As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    omg they're 2 already!?

Where the hell as the time that also feels like it's stood still gone!?!

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    omg they're 2 already!?

Where the hell as the time that also feels like it's stood still gone!?!

He's 15 months, the first picture is from IVF implantation so that's technically when my wife got pregnant. We were allowed to take a picture of him as a 5 day old blastocyst!

But yeah it's crazy how quick it's gone, because it's been over two years since I got my test results which revealed my fertility issues and this forums was essential in helping me process everything, so thanks everyone :)

SharpyVII on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My son keeps calling marshmallows "mushrooms". He's now telling me marshmallows are made of mushrooms with all the earnestness a 4 year old can muster.

Sounds like of you can't refute his argument you should consider he's right

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My youngest has special needs, so she goes into school for most days of the week. Today is her first day but it's online and they're going over how to do social distancing for the start of in-person classes tomorrow. One of the things is to remind kids they can't touch each other or teachers--e.g. no hi fives or hugs.

One of the new high fives they've taught is the "rocket" high five which reminds me so much of Demolition Man I'm trying not to giggle in the background while they practice.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I was able to get my son to sit at the table his iPad was on for zoom class by placing toys on the table.
    This is going to go well.
    Next time, maybe he'll look at the teacher.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    "Put that down, stop touching the screen, take your fingers out of your mouth, sit up, don't pick your nose, *don't put your fingers in your mouth*, leave your brother alone, look at your teacher please, focus, *f-o-c-u-s* buddy, stop changing the view, now be respectful of your friends please, now isn't the time to make faces dude, stop petting the dog, look at the screen, *put that down*, *pay attention*, focus buddy *please*"

(suddenly notices lack of whiskey in his coffee)

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Rant
    Looking up articles or advice or whatever for a 3 year old that takes forever to eat (not that he’s getting down from the table and playing, just that he chews a single bite for 5 minutes before swallowing) and the first 3-4 articles I read all suggest something along the lines of “Just enjoy the time you’re spending with your child. Soon enough you won’t be able to get them to sit with you so it’s fine if they take a while” and...

Whoever wrote that can get bent. There’s no way to “just enjoy” 60-90 mins for a simple dinner. I’ve got other shit to do. The longer this goes the closer the end of dinner gets to bath time/bedtime, and he won’t sleep if he just finished dinner and then has to go to bed an hour later.

Yeah, I could try cooking earlier while he’s napping, and then reheat it after he’s had his post-nap playtime (thus initiating dinner earlier), but I also like that his nap time is my Me-Time, and I have a chance to finish my own school work or play a game or something.

But anyway, “just let dinner take forever” isn’t the answer I was looking for. Wish I could easily downvote or block websites like I can with YT videos. If that’s their best answer for this problem, I don’t want to accidentally see their thoughts on anything else
    Grumble grumble

Yeah, my classes all started with a lot of screaming and hiding. Lucky every thing was muted. Eventually I coaxed her to sit down with some raisins but then when the teacher went over the rules "no food" was one of then. Jeeeeez

Not exactly the best start but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Rant
    Looking up articles or advice or whatever for a 3 year old that takes forever to eat (not that he’s getting down from the table and playing, just that he chews a single bite for 5 minutes before swallowing) and the first 3-4 articles I read all suggest something along the lines of “Just enjoy the time you’re spending with your child. Soon enough you won’t be able to get them to sit with you so it’s fine if they take a while” and...

Whoever wrote that can get bent. There’s no way to “just enjoy” 60-90 mins for a simple dinner. I’ve got other shit to do. The longer this goes the closer the end of dinner gets to bath time/bedtime, and he won’t sleep if he just finished dinner and then has to go to bed an hour later.

Yeah, I could try cooking earlier while he’s napping, and then reheat it after he’s had his post-nap playtime (thus initiating dinner earlier), but I also like that his nap time is my Me-Time, and I have a chance to finish my own school work or play a game or something.

But anyway, “just let dinner take forever” isn’t the answer I was looking for. Wish I could easily downvote or block websites like I can with YT videos. If that’s their best answer for this problem, I don’t want to accidentally see their thoughts on anything else
    Grumble grumble

We just started setting time limits. Don't eat in time? Too bad.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Rant

Grumble grumble

We just started setting time limits. Don't eat in time? Too bad.

This is what we had to do as well. Only way to get Sapling to eat at meal times. Even then it's not always great. But our pediatrician basically said "if she's hungry, she'll eat."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Next to sleep, eating is one of those things people really over think. If the kid takes too long to eat set a time limit or just set up snacks throughout the day. Or just tell them you are going to do something else and let them eat in peace.

Sometimes Ripley eats like a giant other times she eats two bites and wants to leave. We don't force her to stay at the table and sometimes she just anyway to hang out sometimes she goes to play. Our boundaries are she doesn't get another meal made for her and she doesn't watch TV.

Sometimes if she's having a great time doing something else we will just set up like a little snack plate and let her graze all day. If I'm in the middle of something interesting I don't think twice about taking my meal elsewhere.

Frankly, that whole idea of the family sitting together for a meal at the same time is outdated and stressful.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    A loooot of teachers in my kid's district resigned in the past few days because the hybrid model is such a joke.

I'm torn because my special needs child really really does poorly with remote learning, but I can't say I blame the teachers either.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    A loooot of teachers in my kid's district resigned in the past few days because the hybrid model is such a joke.

I'm torn because my special needs child really really does poorly with remote learning, but I can't say I blame the teachers either.

I feel this. My kids will not learn remotely. I'm not sure what to do, really

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Next to sleep, eating is one of those things people really over think. If the kid takes too long to eat set a time limit or just set up snacks throughout the day. Or just tell them you are going to do something else and let them eat in peace.

Sometimes Ripley eats like a giant other times she eats two bites and wants to leave. We don't force her to stay at the table and sometimes she just anyway to hang out sometimes she goes to play. Our boundaries are she doesn't get another meal made for her and she doesn't watch TV.

Sometimes if she's having a great time doing something else we will just set up like a little snack plate and let her graze all day. If I'm in the middle of something interesting I don't think twice about taking my meal elsewhere.

Frankly, that whole idea of the family sitting together for a meal at the same time is outdated and stressful.

Eh. I think there is value is a family meal. But it's not worth stressing much over

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

I feel this. My kids will not learn remotely. I'm not sure what to do, really

Me neither. :bro:

Son's covid test came back negative on Monday.

Has gone in to nursery today for the first time.

Nursery have rang to say he has a temp and we need to collect him and arrange a new test despite only testing negative the other day.

I understand the nursery has to be super careful but this is going to be very hard to navigate. I'm not super keen on making him have another test because he bled alot last time and traumatised him.

So it looks like he can't go for two weeks.

Makes me think it'll be easier just to not send him in for the foreseeable future.

Also it's not like we can get a test anyways, thanks Boris!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Nursery have rang to say he has a temp and we need to collect him and arrange a new test despite only testing negative the other day.

I understand the nursery has to be super careful but this is going to be very hard to navigate. I'm not super keen on making him have another test because he bled alot last time and traumatised him.

Makes me think it'll be easier just to not send him in for the foreseeable future.

hmmm. So like, kids going to daycare/nursery/whatever are going to get sick a lot. It's just how that works. Requiring a negative test every time there's a symptom is.... aggressive. Not even saying I disagree with the precaution, but that's just going to be a lot of frequent tests by everyone there.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

hmmm. So like, kids going to daycare/nursery/whatever are going to get sick a lot. It's just how that works. Requiring a negative test every time there's a symptom is.... aggressive. Not even saying I disagree with the precaution, but that's just going to be a lot of frequent tests by everyone there.

It would honestly be more reasonable to not have any kind of daycare/nursery type stuff until there's an approved treatment for covid, to be honest. Then again, I also think there should be no in person school right now either.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know this is every thread but the whiplash in here between "ha ha parenting right" and "oh man the world really is fucked right now" is a real trip, I love you all and you're all doing a great job and your kids will be fine.

But related to the eating thing, one of my Shark Tank ideas that will never be is a Fisher-Price Buffet, just a little three or four item buffet station scaled for a two to three year old that you could plug in to keep things cool and keep moderately stocked with cheerios and string cheese and cherry tomatoes and never have to worry about actually having a meal time for them again. It would have saved so much work with my first kid.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So this was emailed out and I feel a bit better sticking to my guns and keeping the 15 year old home.

“ Good evening Seahawk families. This is Mr. Cloyd, Principal at Sunlake High School. I have been notified of a positive case of COVID-19 at our school. We are notifying all parents, guardians, and staff as a courtesy. The individual has not been on campus this week, so there is no need for any quarantines at this time. Please support our efforts to keep our students and staff healthy. Screen your student daily using the student screener and contact a medical provider for further guidance if your student develops symptoms or you need medical guidance. COVID-19 testing is available in the community. Contact the school nurse or your child's administrator immediately if your student receives a positive COVID-19 test result. As always, the health and safety or our students is important to us.”

The interesting part of this, to me, was “Testing is available in the community”. Also, when they send out the positive notices, they blast them. This was only an email, not followed by a text like normal.

50433.png?1708759015
    Peen wrote: »
    I know this is every thread but the whiplash in here between "ha ha parenting right" and "oh man the world really is fucked right now" is a real trip, I love you all and you're all doing a great job and your kids will be fine.

But related to the eating thing, one of my Shark Tank ideas that will never be is a Fisher-Price Buffet, just a little three or four item buffet station scaled for a two to three year old that you could plug in to keep things cool and keep moderately stocked with cheerios and string cheese and cherry tomatoes and never have to worry about actually having a meal time for them again. It would have saved so much work with my first kid.

Mine is baby/kid tranq darts. I think the market is pretty much limitless.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oh man, if I could tranq Middle Guy every single morning just before he starts running in circles screaming after the dog? Like, just a *mild* one? Oh man

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I’ve always supported a child-size gerbil wheel to power the house and/or city.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    kime wrote: »

Yeah, I definitely appreciate that they're being cautious but they said that his temperature was in the fever range but an hour later when he was home he was within the normal range.

They use those laser pointer thermometers which aren't as accurate but they're not budging unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind so much if we could get a test quickly but I've been constantly checking the website since he got home and nothing has come up.

I'd definitely prefer to just not send him in but as I can't work from home my wife would have to deal with him and work at the same time and the four months she did that during lock down was horrendous for her.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Feel for all the parents out there dealing with learning and Covid. Our lockdown was intense and we were quite relieved that when it was all done we were able to send our boys back to school/preschool again without much concern; it definitely added to the household levels of sanity. Sorry for everyone else out there that still has to deal with this in their communities, as opposed to just on the news.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to think of what to do for Halloween in terms of outdoor decorations.

My 'high concept' was to put 2 or 3 tombstones made to look like children, then each night I would go out and read Scary Stories to them.

Maybe on Halloween I was going to dig up one of the graves and eat some chicken or ribs while I read to the remaining graves.

Daughter said to make it seem more real, I shouldn't read Scary Stories but just kids books.
    She's definitely my daughter.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I got juked by my kid today and she paid for it.

We play Flap flap, which is where she gets on a raised object and jumps off for me to catch her while she flaps her arms and says FLAP FLAP!

Today we were are the park playing it on the 5.5' platform that also connects to the tall slide. Athena started going up the stairs to slide so I took the opportunity to get my phone out to turn out some chill tunes.

Next thing I hear is a whump and a moment of stunned silence from Athena before she starts crying. She calmed down pretty quick and only limped for a couple minutes. She also plays Flap Flap some more after that, so she hasn't lost all trust in her old man.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I don't think daycare or schools have a choice when it comes to testing. The United States refuses to provide any measure of financial security to parents and we don't have the political will to change that.

You've got to work to eat and provide shelter and all that shit and you can't work without daycare or school.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I got juked by my kid today and she paid for it.

We play Flap flap, which is where she gets on a raised object and jumps off for me to catch her while she flaps her arms and says FLAP FLAP!

Today we were are the park playing it on the 5.5' platform that also connects to the tall slide. Athena started going up the stairs to slide so I took the opportunity to get my phone out to turn out some chill tunes.

Next thing I hear is a whump and a moment of stunned silence from Athena before she starts crying. She calmed down pretty quick and only limped for a couple minutes. She also plays Flap Flap some more after that, so she hasn't lost all trust in her old man.

I don't remember exactly how old I was, but we were at a family friends house, and I was running down the hallway and jumping and my dad would catch me. We had been doing it for a bit, and I was starting to slow down, and after the last one I stopped or w/e before slowly slinking down the hallway, so he thought we were done. All of a sudden I come jumping out of no where shouting "Papa, catch me!" and he ducks! Unfortunately, he had been sitting front of our friends stone mantlepiece this whole time, so I banged into that, and stuck a tooth through my lip. I don't really remember the event at all, but I have a scar from it, so they've told me the story over the years, and I love reminding him of it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    My son decided to go upstairs around 9 pm, and all of a sudden we hear some wood scraping so up we go to check on him. Moments before he went upstairs he'd had a diaper change, and he hadn't gotten his pants back on. Well, he had moved a chair over to the dresser, gotten out an exact duplicate of those pants, and was in the middle of putting them on when we got up there.

"Tada guys! See, I did it!" he says. (although it was more like 'tadaguyth! see, ahdidit!')

Also, he woke up the other day, came downstairs, took the Switch off the cradle, and started up Hollow Knight which is his favorite game to watch Mama play.

I swear any day now I'm going to come downstairs to him sitting there playing games with a bowl of cereal and I won't even know he got up. Not any time soon, mind you, he has not learned the skill of a quite departure. :lol:

Can't sleep. Both kids throwing up. Just when I got one back to sleep at 3am the other one woke up.

Can't sleep. Both kids throwing up. Just when I got one back to sleep at 3am the other one woke up.

:bro:
    That sucks man, I'm sorry.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    At the dentists filling out the questionnaire:

Mom, jokingly: Hey Little King, do you have any allergies?
    A 4 year old boy, serious- Yes. Lions.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Today in 2020 stuff: my kids are playing videogames and I just had to say "you guys are a goose cooperative, you (older child) are not the goose boss."

It gets real once they can open doors and shit.

Open doors, untie ties, climb virtually anything . . . and the puzzle solving. Like finding out all the things one can reach with a chair.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    We have tried about ten different kinds of child locks, and the only ones that work only work because they're incredibly difficult to reach.

Or those doorknob shells that require longer fingers than the kids have, but grandparents have trouble opening them as well, which makes babysitting difficult.

Taramoor on
    Taramoor wrote: »
    We have tried about ten different kinds of child locks, and the only ones that work only work because they're incredibly difficult to reach.

Or those doorknob shells that require longer fingers than the kids have, but grandparents have trouble opening them as well, which makes babysitting difficult.

Our wee one has figured out that the proper amount of pressure applied to the hole in the front formed by the two halves of the shell can effectively pull the shell right off the doorknob. He puts his tiny fingers on the inside and puts a bit of a twist and the shell just . . . pops. It requires all his effort, so it's not commonly worth it, but I've watched him do it.

Kalnaur wrote: »

Open doors, untie ties, climb virtually anything . . . and the puzzle solving. Like finding out all the things one can reach with a chair.

The first time I saw Ripley move her step stool from the bathroom sink to her room to climb up her dresser it was like seeing velociraptor open a door for the first time.