As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Speaking of polling, Nate Cohn/NYT launched their own 538-esque polling aggregator and analysis thingy.

Today, we're launching a site to track the polls between now and the election. We'll have:
    --An appx. daily writeup on the latest polls
    --Poll averages
    --A home for news on our own polling

Philosophically, the page has a two tiered approach to covering the polls:
    --a pretty curated write-up, mainly focused on the polls we care about and trust
    --a broad polling average, including the polls that maybe we don't love

The page has a nice little table to help offer a sense of the range of possibilities, by imagining the polls are off by about as much as they were over *the final three weeks* of the last two elections. That'll narrow, but for now it's a simple reminder of the uncertainty

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/presidential-polls-trump-biden#what-do-the-polls-say

The chart on the right side of "if polls were as wrong as they were in 2016" is already giving my anxiety.

Polls conducted in the last three weeks. You'll note there was a major shift in the electorate in the last week.

That is the NYT trying to drive Democrats insane. Intentionally.

Yeah, I know. Framing it as "how wrong polls were" is misleading. It's more like "how much things shifted momentarily due to A CERTAIN EVENT."

It's still anxiety-inducing because something like it could absolutely happen again, particularly in a world being actively plagued by a plague.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Huh.

Quinnipac's poll had Biden +9 in ME-2 which seems... high.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    My understanding is that Rogan has explicitly said he is going to vote for Trump. So why would anyone expect him to be anything but a biased shit show against Biden?

Probably because the person doing the veep debate is also a trump sycophant but she gets to host that debate.

I mean fucking Chris Wallace is running a debate.

I though wallace did an ok job in 2016 unless I'm totally misremembering. Wasn't it him, Megan kelly, and someone else?

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Someone with more Fox knowledge can probably explain it better, but from what I gather Wallace heads an actual news show on Fox and has been openly critical of the Trump admin. He also gets less ratings than the personalities that just shout hate speech as opinion or entertainment.

Basically, Wallace is their hour a day they can point to and call it news, while Hannity, Pirro, Carlson, Ingraham, Doocy, and all the other ghouls dominate their airwaves.

It doesn’t make Wallace any less of a dickbag for giving cover to Fox rage-gasms or whatever else he does, but he’s also not the worst person to moderate a debate.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    why does trump's approval rating keep going up

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Idly wondering about the timing of the Hunter Biden stuff. Pure coincidence, or did Barr have this queued up to try to push the Boss' inevitable next fuckup out of the news cycle?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Honestly, it seems like mostly stabilization after regression from covid, thanks to the ridiculously short attention span of Americans, coupled with Rasmussen somehow still being considered worth including pushing things further.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Someone with more Fox knowledge can probably explain it better, but from what I gather Wallace heads an actual news show on Fox and has been openly critical of the Trump admin. He also gets less ratings than the personalities that just shout hate speech as opinion or entertainment.

Basically, Wallace is their hour a day they can point to and call it news, while Hannity, Pirro, Carlson, Ingraham, Doocy, and all the other ghouls dominate their airwaves.

It doesn’t make Wallace any less of a dickbag for giving cover to Fox rage-gasms or whatever else he does, but he’s also not the worst person to moderate a debate.

Wallace is part of the news arm of FOX News. Which can charitably be referred to as 'adequate'. Whatever slant or bias they have is far removed from the punditry that has given them their...reputation.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Wallace isn't bad, but shepherd smith was their main news guy, but I see he's about to start a show on a new network. Wallace seems like a news guy with opinions sometimes. He's been critical of the Trump admin but also friendly from what little I know.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Absolutely inexcusable to run McGrath in Kentucky and then donate that much to her.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Honestly, it seems like mostly stabilization after regression from covid, thanks to the ridiculously short attention span of Americans, coupled with Rasmussen somehow still being considered worth including pushing things further.

In reality they have been just kind of flat statistically. Barely moving between 41-43% for like a month.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Absolutely inexcusable to run McGrath in Kentucky and then donate that much to her.

Huh?

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

In reality they have been just kind of flat statistically. Barely moving between 41-43% for like a month.

He has a low ceiling and a high floor. Not sure why so many people are ride or die for him, but they are.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Harrison is a good candidate and Graham is a clown, so maybe? SC is consistently red, but it's not overwhelmingly red. Obama lost by 10 there both times.

Very recently Graham demanded he release his tax returns, insisting he must be hiding something. Harrison released them and told him he should ask Trump to do the same.

Quid on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    It's not desperate. It's politically smart to indict Hunter Biden and fill October with news about Biden's Criminal Son. So I hope the Biden campaign has a good plan to respond.

It's desperate since the whole thing brings the impeachment back into focus and is easily discredited by a casual review of the facts.

It is dangerous wrt bringing impeachment back up, but the Republican higher ups are smart enough to see that the bolded is almost totally irrelevant. The people will believe what their bubble tells them to believe, and look for facts where their friends look for facts.

Which would matter more if Biden hadn't had like 2 years to prepare for this and a dumptruck of cash to drown out the message that trump's cronies are trying to cobble together.

The question that's on my mind is, how does one prepare for this? If past events are any indication, no amount of reaction or dismissal, or even proven innocence, really make a difference. Just the fact that the accusation makes it to the news cycle is sufficient to derail everything just the way the GOP want. The DOJ releasing this statement is enough to cause the damage that would need to be prevented.

I'm legitimately curious what the remedy is for this.

Simple; you get in contact with the democratic senators so that they can point out the obvious flaws in the arguement while pointing out that the president was impeached for this and that the people questioning biden were the ones that refused to have him removed from office.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Speaking of polling, Nate Cohn/NYT launched their own 538-esque polling aggregator and analysis thingy.

Today, we're launching a site to track the polls between now and the election. We'll have:
    --Poll averages

--a pretty curated write-up, mainly focused on the polls we care about and trust

The page has a nice little table to help offer a sense of the range of possibilities, by imagining the polls are off by about as much as they were over *the final three weeks* of the last two elections. That'll narrow, but for now it's a simple reminder of the uncertainty

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/presidential-polls-trump-biden#what-do-the-polls-say

The chart on the right side of "if polls were as wrong as they were in 2016" is already giving my anxiety.

Polls conducted in the last three weeks. You'll note there was a major shift in the electorate in the last week.

What shift?

He has a low ceiling and a high floor. Not sure why so many people are ride or die for him, but they are.

The Republican party has become a cult of personality around Trump. Pushed in large part by their media bubble.

I'm still not sure if it would have happened to anyone who won in 2016 or if it's something specific about Trump.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

--Poll averages

What shift?

He means there was a big shift in the last week of the election that shall not be named, so the first couple of weeks of "inaccurate" polls wouldn't reflect that.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    White House going for the "if you want to know about our healthcare plan, you should come work for us" strategy of outreach

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

An attention span so short that they've forgotten about the distant history of things that are still happening.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Quinnipiac Senate polls, trend from August.
    MAINE
    Gideon D: 54% (+7)
    Collins: 42% (-1)
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Harrison D: 48% (+4)
    Graham: 48% (+4)
    KENTUCKY
    McConnell: 53% (+4)
    McGrath D: 41% (-3)

I always figured that McGrath would be a longshot given the current political climate but as long as she and her campaign get the GOP to spend, spend, spend, I'm happy with it.

Every dollar spent defending McConnell's seat is one not spent in Kansas or Maine or South Carolina.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.

An attention span so short that they've forgotten about the distant history of things that are still happening.

People just get used to things. New normal and all that.

Hell, I've seen theories about Trump's numbers with blacks and hispanics going up in large part because he's become less shocking over time.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Hell, I've seen theories about Trump's numbers with blacks and hispanics going up in large part because he's become less shocking over time.

I heard clowns in my barbershop talking about the Latinos for Trump rally that was massive. It was really disheartening.

They really think they're "one of the good ones." Not a word was spoken about the hysterectomies.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

I wonder if that’s part of the human condition?

Emotions have a lot of power over the human body. Things like outrage, despair, fear, etc take a physical toll on the body if it doesn’t eventually subside. So even if we want to, the same outrage we felt at something Trump did three years ago barely musters a similar emotional response.

Take the “losers and suckers” thing. Yes I’m angered, but to me this has been a known quality of Trump since 2016 when he attacked McCain’s experience as a POW and the Kahn family. I’ve since learned that Trump has held contempt for service members and veterans for far longer and more times than I was aware, and I was aware of quite a few of them.

So when I learn new things, like last week Trump forcing service members into his tax deferment scheme, I’m still upset, but even calling my feeling upset belies how normalized Trump’s behavior has become.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

The Republican party has become a cult of personality around Trump. Pushed in large part by their media bubble.

I'm still not sure if it would have happened to anyone who won in 2016 or if it's something specific about Trump.

Which explains 27% of his approval, but not the next 15.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I heard clowns in my barbershop talking about the Latinos for Trump rally that was massive. It was really disheartening.

They really think they're "one of the good ones." Not a word was spoken about the hysterectomies.

It wasn't massive, and if you've seen shots from it, it was mostly white people like any other Trump rally.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular

This, for me, is what convinces me that a huge portion of the population--tens of millions of people--are willfully ignorant. It's almost like there's this large chunk of voters who don't dare to care. I can think of no other explanation. Simply reading headlines, or reading Trump's own Twitter account, or whatever, should be enough to convince people that he's an idiotic lunatic. I think they actively avoid doing so, and blindly vote the way they've always voted out of habit.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I had a "god I'm in a bubble" moment last night when my friend said her dad gets his news from Fox and CNN to get both sides to which I laughed and laughed...and we stopped talking about politics.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Polling dude
    Do a 10% lead for Mark Kelly, a 16% lead in Biden in MN, a 10% lead for Biden in WI, a 21% lead for Biden in ME, still count as "outliers" — if they all come within 24 hours from 4 pollsters?

These may all be skewed & off for similar reasons. But "outlier" feels wrong term here.

There's seemingly SOMETHING going on with the numbers at the moment. Biden is up in a bunch of state polls lately, but his national numbers have taken a consistent slight tick down.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Polling dude
    Do a 10% lead for Mark Kelly, a 16% lead in Biden in MN, a 10% lead for Biden in WI, a 21% lead for Biden in ME, still count as "outliers" — if they all come within 24 hours from 4 pollsters?

These may all be skewed & off for similar reasons. But "outlier" feels wrong term here.

There's seemingly SOMETHING going on with the numbers at the moment. Biden is up in a bunch of state polls lately, but his national numbers have taken a consistent slight tick down.
    Voters in safely republican states remembering the election is coming up?

Absalon on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Polling dude

Voters in safely republican states remembering the election is coming up?

That was theorised earlier in the thread, the GOP campaigns are running up the score in red states.

Still think it's too early to pin it definitely, need more info.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Polling dude

No, yes, kind of, yes. The more polls you have, the more outliers you can find.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

This, for me, is what convinces me that a huge portion of the population--tens of millions of people--are willfully ignorant. It's almost like there's this large chunk of voters who don't dare to care. I can think of no other explanation. Simply reading headlines, or reading Trump's own Twitter account, or whatever, should be enough to convince people that he's an idiotic lunatic. I think they actively avoid doing so, and blindly vote the way they've always voted out of habit.

A lot of people have been molded this way due to social media.

Like I said before, check out the youtube page for any computer belonging to a conservative, and look at what shows up in their recommendations.

Hell, earlier today I was getting recommendations for Breitbart. Youtube and Facebook are willfully complicit.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I don't think this is new enough to have been created by social media

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.

There's a huge number of people who don't pay any attention to politics day to day. Like a really really huge number.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    White House going for the "if you want to know about our healthcare plan, you should come work for us" strategy of outreach

Trump doesn't want to release the details because he thinks he won't get credit for it when Biden steals it and implements it.

Same reason he gave for not releasing his super-sekrit plans to defeat ISIS. So, I figure his healthcare plan is to order congress to make one.

• redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular

Christians. Like what you see with Barr, that's entirely about religion and not Trump. He's been prattling on for ages that the sexual revolution in the 1960s and the rules following it have destroyed the country and made it hostile to Christianity. Essentially the entire religious right, which makes up the majority of Christians is willing to do anything to enforce traditional Christian sexual morality. They don't view democracy as valid anymore because democracy produced birth control, no fault divorce, abortion, and gay marriage. They don't view the united states as valid anymore because it advocates for liberal sexual values abroad and with holds money from countries that crack down on abortion and homosexuality.

Trump is delivering. He is breaking the country, destroyed our ability to push liberal values overseas, and we are closer than ever to an authoritarian autocracy which is what they need to get what they want.

The religious right has given up on democracy bit by bit but gay marriage was the last straw for many of them. Either they get the cultural polices they want or they want the country to fail.

Read Rod Dreher or any of their other thought leaders, they are very open about all of this.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is the religious right really most Christians now? I feel like a lot of sects are moving to more liberal values to retain their congregations.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

A lot of people have been molded this way due to social media.

Like I said before, check out the youtube page for any computer belonging to a conservative, and look at what shows up in their recommendations.

Hell, earlier today I was getting recommendations for Breitbart. Youtube and Facebook are willfully complicit.

good god whenever I work on an executive's PC here their youtube page is always the usual suspects as well as a smattering of 2 hour videos that will be called something like "Why socialism will make all CEO's homeless" or whatever

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Is the religious right really most Christians now? I feel like a lot of sects are moving to more liberal values to retain their congregations.

His numbers with Catholics are tanking.

President Trump’s favorability among white Catholics is down to 38%, while Biden’s has gone up from 40% in July to 66% in August.

This discussion has been closed.