As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    not practical maybe but 100% in character

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And 100% believable as a thing a human would do.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I like to think Lulu just has a personal ice spell going 24/7 so she doesn't faint from heat exhaustion.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    q21qbpqzeflx.jpeg

Does anyone know who drew this? Because I just love it unconditionally.

It’s a redesign of Cloud of course, but it makes me want to see making new SOLDIERs a thing.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    q21qbpqzeflx.jpeg

Does anyone know who drew this? Because I just love it unconditionally.

It’s a redesign of Cloud of course, but it makes me want to see making new SOLDIERs a thing.

https://nikolasdraperivey.tumblr.com/

https://www.instagram.com/nikolasdraperivey/?hl=en

https://www.nikolasdraperivey.net/

He also did the Black Panther album cover. Trying to find some of his other FFVII fanart, it's incredible stuff.

*edit* Here's some more links I found on his IG:

More Black Cloud:

Tifa, Sephiroth, and a black Noctis:

More stuff under a spoiler tag

Sora:

Japanese Barrett:

Tifa detail:

*edit2* Here's a Kotaku article with all his FFVII redesigns

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-viis-cast-revised-1794399178

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I wish I had the skill for it, because I’d totally be down for #mySOLDIER.

Thank you for the links.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I mean.... QED, I suppose?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I may be late to this party, but:

Holy craaaaaap Pitioss Ruins are some hot garbage. Hoooooooot. Gaaaaaaaarbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    a bit of a minor necropost, but the VA for Aerith has gotten back to streaming the game after a pretty long hiatus, and she had this pretty cute moment earlier tonight

https://clips.twitch.tv/NimbleTsundereLettucePeteZarollTie

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's awesome.

And also now I wanna replay the game because I'd like the sequel now please...

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Creeping ever closer to that inevitable pc release so I can finally play it.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    anyone playing crystal chronicles?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

On the fence about the remaster and was hoping for some opinions, since it sounds like multiplayer has some issues... chiefly the inability to count for progression when joining someone. (Which is silly - just have it count if it's a run that would have counted if you were hosting)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

On the fence about the remaster and was hoping for some opinions, since it sounds like multiplayer has some issues... chiefly the inability to count for progression when joining someone. (Which is silly - just have it count if it's a run that would have counted if you were hosting)

Yeah, the way multiplayer works is a bit strange all around.

A: it doesn't use the base console's friend system. This makes sense as it has cross platform multiplayer, but it is not a very intuitive system at all.
    B: you end up doing each area multiple times if you want to play through the game with friends. It does seem like you still get rewards, just not quest/diary progress.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Crystal Chronicles apparently does not support cross region play.

Guess I am not playing with my friends in the US/Canada after all

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

i mean, that makes sense, it's not like we speak the same language! /sarcasm

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

Think of the lag, tho.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Cross posting from the SE PC thread. Looks like I'm grabbing FF9 for the 3rd platform now ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uMcim5KEi8&feature=emb_logo

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah I saw that and was like eyyyyyy I guess it’s time to FINALLY replay Ff9. I haven’t touched that game since it came out and at least then it was my fave. I kind of soured on it a bit since because it didn’t hold up visually for me and I remembered how slow the gameplay was. Now both of those are fixed!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm about 3/4 of the way into Dawn of the Future, and I can definitely see how this is DLC. I'm really pissed off we didn't get the
    Diamond Weapon fight
    in the second chapter, that would have been amazing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    LD50 wrote: »

A: it doesn't use the base console's friend system. This makes sense as it has cross platform multiplayer, but it is not a very intuitive system at all.
    B: you end up doing each area multiple times if you want to play through the game with friends. It does seem like you still get rewards, just not quest/diary progress.
    Turns out B is only true for players not on your FFCC friend list. I found the in-game multiplayer tutorial screen explains it. Here's my take on the instructions:
    1. From the World Map, open the Main Menu.
    2. Select Friends.
    3. Exchange your Invite Codes (long, always searchable) or One-Time Invite Codes (short, searchable for 30 mins).
    4. Search for each other's Invite Codes, then Follow each other. This adds you to each other's Friends list.
    Once you have friends in your list, you can invite them as follows:
    1. Use main menu option Set out Together.
    2. Host a dungeon, and choose Friends only
    You will then be able to invite specific friends from your list, and they can join you no matter where their caravan is.
    Invites will pop up on your friends screens, provided they're on the World Map. They can then each press Y and accept or reject.

The not sharing story progress thing is straight from the original. You're temporarily joining the Host's caravan and getting myrrh for their chalice. This was a lot more obvious when you had to literally insert your memory card in slot B and load a copy of your character into their caravan's temporary slots, then copy it back when done. That said, while you don't share stage unlocks or myrrh drops, you have always kept any and all items and artifacts obtained while buddied up.

Could they have changed it? Perhaps, but I'd not want to be the programmer who has to figure how to share progress between two or more different game states.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

Turns out B is only true for players not on your FFCC friend list. I found the in-game multiplayer tutorial screen explains it. Here's my take on the instructions:
    1. From the World Map, open the Main Menu.
    2. Select Friends.
    3. Exchange your Invite Codes (long, always searchable) or One-Time Invite Codes (short, searchable for 30 mins).
    4. Search for each other's Invite Codes, then Follow each other. This adds you to each other's Friends list.
    Once you have friends in your list, you can invite them as follows:
    1. Use main menu option Set out Together.
    2. Host a dungeon, and choose Friends only
    You will then be able to invite specific friends from your list, and they can join you no matter where their caravan is.
    Invites will pop up on your friends screens, provided they're on the World Map. They can then each press Y and accept or reject.

The not sharing story progress thing is straight from the original. You're temporarily joining the Host's caravan and getting myrrh for their chalice. This was a lot more obvious when you had to literally insert your memory card in slot B and load a copy of your character into their caravan's temporary slots, then copy it back when done. That said, while you don't share stage unlocks or myrrh drops, you have always kept any and all items and artifacts obtained while buddied up.

Could they have changed it? Perhaps, but I'd not want to be the programmer who has to figure how to share progress between two or more different game states.

The invites don't seem to work. My friend and I have only been able to join each other by selecting the lobby from the lobby list. That's not much of an issue though because it puts the lobby at the top of the list because we're friends.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Finished Dawn of the Future.

It's clearly DLC Gameplay: The Book, but I still enjoyed it.

I'd rank them: Luna's(my god this would have been great) > Aranea's > Noctis'.

The ending retcons XV's to no end, but it was so tied up in a sweet little bow that I can't even be mad.
    Ardyn deserves a happy ending, and I'm glad he got it.

This image was great, too:

f86ftmk13iz8.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm glad it's presented as an alternate timeline, because if it was the true ending, I'd be rolling my eyes. It just sucks all the emotional punch out of the whole point of the main game.

• Options
    I'm glad it's presented as an alternate timeline, because if it was the true ending, I'd be rolling my eyes. It just sucks all the emotional punch out of the whole point of the main game.

It still has a bittersweet ending, but Ardyn and Luna are treated worlds better. Noctis even remarks something to the effect of
    wow, and to think I was gonna kill this guy for revenge. How foolish would that have been!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tBnBAkHv9M

Okay so I can definitely see Squeenix chasing a few trends with this...but other than that I like the back to basic approach to the setting. I'm already more intrigued by this preview than those of any of XV's.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm kinda mixed on the traditional fantasy setting. I've liked them being in the modern-ish sci-fi/fantasy stuff they've beeing doing with FF15 and FF7-R. I guess we'll see if they nail it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I'm kinda mixed on the traditional fantasy setting. I've liked them being in the modern-ish sci-fi/fantasy stuff they've beeing doing with FF15 and FF7-R. I guess we'll see if they nail it.

I prefer the contrasts you see in stuff like XII, myself.

Ifrit and Phoenix is an unusual pairing choice I think. I don't want it to be a solo outing though, show us some party members!

• Options
    edited September 2020

We've already had a few FF titles with an sci-fi setting in the last few years. I think it's fine that they swing back to a more traditional fantasy for an entry.

And besides, even a lot of the games with sword and sorcery/medieval fantasy settings had stuff like magitek, parallel universes/time travel, or even secret aliens. So it's not out of the question that we'll get some sort of sci-fi nonsense hiding away in XVI

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

We've already had a few FF titles with an sci-fi setting in the last few years. I think it's fine that they swing back to a more traditional fantasy for an entry.

And besides, even a lot of the games with sword and sorcery/medieval fantasy settings had stuff like magitek, parallel universes/time travel, or even secret aliens. So it's not out of the question that we'll get some sort of sci-fi nonsense hiding away in XVI

I don't think a single mainline entry hasn't had magitek somewhere in it, have they?

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    That trailer did nothing for me at all. Blah blah crystals blah blah look we came up with a new word for summons. Snooze.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    sometimes it's a little more magi and sometimes it's a little more tek, but they pretty much always have something

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    That trailer did nothing for me at all. Blah blah crystals blah blah look we came up with a new word for summons. Snooze.

What do you mean a new word? That one's been around for several years. It's Yoshi-P's favorite :rotate:

• Options
    Apparently Yoshi-P is also producing this one, which is news to me.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Interesting that they seem to be folding in some terms from FFXIV into this. Eikons as the term for summons, the Mothercrystal... Also, I wonder if that lady was referring to Crusaders as in human knights, or an Eikon; Crusader was a particularly deadly Esper in Final Fnatasy VI.

The game certainly looks very pretty, though most of the lighting has been fairly dark or firelit.

Continuing to go an action route is a choice, certainly, but it can be executed well. It seems interesting to me that our main character appears to have a Phoenix wing as a launcher move, when Joshua there is the Phoenix; I'm assuming something big happens that gives him the powers of Eikons.

I gotta say, I wasn't actually expecting an Final Fantasy XVI announcement this soon. Granted, we don't have a release date or anything, but I had been expecting the FFVII-R project to eat up a lot of the PS5 lifecycle.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

What do you mean a new word? That one's been around for several years. It's Yoshi-P's favorite :rotate:

I never played 14 past the first couple levels so I wouldn't know. But if you told me that footage was actually just another expansion for 14 I wouldn't have questioned it.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Man maybe they just don't make final fantasies for me anymore. That world gave me such a IX vibe i was all for it, but the gameplay shots were an active turnoff. They could have at least done a full cinematic trailer without gameplay so i could get hyped before seeing the combat system and deflating.

• Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

I don't think a single mainline entry hasn't had magitek somewhere in it, have they?
    1. The buried Airship, and the lost sky civilization that built robots and teleporters.
    2. This one's fairly rooted in magic or tech, but I suppose some of the airships like the Dreadnought could count as magitek?
    3. Lots of magitek, particularly with the Tower of Owen or Crystal Tower.
    4. Largely moon stuff, like the Tower of Babil.
    5. Crystals powering tech is part of the early game, and there's the lost civilization of Ronka.
    6. Well, this game named Magitek.
    7. Shinra and Shinra accessories.
    8. Higher tech than most games; the Gardens come to mind, as does the Junction system.
    9. Mostly Terran stuff, like the Invincible, and also things like Black Mage production.
    10. LOTS. All the Machina, for one. But also stuff like the Blitzball stadiums or the cloisters.
    11. didn't play XI, so I'm not sure. But I'm assuming so.
    12. Airships and such are powered on magicite, and a magitek arms race is a major part of the plot.
    13. Again, not one I played yet, but we've got higher tech gunblades and flying cities.
    14. This one takes a lot of cues from FFVI; the empire uses Magitek to compensate for not having natural magic.
    15. Lost on this one, too. But I'm assuming so from what I have seen. Lots of flying imperial troops with magic guns, IIRC.

• Options
    Man maybe they just don't make final fantasies for me anymore. That world gave me such a IX vibe i was all for it, but the gameplay shots were an active turnoff. They could have at least done a full cinematic trailer without gameplay so i could get hyped before seeing the combat system and deflating.

If this gameplay route was going to be a full turnoff regardless, I figure it's best to have that be known right out the gate so that it doesn't build up to a crash.