing things up. It's why I don't like RPGs where there are two branching paths, one takes you forward, and one has a chest. I want to know which has the chest don't make me progress the story!

Being able to tell which way "leads forward" and which way "leads to a chest" is a skill I pride myself on, lol. I always make sure I bump into every dead end in a dungeon before progressing deeper toward the end.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Being able to tell which way "leads forward" and which way "leads to a chest" is a skill I pride myself on, lol. I always make sure I bump into every dead end in a dungeon before progressing deeper toward the end.

Left, its almost always left.

steam_sig.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    My "favorite" is FFII. 4 doors, identical to each other. 1 is progression, 3 trap you in the center of a room with an extra-high encounter rate.

And maybe 3 times in the game, one of them has a treasure. Good luck.

So I'm still in chapter 1, but do the characters ever interact and develop any sort of group chemistry? Or is it just 8 mimes who never talk to each other, only characters in their own routes?

So I'm still in chapter 1, but do the characters ever interact and develop any sort of group chemistry? Or is it just 8 mimes who never talk to each other, only characters in their own routes?

They do not really. There are minor scenes of two characters chatting about something, but it is very much a game of "8 very fleshed-out character stories, not one intertwining overarching story." It is not a traditional JRPG in that respect. It's actually what turned me off from the game.

Steam profile
    When I play JRPGs, if they have non-toggleable random encounters, I'll pull up maps online to navigate everything quickly to reduce time. If the chests out there have low-value rewards (a potion, an antidote, etc), I'll just skip them.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

They do not really. There are minor scenes of two characters chatting about something,

Sometimes more:

I never found the all-male equivalent (if it exists).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    When I play JRPGs, if they have non-toggleable random encounters, I'll pull up maps online to navigate everything quickly to reduce time. If the chests out there have low-value rewards (a potion, an antidote, etc), I'll just skip them.

You're the kind of person who takes a bite out of the entire Kit Kat without breaking them apart first, aren't you, Dover?

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

There are a few instances based on team comp and story progression, but its at most 1 or 2 lines or what Vyolynce showed. But no, no real chemistry. It's arguably the major weakness of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah them not interacting didn't really effect my enjoyment of the game but I hope in the sequel it happens because everyone wants it.

You're the kind of person who takes a bite out of the entire Kit Kat without breaking them apart first, aren't you, Dover?

Wait, why would you break them apart when you can just bite through 4 at once? Efficiency man!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

Wait, why would you break them apart when you can just bite through 4 at once? Efficiency man!

I generally break my food down into it's components to eat it. I like each bite to be small, homogeneous, and unsurprising.

Steam profile
    I like each bite to be small, homogeneous, and unsurprising.

Like HotS!

They do not really. There are minor scenes of two characters chatting about something, but it is very much a game of "8 very fleshed-out character stories, not one intertwining overarching story." It is not a traditional JRPG in that respect. It's actually what turned me off from the game.

That's kind of sad, really. The cast interactions in the Bravely series is one of my favorite parts.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I put almost 60 hours into the game because I really enjoyed the gameplay. But I really disliked the story, and never grew to like the characters. Each of the chapters seem more like story synopses rather than an actual story. When they openly aped my favorite FInal Fantasy scene accompanied with the kind of hackneyed writing that Rise of the Skywalker might be embarrassed by, I called it quits and haven’t looked back. If you don’t dig the opening chapters then you probably won’t like the later ones any better.

The soundtrack is dope though.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Octopath is my favorite Switch game. I'll admit the story isn't that great, but the gameplay, the graphics, the music, everything else about it is perfect. I just enjoy playing the game.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I put almost 60 hours into the game because I really enjoyed the gameplay. But I really disliked the story, and never grew to like the characters. Each of the chapters seem more like story synopses rather than an actual story. When they openly aped my favorite FInal Fantasy scene accompanied with the kind of hackneyed writing that Rise of the Skywalker might be embarrassed by, I called it quits and haven’t looked back. If you don’t dig the opening chapters then you probably won’t like the later ones any better.

"disliked the story" is kind of weird because there are 8 separate stories in the game. Some way stronger than others. You literally didn't like a single one of them? There's something there for everyone IMO.

urahonky wrote: »

"disliked the story" is kind of weird because there are 8 separate stories in the game. Some way stronger than others. You literally didn't like a single one of them? There's something there for everyone IMO.

imo, a strong RPG has both a good central story and strong character stories (and side plots, etc). Lots of RPGs do this.

Octopath just does the character stories. It does them well, but it means that the "game's" story is basically entirely lacking.

Steam profile
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Even if you like one of the stories it'll be several hours of grinding before you see the continuation of it in the next chapter. And during that time that character you like is contributing nothing to the story you're watching.