As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Police Brutality] Has Caused Ongoing National Protests

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump is also going public with his support of extrajudicial murders, saying "That's the way it has to be".

Trump on a purported antifa sympathizer who allegedly killed someone in Portland being killed by federal forces: "This guy was a violent criminal, and the US Marshals killed him. And I'll tell you something -- that's the way it has to be. There has to be retribution."

Aaron Rupar is a Vox journalist

*Retribution not available if victim is a person of color or not a republican.

And he said it again.

A frightening amount of Americans are cheering for this, both inside his rally and out. I fear that whoever wins in November, things will immediately get violent and terrible.

The thing about saying that it is okay to extradjudicially murder protestors

is that you are telling the fringe elements opposed to you that they better start extrajudicially murdering people that they suspect might be the ones doing the killing

I don't know how they don't see that. I mean, I get it, they want right wing people to murder left wing people, and it's a travesty if the violence goes in the other direction. Why can we not simply denounce all of the fucking violence as a nation

override367 on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Why can we not simply denounce all of the fucking violence as a nation

Because that's what a President would do.

We don't have a President. We have history's most pathetic would-be dictator.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    On a human resource level, scarci
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump is also going public with his support of extrajudicial murders, saying "That's the way it has to be".

Trump on a purported antifa sympathizer who allegedly killed someone in Portland being killed by federal forces: "This guy was a violent criminal, and the US Marshals killed him. And I'll tell you something -- that's the way it has to be. There has to be retribution."

Aaron Rupar is a Vox journalist

*Retribution not available if victim is a person of color or not a republican.

And he said it again.

A frightening amount of Americans are cheering for this, both inside his rally and out. I fear that whoever wins in November, things will immediately get violent and terrible.

The thing about saying that it is okay to extradjudicially murder protestors

is that you are telling the fringe elements opposed to you that they better start extrajudicially murdering people that they suspect might be the ones doing the killing

I don't know how they don't see that. I mean, I get it, they want right wing people to murder left wing people, and it's a travesty if the violence goes in the other direction. Why can we not simply denounce all of the fucking violence as a nation

Violence is power. It's something that resonates with all Americans on an instinctual level. To give up violence is to give up power.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Didn't see this one posted before. Wall street is making millions off police brutality. Disgustingly, much of it is about my own city, and its record breaking settlements for police brutality. I knew that the city was self-insuring the $800M or so it's paid out in the last 15 years, but I hadn't even thought about how they actually raised the money to pay those. So that $800M number is costing our city closer to $2B in bonds... Meanwhile, the conservatives over at the Trib rail on the city for not supporting cops enough and then simultaneously about how awful the budget deficit is. Imagine the good that $2B could do for the south side and west sides in social programs. I honestly feel a little ill right now after reading that.

That headline seems a bit of a sensationalist way to put it. As loathe as one is to say Wall St is not the bad guy here because fuck them, they aren't really the problem here. The municipal governments are the ones just endlessly paying out settlements and the like for their police force's shitty behaviour while not actually trying to fix the problems that are burning a hole in their budgets. Wall St is just showing up to make a buck helping them get the cash together to do the thing they would be doing anyway. The governments in question need to get pushed into stopping the endless money spigot for bad police behaviour.

Yes, municipal governments need to have pressure on them to stop the endless money for covering up for their shitty police departments. But that doesn't absolve Wall Street of all blame. It doesn't stop us from criticizing Wall Street for enabling shitty and exploitative behavior, like fossil fuels, residential rental REITs, etc. These settlement bonds are synonymous with that. The cities need pressure, and investors need to pressure. If it wasn't for the endless money spigot that was Wall Street, it's possible that cities might have more pressure to actually address change since it hits them where it counts. I mean, I'm realistic and know that there will always be some amoral investors, but we have to at least try.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So, who called it? Step forward for your Obvious Trophy of Obviousness.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ee9378cc5b6fdae7db88f2a
    Federal prosecutors in California have charged Steven Carrillo, a supporter of the far-right “Boogaloo” movement, with the murder of federal protective security officer Dave Underwood.

Federal leaders initially suggested antifa, a loosely organized group of anti-fascist activists, was behind the killing. “This antifa violent activity has to stop,” White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien said May 31, referring to Underwood’s death.

Hevach on
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That’s from June.

David Walgas on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Attorney General William Barr told federal prosecutors to be aggressive in charging violent demonstrators, including potentially prosecuting them for plotting to overthrow the government, say people familiar with the talks

From The Wall Street Journal

How did the most grotesque and stupid man in the world attract so many competent yet villainous minions?

Taramoor on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Barr basically auditioned by saying he thinks the president is above the law.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Opportunity knocks but once.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

This is the second time he's been AG, the first time he saw the Iran Contra pardons through.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Barr is one of those one of those people in the club of powerful people must be good or we wouldn't let him in the powerful people club situations. It's one of the reasons there's no fucking accountability in this country.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

This is the second time he's been AG, the first time he saw the Iran Contra pardons through.

I was referring to the 'so many villians' post.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Police literally arguing that they should be allowed to kill people even if all the evidence is against them simply because they "feel" like it:

“A camera, no matter what angle, or where it’s at, or who’s wearing it, will never capture what an officer thinks or feels,” Zaro said in response, adding that ongoing conversations about police brutality are more about “what looks bad” than anything else.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7qjde/we-tried-to-obtain-footage-of-michael-reinoehls-killing-police-say-it-doesnt-exist

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Police literally arguing that they should be allowed to kill people even if all the evidence is against them simply because they "feel" like it:

“A camera, no matter what angle, or where it’s at, or who’s wearing it, will never capture what an officer thinks or feels,” Zaro said in response, adding that ongoing conversations about police brutality are more about “what looks bad” than anything else.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7qjde/we-tried-to-obtain-footage-of-michael-reinoehls-killing-police-say-it-doesnt-exist

Protesters “police shouldn’t be allowed to do whatever they feel like “

Police “but what if we feel like it?”

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Back in June, when the military forcibly cleared out protesters from Lafayette Square for Trump's photo op, federal officials stockpiled ammunition and sought out a 'heat ray' to use on the protesters.
    Just before noon on June 1, the Defense Department’s top military police officer in the Washington region sent an email to officers in the D.C. National Guard. It asked whether the unit had a Long Range Acoustic Device, also known as an LRAD, or a microwave-like weapon called the Active Denial System, which was designed by the military to make people feel like their skin is burning when in range of its invisible rays.

The technology, also called a “heat ray,” was developed to disperse large crowds in the early 2000s but was shelved amid concerns about its effectiveness, safety and the ethics of using it on human beings.

Pentagon officials were reluctant to use the device in Iraq. In late 2018, the New York Times reported, the Trump administration had weighed using the device on migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border — an idea shot down by Kirstjen Nielsen, then the Homeland Security secretary, citing humanitarian concerns.

Nothing says 'measured response' like deploying weapons that could have been developed by Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

VuIBhrs.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Back in June, when the military forcibly cleared out protesters from Lafayette Square for Trump's photo op, federal officials stockpiled ammunition and sought out a 'heat ray' to use on the protesters.
    Just before noon on June 1, the Defense Department’s top military police officer in the Washington region sent an email to officers in the D.C. National Guard. It asked whether the unit had a Long Range Acoustic Device, also known as an LRAD, or a microwave-like weapon called the Active Denial System, which was designed by the military to make people feel like their skin is burning when in range of its invisible rays.

The technology, also called a “heat ray,” was developed to disperse large crowds in the early 2000s but was shelved amid concerns about its effectiveness, safety and the ethics of using it on human beings.

Pentagon officials were reluctant to use the device in Iraq. In late 2018, the New York Times reported, the Trump administration had weighed using the device on migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border — an idea shot down by Kirstjen Nielsen, then the Homeland Security secretary, citing humanitarian concerns.

Nothing says 'measured response' like deploying weapons that could have been developed by Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Nothing says "what the fuck" like picking up weapons that literal torture apologists considered an ethical dilemma.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Taramoor wrote: »

Attorney General William Barr told federal prosecutors to be aggressive in charging violent demonstrators, including potentially prosecuting them for plotting to overthrow the government, say people familiar with the talks

From The Wall Street Journal

How did the most grotesque and stupid man in the world attract so many competent yet villainous minions?
    q9kai0wg4ado.jpg

. . . uneasy and effective collaboration with traditional elites . . .
    We already had a 2008 style corporate bailout this year and it mostly went unnoticed because of corona and all the madness going on.
    Also, much as I despise the extreme political right and white nationalists, one cannot deny that they're very effective at their brand of political activism.
    They'll walk over broken glass to own the libs. You've probably experienced this, much to your own horror and chagrin.
    I only need to motion vaguely in Kyle Rittenhouse's direction to prove my point.

Much as I probably shouldn't, I feel Biden would be a welcome relief. Intellectually, I know this is aiming very low and Trump will probably just be the first in a long succession of wannabe strongman dictators.

Twenty Sided on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh, we definitely went over their interest in area denial weapons, particularly the LRAD.

Hell, there was a brief (and I believe pointedly stopped) series of comments postulating how one might protect from and/or disable such a device.

I dunno if it was earlier in this thread or a previous iteration, but that's old news (but still horrifying and awful).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Much as I probably shouldn't, I feel Biden would be a welcome relief. Intellectually, I know this is aiming very low and Trump will probably just be the first in a long succession of wannabe strongman dictators.

I look forward to Commandant Crawford in 2028

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, we definitely went over their interest in area denial weapons, particularly the LRAD.

Hell, there was a brief (and I believe pointedly stopped) series of comments postulating how one might protect from and/or disable such a devise.

I dunno if it was earlier in this thread or a previous iteration, but that's old news (but still horrifying and awful).

The heat rays and the sonic cannons are both potentially monstrous tools. All it takes is nudging a dial a little too far and you've gone from 'crowd control' to 'you need to be tried for war crimes'.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Hell, there was a brief (and I believe pointedly stopped) series of comments postulating how one might protect from and/or disable such a devise.

The heat rays and the sonic cannons are both potentially monstrous tools. All it takes is nudging a dial a little too far and you've gone from 'crowd control' to 'you need to be tried for war crimes'.

I would argue that employing them at all immediately goes to "you need to be tried for war crimes". Sound canons can essentially instantly cause permanent hearing loss. It wouldn't surprise me if the microwave guns can have similar permanent effects--nevermind that you're using indiscriminate area-based pain as a compliance tool.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Being "less lethal" doesn't mean something doesn't have the ability to permanently maim someone.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Being "less lethal" doesn't mean something doesn't have the ability to permanently maim or kill someone.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

I would argue that employing them at all immediately goes to "you need to be tried for war crimes". Sound canons can essentially instantly cause permanent hearing loss. It wouldn't surprise me if the microwave guns can have similar permanent effects--nevermind that you're using indiscriminate area-based pain as a compliance tool.

Deploying tear gas is a war crime if you do it to enemy combatants. The fact that you can do what you like to your own civilians is the problem.

Tastyfish on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Tear gas is a war crime because it’s difficult to distinguish it between lethal gas and lethal gas is a war crime. It begets retaliation. Using lethal gas on your own population is a crime against humanity but using tear gas is not

wbBv3fj.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Tear gas is a war crime because it’s difficult to distinguish it between lethal gas and lethal gas is a war crime. It begets retaliation. Using lethal gas on your own population is a crime against humanity but using tear gas is not

Just as well I drew the line after nerve stapling.

[edit, I kid. My Gaians did nothing of the sort, regardless of what you might have read in Miriam's propaganda]

Tastyfish on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I think the fact that the way it was used in WWI was to gas the enemy combatants and then shoot them while they were helpless also played a part and turned it into a part of lethal force.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    When I was a little kid I had a cough so bad that I kept throwing up. Ever since then I can't cough more than once or twice in a row without gagging.

After another bad cough as an adult, my throat decided that the correct response to irritation is to slam shut on the irritant.

I've never been tear gassed, but I imagine it would be a bad time.

Calica on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    USA Today: Texas deputies, including those who killed Javier Ambler, reportedly got steakhouse gift cards for using force
    Williamson County, Texas, Sheriff’s Office leaders rewarded deputies who used force on the job with steakhouse gift cards, according to two former employees, one of whom made the admission to Texas Rangers investigating the agency’s aggressive tactics.

Among the deputies who received gift cards to places such as Logan’s Roadhouse were J.J. Johnson and Zach Camden, the officers involved in the March 2019 death of Javier Ambler. The Black 40-year-old father was Tased four times as he shouted that he had a heart condition and could not breathe.

In a recorded interview with Texas Rangers, former Deputy Christopher Pisa said Cmdr. Steve Deaton awarded deputies he considered “WilCo badass.”

“They had the intention that we were all ‘WilCo badass’ and if you went out there and did your job, and you had to use force on somebody and he agreed with it, then you would get a gift card,” Pisa said in an audio recording obtained by the Austin American-Statesman, which is part of the USA TODAY Network.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    After three failed drafts of impotent rage i gave up. I just can't be arsed anymore.

You broke me America. But i'm still so fucking dissapointed in you.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Hit the bottom and keep on digging.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    https://wwmt.com/news/local/kalamazoo-police-chief-karianne-thomas-steps-down-assistant-chief-to-take-over

So the chief of police in Kalamazoo (where the cops let the Proud Boys beat the shit out of homeless and the counter-protestors and then charged the counter-protestors for fighting back about a month ago) just went and resigned from her post a few days ago, leaving things to her assistant chief, mostly because it came out just how bad they either willfully turned a blind eye or dropped the ball on even preparing for the Proud Boys to come to town for their little march.

https://wwmt.com/news/local/a-look-in-chief-thomas-inbox-over-50-emails-communicate-a-plan-for-proud-boys-rally

A few of the emails are posted in this story and photobank- including pleas from the owner of a bunch of condos overlooking the place where the rallies went down practically begging for answers and security while outright telling the cops "these are armed neo-nazis", and the potential for violence because of the counter-protests... but assumed that everything was going to be peaceful because that's what the nazis were saying and apparently they didn't look at any of the hundreds of videos of them sparking violence everywhere else they marched.

Just... it makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I mean, come on- everyone knew they were going to come looking for a fight, and they got one- and once they seemed to be losing, the cops rode to their rescue and arrested the counter-protestors because someone tried to toss a slushy at the PBs and then they had the gall to fight back when the PBs were beating the absolute shit out of them.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Cops love letting Proud Boys beat the shit out of counter protesters because it saves them the time and trouble of doing it themselves.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Cops love letting Proud Boys beat the shit out of counter protesters because it saves them the time and trouble of doing it themselves.

... while on duty/in uniform.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

... while on duty/in uniform.

"We can't devote the resources to properly police the Proud Boys parade. Too many of our officers are on leave attending it."

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It is literally within the Proud Boys recruitment process that they need to get into a fight with protesters and/or get arrested in order to prove how devoted they are.

In addition to listing cereal names while their friends beat them up.

Every Proud Boys gathering there is guaranteed to be violence.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Proud boys ARE the Cops. Klan members, ALSO beating the shit out of Black , peaceful protestors in the South, and parts of some Midwestern states, were Full Time Police officers themselves during the pre civil and civil rights eras.

Basically post Reconstruction.

Ticaldfjam on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It is literally within the Proud Boys recruitment process that they need to get into a fight with protesters and/or get arrested in order to prove how devoted they are.

Yo I'm not defending those assholes buut citation??

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Being "less lethal" doesn't mean something doesn't have the ability to permanently maim someone.

If Americans cared about maimings, the numbers of people who have suffered permanent lung (or other organ) damage from covid would be plastered alongside the death toll

Tox wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Yo I'm not defending those assholes buut citation??

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5450513ce4b048855519f0da/t/5ceb2567419202740b0c6c2b/1558914407793/344624815-Proud-Boy-Manifesto.pdf

https://officialproudboys.com/columns/some-clarification-on-the-4th-degree/

This discussion has been closed.