As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What's today?

I know there's a PS5 Sony event, but what does that have to do with Elden Ring? If they didn't show Elden Ring during any of their other PS5 game showcases, why would they show it today during what is assumed to be the price, launch date, and preorder reveal for the hardware?

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What's today?

I know there's a PS5 Sony event, but what does that have to do with Elden Ring? If they didn't show Elden Ring during any of their other PS5 game showcases, why would they show it today during what is assumed to be the price, launch date, and preorder reveal for the hardware?

While I don't think Elden Ring is on the menu, it is presumed/heavily rumored that today's PS5 showcase will have some number of unrevealed big titles, with Final Fantasy 16 most prominently rumored.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

gyj50gsa0rrg.jpeg

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah I doubt we'll get Elden Ring gameplay. We could get Demon's Souls gameplay though.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Almost assuredly getting Demon's Souls and likely the announcement that it will be a launch title which would give SONY another co-op title (alongside Godfall, which we will probably see. . .again).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Less than no interest in Godfall but if Sony can make Elden Ring announcement "theirs" then that's what I hunger for. Demon's Souls good too.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I saw activity and the thread title, couldn't remember if that was always the title, and thought maybe it'd been canceled.

Clearly, Fromsoft refuses to tell us anything about Elden Ring so it's a bigger surprise when a gameplay trailer drops and it becomes clear this is also a successor to Armored Core, with big fantasy mecha battles. And its taking a while since they haven't worked on their mecha stuff in a while.

/tinfoil

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So clearly the Elden Ring is a master keyring to a set of ancient and powerful robots.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Honestly if anywhere, an Elden Ring trailer will probably appear during an Xbox presentation. Bandai Namco frequently markets its games during Xbox conferences and the initial announcement trailer showed up at an Xbox E3 presentation. I would be extremely surprised at this point if it showed up on a Sony show.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Are you folks excited for tonight

You mean for the fake shit posted from a Russian account?

Not particularly.

If it turns out legit then yay but I'm not counting on it.

Someone on the subreddit for Elden Ring put together everything known about the game, with a section at the end for the stuff from a ResetEra-confirmed insider that's offered proper leaks before

It's a bit more than I knew was out there, even just looking at proper sources

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/hm9j4b/so_i_listed_everything_we_know_about_the_game/

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I keep thinking how cool it would be if the Elden Ring was a broken halo around the planet, but there’s no way it’s secretly sci-fi.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Maybw it’s this year talking but I am already questioning if it will make it onto any consoles that currently exist or if it will be a Playstation 6 title.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I just tell myself that Elden Ring is taking a long time because they're working on a new Armored Core title. It helps.
    Let me have my delusions

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I would be very surprised if they're the only company to magically not have massive disruptions due to Covid-19.

So I'm just betting on "Covid-19 massively disrupted their work and they are not ready to show anything yet" and that's it!

I'm just walking away with that one on the table.

I don't see any reason to think any different.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I just tell myself that Elden Ring is taking a long time because they're working on a new Armored Core title. It helps.
    Let me have my delusions

I was pretty sure they said a new AC title is one of their ongoing projects

I agree with Morninglord in that I'd guess Covid and maybe the shift to supporting PS5/XSX pushing up the general specs of the game may also have caused delays (as we all know, every FromSoft game is the pinnacle of programming and never has issues with stuff like, frame rate and what not)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Peas wrote: »

I have to say this is kind of a relief

I was getting more and more certain it was gonna get canceled, just because of the radio silence

Also kinda lol the top tweet is some guy getting savaged because he wants an easy mode.

jungleroomx on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Difficulty modes would be cool. More people should get to play these games, they are pretty good games.

Aistan wrote: »
    Difficulty modes would be cool. More people should get to play these games, they are pretty good games.

I feel like trying to tune 2 or more separate difficulty modes inherently makes all of them less enjoyable than a single, finely tuned gameplay mode.

I dunno, i'm not a game developer really. There are probably ways to manage it, other games have difficulty options and do fine. It's just something to be thought about and worked on like any other aspect of the game, it's not like there's a slider with Accessibility on one side and Fun on the other. If they took it seriously and put time into figuring it out they could make it work.

Aistan wrote: »
    I dunno, i'm not a game developer really. There are probably ways to manage it, other games have difficulty options and do fine. It's just something to be thought about and worked on like any other aspect of the game, it's not like there's a slider with Accessibility on one side and Fun on the other. If they took it seriously and put time into figuring it out they could make it work.

One of the biggest draws of a From game isn't just the absurd difficulty, it's the game design. It's probably the thing they spend the most time on. I think they spend a lot of time (and by now have a large working knowledge) on how much damage a hit from X should be. Changing that up or down changes the entire calculus of the From software fights.

I don't see a difficulty slider making that any better. What is going to make From games better is more solid controls, because tbqh the controls in DS1 and DS2 are clunktastic. DS3 feels better. Sekiro feels amazing.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If they can't figure out a good way to make accessibility work within the gameplay they want, just add an invincibility mode. Hamhanded, yes, but it means literally anyone can enjoy the game, which is a good thing!

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 handled it perfectly by just letting you grind down enemy spawns so you can fully explore levels at leisure, but also letting you make them respawn harder if you want

edited October 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    If they can't figure out a good way to make accessibility work within the gameplay they want, just add an invincibility mode. Hamhanded, yes, but it means literally anyone can enjoy the game, which is a good thing!

Alternate take

From games are already massively successful and acclaimed, why change anything that is fundamentally core to the entire design philosophy?

They're apparently accessible enough that millions of people play the games.

jungleroomx on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Because you could bring in even more people...?

Weird argument!

edited October 2020
    Because you could bring in even more people...?

Weird argument!

And then we could just get rid of any kind of theme, design, or uniqueness and turn it into an Ubisoft sandbox.

Even more people play those. Theyre very easy. Shame the games are awful and have zero personality.

Let a studio have some sort of design ethos instead of just another homogenous AAA grindhouse.

jungleroomx on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sometimes a game is targeting an audience that is smaller than "everyone on planet earth"

i would say this actually points to the health of the industry

i appreciate people wanting an easier difficulty to make the game playable for folks who find the games unplayable as they are

i also appreciate the developers looking at that request and saying "Actually, nah, we want the game to be the way that it is"

BloodySloth on
    Pretty ableist, guys!

Pretty ableist, guys!

"You wanting hard games is ableist!"

Yeah I'm not doing this.

edited October 2020
    Mmm, no, specifically you argued that hard games should not have any options to become easier. And yes, that is ableist. There's not really another way to spin arguing against accessibility options.

If you aren't willing to own that what you're arguing for explicitly excludes disabled folks, that's your own problem mate.

edit: I am going to drop it here though because trying to get people to see that yes, actually, arguing against accessibility options is inherently an ableist position whether you mean it that way or not is somewhat of a waste of time. Folks either get that they're being exclusionary or they don't and the ones who don't almost never are willing to admit it to themselves.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited October 2020
    Mmm, no, specifically you argued that hard games should not have any options to become easier. And yes, that is ableist. There's not really another way to spin arguing against accessibility options.

If you aren't willing to own that what you're arguing for explicitly excludes disabled folks, that's your own problem mate.

If the studio doesn't want to do it because its not how its designed, then thats fine.

I dont even know what youre arguing. Are you suggesting those with disabilities inherently can't play video games with any sort of difficulty? And I'm the ableist?

jungleroomx on
    It comes down to a semantic distinction between difficulty and accessibility. From has already added accessibility options to their games. They have subtitles, they provide volume sliders, they let you remap the controls (sort of). In that regard the work is already being done to make the game more accessible to a larger number of people.

Personally I think they should go further. What form that takes, again i'm not a game designer. It's up to them. I just want more people to experience these games if they want to.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tso8u4OJLuI

I don't have a side here. I see both points of view.

But since we are on this topic this guy is a badass.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tso8u4OJLuI

I don't have a side here. I see both points of view.

But since we are on this topic this guy is a badass.

I think he also crushed DS1.

I think I just get to a point where, as someone with disabling injuries, I get a bit insulted when its pushed down that I need an easy mode and that theyre suggesting the dev go against their game experiences for my own good.

I like a good challenge. God knows I can't run anymore and right now my right leg and arm are currently on fire and numb due to the nerve damage i have. Its partially why I haven't finished the final fight in Sekiro.

But don't give me an easy way out.

This discussion has been closed.