As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
pg5fHb4.jpg

pTrE2Db.jpg

Previously on the Mass Effect Thread
Version 1.0 - Mass Effect Andromeda announced, featuring even hotter humanoid ship AI
Version 2.0 - Ryders on the Tempest
Version 3.0 - Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full.
Version 4.0 - Sara's out and Scott free.
Version 5.0 - Ryders of the Lost Ark(s).
Version 6.0 - Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

(OP at least partially stolen from Curly. He carries us through more than just MP.)

Trailers!

https://youtu.be/PfHxklxMhA4

https://youtu.be/X6PJEmEHIaY

What We Know:
The Original Trilogy is out.

Mass Effect Andromeda is out.

Good lord there's a bunch of comics and novels. Most are good, the rest are really bad.

Maaaybe there'll be a remaster of the OT at some point, but no one knows, so we're perennially talking about when that could happen. We'll probably hear something by N7 Day, assuming BioWare wants to celebrate it this year.

Versions of the Releases
PC
-The entire OT is currently available on Origin, complete with DLC.
-The entire OT is currently available on Steam, with only ME3's DLC. All Steam does is open the Origin Launcher anyway.
-Andromeda is available on both Steam and Origin, but both ultimately use the Origin Launcher.
Console
-The X360 has a full OT release, which is able to be played on the Xbone.
-The PS3 has a full OT release, but no compatibility with the PS4.
-Andromeda is available on the Xbone
-Andromeda is available on the PS4.
-No idea how it's going to work for the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X

Multiplayer
ME3 servers are still going, Andromeda servers are still going. Hit up the thread if you want to get a game together!

Lastly, Quads.

sig.gif
Sorce on

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    First page soooo obligatory "best of me memes" post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j03J4OAYH4

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Something something quads, something something sweat, something something Fornax, September, "we have dismissed" etc.

Mmmm, new thread.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man that video still gets me after all these years.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Technically, Clawhammers aren't banned anymore

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard.....

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard.....
    Buy armali arms, I'm commander shepard!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Mmm, New thread smell.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Technically, Clawhammers aren't banned anymore

Then this reality was a mistake.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Shout out to some of my favorite (official) trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pShKKOV_gA
    (the first trailer that marketed FemShep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqwuHFIgIA
    My favorite multiplayer trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNG_szaXNNU
    And my second-favorite Andromeda trailer

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Huh, I never noticed Sara had a line in that trailer before.

sig.gif
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

This is it.

Every time I saw this thread get bumped I would come here hoping a remaster was announced.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This is it.

Every time I saw this thread get bumped I would come here hoping a remaster was announced.

What's with the lower price point on the Switch version? That's very not EA-like.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is it.

What's with the lower price point on the Switch version? That's very not EA-like.

Think of it more as gouging the Xbox and PS players, and it makes sense.

Arrgh, I wish they would do a real announcement already. I have plans to try to get my wife to do a full replay with me (she's not a gamer at all, but I think she'd enjoy the story if I do all the combat), but if I start laying the groundwork too early then she will lose interest.

Also, I keep thinking I want to dip back into ME3 multi, but I have these unreasonable hopes that the remaster will trigger a whole new wave of players, etc and I don't want to burn out before that happens.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I honestly don’t know if I could physically find the time to replay the trilogy.

That’s a lot of hours I could be spending playing games I’ve not already played twice (apart from 3, which I only played once).

I might be tempted if the combat has been tweaked, as 1 felt really clunky when compared to 2 and 3.

I suppose it would depend on what remastered actually means. If it’s just higher resolutions and tweaked graphics, I don’t think I’d bother.

I do miss Femshep, though.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    whaaaa... a new ME thread? o_o

Scary.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'll be honest I'm still skeptical it's coming out.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Same. The only way I see this happening is some very slow laborious process where it eventually comes out say at the end of 2021 or even beginning 2022 or it's completely farmed out to some 3rd party studio. Given how much work their Austin Studio is doing trying to mend together the shattered bits of Anthem and everyone else apparently working on the next Dragon Age and supposedly the next Mass Effect game doing...something...I don't know how much overhead they have to do a legit trilogy remaster.

I wouldn't be surprised if the remasters were farmed out to Bluepoint or someone like that.

Hell, even the PC version of ME1 was farmed out to another studio back in '08.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Hell, even the PC version of ME1 was farmed out to another studio back in '08.

I almost forgot this happened. Yeah it's not unprecedented that a port could be sourced out to a third party

I'm going to be honest though? I'm still not sold on a Mass Effect remaster. I know people out there really, really want one, but besides Mass Effect 1 I don't think any of the games really need a remaster. The visual design of 2 and 3 in particular has aged spectacularly well and is definitely still one of the nicer-looking Unreal Engine 3 games out there. I guess there's also a bias from my end where I play Mass Effect on PC (and occasionally Xbox) so it's not like being able to access the trilogy has ever been out of reach for me so I'm not really perceiving a game preservation issue either.

I'm waiting to see just how much has been updated or tweaked. Very little, and I'll still probably be tempted by the Switch version because the Holy Trilogy in my pocket is still just too ridiculously awesome to pass up. If lots of good stuff has been done that's a whopping step up from the backwards compatible 360 games, they might sell me an Xbone version. PC already has mods and texture packs and alternate endings and whatnot; so not sure how they'd talk me into a PC version, but who knows.

Too many questions right now!

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I mean I'll play it. I'll play the hell out of it, probably get a ps4 and xbox version so the wife and I can both play it.

But I haven't seen a single bit of actual proof that it exists. It seems to be the same rumor bouncing around different websites.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest though? I'm still not sold on a Mass Effect remaster. I know people out there really, really want one, but besides Mass Effect 1 I don't think any of the games really need a remaster.

I remember loads of muddy textures in 2 & 3. Of course, people have fixed that more or less with mods, but it'd be nice to have the trilogy together in one package with better visuals and all the DLC included.

s7Imn5J.png
    edited September 2020
    Yeah the textures are obviously not that great compared to what we have today, but the best part about that series' visual design is that colors and shapes are smooth and clean enough that detailed textures are not what made those characters and settings distinct. All three games already have screenshot-worthy visuals and vistas that a remaster would only incrementally improve on - not worth a resale in my context as a fan

I welcome it, but I don't need it

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    What I'm excited about for a remaster is going back to ME3 multiplayer with new people.

Moridin889 wrote: »
    What I'm excited about for a remaster is going back to ME3 multiplayer with new people.

Same, I'm gonna be so fantastically rusty though

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I really want ME collection with all of the DLC bundled in. Buying it can be a chore from the regular store.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I really want ME collection with all of the DLC bundled in. Buying it can be a chore from the regular store.

I would be kinda surprised if the remastered trilogy didn't include the DLC.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised if EA pressured them into reselling DLC separately. It’s happened before with other games from other studios and I’m not sure what Bioware’s financial state is at the moment.

"I see everything twice!"

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Okay but... you have to unlock all the good classes and weapons again. Plus probably a bunch of other whammy unlocks that EA made Bioware shove in there to pad out the loot boxes.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I own at least the first two games on the PC but never played very far into them. I should probably try them at some point, but portable on the Switch would be great. I just can't imagine how much space I'll have to clear out on my SD card to make room for them.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised if EA pressured them into reselling DLC separately. It’s happened before with other games from other studios and I’m not sure what Bioware’s financial state is at the moment.

Even if the DLC is being resold separately, as long as it's just sold DIRECTLY THROUGH THE STOREFRONT and not some weird-ass installer that you have to buy from an in-game menu for $Funbux and then download and run manually, it'll be an improvement.

edited September 2020
    I own at least the first two games on the PC but never played very far into them. I should probably try them at some point, but portable on the Switch would be great. I just can't imagine how much space I'll have to clear out on my SD card to make room for them.

Looking at the full installs of the 360 games on my Xbox One with all DLC, ME1 is 7.9GB, ME2 is 18.4GB and ME3 is 27.9GB. So somewhere north of that, I assume...

...yeah, that's definitely gonna be in "get a bigger SD card" territory for me! Even if they went with a 32GB cart, which they won't.

Edit: I mean, that looks tailor-made for an 8GB cart and download 2 & 3. Similar to Bioshock Collection.

Jazz on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I'll be honest I'm still skeptical it's coming out.

Neil Gaiman once said that he didn't believe a movie was coming out until he was sitting in the theatre with a tub of popcorn. Terry Pratchett replied that it would take a lot more than that to convince him.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Okay but... you have to unlock all the good classes and weapons again. Plus probably a bunch of other whammy unlocks that EA made Bioware shove in there to pad out the loot boxes.

What's funny is that if they don't touch the multiplayer much then the player credits are still hosted locally. As in, at least on PC, you can get something like cheat engine and give yourself millions of credits to open packs.

Back in the day there was supposedly some moderation involved but nowadays? I played the series on the xbox but got ME3 on PC well after the fact when the game was barely monitored. I definitely cheated myself cash.

I won't be the first lemming for the remaster, but I'll keep my ear to the ground...

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Just got to say so everyone knows
    @RonaldoTheGypsy is a goddamn *saint*

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Aw, you paid for it! I am glad you're happy.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I just remembered an interest in the new Bioware store official ME challenge coin, until I put it into the cart and found that a $20 coin had $21 in S&H associated with it in order to ship to the frozen wastes to the north (plus the risk of getting dinged for further customs charges/fees).

Ugh.

Hopefully they'll get some proper armour stripe hoodies back and I can at least get a couple of things at the same time.

... if only they'd take payment in costuming group challenge coins. That I could totally do!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »
    I just remembered an interest in the new Bioware store official ME challenge coin, until I put it into the cart and found that a $20 coin had $21 in S&H associated with it in order to ship to the frozen wastes to the north (plus the risk of getting dinged for further customs charges/fees).

Ugh.

Hopefully they'll get some proper armour stripe hoodies back and I can at least get a couple of things at the same time.

... if only they'd take payment in costuming group challenge coins. That I could totally do!

Yeah my armor stripe hoodie has seen better days at this point

This discussion has been closed.