As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

1293031323335»

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I will also probably be waiting but I'm pretty excited to see where they go with it. I always liked the way spotlights helped flesh out the universe but allowed the main story to progress, hopefully this works in a similar capacity

Edit: the devastator shadow cover is awesome

WingedWeasel on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So far I'm really liking some of the worldbuilding they do. I especially like the "mentorship" idea, as it allows them to build familar ties without needing the direct reproduction aspect. It's something I generally hope to see continue beyond this continuity.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Looks like a fan favorite IDW character is making her first appearance in the new continuity. (Also a character who I've wanted to see in fiction a long time.)

...is that a belly button?

Some SDCC news.

Next Galaxies arc after Constructicons Rising will be focused on Arcee & Greenlight. (#7-9) and then a Ultra Magnus story (#10-12)

Also new GI Joe and ROM series, but I'm not clear if they're in their own continuity if they're doing a shared thing again.

edited July 2019
    I saw rumors that the Netflix transformers show is going to tie into the comics. Anyone see something concrete for that?

Edit: related to scottsman's post

WingedWeasel on
    Only thing I've seen about that, WingedWeasel, was this
    Q: To Easton, about the comic and the Transformers TV show he is working on for Netflix. "Is it two different stories?"

A: Easton says "No. Everything is smooth."

Cryptic!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I bought and read the first 6 issues of the new story. It honestly feels like it is going way too slow, and one part confused the heck out of me. Not to mention that I feel that it really should not be called a comic and more like an free comic book issue since it is so short.
    Is Orion Pax talking to the bot in the wall in current time or a flashback? Parts seem to be in a flashback while others seem to be current.

On the other side it is a whole lot more story and fleshing out that is good. I agree that the Mentorship program is neat. Partially confused about the War that Megatron and Pax talk about. Hopefully that will be expanded upon.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ok, so I bought and read the first 6 issues of the new story. It honestly feels like it is going way too slow, and one part confused the heck out of me. Not to mention that I feel that it really should not be called a comic and more like an free comic book issue since it is so short.
    Is Orion Pax talking to the bot in the wall in current time or a flashback? Parts seem to be in a flashback while others seem to be current.

On the other side it is a whole lot more story and fleshing out that is good. I agree that the Mentorship program is neat. Partially confused about the War that Megatron and Pax talk about. Hopefully that will be expanded upon.
    IIRC, Orion mentions he's leaving for a chat in an earlier issue and then comes back, we don' t know what the coversation was about until that issue happens.

IIRC, Orion mentions he's leaving for a chat in an earlier issue and then comes back, we don' t know what the coversation was about until that issue happens.
    Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited September 2019
    Latest issue of the ongoing was really good. It starred Nautica, who is a xeno-relations expert, and Road Rage as her bodyguard. It was cool to see a new interpretation of Nautica (really wish I had gotten her toy when it was available) and it's great to see Road Rage finally get a big role since her creation 17 years ago. She has a masterpiece toy for crying out loud!

The TF/Ghostbusters crossover has been very good so far, though a teensy bit slow. Also has probably the closest thing I've seen to original G1 toon prime, like, ever. He's got that larger-than-life persona while still being able to banter and tell jokes. This definitely feels like a Prime who would play some b-ball with the bots under his command.

Undead Scottsman on

I was very confused by a lot of tweets until I finally found this. Very curious about this

Yep, that was inevitable.

oosik_betsuni.png
    This is a very good cover:
    (Story is Cliffjumper getting sent on a diplomatic mission because they wanted Bumblebee, but Bumblebee was unavailable, they send Cliffjumper to impersonate Bee.)

Transformers are on sale on Comixology. The sale ends 4/6/2020.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=33799&lang=1

oosik_betsuni.png
    Galaxies is ending with issue #12 (part 3 of the Ultra Magnus story)

Bummer, but looking at the available sales info and it wasn't lighting the world on fire BEFORE the pandemic, so I can see how it'd be on the chopping block once the belt tightening happens.

I haven't been paying attention to the comics lately, what is this series?

oosik_betsuni.png
    It was an anthology companion to the main IDW reboot series. Basically the spotlights, but with multi-issue stories.

It was an anthology companion to the main IDW reboot series. Basically the spotlights, but with multi-issue stories.

Oh that sucks then. Yeah I understand now why you said it makes sense, just sucks for anyone trying to catch up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    After seeing the awesome trailer Netflix Japan got for Siege, I'd resolved to watch it in Japanese, since to me it's already the lingua franca of heroic/diabolic monologuing.

Sadly, it's not available in the US, so I watched it in German, which is also fine, even if it's a bit incongruous to hear something like "Es tut mir leid, Optimus Prime."

So far it's decent. There's a weird undercurrent of things being a race war/genocide that doesn't totally gel with the obvious "choose a side" message they're pushing, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

New miniseries announced.

IDW Publishing has announced a new five-part miniseries titled Transformers: Escape, which will examine Cybertron's civil war from the viewpoint of the Autobots, Decepticons and the innocent civilians caught in their crossfire.

Written by current Transformers writer Brian Ruckley and illustrated by Bethany McGuire-Smith, the five-part Transformers: Escape goes on sale in December. The series features Cybertron's greatest scientists, including Wheeljack, Hound and Nautica, attempt to reactivate the Ark program so they can evacuate the planet with huge spaceships. The question is with Cyberton on the verge of war, will their efforts be enough?

Interesting. Here I figured that IDW would do a Shattered Glass type mini story since Hasbro is bringing toys out about it and dropped their name (when the original was not theirs).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Interesting. Here I figured that IDW would do a Shattered Glass type mini story since Hasbro is bringing toys out about it and dropped their name (when the original was not theirs).

There's like four Transformers comics going on right now. (TF ongoing, Galaxies ongoing (to be replaced with Escape), Transformers vs Terminator mini, Tranformers/MLP mini.) Transformers/BTTF will likely be filling TFvTerminator's slot, so a SHattered Glass comic could replace the MLP miniseries.

There's like four Transformers comics going on right now. (TF ongoing, Galaxies ongoing (to be replaced with Escape), Transformers vs Terminator mini, Tranformers/MLP mini.) Transformers/BTTF will likely be filling TFvTerminator's slot, so a SHattered Glass comic could replace the MLP miniseries.

Yeah, I'm wating for the Back to the Future one and checking that one out. Good to know that perhaps Shattered Glass could replace the MLP one next.

I've sort of lost track of the Transformers after reading the first few issues of the reboot. Something about another reboot of the series just is turning me off now that I didn't think was possible.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The ongoing started with some great concepts, but the pacing kind of drug its feet for most of the first year. Multiple delays, and then the big COVID delay also disrupted the pacing.

Transormers: Galaxies has been more miss than hit. the Constructicon story was forgettable and badly paced, the Cliffjumper story was good, and the Gauge/Arcee/Greenlight story could have been good but meandered too long and ends with a wet fart. The Ultra Magnus story seems ok so far.

The Valentine's Day special was great.

I feel like IDW1 was doing much better after the first year and a half, but that might just be nostalgia.

The ongoing started with some great concepts, but the pacing kind of drug its feet for most of the first year. Multiple delays, and then the big COVID delay also disrupted the pacing.

Transormers: Galaxies has been more miss than hit. the Constructicon story was forgettable and badly paced, the Cliffjumper story was good, and the Gauge/Arcee/Greenlight story could have been good but meandered too long and ends with a wet fart. The Ultra Magnus story seems ok so far.

The Valentine's Day special was great.

I feel like IDW1 was doing much better after the first year and a half, but that might just be nostalgia.

Yeah, I think the writers just got bored or ran out of ideas with the Transformers. There's only so much you can do with them at this point. Maybe I'll go check out that Valentine's Day special.

oosik_betsuni.png
    There was plenty of fresh ideas in IDW2; starting with pre-war cybertron, creating parental relationships via the mentor/mentee custom, Cybertron as a cultural hub for the galaxy where machines and organics live together, tying the energy crisis to the ending of cybertron expansionism (instead of being caused by it) thus tying the eventual shape of the Decepticons to a more reasonable poltical beginnings.

It's honestly, IMO, the best foundation a G1 story has had since Simon Furman rewrote the book in the original IDW comics and is reminiscent of the additions to the canon that we found in IDW Phase 2. The problem is they just established that stuff and kinda stewed in it for like 12-18 issues. That said, I imagine reading it in one go rather than once a month (or less, thanks delays!) would allievate some of the pacing issues and the story has been picking up recently so the single issues are hitting better.

There was plenty of fresh ideas in IDW2; starting with pre-war cybertron, creating parental relationships via the mentor/mentee custom, Cybertron as a cultural hub for the galaxy where machines and organics live together, tying the energy crisis to the ending of cybertron expansionism (instead of being caused by it) thus tying the eventual shape of the Decepticons to a more reasonable poltical beginnings.

It's honestly, IMO, the best foundation a G1 story has had since Simon Furman rewrote the book in the original IDW comics and is reminiscent of the additions to the canon that we found in IDW Phase 2. The problem is they just established that stuff and kinda stewed in it for like 12-18 issues. That said, I imagine reading it in one go rather than once a month (or less, thanks delays!) would allievate some of the pacing issues and the story has been picking up recently so the single issues are hitting better.

Ah that's good then. I only got through Issue 6 and was partially annoyed with parts of it. I think it would also be good for me to read in a combined book rather than individual issues (especially since half the "comic" is another series that I have no interest in).

oosik_betsuni.png
    I have no idea the story for beast wars so this will be interesting for me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Oh man, if you're okay with children's programming and can stand the mid-90's TV CG animation, I highly recommend checking out the original Beast Wars. Easily top 3 all-time best Transformers series.

Oh man, if you're okay with children's programming and can stand the mid-90's TV CG animation, I highly recommend checking out the original Beast Wars. Easily top 3 all-time best Transformers series.

It is on my to-do eventually list... Just have way too many other things ahead of it I think. But yeah, I always wanted to check it out.

oosik_betsuni.png