As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone Connects to Home Wifi. Wifi works for ten seconds, then stops. Why?!

NikeemAsurNikeemAsur Registered User new member
Hi Friends,

I've scoured the internet and have found no answer to this confounding question.

In June, Comcast setup my internet at home, new router, new connection, new account, the whole shebang. We named the Wifi Network the same as it was at the old apartment to make re-connecting everything easier.

This worked like a charm, except for on my phone.

For some reason on my iPhone 11 when I connect to the network - ChickenFarmerMolly - I only have internet for a few seconds before nothing resolves and I can't get a connection. Apps don't load, can't send picture texts, nothing.

I've reset network settings, tried using a manual IP address, and even a manual DNS server. Alas, there's no luck here.

Could it be because the network name is the same as the old one, my phone is confused?

I like to think I'm pretty tech savy and have tried most common troubleshooting steps (resetting the modem, powering on and off).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Me

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    When you say you reset network settings, did you actually go into the iPhone and tell it to forget the network? Usually this happens because it's holding onto a setting from the old router (was AES/TKIP, now just AES for instance) and losing its mind.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NikeemAsurNikeemAsur Registered User new member
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    When you say you reset network settings, did you actually go into the iPhone and tell it to forget the network? Usually this happens because it's holding onto a setting from the old router (was AES/TKIP, now just AES for instance) and losing its mind.

I sure have. I forgot the network and reset my phone's actual network settings (thus forgetting all networks). I was thinking I could just change my router's name but at the moment cannot due to how my comcast is setup with the building.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Try shutting off a few other devices. An issue I keep running into with Charter routers is a late-90's address limitation that doesn't leave room to connect a typical home today. Because phones routinely disconnect and reconnect as you leave and return, they're usually the things that get the short straw.

Hevach on