As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I see Reisalin in the thumbnail and damn now I want Ryza to be a guest character in Hyrule Warriors. Would be better than that random ass anime girl in the first game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    uh, you all forgetting Linkle? GIVE ME LINKLE!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    A group of people reanimated all the cutscenes from the CDi Zelda game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LY0kU0LV-0

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    A group of people reanimated all the cutscenes from the CDi Zelda game

-snip-

"Why did you want to reanimate Zelda CDi?"

"Because it's there."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    2 years after I picked it up I'm still playing BotW, but I haven't fought Ganon yet. 3 out of 4 divine beasts down (lightning camel is last) and I'm just futzing around looking at stuff.

Spent about an hour last night throwing myself at a silver lynel and I'm not quite there yet.

Still an A+ game.

What weapon did the lynel have? Sword and shield is easiest, two-hander is harder, spear is hardest.

Best way to start a lynel fight is to ride up on your horse, leap off, shoot him (the lynel, not your horse) in the head a bunch, then climb on his back and smack him. You now have chunked a decent amount of his health, making the overall fight easier

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    the mace lynel is by far the hardest for me bc the mini-nuke attack gets me every goddamn time

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    2 years after I picked it up I'm still playing BotW, but I haven't fought Ganon yet. 3 out of 4 divine beasts down (lightning camel is last) and I'm just futzing around looking at stuff.

Spent about an hour last night throwing myself at a silver lynel and I'm not quite there yet.

Still an A+ game.

What weapon did the lynel have? Sword and shield is easiest, two-hander is harder, spear is hardest.

Best way to start a lynel fight is to ride up on your horse, leap off, shoot him (the lynel, not your horse) in the head a bunch, then climb on his back and smack him. You now have chunked a decent amount of his health, making the overall fight easier

Went back and checked and verified online, it was actually a white-maned sword and shield lynel in the Hebra mountain area.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    the mace lynel is by far the hardest for me bc the mini-nuke attack gets me every goddamn time

Once I got a decent-ish strategy for fighting lynels I would use stasis on them whenever they started to charge it up. Because it lasted half a second so was useless for damage, but would interrupt anything they were doing.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Still an A+ game.

I haven’t even taken down a divine beast yet. I’m still just enjoying exploring the world.

Though tonight I’m making an effort to do one.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can't imagine playing this without getting some of the champions powers ASAP.
    I try to get the two on the left side of the map right away, it makes general exploring and fighting way easier.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    "Daruk's Protection is ready to roll!!" makes me jump every damn time

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I try to get the two on the left side of the map right away, it makes general exploring and fighting way easier.

It makes sense on your first playthrough to pick up Mipha's grace as that is a life saver while you're still learning the game. I'm sure that's what the developers thought too seeing as how Zora's Domain is the most signposted route at the beginning.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Revalis gale all the way. Urbosa Fury is also super useful for just splattering stuff like Lynels.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

It makes sense on your first playthrough to pick up Mipha's grace as that is a life saver while you're still learning the game. I'm sure that's what the developers thought too seeing as how Zora's Domain is the most signposted route at the beginning.

I picked up Mipha as it seemed I was led by the nose there as a noob, and then got all the shrines before getting the other 3.

steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Lynel shield parrying is my favorite way to go on Lynel farming. The start is different for where the lynel is, flying down from high above, riding up and shooting them, wearing majora's mask or the lynel mask, etc. But the battle ends up being the same every time. Watch as the loop twice before charging, parry, ping face with arrow to stun, climb on back with highest damage weapon (often a 2HD), bucked off, ping a few times in the back of the head for little extra damage and to show off, wash rinse repeat. Unless of course he does the spit fireballs then it is run in one direction, and ping in face. Or the yell nuke where you run back and out of range, see if you can look an arrow at his face to stun.

Edit: I have to admit it took me a good long while to learn the timing. Lots of heart food to practice and 3 attack up food to make it go faster. But after a while I got the timing down and can now do it without fairies and maybe only one heart food to max back up after the battle. There is a charge in there that they also do which is interesting to parry. The leaping spear attack you can parry, but not a good time to shoot to stun after it. I usually just dodge it instead. Also I suck at parrying in the game, but I forced myself to learn to do it on lynels and guardians. Next is to do it on the other monsters.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

I followed the path to Zora's Domain and did all the quests right up to actually facing the Divine Beast, but I was still finding the game quite hard at that point. Dying in every combat, just not much fun at all. So the idea of doing something that looked like endgame content was hilarious. So I put in another 100 hours before I did any of them.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

This could easily be why I had a harder time enjoying the game after my first long stretch: I didn't do a single beast until I had gotten every last shrine.

I can't fight the club Lynels worth a damn, probably because the best way I found for me to fight them was to dodge the sword or spear attacks and follow up with the flurry, which I only learned how to properly do the flurry thing on them, once I had to.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Kalnaur wrote: »

This could easily be why I had a harder time enjoying the game after my first long stretch: I didn't do a single beast until I had gotten every last shrine.

I can't fight the club Lynels worth a damn, probably because the best way I found for me to fight them was to dodge the sword or spear attacks and follow up with the flurry, which I only learned how to properly do the flurry thing on them, once I had to.

Yikes, yeah that would be seriously painful. Heck, if anything getting Revali's Gale makes wandering the world so much easier (and getting some of the shrines).

I still can't get flurries to work even though I got the parry. Just something about the timing is off to me.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I got Revali’s Gale last because I was playing fully blind and just happened to pick that order for beasts. I’m kind of glad I did. It feels like an end game super upgrade and I worry getting it too early may have removed somewhat of the challenge.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yikes, yeah that would be seriously painful. Heck, if anything getting Revali's Gale makes wandering the world so much easier (and getting some of the shrines).

I still can't get flurries to work even though I got the parry. Just something about the timing is off to me.

And I can only parry the lightbeams some of the time, and no one else.

So together we'd form a good BotW gamer! Oh if you hate parrying the guardian beams you really would hate it in Master Mode. They screw with you by messing up the timing on purpose.

My wife has a funny recording of a guardian actually dodging the parried beam. Never seen it before till then. The guardian side steps it like, "Nope!" and moved around.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

So together we'd form a good BotW gamer! Oh if you hate parrying the guardian beams you really would hate it in Master Mode. They screw with you by messing up the timing on purpose.

My wife has a funny recording of a guardian actually dodging the parried beam. Never seen it before till then. The guardian side steps it like, "Nope!" and moved around.

Oh yeah, Master Mode was just mean. I got the timing pretty well based on the sound of the attack, and then they disconnect the sound and the attack slightly so you have to do it completely visually.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    ravioli gale is so good, and the climb up to fishtown is one of my favorite gaming moments ever
    the unstoppable rain and the fact i was so newb and weak, even the lizalfos were a challenge.

and ouch finishing all shrines before going after the first beast does sound like a way to make the game less fun, I'd guess doing a bit of everything mixed up is a better way of not getting burned out.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    ravioli gale is so good, and the climb up to fishtown is one of my favorite gaming moments ever
    the unstoppable rain and the fact i was so newb and weak, even the lizalfos were a challenge.

and ouch finishing all shrines before going after the first beast does sound like a way to make the game less fun, I'd guess doing a bit of everything mixed up is a better way of not getting burned out.

I was mainly doing the shrines to get enough hearts to be able to last more than two hits against enemies, but the enemies just seemed to still hit me the same, so I kept going. It took me more than half the shrines to actually understand that the bastards were basically leveling with me.

Hell, I upgraded most of my armors before doing the beasts because I wanted survivability higher than the game seemed to want me to have. I've said it multiple times that this game's difficulty ramp is way steeper than I like my Zelda games to have, and I honestly don't see how the beast powers would have helped much with that at all. Then again, I didn't have them until the end, which I didn't even remember I had them after I got them, so maybe that's because of how I played.

I was just trying not to be so damn squishy. Dying isn't fun or interesting, it was just . . . another hike back to wherever I was last saved.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    well, daruk and mipha very directly make combat easier by giving you several more hits before dying (or dying for real)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It occurred to me that BOTW would be the perfect place to slot the nemesis system in. It already has an "all the enemies come back" mechanic with the blood moon; the only issue would be ensuring the player encounters their reborn bokoblin/lynel/lizalfos nemesis without it being tremendously annoying while you're out exploring.

QPPHj1J.jpg

I was mainly doing the shrines to get enough hearts to be able to last more than two hits against enemies, but the enemies just seemed to still hit me the same, so I kept going. It took me more than half the shrines to actually understand that the bastards were basically leveling with me.

Hell, I upgraded most of my armors before doing the beasts because I wanted survivability higher than the game seemed to want me to have. I've said it multiple times that this game's difficulty ramp is way steeper than I like my Zelda games to have, and I honestly don't see how the beast powers would have helped much with that at all. Then again, I didn't have them until the end, which I didn't even remember I had them after I got them, so maybe that's because of how I played.

I was just trying not to be so damn squishy. Dying isn't fun or interesting, it was just . . . another hike back to wherever I was last saved.

I'm curious. Did you make use of armor foods and/or hearty foods? Why or why not? Too high enemy damage is a common complaint and I'm wondering if the game could have done better on explaining things.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I'm curious. Did you make use of armor foods and/or hearty foods? Why or why not? Too high enemy damage is a common complaint and I'm wondering if the game could have done better on explaining things.

I found it explained food very poorly. I know the point was to experiment and find recipes, but it just wasn’t something I did until I saw some guides online.

Even then I just use food as a way to fund my house and armour purchases. Sorry Zelda, Links gotta run his kebab stand to buy a sweet house and duds before I come rescue you.

edited September 2020

I understood straight up nothing about food for so long, and I'm also so used to "def and atk stat bumps" as being useless to the point of irrelevance, so the game needed to have actively worked against that built-in game language. Even someone near an early pot talking about how some foods make you "tough as a Talus!" or "strong as a Guardian!" or "hearty as a Lynel!" would have helped to really sell that the stat boosting and heart boosting foods were really meant to be made and used more or less as often as you can.

The game didn't sell me on food, either the making/experimenting, nor the need to make and use it for anything other than straight healing. I'll also note I'm one of those players that is "consumable use averse", meaning I have all the elixirs at the end of any Final Fantasy because "what if I need it and die because I didn't have it?" is a constant legitimate worry across any game I've ever played, and in BotW included any kind of ingredients for food and potions, every bow, weapon, and shield, as well as the usual worries about using up arrows and money (at least bombs were endless). Like, if you can run out of a thing, it must be hoarded at all costs because being caught unready for something easily causes high levels of anxiety.

Kalnaur on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Once I found the forest of durians that gave +14 temp hearts when cooked I abused that for easy mode rest of the game.

steam_sig.png
    So I’m making an effort to do Miphas domain.
    First, that little story about Link and Mipha is adorable.

Second, fuck Lynels. Can I just buy the shock arrows I need?

-Loki- wrote: »

Yeah they don't care where you get them, so long as you have the required amount.

oosik_betsuni.png
    You can also sneak around the lynel to collect all the arrows, if you were trying to fight it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    You can also sneak around the lynel to collect all the arrows, if you were trying to fight it.

I did just buy the stealth armour.

-Loki- wrote: »

If I remember right, that is a sword-and-shield Lynel, always red which is the weakest kind.

There are a variety of things you can do: you can attempt to get the timing of dodge and flurry down, because with the sword ones they swipe three times straight forward, so it's dodging straight back with 3 opportunities to hit the timing right and counter and flurry; Lynels are always hard and hit damn hard, so if you try to fight it you'll probably die numerous times. You could strike out and find a place that sells lightning arrows, there's several places around the world that do. You could put on the ninja clothing from the starting town and sneak like hell around to the few arrows scattered around that place and pray to god the Lynel doesn't see you.

If you have the DLC you can get Majora's Mask which is a disguise the works on all enemies save guardians and giant ones like Hinox. This let's you walk right up to lynels and not get attacked.

If you have the DLC you can get Majora's Mask which is a disguise the works on all enemies save guardians and giant ones like Hinox. This let's you walk right up to lynels and not get attacked.

I do have the DLC but that feels too much like cheating.

Really though, if you want to to fight lynels successfully, the only surefire method is to Dark Souls it. Save before you start a fight and keep doing it until you win, then find another lynel and do it again. Before long you'll be in hard mode treating golden lynels like red bokoblins.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also statis plus is great for trolling Lynels. You can also nail em in the horns with an arrow to stun them.

If you're on their back all the hits you do don't damage your weapon. Helps a bunch. You can whack em hard to flinch em, or just dodge they're charge for an opening. Or sneak up on em. Or drop out of the air onto them.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
This discussion has been closed.