As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I do think it's unacceptable to have not spelled out backwards compatibility when you're taking preorders tomorrow.

Unless it's basically not there, that is.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's also funny because I was almost tempted by the 400 version just to play Spider-Man Miles Morales but now I know it's also on the PS4 so why bother

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Sadly the biggest news for me isn't the console (I'll get a disc less version, but not in a huge rush)...it's that Demon's Souls is coming to PC. Maybe, juuussttt maybe, we'll get a PC remaster/release of Bloodborne someday. One can only hope.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    And they haven't clarified if their claimed compatibility they hope to have for a majority of PS4 games requires a PS+ subscription; a question I wouldn't have even thought to ask before.

This is what I don't understand: where are you getting the whiff of this? At no point have they even hinted that PS+ is a requirement for backwards compatibility (why would it). The Playstation Blog goes into more detail (as well as making it explicit that this is a curated list of PS4 titles that defined the generation, and other than a few of the titles I would have to agree) and at no point is backwards compatibility linked to any of this.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Sadly the biggest news for me isn't the console (I'll get a disc less version, but not in a huge rush)...it's that Demon's Souls is coming to PC. Maybe, juuussttt maybe, we'll get a PC remaster/release of Bloodborne someday. One can only hope.

I stupidly played DS recently (while also cheating with dupes), but I'll probably grab this on PC as well to play it legit (as I kind of brute forced my way through things and didn't really take my time with the game). With the improved framerate and animations I think it will be more interesting to try out new builds and such - basically getting more value out of the game like I have done with pretty much all other Souls games (except for DS1 because it is so god damned slow).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    It's also funny because I was almost tempted by the 400 version just to play Spider-Man Miles Morales but now I know it's also on the PS4 so why bother

Because it will look and run much better on the PS5? Maybe not a reason to get it at launch day, but I think "why bother" is a bit harsh. I bet it runs like toasted shit on a base PS4...just a hunch.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Because it will look and run much better on the PS5? Maybe not a reason to get it at launch day, but I think "why bother" is a bit harsh. I bet it runs like toasted shit on a base PS4...just a hunch.

I don't think so? If anything it was probably made for the PS4 and then just upscaled. It's very much a fancy DLC for the Spiderman PS4 base game

• Options

I don't think so? If anything it was probably made for the PS4 and then just upscaled. It's very much a fancy DLC for the Spiderman PS4 base game

Have you played anything recently released on a base PS4? Say Ghost of Tsushima? It barely holds up...and the visuals they showed for Spidey on the PS5 look far more than a simple upscale. They are using the RT stuff on the reflections, and the amount of high glow particles they had going on at what seemed like a very locked 30 FPS I imagine is going to bring a regular PS4 to it's knees.

But only time will tell, it's all speculation until real hardware is out.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Because we haven't seen footage of it running on a PS5 already showing off PS5 specific features with completely new models?

Oh wait.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm not surprised if they pushed Miles Morales towards PS5 because they have nothing else mainstream ready for holiday. It could still end badly for the PS4 version, but it's not a real next-gen game either.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    The prices seem reasonable, but I still feel a bit annoyed about having to shell out an extra hundred bucks for the disk version. I get that Digital downloads are more ubiquitous these days, and 4k drives aren't cheap, but that's a huge roadblock for anyone who still prefers physical games.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Miles morales on the ps5 is going to have so many particles the particles have particles; thats what your paying for; and hopefully the fan not being heard from the other side of my apartment

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Don't have time to watch the video for a bit... did they go over if the backwards compatible PS4 titles are going to be available digitally?

I don't have a PS4 and thinking of getting the 5 so I can go back and play like FF7 Remake and Ghosts of Tsushima. And the digital only version discount would be nice to have but not if it's going to cut me off from the recent PS4 titles.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Because we haven't seen footage of it running on a PS5 already showing off PS5 specific features with completely new models?

Oh wait.

Have you played anything recently released on a base PS4? Say Ghost of Tsushima? It barely holds up...and the visuals they showed for Spidey on the PS5 look far more than a simple upscale. They are using the RT stuff on the reflections, and the amount of high glow particles they had going on at what seemed like a very locked 30 FPS I imagine is going to bring a regular PS4 to it's knees.

I did play Ghost, and my Pro handled it like a champ. And that's like, Particle Effect: The Game

Like I'm actually kinda relieved I can enjoy the game without dropping 400 and I doubt I'll miss those extra particles. I played the base Spidey game for hours just fine without them ...

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Oh wait.

I did play Ghost, and my Pro handled it like a champ. And that's like, Particle Effect: The Game

Like I'm actually kinda relieved I can enjoy the game without dropping 400 and I doubt I'll miss those extra particles. I played the base Spidey game for hours just fine without them ...

Personally, I'm more excited about playing the game at 60 fps. Don't get me wrong, I thought Spider-Man on the PS4 was great and certainly played well! But could you imagine that game at 60 fps instead of 30?

The instant loads and ray tracing effects are also a benefit but I think the fps increase is going to be the biggest deal here.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Man, Ghost of Sushi runs like a dead fish on my old and dying launch ps4.

Great game but also a very pretty moving mural.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    That does seem like the point of the half step consoles - not needed to jump into next gen on release.

Moving from a base ps4 to ps5 at release makes sense for me since I'm going to get use out of it either way; but if you have a pro I'm sure the bump up will be less noticeable for the first year really

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    When did Black Ops decide to use even more stupid physics than the Fast and the Furious franchise?

I'm still trying to figure out why a bunch of soldiers on a stealth mission would think to bring a radio controlled bomb car with them.
    GSM wrote: »
    1800s Hogwarts... and everything looks the same.

(except the bathrooms)

What I want to know is, will the game let you change your avatar's gender at any time? It so, this'll be a lot more progressive than JK Rowling's been lately.

• Options
    Time Travel Hit Man seems pretty cool though who knows how it actually plays.

I'm quite impressed by what Deathloop is doing. I'd assumed it was a standard mission based FPS with a time rewind gimmick, but having it be an open world where you have to figure out the most efficient means of completing all the main objectives through repetition is really novel. It brings me back to the good old days of Dead Rising 2. I still fondly remember figuring out how grab all the free Zombrex and rescuing the tiger boss before the main missions even began. I felt like a genius.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    reVerse wrote: »
    Demon's Souls is a launch game, and also PC.

Update: Demon's Souls is not coming to PC. That was a mistake in the trailer. PS5 exclusive.

reVerse on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Update: Demon's Souls is not coming to PC. That was a mistake in the trailer. PS5 exclusive.

Source? I just checked IGN and they have not posted an update about this.

Edit: Okay, Kotaku is updating their stuff with info from Sony. That is a Joker sized boner to pull for sure.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Now we just have to wonder - was the mistake saying there was a PC version this early or if it actually won't have a PC version.

I highly doubt a trailer like that gets created and put together with the PC branding if the latter is true. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's not on PC until next year or something either.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Wording unclear. From the sounds of it, it's not coming to "PC and other consoles." PC could still be happening (especially since that was a big thing during the Sony totally-not-E3 presentation thing.

EDIT - hmm...just rewatched both the standalone Demon's Souls trailer and the Sony presser from back in June, and now I can't find any mention of Demon's Souls coming to PC. But I do distinctly remember people buzzing about how they'd finally be able to play it on PC

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Now we just have to wonder - was the mistake saying there was a PC version this early or if it actually won't have a PC version.

I highly doubt a trailer like that gets created and put together with the PC branding if the latter is true. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's not on PC until next year or something either.

The Final Fantasy 16 trailer they showed on the stream also mentioned PC version, but Square Enix are out there saying it's just the PS5 and their official trailer doesn't mention a PC version at all.

Someone at Sony doesn't have all their ducks in a row.

edit; And now Sony is saying that FF16 PC version will come out six months after the PS5 version.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Well that's a big fucking mistake Sony. I'm sure it was a mistake, and someone is very sorry, but that's kind of a shitty mistake to make with a beloved game people have wanted a PC port of for a while.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    You know what? Demon's Souls is fine and all but I think everyone would agree that if FromSoftware could only make one launch game for the PS5 it wouldn't be Demon's Souls, it would have been 3D Dot Game Heroes 8K.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    You know what? Demon's Souls is fine and all but I think everyone would agree that if FromSoftware could only make one launch game for the PS5 it wouldn't be Demon's Souls, it would have been 3D Dot Game Heroes 8K.

I went and googled that, because I'll be honest and say I didn't believe your implication that FromSoft had made 3D Dot Game Heroes. I was wrong.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The digital edition for $100 less is a no-brainer for me, since I hate having to find a disc to play a game and prefer the convenience of digital editions anyway.

I still don't need one at launch though, so maybe early 2021.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

The Final Fantasy 16 trailer they showed on the stream also mentioned PC version, but Square Enix are out there saying it's just the PS5 and their official trailer doesn't mention a PC version at all.

Someone at Sony doesn't have all their ducks in a row.

edit; And now Sony is saying that FF16 PC version will come out six months after the PS5 version.

So like, 2025?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just in time for the PS5 Pro release!

I wonder if they'll do one of those eventually.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Isn’t this being done by Bluepoint not FRom?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Its funny how both Sony and Microsoft are equally pushing the PC as a gaming platform.

Honestly, I think it's great. Platform exclusivity as a selling point is shit. I want to play, I want to play with my friends, I don't want that desire to be used as a vendor lock-in mechanic. Give me cross play, cloud saves, ubiquitous progression. Sell me your device on specs, controls, features, and packages like Game Pass/PS+, not on "if you want to see your friends again..."

(I feel like first-party games are a semi-reasonable exclusion from the exclusivity clause, though do feel that PC should be included regardless. Maybe not Nintendo though, you know?)

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I haven't owned a Sony system since PS2, but I'm thinking about jumping on the PS5 train. Are there sites like Deku Deals that track the price histories of both physical and digital versions of PS4 games?

I'm trying to decide if I want the disc drive or not. I know with Nintendo stuff, physical games were almost always a better price, pre-Switch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    By the way Target.com started doing preorders I believe and if you go in person to GameStop they are taking them.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The target pre-orders (at least for my area, if its location based) are already sold out though

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Snagged a target preorder for a disc one. Hopefully it sticks.

• Options
    My brother was able to lock in one in person at GameStop. They told him only two spots were left when he arrived. Wonder how many each store was alotted to start?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I haven't owned a Sony system since PS2, but I'm thinking about jumping on the PS5 train. Are there sites like Deku Deals that track the price histories of both physical and digital versions of PS4 games?

I'm trying to decide if I want the disc drive or not. I know with Nintendo stuff, physical games were almost always a better price, pre-Switch.

The main thing you need to confirm is disk-based PS4 game compatibility.

I remember Sony “aiming to have to top 100 most played games backwards compatible” in one of the shows, but I don’t think they’ve specified which ones.

I think they’ve also been a little vague when differentiating between digital and disk. They have just confirmed a number of PS4 games on PS+ (or Now, I forget) will be playable on day one, such as God of War, Last of Us remastered, etc. I don’t think they’ve stated if the disk version are, yet. It really sounds like they’re still working on it, to be honest.

From what Microsoft has said about their back compatibility program, back when they started bringing 360 games to the X, it’s a fairly work intensive endeavour, and Microsoft have a huge team devoted to it, and have been doing it for a few years, now. If nothing else, I can see Sony making an effort to have all their exclusives ready to go.

We have 2 months to go, though, so it might be worth grabbing a preorder now, and keeping an eye on announcements in the coming weeks.

Good luck - Sony really do have some great exclusives, so if you get a 5, but have all the PS4 exclusives to look forward to on launch day, you have a shit-ton of great gaming on the way.

If you like jrpg’s, get Persona 5. It’s great.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

The main thing you need to confirm is disk-based PS4 game compatibility.

I remember Sony “aiming to have to top 100 most played games backwards compatible” in one of the shows, but I don’t think they’ve specified which ones.

I think they’ve also been a little vague when differentiating between digital and disk. They have just confirmed a number of PS4 games on PS+ (or Now, I forget) will be playable on day one, such as God of War, Last of Us remastered, etc. I don’t think they’ve stated if the disk version are, yet. It really sounds like they’re still working on it, to be honest.

From what Microsoft has said about their back compatibility program, back when they started bringing 360 games to the X, it’s a fairly work intensive endeavour, and Microsoft have a huge team devoted to it, and have been doing it for a few years, now. If nothing else, I can see Sony making an effort to have all their exclusives ready to go.

We have 2 months to go, though, so it might be worth grabbing a preorder now, and keeping an eye on announcements in the coming weeks.

Good luck - Sony really do have some great exclusives, so if you get a 5, but have all the PS4 exclusives to look forward to on launch day, you have a shit-ton of great gaming on the way.

If you like jrpg’s, get Persona 5. It’s great.

You don’t have to with ps5. It’s a PS+ title for it available at launch. Unless you just meant play it since it’s basically included unless you don’t do PS+. In which case yeah, play it for sure.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Snagged a target preorder for a disc one. Hopefully it sticks.

Same here. They already biller my credit card so it better stick. Just got an email saying that Best Buy preorders are up, but ymmv.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Local H Jay on
This discussion has been closed.