As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Pretty devastating conference for Microsoft. Actual gameplay footage that looks great and several big exclusives. I don't think the Gamepass price proposition is going to cut it.

Can't believe they're getting the price for the discless version that low.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm actually impressed Final Fantasy XVI will have any timed exclusivity. Sony must've moneyhat'd hard for that (which is a thing companies do, certainly).

I would've been annoyed if FFXV, which I really like, had any sort of timed exclusivity, but I'm personally less interested in what little we've seen (and the whole "It's kind of like Dark Souls!" implication), on top of not having a release date (for all we know, it won't be out before the Playstation 5 Superpro is released, this is S-E after all), I'm a lot less upset about the concept of waiting for x time when it launches in year y.

just to be clear, the announcements on FF16 and Deathloop do not suggest timed exclusivity. they were marked as 'console exclusives' period, with small print noting that they will also be available on PC.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    I'm actually impressed Final Fantasy XVI will have any timed exclusivity. Sony must've moneyhat'd hard for that (which is a thing companies do, certainly).

I would've been annoyed if FFXV, which I really like, had any sort of timed exclusivity, but I'm personally less interested in what little we've seen (and the whole "It's kind of like Dark Souls!" implication), on top of not having a release date (for all we know, it won't be out before the Playstation 5 Superpro is released, this is S-E after all), I'm a lot less upset about the concept of waiting for x time when it launches in year y.

just to be clear, the announcements on FF16 and Deathloop do not suggest timed exclusivity. they were marked as 'console exclusives' period, with small print noting that they will also be available on PC.

Oh, I just saw headlines describing timed console exclusivity for FFXVI. And I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't come to Xbox Series X--even the Final Fantasy VII remake is, after all, and the last Playtation-exclusive singleplayer FF title was FFXII, and even that's not true anymore (though I'd accept "a decade or more" as effective exclusivity). But it's still speculation on my part.

I don't know anything about Deathloop, I haven't heard about it until today.

Synthesis on

Oh, I just saw headlines describing timed console exclusivity for FFXVI. And I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't come to Xbox Series X--even the Final Fantasy VII remake is, after all, and the last Playtation-exclusive singleplayer FF title was FFXII, and even that's not true anymore (though I'd accept "a decade or more" as effective exclusivity). But it's still speculation on my part.

I don't know anything about Deathloop, I haven't heard about it until today.

Deathloop is Arkane's next title. its been shown of a couple times prior but hasn't had a big push just yet.

and here's Sony's halfhearted swipe at Game Pass i guess,

PS+ members on PS5 get access to the big first party titles from this gen and a couple big third party titles too. great if you're switching from Xbox to PS, not a massive bonus otherwise though.

It's basically a bonus giveaway like the four monthly titles (still four? Probably, I don't have PS+), but more, right? I don't think they're necessarily part of a library like PSNow.

It's a good list of games! At least I think so--a few very forgettable titles (*cough*David Cage*cough), but some excellent ones too. Xbox periodically gives away games to XBL Gold subscribers for seasonal reasons (not part of Games with Gold), but that's a bunch at once, which naturally makes it better.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    also, Demon's Souls of all things is just a timed console exclusive

Crippl3 wrote: »

I think that might stay that way. It's kind of like hearing "Hey, the Gears of War remaster we just announced is a timed exclusive!" :lol:

i guess Sony realised they forgot to include something...

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I’m tempted to get the driveless PS5 in the new year - the smaller hard drive is fine as I’d only be playing the exclusives on it.

2021 could be a great year for gaming.

Wow. You think they would mention that, it's kind of a big deal date-wise no?

Sony: We hate giving you advanced warning, as usual.

That reminds me, I'll go ahead and update the thread title (rather late) as well.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

6fmcha1uuqwg.jpeg

I think this reads as timed exclusivity.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I think that might stay that way. It's kind of like hearing "Hey, the Gears of War remaster we just announced is a timed exclusive!" :lol:

EiEKfmEWoAMVSNW.jpg

"Not available on other consoles for a limited time."
    that's a timed exclusive that's coming to xbox

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Just seeing how far they can walk the line on false advertising then.

edited September 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

6fmcha1uuqwg.jpeg

Yeah, again, I'd be very surprised that Sony could afford Final Fantasy XVI console exclusivity. They couldn't even get away with not mentioning a PC release. They couldn't even get console exclusivity for Final Fantasy VII's remake.

That'd be like Microsoft getting console exclusivity for a Call of Duty release.

EDIT: And I'm belatedly realizing that the new thread title isn't ideal across time-zones and will basically be obsolete come one week from now. I need to stick to bad jokes. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I wish Microsoft just paid for Cyberpunk to be "console exclusive." Hell, do it now, last minute, Sony does it all the time.

TexiKen wrote: »
    I wish Microsoft just paid for Cyberpunk to be "console exclusive." Hell, do it now, last minute, Sony does it all the time.

Not nearly as often as they used to. Remember when Devil May Cry was a Sony exclusive*?

*Don't buy it on PC, it's from the era of bad ports.

so for all of Sony's crowing about 'true next gen experiences', they are 'happy to announce' that 3 of their biggest 1st party PS5 titles announced so far will be available on PS4. Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure and Horizon: Forbidden West will all see PS4 versions.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

6fmcha1uuqwg.jpeg

It's a very bizarre wording, for sure.

like, if it's never leaving that platform's ecosystem... then why include the notice?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Is anyone actually surprised? We already knew Spiderman was a PS4 title moved to PS5...so that the PS5 would have at least one exclusive launch title. Those other two games are slated for 2021 anyway.

I mean, it's perfectly reasonable. Look at Halo Infinite--originally an Xbox One title.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm surprised because I was actually tempted by the 400 PS5 but if I can just play Miles Morales on my PS4 Pro why bother.

I'm surprised because I was actually tempted by the 400 PS5 but if I can just play Miles Morales on my PS4 Pro why bother.

What? A few years from now you'll be able to play the PS5-only remastered "True Version" of the game!

Yeah, maybe it's just because I didn't care for Spiderman on PS4, but I've yet to see anything on Miles Morales that says "This game could only come out on PS5." Because there really isn't, as far as I can tell. As oppose to that Lots-of-very-detailed-statues-in-a-tomb "game", which, yes, I could see as not being possible on PS4.

Yeah, maybe it's just because I didn't care for Spiderman on PS4, but I've yet to see anything on Miles Morales that says "This game could only come out on PS5." Because there really isn't, as far as I can tell. As oppose to that Lots-of-very-detailed-statues-in-a-tomb "game", which, yes, I could see as not being possible on PS4.

the point isn't whether it could be available on the PS4, the point is that Sony has spent the last couple of months talking about how they 'believe in console generations' and great leaps forward and how you need the brand new PS controller because games just wont be the same without it* and then sneak into a blog post the fact that 3 of their biggest selling points for next gen will actually be cross gen. its one of the key advantages Sony has had of late, that they would be delivering games that wouldn't be available on current gen hardware and that list of games just shrank drastically.

*and yes i know this is largely marketing bullshit

Have.any next gen only games been confirmed ? Ones with actual release dates, not ‘coming eventually’ games.

I seem to remember Microsoft saying Halo was Series S/X only, after originally saying it was cross-gen originally ?

Not sure, though.

Also, is it November yet ?

M-Vickers wrote: »
    Have.any next gen only games been confirmed ? Ones with actual release dates, not ‘coming eventually’ games.

I seem to remember Microsoft saying Halo was Series S/X only, after originally saying it was cross-gen originally ?

Not sure, though.

Also, is it November yet ?

Demon's Souls i think. and there's no mention of a PS4 version of the next Ratchet and Clank. Sony just announced the next God of War but we'll need to wait and see on that one.

Halo Infinite is still slated to release on current gen hardware, though there were supposed leaks that claimed dropping Xbox One support had been discussed.

i don't think any major 3rd parties have announced any next gen only titles, though i might be wrong on that. expect them to start cropping up next year though as devs and publishers try to cut down on costs by abandoning older hardware.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    'Sony Says Demon's Souls Remake Isn't Coming To PC And 'Other Consoles'

Also, Sony first party titles are now 70 bucks a pop in the states.

IDK, I didn't play FF15 until it came to Gamepass and even then never finished it so it's hard to care about FF16. I'm sort of happy to see it's more straight fantasy than cars and such but doubt I ever play it. The digital only sku price is the only real surprise? They must be taking a bath on that because that drive isn't a 100 dollar price difference. Are the SSDs inside both confirmed to be the same size?

Nosf on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Ff15 was fine till you hit halfway and then all of a sudden it felt like everything was happening super quick.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in that the ff 16 looked like an ff 14 expansion. Like if that's next gen I don't know what is next gen about it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Nosf wrote: »
    'Sony Says Demon's Souls Remake Isn't Coming To PC And 'Other Consoles'

Also, Sony first party titles are now 70 bucks a pop in the states.

IDK, I didn't play FF15 until it came to Gamepass and even then never finished it so it's hard to care about FF16. I'm sort of happy to see it's more straight fantasy than cars and such but doubt I ever play it. The digital only sku price is the only real surprise? They must be taking a bath on that because that drive isn't a 100 dollar price difference. Are the SSDs inside both confirmed to be the same size?

They’re identical, apart from the drive.

I find the pricing odd. With Xbox, you’re paying almost half for a weaker machine, but with new stuff, ie a better cpu, and faster hard drive. So you have lower resolution gaming vs 4K goodness.

With Sony, it’s a 100 less for no drive. But as they’re otherwise identical, you’re essentially paying 100 for the drive. It’s almost like the drive is being held hostage.

And with the price increase for games, and the fact that new digital releases generally cost 10 extra (in £ and $, not sure about other currencies) it means your savings on the cheaper drive will be eaten up by the first 10 games you buy, after which all new games will have to cost you more, as you don’t have the option of opting for the cheaper disk version.

I do wonder about the uptake rate for the disk less PS5, as I’m not sure who, if anyone, it is specifically marketed at, except for the people who have already made the switch to all digital, for whom it’s a flat £/$100 saving.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I can't imagine paying 100 more for the drive. I wish I could get a Series X for 100 off without a drive!

FF16 is years and years away; it does look suspiciously like the MMO, the characters are all super drab looking with very little if any skin detail outside of those tattoos.

Nosf on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The thing is, we don't need a remaster. We need a full remake using the combat from Andromeda.

I'm way behind on this, but wasn't the combat in 2 and 3 considered good? I thought it was only one that had horrible gameplay that could use an update.

Note, I've played about 20 minutes of 1, maaaaybe an hour, and that's it as it didbt grab me, over the whole series

RickRude wrote: »
    The thing is, we don't need a remaster. We need a full remake using the combat from Andromeda.

I'm way behind on this, but wasn't the combat in 2 and 3 considered good? I thought it was only one that had horrible gameplay that could use an update.

Note, I've played about 20 minutes of 1, maaaaybe an hour, and that's it as it didbt grab me, over the whole series

It was, but the Andromeda combat was another improvement. Jet packs !

I’d settle for 3’s combat engine, though.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm less than impressed about how disc drives are effectively being held for such significant ransoms on both XSX and PS5.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

It was very good in 2 and 3. I can see why some would prefer Andromeda's but honestly 2 and 3 hit the sweet spot for me.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Combat in 2/3 was objectively better. But not having played Andromeda can't say which is better.

The only way I would get a remastered Mass Effect is if they remastered the shitty stories of 2/3. I have them and don't even want to play them now.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in that the ff 16 looked like an ff 14 expansion. Like if that's next gen I don't know what is next gen about it.

Its the exact same visual style as 14 and were in the land of diminishing returns on that stuff.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    PS5 looks great. I'm plenty busy with PC, Switch, and soon the Series X for now, but I'll for sure pick up a PS5 in the next few years. More than likely not the discless version though. I'm not big on no disc drive for my consoles yet.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    TRAITORS!

...or something?

Anyone planning on getting up early on the 22nd to get their preorders in ?

They go live at 8am in the uk, so I’ll be up early hitting refresh.

I don’t know whether to grab an external drive at the same time. Seagate were doing a 5Tb for £120 recently, and I was tempted then.

Destiny 2 will be over 100gb, and that will have a permanent place on the internal drive. I can see Cyberpunk being a permanent resident for a good while. I probably have another 300gb or so of permanent games, so that doesn’t leave me much for future new games or Gamepass impulse installs...

When do the Black Friday Amazon sales start ? They’re normally decent for electronics, right ?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    TRAITORS!

...or something?

Hey we have more fun when we let ourselves enjoy all the consoles that are offered to us.

Except for Stadia. Screw that thing.

Steam: offday