As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Unless it was extremely well-hidden, your choices were to either conquer Nuka-World by backing two of three evil factions and then use it to raid the Commonwealth, or mindlessly destroy every living person in the park. If you were a good-aligned character, there was no narrative ending and no real content for you.

The doctor in the main park ran the settlement before the raiders showed up and she asks you to kill them all to liberate everyone.

Preston also can start that quest line.

Aistan on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Right. That's the "mindlessly kill everyone in the park" quest.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if it's mindless. They give you targets and a reason.

But yes you're missing out on 95% of the story content in the dlc doing that.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I'm currently touring the park before either committing to mayhem or just quitting the place altogether.

It does seem like you could just have the traders trying to fight back as a gang themselves and are completely inept at it until you get there and help.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I guess my main problem is that it cost twenty bucks on release. If that had been a big involved questline in the main game, I'd be all for it even if I didn't play it. But that's the price of an Old World Blues or a Lost Harbor, all for an experience that most players won't ever touch, because it mostly feels bad.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Borderlands 3 is 50% off on Steam and being super late to the party has enabled me to buy it at this discount. Huzzah. I'll probably do a blind stream of it this weekend or something.
    ...it was this price when it launched on Steam. Good on you for waiting on that deal to come around again instead of paying full price, though.
    Ooohhhhhhhhh yeah, I forgot about that.

If it wasn't for what's-his-name being a complete tool I probably would've been willing to buy it at full price.

i did and i deeply deeply regret it. it's just not fun at all.

I am surprised by this assessment, as I usually am in close agreement w/ Magic Pink about the enjoyability of games.

BL3 is a treat. Mechanically it's the best of the Borderlandses, w/ good gunplay, more interesting weapon variations, interesting maps and locations, varied character skills (and much faster access to them), and lots of UI quality of life improvements.

The story is a nothing burger and it does make you sit through unskippable cutscenes in which you, the protagonist, consistently fail to appear. That is frustrating, especially on subsequent playthroughs.

But if you liked BL, BL2 and BL:TPS, BL3 is more and mostly better gameplay.

This probably doesn't move the needle much (Randy Pitchford is still a humongous douche) but cutscenes are skippable now.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

LET'S GOOOOOOOO BATTLE AGAINST A TRUE HERO

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Borderlands 3 is 50% off on Steam and being super late to the party has enabled me to buy it at this discount. Huzzah. I'll probably do a blind stream of it this weekend or something.
    ...it was this price when it launched on Steam. Good on you for waiting on that deal to come around again instead of paying full price, though.
    Ooohhhhhhhhh yeah, I forgot about that.

If it wasn't for what's-his-name being a complete tool I probably would've been willing to buy it at full price.

i did and i deeply deeply regret it. it's just not fun at all.

I am surprised by this assessment, as I usually am in close agreement w/ Magic Pink about the enjoyability of games.

BL3 is a treat. Mechanically it's the best of the Borderlandses, w/ good gunplay, more interesting weapon variations, interesting maps and locations, varied character skills (and much faster access to them), and lots of UI quality of life improvements.

The story is a nothing burger and it does make you sit through unskippable cutscenes in which you, the protagonist, consistently fail to appear. That is frustrating, especially on subsequent playthroughs.

But if you liked BL, BL2 and BL:TPS, BL3 is more and mostly better gameplay.

This probably doesn't move the needle much (Randy Pitchford is still a humongous douche) but cutscenes are skippable now.
    Also the DLC missions are better than the base game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I will not be fooled again by these lies.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I like BPM a lot but LORD am i bad at it. I can barely clear a single room

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    If you're using M+KB rebind Reload to your right mouse button (or left, whichever one isn't Shoot) made it a lot better for me, be sure to rebind the ability button though, cause it will clear it out and not warn you.

• Options
    If you're using M+KB rebind Reload to your right mouse button (or left, whichever one isn't Shoot) made it a lot better for me, be sure to rebind the ability button though, cause it will clear it out and not warn you.

Nah I have to use controller because of arthritis. And why in the world is reload TWO button presses instead of one? I can't get that to stick in my head.

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Some guns have different reloads, the shotgun has 3 taps before it reloads, the revolver you have to tap 6 times for a full reload etc etc.
    Rebind reload to the same shoulder for firing? if R2 is fire R1 for reload if its not already.

It was odd on KB because moving doesn't need rhythm, but reloading does and my brain wouldn't let me do it.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    Some guns have different reloads, the shotgun has 3 taps before it reloads, the revolver you have to tap 6 times for a full reload etc etc.
    Rebind reload to the same shoulder for firing? if R2 is fire R1 for reload if its not already.

It was odd on KB because moving doesn't need rhythm, but reloading does and my brain wouldn't let me do it.

I'm great with the rhythm but awful with the aiming. Reload on the same side as shoot would break my brain I think.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Man, Spiritfairer is just not doing anything for me so far. The gameplay is of course mindless busywork, but even the writing has seemed pretty nothing. I think I'm gonna keep going and see if it turns around because people have spoken so positively of it, but I'm pretty close to dropping it.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    The gameplay is of course mindless busywork,

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss, my precioussssssssssssssss

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Haha, speaking of, I just finished Spiritfarer last night

I loved it, overall, although the end was a bit of a slog (some of this is because I insisted on cooking every recipe and acquiring every outfit, of course, as those are the important things in video games for me)

Spoiler stuff for late game characters and the ending ending
    Elena sucks. Her story doesn't really connect at all, she's just a mean teacher who you have the vaguest of connections to and has some weird quirks like you can't just hug her and upgrade her house to make her happy. Honestly I feel like a lot of her material could have been subsumed by Buck.

Buck was an irritating character, because he was a giant nerd, but I grew to like him more over time. I like his role of being trapped in limbo for whatever reason, although I do wish there was a way to learn more about his human life. I know there's stuff on the wiki about him (and all of the characters) in more detail, but like, I can't judge that stuff if it's not actually in the game, y'know? I did enjoy his role as providing additional quests for once you've already completed all of the other people's stuff and are really just playing the game to be playing the game and forestalling your own eventual demise - this is where the Elena stuff feels like it would have been better suited to him. I also think you could have gotten more of the story he was supposed to have this way, if you wanted to.

The ending itself is a bit anticlimactic, which I'm fine with (although after my last two play sessions being "where the hell is this fish" and "what do you mean I haven't cooked every recipe in my recipe book", it was a bit frustrating), but I did really love the end credits song being the song that you're always playing done with lyrics. That's a really sweet touch.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    because I insisted on cooking every recipe and acquiring every outfit, of course, as those are the important things in video games for me

my long lost twin!

• Options
    These were my Spiritfarer credits

FB9mUflh.png

I didn't notice the music, but I rarely notice music in games anyway anymore.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Got my third tower in tyranny, I think I like this game a lot now

The equipment system is still way too busy for me but fortunately i haven't felt punished for not investing too much energy into it. Every couple missions or whenever I swap in a new party member I'll take a minute to go through everyone's items and swap in any new pieces with the most green numbers on the comparison screen

The only item thing I think I'm missing out on is artifacts, but I don't think I even have the materials to make the few I've found plans for

I spent all of my levels so far getting every upgrade to thrust so now its time to figure out which tree I actually want to invest in

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

The equipment system is still way too busy for me but fortunately i haven't felt punished for not investing too much energy into it. Every couple missions or whenever I swap in a new party member I'll take a minute to go through everyone's items and swap in any new pieces with the most green numbers on the comparison screen

The only item thing I think I'm missing out on is artifacts, but I don't think I even have the materials to make the few I've found plans for

I spent all of my levels so far getting every upgrade to thrust so now its time to figure out which tree I actually want to invest in

Wow this sounds neat. Isn't Tyranny like a Baldur's Gate game?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

It is, although it's designed a bit more modernly with like, cooldowns for abilities and skills leveling based on usage

Also honestly it's a lot shorter than most CRPGs, which I consider a huge point in its favor

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

It is, although it's designed a bit more modernly with like, cooldowns for abilities and skills leveling based on usage

Also honestly it's a lot shorter than most CRPGs, which I consider a huge point in its favor

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Options
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    The gameplay is of course mindless busywork,

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss, my precioussssssssssssssss
    I'm not sure how to take this.

• Options
    Stray Spiritfarer thoughts
    The more I think about this game the more I like Bruce and Mickey.

Which like, I know, right? They suck, they're mean to you, they bully the rest of your crew, they don't do anything helpful around the boat.

But learning their story, it's heartbreaking. These two inseparable brothers, this mouth and muscle small time mafia pairing, and then one of them gets put into a coma and the other just can't deal with it. The image of them I have is so perfect, this one wise guy sitting by his brother's bedside from all hours, calling out to the nurse that she needs to get his brother something that will make him comfortable, knowing in his heart that there's nothing there and that his brother isn't even really there any more.

It's a very specific sort of sad, I dunno. And I like their inclusion, ultimately. It's nice to show that not all of your patients as a palliative care nurse are going to be sweet old ladies that you become friends with over time. Sometimes your patients (or their relatives, in this case) are dicks, and it's still your job to try and make them comfortable.

There are a lot of other stories in the game that I think are quite good, but I think that might weirdly be the one I remember the most.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bethesda is far too cowardly but future Fallouts need much deeper cannibal mechanics, like what was the deal in 4 you kneel over a dead body and just like bite it a couple times, what vapid cartoonishness string that carcass up let the blood out and butcher it for gods sake

Theres hungry people out here and I have the meat they need! Meat for all!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You okay bud?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    No! I'm not! I am insufficiently catered to!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    L4D2 Last Stand update hits September 24th

https://youtu.be/bjnhx8Ip2Y8

New campaign starring the L4D1 crew, 26 new survival maps, 4 new scavenge maps, 2 new melee weapons (and the previously German-version-exclusive Counter-Strike weapons ( https://left4dead.fandom.com/wiki/International_Weapons ) are now available to everyone), 30 achievements, previously unused voicelines for everyone have been activated, tons of new and reworked animations including lots of overhauled gun animations and models, Versus mode balance and map changes, new menu UI, and hundreds of bug fixes and exploit fixes

Content was made by a community team, while Valve helped with coding and testing

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeXh9x0sUc

tl;dr from GamersNexus on the 3080 FE seems to be, nice card but power-intensive and the ray-tracing gains are less than you'd expect. not necessarily a linear upgrade from the 2080Ti if you own one already, but maybe worth a jump if you're a couple generations of graphics card back

I'm very much waiting on RDNA2, still

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I like BPM a lot but LORD am i bad at it. I can barely clear a single room

In the 30 mins I had a chance to play it I am consistently clearing regular rooms, and then shitting the bed on Challenge rooms and the first boss.

I even found an infinite ammo mod in one run so I never had to reload... and I still got melted by the boss. He doesn’t seem that hard, I just seem to lose all sense when I get to him.

I like the multi-tap reload, since as noted some guns have different reload rhythms.

I do wish I didn’t have to find out about the “sacrifice some health to pick up this bag of money” the hard way, but it certainly did teach me my lesson I won’t soon forget.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeXh9x0sUc

tl;dr from GamersNexus on the 3080 FE seems to be, nice card but power-intensive and the ray-tracing gains are less than you'd expect. not necessarily a linear upgrade from the 2080Ti if you own one already, but maybe worth a jump if you're a couple generations of graphics card back

I'm very much waiting on RDNA2, still

I feel like this is an outlier from what I've been reading about the 3080. The impression I've got is that it's a pretty significant increase over the 2080/2080ti, especially when you look at games with ray tracing. From what I've read the actual card is more power efficient than previous cards, but they added so much to the card that the total power draw went up from the 2080.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    at the end of the day it's a 14nm process card, still

a very, very big one

• Options
    Ya if you have a 20 series card than you're still good. It'll still play games really well.

I think it's something more attractive to people like me who have a 10 series or earlier card and straight up can't do ray tracing with my current card.

• Options

THE TAKEAWAY: BULLET POINTS FOR THIS REVIEW
    A better screen, both in pixel resolution and refresh rate.
    90Hz, but when? Facebook isn't clear about higher frame rate support.

More powerful wireless-VR hardware, which powers nifty under-the-hood tricks.

Less battery life. You'll barely exceed two hours of gaming on a single charge.

A cheaper, flimsier headstrap. You can pay more for a nicer one.

A baffling change to the "IPD" slider. Only certain skulls need apply.

The controllers are the same... but worse. I'm a bit shocked by this one.

The F-word. Yeah, we'll get into that.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Oculus has confirmed that the PC-specific Rift S will soon be discontinued, and that Quest 2 will be the company's sole headset model going forward. If you like wired-VR gaming, Quest 2 can work this way, but you'll need to use tape or a binding material to lock any side-hanging cord into place, lest you rip the cord out in the middle of a frantic VR game. Be warned: The official Oculus Link cable comes with a plastic attachment for such purposes... but it's only compatible with the Quest 1 strap.

lol straight to shiiiiiit
    The same service can flag the slightest weirdness in your attempts to connect real Oculus Store purchases with an account by the name of Guy Incognito.

Suspensions, invisible moderators, and rolling recordings

Should the latter happen, Facebook is clear: You can kiss your purchased software goodbye. The same goes for anyone who enters a Facebook-branded VR social zone, like Facebook Horizons or Facebook Venues, and breaks a Facebook ToS in those spaces. (Facebook says it's still working out the kinks in these policies, in terms of whether offending users will face "30-day suspensions" and what kind of software restrictions those may entail.)

On top of those issues, my Quest 2 tests have expanded upon what Facebook previously announced in terms of how they'll moderate their Facebook-branded social spaces. Facebook Venues' beta includes a notice that the app, at all times for all users, performs a "rolling recording" of everything you see, say, and do within VR, so that you can tap a button to upload that footage and report other users' behavior. (Facebook insists this recording happens entirely locally on your device.)

Even if you're minding your own business, your behavior may be tracked by invisible FB moderators.

Should you ever tap the "report" button, the app's terms confirm that Facebook is well within its rights to retain any data you upload for as long as they deem necessary, with no statute of limitations. A similar data-retention scenario emerges every single time you block or mute someone within VR. If a stranger approaches you and does something unwelcome, and you choose to proactively push back with built-in block or mute functions, Facebook may silently and invisibly sic a moderator upon the situation to see what happened and how you may have reacted or what you might have said or done in response.

Even worse, if someone "near" you in an official Facebook VR space blocks or reports a user, even if you're just minding your own business, your behavior (including motions and speech) may be tracked by these same silent, invisible Facebook moderators. That data can be stored on Facebook's servers indefinitely without you being notified.

If you'd like to learn whether anyone on Facebook's staff watched you within any of these apps and for how long, Facebook advises you to take off your headset and visit the catch-all URL of facebook.com/support for more information. From there, you have to figure out where exactly to file such a request. (So far, searches for Facebook Venues at that site turn up zero results.)

As we at Ars Technica know, that kind of constant data collection is a bonafide recipe for disaster. If you're looking to reduce stress on your VR apps' servers, Facebook, policies like these are a good start, because I certainly won't be using that app again.

amazing

Brolo on
  • Options
    Oculus could make the single greatest vr headset of all time and the fact that I have to connect it to my facebook account to use it and all the shit that comes with that means I will never buy one.

I never want to connect my facebook account to anything.

This discussion has been closed.