As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I gotta say, I wasn't actually expecting an Final Fantasy XVI announcement this soon. Granted, we don't have a release date or anything, but I had been expecting the FFVII-R project to eat up a lot of the PS5 lifecycle.

There should always be a new Final Fantasy game on the horizon. It's been that way my whole life since I discovered FF. This interregnum period that just ended with no FFs in the pipeline was weird to me.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Man maybe they just don't make final fantasies for me anymore. That world gave me such a IX vibe i was all for it, but the gameplay shots were an active turnoff. They could have at least done a full cinematic trailer without gameplay so i could get hyped before seeing the combat system and deflating.

If this gameplay route was going to be a full turnoff regardless, I figure it's best to have that be known right out the gate so that it doesn't build up to a crash.

yeah... I know. but I just want a final fantasy game to excite me. They've been largely the cornerstone of me actually gaming since childhood. Like I haven't built my identity around it but on some level it's just like "whats an FF fan who isn't enjoying ff anymore"

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Man maybe they just don't make final fantasies for me anymore. That world gave me such a IX vibe i was all for it, but the gameplay shots were an active turnoff. They could have at least done a full cinematic trailer without gameplay so i could get hyped before seeing the combat system and deflating.

If this gameplay route was going to be a full turnoff regardless, I figure it's best to have that be known right out the gate so that it doesn't build up to a crash.

yeah... I know. but I just want a final fantasy game to excite me. They've been largely the cornerstone of me actually gaming since childhood. Like I haven't built my identity around it but on some level it's just like "whats an FF fan who isn't enjoying ff anymore"

A Dragon Quest fan.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Cruor wrote: »

A Dragon Quest fan.

Yeah between that and stuff like World of Final Fantasy, the Bravely Games, and Octopath Traveler, I guess that's where Squeenix is using to cover the more "traditional" aesthetic/gameplay market.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Final Fantasy 1, 4, and 6 were my obsession and I loved, and still love them to death, but... yeah. X is the last one I can honestly say I enjoyed and it's just going further and further into all the things that irritate me, particularly the excessively long and melodramatic cutscenes.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Okay, watched the trailer.

First impression: inject it directly into my veins.

Second impression: This looks more graphically violent than any other FF has shown before.

Action combat is okay if they keep in the FF7R model, and learned what not to do from FF15. As long as there are all sorts of bars to fill up that grant me resources to obsess over how to allocate, I'm happy.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    FF7R already had a great mix of old and new combat, there's no reason something similar can't be the standard for mainline FF going forward.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, if they take the lessons they learned from FF7-R's combat, which I think is probably the best the series has ever had, then this should hopefully be good as well.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm.... hmm

I guess the new trailer was all right? I mostly just liked the music. We'll see how it goes. There are definitely some things that are missing here for me to buy in, but it's an early look, so I'll be patient.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    There were things in the trailer that I found intriguing, but as a cohesive whole it really felt all over the place. Kind of like they were cobbling the trailer together using fragments of whatever material they had in usable shape rather than something created just for the purpose of being a trailer.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The combat at least looked like it was more mechanically like ff7r. Hard to tell without any kind of ui. This looks very much like a tech demo more than a game at this point though, even if I’m fairly certain it’s all in game engine stuff.

I actually like this setting SOOOO much more than what we got recently. If what everyone keeps telling me about ff14 story after all the 2.0 stuff, I will gladly take a single player experience from Yoshi P that I dont need to spend 40 hours until I get to the part I am expected to enjoy.

Something about it also gives me a slight tales vibe too. Can’t put my finger on why though.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I'm.... hmm

I guess the new trailer was all right? I mostly just liked the music. We'll see how it goes. There are definitely some things that are missing here for me to buy in, but it's an early look, so I'll be patient.

It's a new Final Fantasy game. You were already bought in.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh I see Yoshi P has played The Witcher 3.

Very excited about this.

Available exclusively on PS5*

*and also PC.

That got a chuckle from me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Okay, watched the trailer.

First impression: inject it directly into my veins.

Second impression: This looks more graphically violent than any other FF has shown before.

Action combat is okay if they keep in the FF7R model, and learned what not to do from FF15. As long as there are all sorts of bars to fill up that grant me resources to obsess over how to allocate, I'm happy.

I guess the cynical side of me feels like the setting for this is less about "returning" to something, and more about "people sure liked GoT". That decapitation blood spatter didn't feel shocking to me, it made me roll my eyes. FF games have had shocking deaths before, so it's not that; it's the pointlessness of the gratuity that felt less genuine and more like copying something else. Again, I'm feeling cynical.

And FFXIV has been nailing fantasy for years now. Maybe that's just warping my perspective; I have Shadowbringers so fresh in my mind, that this just felt stale and boring.

The combat looked like FFXV/V:R, without any notable difference. That isn't a bad thing, I'm not sure FF games ever need to return to the direct ATB, stand on your sides, take your turns, combat. I'm ok with them changing up combat to evolve the series, in fact, I feel like that's part of the series itself.

It all just felt very last gen, visually, and design wise. It felt "plain", like the art direction was ripped from a generic fantasy title, and didn't have any real flair of its own, or anything indicating it was a FF game; no hint at Amano, or even Nomura.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I think you all are hella optimistic thinking this is FF7R and not more FFXV. I'm just saying that it's clear what they *should* be doing.

Then again this is probably so many years off that what we see now tells us nothing but the setting.

edited September 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm.... hmm

It's a new Final Fantasy game. You were already bought in.

I skipped 15 because of the decisions they made in development and marketing, I may skip this. Final Fantasy was a huge part of my childhood and teen years, but 13 was over a decade ago. I haven't had that pure Final Fantasy experience since then, and that's a long time! It's just... not really a part of my life anymore like it used to be.

Edit: I didn't really like 12 much, and FFX was almost a decade before 13. So like.... as important as FF was to my childhood, there's just not enough quantity of good stuff there for it to still be as meaningful to me :(

That said, I still re-purchase the good ones often enough :P

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    People already shitting on this around the net I see as bland and generic but I haven't been this excited for a FF in a long long time.

This game is going to be fucking great if the XIV team is involved.

Mark my words.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    People already shitting on this around the net I see as bland and generic but I haven't been this excited for a FF in a long long time.

This game is going to be fucking great if the XIV team is involved.

Mark my words.

That excites me more than the trailer. FFXIV isn't a traditional Final Fantasy, but it's also really really good.

Steam profile
    Is that confirmed? Did I miss a link somewhere? I need to read it for myself.

edited September 2020
    15 is honestly, no joke, probably my second favorite of all time. Well, third favorite. Fourth, fourth favorite. I swear this isn't a bit, I just remembered FF6, FF7, & FF8.

So, rewatching the trailer a few times and some things I noticed.

Doesn't look like you got a party, could very well just be how they shot the trailer. So I'm not saying it is one way or the other, just that is what I saw (or didn't see?) in the trailer.

Second, looks like there is a bit of a time jump going on. Cool, cool.

I saw a lot of FFXV teleport fighting going on. That's fine too.

Axen on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I am definitely one of the "everything post X is a sea of blah" to me Final Fantasy lapsed fans, and I'll say the trailer is at least intriguing! I love 9, and as such am always down for more of a high fantasy bent. It's way too early to tell though, so hey we'll see. Way more let downs than not lately, but I would love to love a Final Fantasy again.

Axen wrote: »
    15 is honestly, no joke, probably my second favorite of all time. Well, third favorite. Fourth, fourth favorite. I swear this isn't a bit, I just remembered FF6, FF7, & FF8.

Doesn't look like you got a party, could very well just be how they shot the trailer. So I'm not saying it is one way or the other, just that is what I saw (or didn't see?) in the trailer.

Yeah they didn't show a party, but it's hard to tell how much that means right now. "You only control generic JRPG dude" is not great, but it's way too early to make any hard judgments on it.

Steam profile
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a lot of FFXV stuff in the trailer like the warping, the particular use of the war aspect, giant summons, the male/male friendship between lord and vassal (or whoever the kid is supposed to be)...stuff that I think XV totally whiffed on, and I'm hoping they learned their lesson are maybe able to execute properly here.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
    I was very surprised we got to see as much as we did.

We...might actually only have to wait a year for this?

I mean it is a Final Fantasy game so I was already going to buy it, but it is a Yoshi P Final Fantasy so I'm going to, like, super-duper buy it.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh I see Yoshi P has played The Witcher 3.

Very excited about this.

Available exclusively on PS5*

*and also PC.

That got a chuckle from me.

No joke, that is the thing I may be most excited for. I really don't want to buy another console right now, so being able to get the new stuff on PC is a major bonus.

Aww, that's cute

:P

Steam profile

Aww, that's cute

:P
    I want to believe.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah they didn't show a party, but it's hard to tell how much that means right now. "You only control generic JRPG dude" is not great, but it's way too early to make any hard judgments on it.

I want a party because action games are more fun when you can switch up playstyles.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm excited for a mainline Final Fantasy to be fantasy again

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    How do we know YoshiP / the XIV team are involved? Is there a source on that?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Phoenix curses and summons being used as weapons of war (a la VI, IX, XIV, and XV) is definitely a story beat in inteested in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naoki_Yoshida

He is the Producer.

It was only a matter of time before they put him on a mainline game considering how much money he has made SE.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Polaritie wrote: »

I want a party because action games are more fun when you can switch up playstyles.

I want a party because it's not final goddamn fantasy without one.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Watched the trailer my opinions.

- I think it makes sense for this one to be more fantasy than contemporary what with FF7R.

- Hope there is a party; from the trailer it looks like a time skip happens early on so who knows.

- Combat looks interesting to me I also noticed there is a jump with a number of air options so it feels like the next step in their aRPG design.

- The plot does look like they're chasing certain modern TV and game trends but I like FFs having different feels so I don't mind.

So overall interested.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Welp, if YoshiP is producer, I guess I can set aside my concerns, and trust them doing it well.

He's more than earned that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Having YoshiP as the producer instills me with a lot of faith.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    the trailer is the source

7h2fqmgetavj.png

this is Yoshi P's

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Unconfirmed so far, but word is that the game will be directed by Hiroshi Takai (Last Remnant, assistant director on Heavensward), and Ryota Suzuki (Devil May Cry 5, Dragon's Dogma) is the battle system designer.