As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh my God yes. . .

Holy hell next year!

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Awwwwww... No Silent Hill...

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Okay, that ending piques my interest.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Knew there would be a $100 difference between the two systems; surprised it's $500/400 and not $600/500. I have to wonder if that wasn't the original plan, and Microsoft forced their hands.

EDIT: oh hey, GoW 2(the second 2)

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    499 and 399...not as bad as I was predicting as I expected 600 at launch.

Won't grab one at launch, but some time middle next year once both Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank are out.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Well, they showed a few good things, but the ones we didn't know about are 2021, at least; they didn't make a compelling case for getting a PS5 at launch. Aside from the price, I guess.

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Do we know if the digital edition has similar hardware as the normal one (except for disc drive)?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    Do we know if the digital edition has similar hardware as the normal one (except for disc drive)?

Identical, IIRC.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Are Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank release date games?

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

They're supposed to be identical aside from the disk drive.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I don't get what they're showing off here. What is the PS+ benefit? Playing old games?

Are they really going to lock backwards compatibility behind PS+?

Don't be that stupid, Sony.

EDIT: oh, it seems like there's just a big pile of games that will come with it. Still confused on how that's a new benefit. They're just throwing a bunch out there immediately instead of monthly. And they're some of the most popular games on the PS4, and people probably already have them. Is it implying that those games won't be available to play on the PS5 otherwise? They made zero attempt here to clarify the BC of the system.

They probably should have clarified BC, yeah, but my read on the PS+ stuff is that it's intended to be a competitor to something like Gamepass that's been building up its library. It also gives them a solid Day 1 library of games for people who maybe don't have a PS4 but are thinking about getting in with the 5, and is a better value proposition for PS+ for people who don't play multiplayer than what they've been doing.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Miles Morals is. Dunno about Ratchet and Clank.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    That Demon Souls combat looked to be as boring as possible.

Real pretty stuff around the boring looking combat.

As someone who kind of likes Souls game combat to be about spacing, timing of attacks that have some weight to them, and punishing the enemy for a heavy attack, that sounds encouraging to me.

Cartwheeling around with the bandit knife is probably still a thing. And I do like DS2 and Bloodborne, so I’m not totally averse to that. But it’s okay if the combat looks a little dull, as long as it doesn’t feel that way when playing.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited September 2020
    I think Cyberpunk 2077 in next gen is MS and SONY's major pushes for getting a console this year and it's not a bad push. Third parties are really filling the gap in between that and Q1 of next year. I doubt I'll get a PS5 at launch, but I can see people grabbing one especially console only players who want that fidelity for the holiday season. 2021 is going to be a massive year for SONY.

And 399 for the technically (no pun intended) uncompromised PS5-Digital is really something else. If you want the next gen console at the same price as you paid (if you were an early adopter) for the PS4 just without a disc drive - there you go.

As far as the "show" - disappointed we didn't get a DS release date (launch title would have been insane) but it looked fantastic. FFXVI I will play if only for the setting and pedigree behind it. DeathLoop has gone from "that looks interesting. . ." to "Oh it is Dishonored, splashed with Groundhogs Day. . .and you're being hunted by the AI". And of course God of War 2, continuing that story.

EDIT: Oh. Demon's Souls IS a launch title -

ED! on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Demon's Souls is a launch game, and also PC.

edited September 2020
    I wish they would say more about how Backwards compatibility works before I decide to trade in my PS4 for the PS5. I guess I'll find out once it releases. I need to know if I'll be able to carry my digitally bought games over to the PS5. I worry because of how I have tons of games I bought stuck on my PS3 that never came over. I trust Sony about as much as I do Nintendo when it comes to allowing me to carry my digital library over to the new system.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Miles Morals is. Dunno about Ratchet and Clank.

iirc Ratchet and Clank is "launch window" still so not release day, no.

Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I wish they would say more about how Backwards compatibility works before I decide to trade in my PS4 for the PS5. I guess I'll find out once it releases. I need to know if I'll be able to carry my digitally bought games over to the PS5. I worry because of how I have tons of games I bought stuck on my PS3 that never came over.

PS4 isn't backwards compatible with PS3, so uh, of course those never came over?

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I don't get what they're showing off here. What is the PS+ benefit? Playing old games?

EDIT: oh, it seems like there's just a big pile of games that will come with it. Still confused on how that's a new benefit. They're just throwing a bunch out there immediately instead of monthly. And they're some of the most popular games on the PS4, and people probably already have them. Is it implying that those games won't be available to play on the PS5 otherwise? They made zero attempt here to clarify the BC of the system.

It’s a nice enticement for people who may have skipped the last generation, or for whom this is their first Playsatation.

Buy a PS5 and hav3 a bunch of classic games to play on day one.

Bonus points if they’ve been tweaked for a more powerful console, for better frame rates, etc.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Demon's Souls is a launch game, and also PC.

Its funny how both Sony and Microsoft are equally pushing the PC as a gaming platform.

So, Miles Morales for PS5 also includes an improved version of the original:

M-Vickers wrote: »

It’s a nice enticement for people who may have skipped the last generation, or for whom this is their first Playsatation.

Bonus points if they’ve been tweaked for a more powerful console, for better frame rates, etc.

It just didn't explain anything. I have almost all of those games in my library already simply because the majority of them have been PS+ games with gold.

If this is just to entice people to move to Playstation if they didn't have it before (or didn't have PS+), that's fine, but say it.

What it seems like they're saying, without actually saying it, is that those games are the only ones you can expect to work on PS5 at launch, from your PS4 digital library.

And if that's the case, while Sony doesn't owe it to us to make the PS4 games work (and given PS3 games didn't work on PS4, digitally, it isn't surprising), it still would be a nice gesture given the nature of digital libraries and how that makes the argument for backward compatibility substantially more important than it was in the past. Particularly since Microsoft is saying, basically "here, play everything". Restrictions are already a knock against the PS5, but the confusing messaging is just exacerbating the problem.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Per Sony, #PlayStation5
    pre-orders will be available starting TOMORROW at select retailers. - Geoff Keighley

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

It just didn't explain anything. I have almost all of those games in my library already simply because the majority of them have been PS+ games with gold.

If this is just to entice people to move to Playstation if they didn't have it before (or didn't have PS+), that's fine, but say it.

What it seems like they're saying, without actually saying it, is that those games are the only ones you can expect to work on PS5 at launch, from your PS4 digital library.

And if that's the case, while Sony doesn't owe it to us to make the PS4 games work (and given PS3 games didn't work on PS4, digitally, it isn't surprising), it still would be a nice gesture given the nature of digital libraries and how that makes the argument for backward compatibility substantially more important than it was in the past. Particularly since Microsoft is saying, basically "here, play everything". Restrictions are already a knock against the PS5, but the confusing messaging is just exacerbating the problem.

I just don't see how you took that away from what they said. It was an advertisement for PS+, not backwards compatibility.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    During the PS5 system specs deep dive in March 2020, Mike Cerny revealed that nearly all of the top 100 PS4 games (ranked by playtime) would be playable on the PS5 at launch.

This was later elaborated on in a post by Hideaki Nishino on the official PlayStation blog about the PS5 specs. There it was explained that Sony hopes that the majority of games released for the PS4 will be playable on the PS5.

They need to elaborate on this at some point, but I don't think they were remotely suggesting that "no actually it's just this handful of games and only if you have PS+." It's a completely separate thing.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yes. It's called "PS Plus Collection." COLLECTION.

It's a collection of games that have been featured on PS Plus in the past.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    That $400 digital version is super enticing.

All my games are digital, all the future games I'm gonna get will be digital, I don't buy blu-rays anymore, I watch all my tv/movies/anime/etc digitally. And yet I'm still kinda iffy on getting a discless one "just in case" I want to do something with a disc at some point. I dunno, $100 is a lot of money for a what-if.

Stabbity_Style.png

Uh. What? MONSTER HUNTER is absolutely not a PS+ Library title. GOD OF WAR? When did that come to PS+? Same for the other titles included (maybe Infamous did at some point but I doubt it).

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    ED! wrote: »

Uh. What? MONSTER HUNTER is absolutely not a PS+ Library title. GOD OF WAR? When did that come to PS+? Same for the other titles included (maybe Infamous did at some point but I doubt it).

Infamous definitely did. Don't think either of those other two did. I just checked on Dad of War and it didn't.

Edit: Oh and I don't think Days Gone has yet either though it was definitely gonna show up there at some point.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    ED! wrote: »

Infamous definitely did. Don't think either of those other two did. I just checked on Dad of War and it didn't.

Edit: Oh and I don't think Days Gone has yet either though it was definitely gonna show up there at some point.

Ah ok. I figured it might have as I recall First Light being on PS+ at some point. Still, this is a pretty damn good curated list of titles to dump on someone who wants a reason to play some of these titles who hasn't yet. Especially if there are some performance tweaks for them.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm more afraid of them doing a "Yeah the PS5 is backwards compatible but only if you have an active PSPlus subscription".

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I wish they would say more about how Backwards compatibility works before I decide to trade in my PS4 for the PS5. I guess I'll find out once it releases. I need to know if I'll be able to carry my digitally bought games over to the PS5. I worry because of how I have tons of games I bought stuck on my PS3 that never came over. I trust Sony about as much as I do Nintendo when it comes to allowing me to carry my digital library over to the new system.

I'm in the same boat, but because I never actually got a ps4. If only a limited selection is compatible, then I'm going to get a ps4 pro, but if I can play just about everything, I'm going to just get a ps5.

sig.gif
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/playstation-5-launches-in-november-starting-at-399-for-ps5-digital-edition-and-499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/
    PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
    Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
    Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
    Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
    Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
    Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

Guess we're moving on to $70/€80 game prices.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm more afraid of them doing a "Yeah the PS5 is backwards compatible but only if you have an active PSPlus subscription".

They're not.

edited September 2020

Why yes, I will indeed buy Spider-Man again as a freebie with my Miles Morales game.

I hope that the Miles game isn't just a short side story like the dlc stories they did for the base game. I really hope it has some substance to it. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/playstation-5-launches-in-november-starting-at-399-for-ps5-digital-edition-and-499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/
    PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
    Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
    Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
    Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
    Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
    Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

Guess we're moving on to $70/€80 game prices.

Crud, looks like 70.00 is the new 60.00 for next gen. Fortunately most of these will be cheaper within a couple months.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

Why yes, I will indeed buy Spider-Man again as a freebie with my Miles Morales game.

I hope that the Miles game isn't just a short side story like the dlc stories they did for the base game. I really hope it has some substance to it. :?

To my shame, I never finished Spider-Man so this will be a great way to get back into that. . .eventually. Also, they seem to valuing Miles Morales at 50 bucks so I think it'll be substantial, but using old assets/city to cover that cost.

I just don't see how you took that away from what they said. It was an advertisement for PS+, not backwards compatibility.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    During the PS5 system specs deep dive in March 2020, Mike Cerny revealed that nearly all of the top 100 PS4 games (ranked by playtime) would be playable on the PS5 at launch.

This was later elaborated on in a post by Hideaki Nishino on the official PlayStation blog about the PS5 specs. There it was explained that Sony hopes that the majority of games released for the PS4 will be playable on the PS5.

They need to elaborate on this at some point, but I don't think they were remotely suggesting that "no actually it's just this handful of games and only if you have PS+." It's a completely separate thing.

I don't understand how you can say it wasn't an advertisement for backwards compatibility, which it was all games that are a previous generation that you can play on the PS5, assuming you have PS+; that is the literal definition of backwards compatibility.

Yes, it's a collection of games.

That are compatible with the new generation console, from the previous generation.

And I am specifically talking about digital games, as I said in my post. They haven't clarified if your digital library will be BC, or just discs; and this is further complicated by the all digital version. And they haven't clarified if their claimed compatibility they hope to have for a majority of PS4 games requires a PS+ subscription; a question I wouldn't have even thought to ask before.

I will admit, when I said "majority of them have been PS+", I was wrong, 8 of the 18 have been, so there are plenty that weren't. However, I still stand by my point in another post that they are also a list of the most popular games for the PS4, and there is a high likelihood that people already own them; which is specifically why I'm arguing that this just makes it more confusing. Because if there's something notable about this collection that it will be playable immediately on PS5, and needs a PS+ account to play, it feels unspoken that they won't be playable without a PS+ account. Maybe there is a massive audience who doesn't have a PS4, doesn't have those games, and will be convinced to get a PS5 instead of an XBSX, because of this? It seems unlikely, given how absurdly successful the PS4 has been, and how popular that list of games is.

Just don't act like it all makes sense, when it clearly doesn't.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The most exciting thing from this was a mainline numbered Final Fantasy being actual fantasy again lol

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    If you have to rebuy your old games to play in the new system, then it's not backwards compatibility, in any meaning that it's had before. I really wish they would clarify all this.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.