As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Additionally, if they refuse to give you your car keys for the actual car you bought, I would think that amounts to outright auto theft. It's your car, the paperwork says you own it, and they're withholding it despite having absolutely no legal standing to do so. You should have very real legal standing to call the cops and have them force the dealership to give you the vehicle, should they choose to withhold it for any reason. You might seriously want to call your local police department and discuss it with them.

This sounds less like the dealership being skeezy and more like a car salesman who fucked up and doesn't want to own up to it, up to and including falsifying documents to cover their ass. I'm wondering how quickly the tune would change if you started calling some different people at the dealership and asked them why the person in question is asking you to falsify information on a legal form.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    . I'm wondering how quickly the tune would change if you started calling some different people at the dealership and asked them why the person in question is asking you to falsify information on a legal form.

This is my plan if they don't capitulate.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I don't know the full details, and I know when I've posted problems here it's hard to fully communicate the situation. However, that said, every time I have gone to a dealership I have been fucked. Bad repairs, overcharged, etc., etc. I wouldn't trust any dealership as far as I can throw them.

• Options
    I refused to sign anything that wasn't factually accurate and after about 15 minutes of that they just gave me the other car.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    I refused to sign anything that wasn't factually accurate and after about 15 minutes of that they just gave me the other car.

On top of the fact that you punked them for being assholes, this whole situation means somebody out there is now going to get a ridiculously good deal on "used" car that is just a shade less than brand-new.

Haha, if you really wanted to dick with them, see how much they were going to ask for that car now and float it out there that you were thinking of a second vehicle anyway... for the right price.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I was thinking about that on the way home!

But I'm super tall and it's not the best car for me, though my wife loves it.

I'm still not convinced that they were trying to be assholes about it in a trying-to-hose-me sort of way (more like cutting corners and being sloppy when that's what got them here), so I don't really savor the outcome. I'm just glad I don't have to get a new title and registration.

Doc on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    I picked up a new CR-V a couple of weeks ago and I dig it. They did a really nice blue this year, almost the same color as my Honda CB500F. Rides nice, good MPG, lots of cargo room.

[img][/img]GT4170Vh.jpg

The picture doesn't really do it justice, it's basically Klein Blue when you see it.

Would you say you're level 7 susceptible?

I didn't get this at the time and since went to look it up

*looks at av*

mayyybeeeeeeeee

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    I picked up a new CR-V a couple of weeks ago and I dig it. They did a really nice blue this year, almost the same color as my Honda CB500F. Rides nice, good MPG, lots of cargo room.

[img][/img]GT4170Vh.jpg

The picture doesn't really do it justice, it's basically Klein Blue when you see it.

Would you say you're level 7 susceptible?

I didn't get this at the time and since went to look it up

*looks at av*

mayyybeeeeeeeee

Not that I can say anything. I'm basically the JDM version of that. I have a N-Box already and considering getting a S660.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My XF kicked into "Restricted Performance" (i.e. Limp Home) mode on my way home after an excursion tonight. Thankfully I was less than ten miles from home. When I got it accelerating and released the throttle, I could hear a descending sort of whistling sound. It sounded faint, until I got to a spot with walls and houses near the road, and it sounded a lot louder then with something to reflect the sound (I'd cracked the windows to listen). So my best guess is that I suspect something's gone with the turbo.

Oh FUN.

Wallet am cry.

Jazz on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2020/10/08/mercedes-benz-efficiency-electric-car-longest-range/

Mercedes Benz is teasing a theoretical 750 mile range EV.

Formula 1 success trickling down to production car tech?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2020/10/08/mercedes-benz-efficiency-electric-car-longest-range/

Mercedes Benz is teasing a theoretical 750 mile range EV.

Formula 1 success trickling down to production car tech?

Maybe, but...
    This incredible range will be achieved through efficency improvements rather than just a bigger battery pack.

This doesn't rule out that they're also sticking $40k worth of lithium into the thing...

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    750 mile range would be real neat, but for these kinds of things I reserve any excitement for plans at mass production. I'm sure a 750 mile EV will be great for the dozen dudes whose garages it will adorn.

• Options
    The garage suspects it might just be a boost pipe on my car. But they can't fit me until Wednesday. Oh well, not like I've got anywhere to go, and I just went grocery shopping the other day so I've got supplies in.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Pulled up next to me at a stoplight today.

Lxegurx.jpg?1

Countach LP5000QV.

That's a $400,000 car.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Ten to 15 years ago those weren't even selling for $100k!

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the rarity, and the ridiculousness, and the utter 80s ness of it all

But goddamn the Countach might be the ugliest Lambo ever made

• Options
    Still one of the best looking cars ever built.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I prefer the Diablo to the Countach, but god damn I would still rock that car.

I put a bid in on this, but have now been outbid, and I don't think I want to spend any more considering I'd have to go from Toronto to Cali to grab it

Bring a Trailer

With both of being made permanent wfh employees, I no longer need a practical car. The most driving we do now is daycare and groceries, and the A250 Hatch covers that great.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »

I put a bid in on this, but have now been outbid, and I don't think I want to spend any more considering I'd have to go from Toronto to Cali to grab it

Bring a Trailer

With both of being made permanent wfh employees, I no longer need a practical car. The most driving we do now is daycare and groceries, and the A250 Hatch covers that great.

DO EET.

Also, you'd think that you'd want to clean your engine bay up a little bit if you're gonna sell it online to a picky crowd, just sayin'

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Bring a Trailer

DO EET.

Also, you'd think that you'd want to clean your engine bay up a little bit if you're gonna sell it online to a picky crowd, just sayin'

The interior needs to be cleaned, for sure, but I'll take an everyday dirty engine bay. A conspicuously clean engine bay screams that someone is trying to hide something. An engine bay with some dust and dirt on it? It's super easy to see if the engine is leaking any fluids.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

Bring a Trailer

DO EET.

I'm trying to refrain but we'll see, my better half has approved a higher ceiling.

Dixon on
  • Options
    After what I will charitably put down to miscommunication yesterday, my XF finally got picked up today. Progress! Maybe I can have a properly running car again soon.

• Options
    edited October 2020

Bring a Trailer

DO EET.

I'm trying to refrain but we'll see, my better half has approved a higher ceiling.

I see it sold... did you do eet?

Jazz on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Bring a Trailer

DO EET.

Hit up rennlist. Generally some great stuff there and usually fanatical owners.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Bring a Trailer

DO EET.

Hit up rennlist. Generally some great stuff there and usually fanatical owners.

Fanatical owners is right.....

• Options
    I'm looking at Chevy SS's again because I miss my car and helloooooo there. That green is one of my favorite colors:

jkrird5bwj6y.png

I really, really shouldn't. But damn do I want to.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    That's a REALLY nice colour.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    For a bowlingball

J/k man glad it's up your ally.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    bwanie wrote: »
    For a bowlingball

J/k man glad it's up your alley.

har har

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I appreciate the rarity, and the ridiculousness, and the utter 80s ness of it all

Nah the LP400 was great:

Countach_Autostadt.jpg

Then they kept adding bits on to it like it was a fucking Gundam, and it ended up looking like a fucking Gundam:

800px-Paris_-_RM_Sotheby%E2%80%99s_2018_-_Lamborghini_Countach_25TH_anniversary_-_1991_-_002.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love them all. Give me all the Lambos.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Lamborghini was great, right up until the Diablo. Because they're all Diablos after that. I can't think of a single model after the Diablo came out that's been any kind of different.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    You can really see the direct evolution from the Miura to the LP400, and from the 25th anniversary Countach to the Diablo in the styling.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Lamborghini was great, right up until the Diablo. Because they're all Diablos after that. I can't think of a single model after the Diablo came out that's been any kind of different.

It comes to something when the defining feature of the Gallardo and Huracan was that the doors opened in a normal fashion.

I wouldn't turn down a Murcielago or Aventador... but my heart will be with the older cars.

mRahmani wrote: »

Nah the LP400 was great:

Countach_Autostadt.jpg

Then they kept adding bits on to it like it was a fucking Gundam, and it ended up looking like a fucking Gundam:

800px-Paris_-_RM_Sotheby%E2%80%99s_2018_-_Lamborghini_Countach_25TH_anniversary_-_1991_-_002.jpg

The '70s and the '80s in a nutshell, right there.

(I love 'em both, but it's almost bizarre that they're ostensibly the same car.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    I'll never get over the name since I learned that 'countach' is an Italian word for surprise or amazement. It's the Lamborghini Wow. Ridiculous.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

Yes the Diablo:

800px-Early_Lamborghini_Diablo_in_red.jpg

is indistinguishable from the Murciélago:

800px-Lamborghini_Murci%C3%A9lago_%288449877703%29.jpg

which I constantly mistake for the Aventador:

800px-Lamborghini_Aventador_%2815490070453%29.jpg

All completely identical!

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'll never get over the name since I learned that 'countach' is an Italian word for surprise or amazement. It's the Lamborghini Wow. Ridiculous.

No worse than the Ferrari TheFerrari. Sorry, LaFerrari. Or the Superfast.

Mind you, I've heard at least, what, three different pronunciations of "Countach" that I can think of.

• Options
    The Murci and Aventador look pretty similar, and if you put the later Diablo with the fixed lights next to them I think the family resemblance is pretty strong there too.

Interestingly, the Aventador brought back the pinched belt line right behind the front wheels from the Diablo, which the Murci didn’t have.

• Options
    The fixed lights in the Diablo came from the Nissan 300ZX, hilariously.

nibXTE7.png