As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    If I had to pick from Ulysses or Gatsby to read on repeat until my death I'd take Ulysses hands down every fucking time.

That’s an easy choice, man, you’d probably only get through it like 3 or 4 times.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Once you start using vlookup more than once in a blue moon you might seriously consider using a DB like access or mysql.

You can import excel spreadsheets into most and then you get the full power of queries and views instead of vlookups that chug spreadsheets to death and take 15 minutes to open.

The best part is you can export that shit right back into a form excel can consume if someone above you needs a report. Hardest part is convincing other people who need to work with the data to use it over excel, but if you're solo riding it ain't no thing.

I don't have access to any database

I have had opportunity to run vlookup like twice in six months, which is why I cannot remember how to do it

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I actually rather liked Ulysses. I feel like Joyce is extremely up front with the fact that he derives all his nourishment from the smell of his own farts, it makes it easier to get into it, somehow.

It's not just Joyce's fascination with his own farts but all the academics huffing them too claiming there's so much meaning in what is explicitly a meaningless book and it's just so deep as they crawl up his ass seeking more.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I don’t think it’s accurate to say the book is meaningless.

It’s so densely written you can dig up an awful lot of whatever evidence you might need to support a given reading, I’ll grant you that

but I hardly think that counts as meaningless.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    If I had to pick from Ulysses or Gatsby to read on repeat until my death I'd take Ulysses hands down every fucking time.

That’s an easy choice, man, you’d probably only get through it like 3 or 4 times.

Everything's coming up Millhouse with this choice.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've always been curious about Joyce, but talk about being high on your own supply. The guy wrote Finnegan's Wake, and that's just...I'm not sure what to call it other than maybe a literary trainwreck written in dreamspeak.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    In terms of non-white authors*, one thing I was surprised by going to high school in rural Michigan was the standard English class reading list included:

Native Son by Richard Wright
    Rasin in the Sun Lorraine Hansberry
    Black Like MeJohn Howard Griffin

*okay, so excluding Griffin from that description

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Yeah Gatsby really loves that nihilistic look of "oh hey capitalism...yep...yep...it looks pretty cool at first, but then it ends up shit and all the fancy stuff you bought means nothing...you'll never get the girl...and people are terrible"

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The person doing stock reconciliation for us, X, works for our Irish sister company and gave her notice recently. I wasn't informed of this immediately, despite being responsible for supply and working quite closely with her, but I knew it was happening because she started CC'ing person Y on all her emails. So, OK, training the replacement. Eventually I'm told (very surprised reaction when my only response is "yeah, already figured that out") and X will be leaving in the middle of this month, while Y takes over her duties.

Anyway, here's this weeks timeline:
    Monday: X sends out her "goodbye and thanks for the time here" email.
    Tuesday: Our trading partner sends out an email about a change in a recent invoice and CC's X on it, as normal.
    This morning: I email them back saying "Hey, X has unfortunately decided to leave the company, could you please copy Y in on all future communication?".
    This afternoon: Guy from finance comes over, "oh hey, another person quit in Ireland, Y is leaving by end of this week".

... seriously??

euj90n71sojo.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I've always been curious about Joyce, but talk about being high on your own supply. The guy wrote Finnegan's Wake, and that's just...I'm not sure what to call it other than maybe a literary trainwreck written in dreamspeak.

Portrait of the Artist is about the only Joyce novel I consider re-readable without needing to be checked for any underlying psychoses. Though I think Pynchon and Proust we're even higher up their own colons than Joyce.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I liked raisin in the sun but holy shit did it make me incredibly angry

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Access' strong point, and I really hate this, is that you can make UI for people that are scared of databases and queries.

You can also save queries that work a bit like normal sql views.

It's a great "baby's first database", it's also a great tool that gets a lot of hate too. I'd rather see a dozen access databases than a single 20 gig excel workbook with vlookups. The latter is such a big pain in the ass to actually transition to actual tools once you grow past excel.

And in modern parlance - use Power Automate, Forms etc. and worst case dump into a CSV. Modern tech has made this shit so easy.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    At some point district sent out a survey about school support stuff. I dunno, they send out surveys a lot lately and I tend to not bother with them because I'm busy.

I just got a little congratulatory email about being called out by name for positive things in the district-wide survey.

So that's nice and makes today a little brighter.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It just keeps adding on. Knocked my head on the corner of a shelf because my office is too small.

Yeah Gatsby really loves that nihilistic look of "oh hey capitalism...yep...yep...it looks pretty cool at first, but then it ends up shit and all the fancy stuff you bought means nothing...you'll never get the girl...and people are terrible"

That's always felt like the largest problem Gatsby has. People, high schoolers in particular, don't really relate to the rags to riches lifestyle of the roaring 20s and that it's completely unrelatable to anyone's personal life other than maybe you'll get shot by someone you pissed off through a series of really shit misunderstandings or someone accusing you of doing something you didn't.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm on PTO for the next two days, pretty damn excited to not come into this stupid fucking bullshit job thank fuck

Ah, that's better already

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

That's always felt like the largest problem Gatsby has. People, high schoolers in particular, don't really relate to the rags to riches lifestyle of the roaring 20s and that it's completely unrelatable to anyone's personal life other than maybe you'll get shot by someone you pissed off through a series of really shit misunderstandings or someone accusing you of doing something you didn't.

Rags to riches

yeah maybe if you win the goddamn lottery

Work just dropped another big due right now project on me and I'm pissed because there's no way it can be done in the timeframe, it's using the program I've never been formally trained in beyond the basics and to get the information I need I'll have to delve very deep, and ultimately none of this work will be of any importance because they're just using it as an attachment to a budget request; a justification no one is going to read beyond a minor skim.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Hm. We all read about the lifestyles of the rich and famous, though? And everyone has tried to act or be someone they were not to impress someone they looked up to. Especially with fucking Insta and Twitter thrown in the mix. The book is also full of shorter observations that could be discussed in class. Like there's a little scene where a director has taken his young and beautiful star to the party and all evening he's just leaning in closer and closer to her. It should be possible for high schoolers to connect this to recent stories of powerful movie people abusing young and beautiful stars. I wrote earlier that the book should be read along with watching the 2013 movie.

I feel kind of silly trying to defend a book written like a century ago. I don't think Fitzgerald needs to be put on some kind pedestal here. Just kinda disagree with the notion that people couldn't relate to the work any more in 2020.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Today has been extremely quiet. I've finished any work that needs doing, and there's a couple more things I *could* be doing, but those are predicated on attorneys getting back to me, so...

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wrapped myself in one of the green tablecloths in front of the green screen so now I'm a floating head.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Orca wrote: »

Rags to riches

Win the lottery then successfully avoid the con artists, sudden extended "family" popping out of the woodwork, and probably an attempt or two on your life if your state is the type to plaster your face and name on the announcement.

Easy!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I wrapped myself in one of the green tablecloths in front of the green screen so now I'm a floating head.

Careful, that could lead to someone attempting to bust a buster.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Rags to riches

Win the lottery then successfully avoid the con artists, sudden extended "family" popping out of the woodwork, and probably an attempt or two on your life if your state is the type to plaster your face and name on the announcement.

Easy!

I want to say in some parts of the world it's normal for people to wear masks, etc. when claiming?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Rags to riches

Easy!

I want to say in some parts of the world it's normal for people to wear masks, etc. when claiming?

That doesn't do much when they publish your name as having newly acquired a lot of money and information security nowadays being a total joke so people can look you up really easily

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    So I guess a CDC guy said to expect a return to normalcy by 3rd quarter 2021. I haven't been to the office in a full 6 months now, if I go with WFH for a year and a half I don't know how I'll ever go back. The commute always sucked, but it will suck so much more knowing it's unnecessary.

I might seriously consider if I could quit and make it as an indie dev when the time comes.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Aldo wrote: »

Hm. We all read about the lifestyles of the rich and famous, though? And everyone has tried to act or be someone they were not to impress someone they looked up to. Especially with fucking Insta and Twitter thrown in the mix. The book is also full of shorter observations that could be discussed in class. Like there's a little scene where a director has taken his young and beautiful star to the party and all evening he's just leaning in closer and closer to her. It should be possible for high schoolers to connect this to recent stories of powerful movie people abusing young and beautiful stars. I wrote earlier that the book should be read along with watching the 2013 movie.

I feel kind of silly trying to defend a book written like a century ago. I don't think Fitzgerald needs to be put on some kind pedestal here. Just kinda disagree with the notion that people couldn't relate to the work any more in 2020.

Sure but I still hate the book and hated reading it in high school versus To Kill a Mockingbird or the other dozens of better books. Shit I liked Ethan Frome better than Gatsby, and Frome was baaaaaaad.

gimme sir arthur c clarke any day but teachers don't like sci fi books because lolnerds

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Lotta "I don't like it therefore it's bad" going on. Bet I could dig out a bunch of people who hate Arthur C Clarke (or rather the literature thereof) (pretty sure there's also a lot of people who hate him for other, unrelated reasons)

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I liked Gatsby a lot actually, and even if you hate it the book is what, a hundred pages?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I remember not liking that its spoken of as "the great american novel" more than the book itself.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Lotta "I don't like it therefore it's bad" going on. Bet I could dig out a bunch of people who hate Arthur C Clarke (or rather the literature thereof) (pretty sure there's also a lot of people who hate him for other, unrelated reasons)

I feel like science fiction should have a place for high schoolers but Clarke isn't anywhere on the list. Not much I think he does especially well compared to others out there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Tech at another school posts in the group chat. This person has been in this department longer than I have.

OtherTech: This particular student (post screenshot of student name, dob, id#, etc) can't login to their Google account. We have tried on multiple devices and networks, is this an easy fix?

Me: Check the admin console and see if it's locked out or disabled?

OtherTech: It's not working.

Manager 2 levels higher than us: I checked the console for you, the account is active.

Me: Reset the password?

OT: Still can't login.

Manager: Do you have a good network connection?

OT: Yes, tried on two different devices. I can login but the student account can't.

Manager: Reset the password

OT: It's not working.

Manager: The account is being locked out with bad attempts. You need to reset the password.

OT: We have a new device and it's still not working.

Our Immediate Supervisor: Hey OT I just unlocked the account and reset the password.

OT: working now

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Tech at another school posts in the group chat. This person has been in this department longer than I have.

OtherTech: This particular student (post screenshot of student name, dob, id#, etc) can't login to their Google account. We have tried on multiple devices and networks, is this an easy fix?

Manager 2 levels higher than us: I checked the console for you, the account is active.

OT: Yes, tried on two different devices. I can login but the student account can't.

Manager: The account is being locked out with bad attempts. You need to reset the password.

Our Immediate Supervisor: Hey OT I just unlocked the account and reset the password.

I'll facepalm for you expendable...*sigh*

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Hey I think I used to work with that person!

... I'm sorry...

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We all used to work with that person at some point.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

It looks like my district is definitely pushing towards a hybrid model next month. Half the students in the building at a time. A-K Monday-Tuesday. L-Z Thursday-Friday. Wednesday alternates. Class will be synchronous so if they are at home they still join the live class in the school through teams.

I predict a shit-show. I'm more isolated so should be safer. If we let any students into the library, it will be under very controlled situations where they use hand sanitizer before entering and leaving.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Have we talked about John Steinbeck?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    The person doing stock reconciliation for us, X, works for our Irish sister company and gave her notice recently. I wasn't informed of this immediately, despite being responsible for supply and working quite closely with her, but I knew it was happening because she started CC'ing person Y on all her emails. So, OK, training the replacement. Eventually I'm told (very surprised reaction when my only response is "yeah, already figured that out") and X will be leaving in the middle of this month, while Y takes over her duties.

Anyway, here's this weeks timeline:
    Monday: X sends out her "goodbye and thanks for the time here" email.
    Tuesday: Our trading partner sends out an email about a change in a recent invoice and CC's X on it, as normal.
    This morning: I email them back saying "Hey, X has unfortunately decided to leave the company, could you please copy Y in on all future communication?".
    This afternoon: Guy from finance comes over, "oh hey, another person quit in Ireland, Y is leaving by end of this week".

... seriously??

I know this one.

It's a good news/bad news situation.

Good news, you wont have to deal with someone only half trained in the position.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
This discussion has been closed.