As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I have figured out the clicking is coming from the PSU. Guess I should start the RMA?

Clicking is something PSU's should decidedly NOT do. Is there maybe something impeding the fan? If an RMA is simple, I'd definitely go for that.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I have figured out the clicking is coming from the PSU. Guess I should start the RMA?

Clicking is something PSU's should decidedly NOT do. Is there maybe something impeding the fan? If an RMA is simple, I'd definitely go for that.

It's in it's own little shroud. I'll unbolt it and make sure nothing is in there with it, but I can't see what would be messing with it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Do not go poking around inside the PSU though, it can be extremely dangerous.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    dylman wrote: »
    Do not go poking around inside the PSU though, it can be extremely dangerous.

Oh, yeah. I meant the whole unit has its own little home inside the case, separated from everything else.

I used to assemble PSU's for traffic control cabinets, I have no desire to ever look inside something similar again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Alright, I am just now realizing the depth of how hard it might be to get my hands on a 3080 on release day

How should I approach the situation? First thing on the 17th, go around to Best Buy / Microcenter / B&H while refreshing online sellers?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Alright, I am just now realizing the depth of how hard it might be to get my hands on a 3080 on release day

How should I approach the situation? First thing on the 17th, go around to Best Buy / Microcenter / B&H while refreshing online sellers?

Try everywhere you can if you want an AIB card and hope for the best. We're all going up against bots and people just like us who are trying to do it ourselves. Hopefully retailers have some kind of system in place to prevent people or bots from buying multiple cards but it's likely to be a total shit show regardless.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Pre-orders are being listed on EBay for these even though pre-orders do not exist.

I'm glad to see it looks like nobody is bidding. I think each of these sellers should get review bombed as the shit-eating scalping piece of garbage they are.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I had about 5 seconds of click warning from my PSU before it fried some components. I wouldn't take any chances, that's for sure.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm actually glad I want a 3090 and not a 3080, so I can research what times 3080's go up for sale on Thursday and plan accordingly on the 24th.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Are we getting 3090 reviews tomorrow as well?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    I believe Nvidia said 3090 embargo was the 24th, the launch day. I think we're only getting 3080 reviews tomorrow.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I assume we're getting numbers on each card when each card is released.

• Options
    We'd already have official 3080 numbers but for global shipping issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they lift the 3070 embargo a couple days early as well.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    laughs smugly in "waiting for 3080 Ti"

cries smugly in "it could well be worse"

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't care that it's 3 minutes long, I couldn't stop giggling. I love every version of this meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbNZxX2MIFM

Mugsley on
  • Options
    So that's a thing? People are panicking over that? I saw a bunch of videos to the effect pop up in my stream but I didn't realize people were actually this worried about it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I mean I wasn't sure if my 3600 would play nice with a 3070.

But I'm a noob.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    That paired with an AMD Downfall video would be...perfect.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So that's a thing? People are panicking over that? I saw a bunch of videos to the effect pop up in my stream but I didn't realize people were actually this worried about it.

The downfall of total information availability is context.

Yes, there will always be a CPU bottleneck. But it'll probably be margin of error unless you're running something super low on the product stack.

Basically I've found that 95% of the things tech youtubers and overclockers and computer sites talk about on the bleeding edge mean absolutely dick to 95% of the population. Most of the stuff in a Gamers Nexus video is interesting theory and neat to watch but it will mean almost certainly nothing to the vast majority of people.

We've come really far in standardization as well as having nicely tuned hardware out of the box. In 2000 you could really scoop some nice gains from basic overclocking, die lapping, config scouring, and messing with little known settings, jumpers, and even replacing a few small parts on a mobo. Things come way more performance-minded out of the box these days.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Awww fuck, we're back to this bullshit again? I guess I'm sticking with my 1080 Ti for another 2 generations.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

Awww fuck, we're back to this bullshit again? I guess I'm sticking with my 1080 Ti for another 2 generations.

If you can't beat them, join them.

laughs in NVDA

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Fuck off bitcoin or whatever the hell it's called these days.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Eh, let's see how bad it actually is. Crypto mining naturally died off not because the cards were bad but because prices cratered. It may not be a relevant force again.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Do we have any idea what time I should start desperately trying to hit purchase on best buy/amazon/whatever to get a 3080? I think I'm gonna try for a 3080 Founders edition.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Do we have any idea what time I should start desperately trying to hit purchase on best buy/amazon/whatever to get a 3080? I think I'm gonna try for a 3080 Founders edition.

9 EDT/ 6 PDT

FEs will only be on nvidia's site and Best buy.

If you want to save your payment information on nvidia's site (you want to), you have to pretend to check out with something

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I finally pulled the trigger and got an ADATA GAMMIX S11 Pro 1TB NVME drive. I'm hoping to install it today but, if I have this ASUS Z97-A motherboard, should I use the M.2 slot or a PCI slot? I already have a PCI adapter courtesy of a co-worker. Is there a difference in speeds?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Spoit wrote: »

9 EDT/ 6 PDT

If you want to save your payment information on nvidia's site (you want to), you have to pretend to check out with something

This is great info, as I'm likely going to try and get an FE 3090 in a week. Thanks for posting this.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I finally pulled the trigger and got an ADATA GAMMIX S11 Pro 1TB NVME drive. I'm hoping to install it today but, if I have this ASUS Z97-A motherboard, should I use the M.2 slot or a PCI slot? I already have a PCI adapter courtesy of a co-worker. Is there a difference in speeds?

M.2 and PCI both use the same lanes so the speed should be similar

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Anyone have a guess what would be a fair price to ask for to sell my 2-year-old [plain/reference] Asus 1080? I assume it's not worth squat, but maybe can get something out of it...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

9 EDT/ 6 PDT

I'm camping out on Best Buy's site and occasionally checking NVIDIA. They're not up yet! I am gonna break my F5 key!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

9 EDT/ 6 PDT

I'm camping out on Best Buy's site and occasionally checking NVIDIA. They're not up yet! I am gonna break my F5 key!

You're a day early....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

9 EDT/ 6 PDT

You're a day early....

*facepalm*

It's review day, launch day is tomorrow. I thought they were the same day.

Welp, F5 key you are saved. Thank you!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Eh, let's see how bad it actually is. Crypto mining naturally died off not because the cards were bad but because prices cratered. It may not be a relevant force again.

Did it actually die off though? I'm sure it diminished over time, but died off?

Plus with the price point of these cards and the promised increase of performance, I think it's fair to say that everybody currently into crypto mining is going to be buying these cards.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Reviews are starting to come out. Performance for prices seems like what folks expected. Thermals on the FE are kind of interesting. Ars mentioned thermal throttling after 50 minutes doing 3D mark. Might not be a normal use case, and maybe 3rd party cards will have better cooling solutions.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

There shouldn't be any reason not to use the NVME socket. Save the adapter for when you have to medicate your terrible addiction to insanely fast data storage by getting more NVME drives.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hardware Unboxed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSmiaR3RVE

Edit: Hardware Unboxed publishes video time stamps, so these folk fuckin' rock imo.

JayZTwoCents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GE1bfxRVo

Edit: Jay is so fuckin' hype about the 3090 FE.

TLDR is performance gain on the 2080 is more like 50% at 1440p... which is still way better than 1080 -> 2080, but the "80%" performance boosts advertised is really only at 4K.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Fucking hilarious (I know it's at Ultra but come on MS).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    The 3080 benches look good, I'm quite curious to see how the 3090 stacks up. I'm trying hard not to give into the hype and wait until we get benches on the Radeon 6000 cards.

This discussion has been closed.