As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm Mikklesen Picklesen. If anyone wants to invite me that would be cool.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    FFXVI just got announced at the Sony event, Yoshi-P is producing

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Au'ra
    Okay, if Yoshi-P's the producer I'm entirely on board.

That also might explain why they keep saying mothercrystal and eikon in the trailer.
    Just watch him stealth have this be a shard

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Okay, if Yoshi-P's the producer I'm entirely on board.

That also might explain why they keep saying mothercrystal and eikon in the trailer.
    Just watch him stealth have this be a shard
    Shiva has me doubting, even more than the initial "nah". Ifrit and Phoenix are things Lahabrea made that one time, but Shiva's based on a historical figure from the Source, after the sundering.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    This will not be connected to ff14

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I use a lot of fantasias
    turtleant wrote: »
    This will not be connected to ff14

but it'd be cooler if it did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Honestly, I disagree.

My ass is sick of cinematic universes

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    it's a videogame though so no issue

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Lalafell
    I’m sure they’re going to chuck in a reference or character crossover anyway (as they did with Shantotto, Lightning, Iroha, and Noctis around the time of their games doing things), so they don’t eeally need the game to be in the FFXIV world.

• Options
    I hope someone didn’t just invite me to the FC, I declined it because I didn’t recognize anything about it! But if it was someone from here, apologies, and please send the invite again!

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    The biggest possible issue I have with XVI is that somebody in that trailer said the name Joshua which makes me think that the protagonist is going to have the same name as me and that's going to be weird as hell hearing these anime video game people constantly calling my name out if that's the case.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The biggest possible issue I have with XVI is that somebody in that trailer said the name Joshua which makes me think that the protagonist is going to have the same name as me and that's going to be weird as hell hearing these anime video game people constantly calling my name out if that's the case.

Imma be honest, as someone named "Adam" I do not sympathize.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I've watched the trailer enough times that I feel like I have the basic story beats down from what they've shown so far. Spoiled for speculation
    From the two different MC designs (clean cut pretty boy vs tatoo/scar/beard) there seems to be a time skip thing going on, with the Shiva vs Titan army stuff happening later, and the Ifrit fire apocalypse, the Malboro and Dragoon fights, and the village/castle scenes taking place in the past. MC is a Duke's son and refered to as "The Phoenix" (hence the fire wing stuff during combat), and is the older brother and/or sworn protector of Joshua. I'm assuming there is a bit of a prologue with the marbolo fight and stuff, then the big castle invasion/assassination stuff where the dragoon fight happens, your dad gets murdered, and Joshua freaks the fuck out and transforms into Ifrit (and you try to restrain him as phoenix?). The rest of the stuff seemed to be set later, where your character is apart of whatever unit is fighting in the Shiva/Titan battle, so I'm assuming there is a timeskip after the big Ifrit/Phoenix clash and your character is either incognito/a prisoner/amnesiac (god pls no) and the story picks up from there.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    I’m sure they’re going to chuck in a reference or character crossover anyway (as they did with Shantotto, Lightning, Iroha, and Noctis around the time of their games doing things), so they don’t eeally need the game to be in the FFXIV world.

50/50 Greg shows up in XVI.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

Greg missed out on 7 and 10, but otherwise he's found time for every numbered title. Granted, though, for 15 he was relegated to DLC.

• Options
    Lalafell
    Neveron wrote: »

Greg missed out on 7 and 10, but otherwise he's found time for every numbered title. Granted, though, for 15 he was relegated to DLC.

“I was starting to worry you’d never download this part of the game, and I’d be stuck in digital limbo!”

——————

Also, while he’s not showed up in FFVII or FFX themselves, his appearance in FFXII implies he’s been to those worlds off-camera. Among his weapons in that game are a replica Buster Sword with “FAKE” printed on the blade, and an off-model Brotherhood.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Greg appears in one of the FFVII remake chapters.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I miss when the world's most prestigious JRPG franchise actually included JRPGs. I have no doubt it will be a very polished action game, but I don't want an action game. I want to command a squad of interesting characters and have granular control over all of their abilities. The last time they gave me that was FF10.

Also, I don't like the gore. It feels out of place. And the overall aesthetic is uninspiring so far. One of the things I love about FF games is the bonkers world and character design. Even when it's a fashion stumble (asymmetric black rubber nu-metal lederhosen and a canary yellow bolero), there's something about the attempt that I usually find charming. I'm sure they've got some anime as fuck looking characters and stunning vistas that didn't make it into that trailer, but what did make it into that trailer looks super boring to me.

Overall optimism: 4 out of 10, with bonus points already awarded for how much I respect some of the named contributors.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    someone on reddit pointed out that you can tell the ffxvi trailer is for a yoshi-p game because a dragoon shows up and dies within seconds

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    We finish out the new Tales from the Shadows with An Unpromised Tomorrow, in which those who fought to save a past no longer their own find their work did not go unnoticed...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Lalafell
    That was really good.

• Options
    Thanks for the invite to the FC!

I've been getting a lot of crashes on my PC lately. Looks like a common issue for folks - some kind of directX thing.

I can play it on my laptop but dang, if I can't play this on my PC for fear of crashing, that's a bummer.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I normally don't have any problems, but I can't boot up the game today.

I have the Steam version, and get through the launcher fine, but after I log in and hit Play there, it gives me a full black screen for a while and then closes itself.

Normally I'd verify the integrity of the files in Steam, but that option isn't available for this game.

Edit: After trying a bunch of dumb stuff that didn't work, it turned out that just rebooting my computer fixed it.

Lars on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Just paid to server transfer an alt and now I have a level 60 or higher character on every data center in the game.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    me: i'm going to pentameld my gathering set, to be Optimal
    also me: i'm going to equip the skysteel tool, because it's Purple

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Nice. This ranking system sucks huh?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    oh yeah, definitely

the ranking system absolutely undercuts what should have been a fun community project

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i’ll help ishgard again because i made some decent gil

but i’ll be getting my beata title for this season and i’m content with that, won’t need to go nearly as hard next time

unless...a new title.....

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Viera
    They wouldn't dare! NoO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »
    i’ll help ishgard again because i made some decent gil

but i’ll be getting my beata title for this season and i’m content with that, won’t need to go nearly as hard next time

unless...a new title.....

beta title lmao got his ass

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Au'ra
    I gave up after seeing just how hard it is to get a result on experts. I don't feel like learning that mess and it's too inefficient to use the others.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    Miqo'te
    I just want to buy the things from the vender.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    the nice thing about doing mining is i made 15m and watched season 3 of fargo, all of the leftovers, pirates of the caribbean curse of the black pearl, mean girls, pirates of the caribbean dead man's chest, 2 seasons of venture bros, and pirates of the caribbean at world's end

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Post 5.3 Thought
    So are Thancred and Urianger not going to be in part 3 of Eden's storyline, or are we to just pretend that Eden concludes before 5.3?

If it's the latter, then Ryne confirms Gaia is still going to be around as one of her buds since she mentions her directly at one point in 5.3.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Lars wrote: »
    Post 5.3 Thought
    So are Thancred and Urianger not going to be in part 3 of Eden's storyline, or are we to just pretend that Eden concludes before 5.3?

If it's the latter, then Ryne confirms Gaia is still going to be around as one of her buds since she mentions her directly at one point in 5.3.
    This is the exact same question I had.

Though I already expected Gaia to stick around. FFXIV rarely pushes hard on tragedy for non-antagonists.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I resubbed yesterday and am ready to tackle 5.3.

I'd love to actually somehow get the gil to buy a house since they're apparently adding new plots soon but I never know what a fun way to do that is. I have gathering and crafting at 80, I have Paladin, dragoon, and I think white mage at 80. Crafting seems lucrative if you do it right but dang it seems complicated.

Also always torn because Paladin has my favorite aesthetics (SHIELDS!) but jumping into raids I've never done before as a tank is terrifying. Still, this game looks gorgeous on my shiny new 1440 144hz screen.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Lars wrote: »
    Post 5.3 Thought

Since all the elements have been unlocked or whatever, I imagine the next set of raids will have to do with what happened to Gaia to give her the power of darkness or whatever

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    re post 5.3 eden raids
    yeah I assume it's going to be set post-thancred and urianger departing and just be about you and ryne and gaia dealing with whatever gaia's deal is, and the chekov's gun of the eden itself

re: the last tales from the shadows, some fanart I liked

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Eden stuff post 5.3

This was addressed after the second tier of Eden raids, with one extra quest.
    In it, Urianger and Thancred tell Ryne and Gaia that they don't expect to be there the next time we go to deal with Eden-related stuff. Because they expect to have succeeded in returning to the Source by then. Ryne is sad, but understands, and pledges to do her best with Gaia and the Warrior of Darkness to help her.

That quest was their way of setting up the last tier of Eden as not needing Thancred and Urainger around, because they won't be.

• Options
    Eden stuff post 5.3

This was addressed after the second tier of Eden raids, with one extra quest.
    In it, Urianger and Thancred tell Ryne and Gaia that they don't expect to be there the next time we go to deal with Eden-related stuff. Because they expect to have succeeded in returning to the Source by then. Ryne is sad, but understands, and pledges to do her best with Gaia and the Warrior of Darkness to help her.

That quest was their way of setting up the last tier of Eden as not needing Thancred and Urainger around, because they won't be.
    Ah ok, I wonder if I missed that quest or just forgot it. I definitely cleared E8N though.

This discussion has been closed.