As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's not about the destination, but the journey.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Softbank may actually be my most hated megacorp, not least because they often get to fly under the radar on a lot of shit. Blech.

I thought it was interesting that they attempted to spin off the mobile portion, but couldn't.

Just interesting to see what will happen to NVidia when the major share-holder is no longer in the US, if there are no similar protections required by the DOJ (lol), or FTC.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    EXTREME

GAMING

CHAIR

(buy it here; $1,900 + $1,100 shipping(!) )

djmitchella on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Glad to know the american law enforcement structure is pants on head and proud of tiny fake "busts" at every level.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Glad to know the american law enforcement structure is pants on head and proud of tiny fake "busts" at every level.

x64sm3k21mqo.jpg

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    EXTREME

GAMING

CHAIR

(buy it here; $1,900 + $1,100 shipping(!) )

Getting some good NOD vibes off this chair

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Outside of small use cases for people who can't otherwise use a phone/computer I am still baffled anyone buys those things willingly.

I like it for controlling my lights and stuff, checking the weather, and the wife and I play Jeopardy on it all the time. Also we got dots for my and my wife's office and we use the drop in feature to talk to one another. I know it has potential to be a huge security or privacy risk, but my phone and tablet are just as bad if not worse, and I use those so why not.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    actually, I say fooey to the scorpion chair, now that I've found the "IMPERATOR WORKS IW-J20 PRO"

IxdQlbu.jpeg

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That doesn't look particularly comfortable

ql4gndj04ps5.jpg

heck yeah Gamer Chairs

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    He seems to be using an occulus

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We were made aware by Mr. Volodymyr of a server misconfiguration that potentially exposed order details, customer and shipping information. No other sensitive data such as credit card numbers or passwords was exposed.

...but they can bet their ass anyone with a port scanner or a Shodan account already exfiltrated all the data in there.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Apple appears to be moving away from including chargers with their devices. Their argument is that if you buy a second Apple device but already have a charger, they're just producing unnecessary e-waste.

This is enraging because I completely agree with them, but it also saves them millions of dollars. I guess the only thing that will make me happy is for them to include both a new charger and a prepaid envelope that will let you send back your new charger in exchange for a crisp twenty dollar bill.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well the shitty part is that they'll keep the price of their devices the same, sans charger, and then charge another $40 for the charger.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well the shitty part is that they'll keep the price of their devices the same, sans charger, and then charge another $40 for the charger.

Also like, What if I have an iPad and an iPhone and want to charge them both? Or my wife and I both have iPads?

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Apple appears to be moving away from including chargers with their devices. Their argument is that if you buy a second Apple device but already have a charger, they're just producing unnecessary e-waste.

This is enraging because I completely agree with them, but it also saves them millions of dollars. I guess the only thing that will make me happy is for them to include both a new charger and a prepaid envelope that will let you send back your new charger in exchange for a crisp twenty dollar bill.

I believe it's also an EU regulation that they cannot include a charger because of all the ewaste from unnecessary chargers being included in things. I agree it sucks in specific circumtances, but really.. how many things do you have with a USB port facing out? Also, they only put in basic chargers, never the fast chargers.. so at least now if you do need to pick one up you can get the good one.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

I believe it's also an EU regulation that they cannot include a charger because of all the ewaste from unnecessary chargers being included in things. I agree it sucks in specific circumtances, but really.. how many things do you have with a USB port facing out? Also, they only put in basic chargers, never the fast chargers.. so at least now if you do need to pick one up you can get the good one.

Yea i just have a few nice multi port usb chargers. Plug whatever i want into those.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    CBP are holding firm, saying that they believe the buds in question are still in infringment of the Airpods trademark.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/9/14/21436760/us-customs-statement-oneplus-buds-seized-apple-airpod-trademarks

It's certainly true that stylistic product designs can be trademarked (the "hourglass" coke bottle design being one of the most famous examples). However, IANA(T)L but the Airpods trademark filing doesn't appear to include any product design details.

https://trademarks.justia.com/867/64/airpods-86764566.html

It's also fairly obvious that there's no real attempt at "passing off" i.e. the legal test that a "person in a hurry" would confuse the two products at purchase.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That's because CBP are assholes who can never ever be wrong and even daring to challenge them is tantamount to treason in their eyes.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    System fails to boot to Windows 10, boot media not detected.

main drive is still detected by the BIOS

corrupt boot sector?

chances of being able to resolve this without hardware changes? I have recovery discs

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

corrupt boot sector?

chances of being able to resolve this without hardware changes? I have recovery discs

run a checkdisk to get those sectors marked as bad then repair your windows install, probably 90%+ chance it can be recovered

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Yeah, that's my conflict. I don't actually want another Apple charger, but I powerfully want them to owe me one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    bowen wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

corrupt boot sector?

run a checkdisk to get those sectors marked as bad then repair your windows install, probably 90%+ chance it can be recovered

my windows 10 installation dvd seems to be not able to provide these recovery utilities? If I use this disc is just spins for a few minutes then gives up

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lol i can't get to the page from my Mac.

But if you go here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

There is a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool you can download, it makes a USB stick a bootable usb with the windows 10 repair tools on it you can use to do the test.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    On the earbuds I'm very curious now if this is Customs doubling down on stupid, OR if this is apples shot across the bow of "we are running more than you know, do not mess with our IP or even come within sniffing" Is this basic murrica dumb, or is this the new cyberpunk dystopia megacorp dumb?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Probably more China Bad, USA Good tradewar dickwaving shit than anything else.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I got the impression from the original tweets the customs people decided they were counterfeits on their own and apple's not involved but I don't know the actual story beyond the tweets

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Power drain is also a good thing to try when hardware starts acting funky, but hard drive you're probably better off doing chkdsk and whatever

although my daughter doesn't call us alexa, I think it's now a rite of passage to try and figure out wtf your toddler is saying, when in reality they are just demanding that baby shark be played by something, anything

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

That's not how you spell $120

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

If it wasn't already clear, humanity is doomed

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

If it wasn't already clear, humanity is doomed

Humanity was doomed the very instant it began existence.

No matter who you are, no matter what you do, no matter how much you might be loved or hated, entropy always wins.

Eat at Arby's.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    A co-worker of mine changed the PIN on their iPad because their young daughter was spending too much time with it.

Said daughter then picked up the iPad and quickly worked out the old PIN wasn't working - but had a bright idea.

"Hey Siri, can you tell me the new PIN number?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that"

"Siri, you're not being very helpful!"

Open the pod bay doors, Siri.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Re: chargers they should be forced to do what power tool companies do. Sell a SKU with a charger, and one without

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Open the pod bay doors, Siri.

I just tried this and Siri actually says a relevant response. It isn’t, “I can’t do that Dave,” but they definitely gave it an answer.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.