As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Shadowlands: It's out!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This video does a good job of explaining the new Adventure system. It's way more in-depth than BfA, or really any other mission table. They have rebuilt it, it has a new UI, and they're basically going all-in on this thing this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwHphLcgGtM

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    It's going to be weird not logging into the WoW app in a little over a month. Like, that has been basically a daily activity of mine for the last 4 years. At least, I'm assuming it will serve no major purpose once Shadowlands hits.

I thought I caught a bit of an article the other day saying it was going to encompass previous expansion stuff too, like garrison missions and BFA missions. A way to still earn some gold until you run out of war resources/garrison supplies anyway.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Background downloading has started, 20+GB. THE PREPATCH IS UPON US.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    There is NO way it’s going live soon. Still so many problems on the prepatch. If it did go live it would be a shitshow

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Again, the 29th is far and away the most likely date for prepatch.

edited September 2020
    Yeah what you are downloading today will just be the major assets and bulk of the patch content. They're still actively working on the prepatch PTR. There will most assuredly be another, smaller patch the day it arrives. They're just putting the bulk of it out now.

Lucascraft on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Eh Legion is in the top 3 for me.

BFA’s story was actively insulting to half the player base with devs outright lying to them regularly.
    Citations! And I'm not saying that because I disagree or am defending Blizzard, like I wanna know more.

Will do so when I am able to get on my desktop, somebody put together a full list of citations on the story forum on the official Blizzard site

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    It's going to be weird not logging into the WoW app in a little over a month. Like, that has been basically a daily activity of mine for the last 4 years. At least, I'm assuming it will serve no major purpose once Shadowlands hits.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=317992/engineering-deep-dive-wow-companion-app-in-shadowlands-supports-multiple-expansi

https://www.wowhead.com/news=317979.2/shadowlands-season-1-mythic-item-level-loot-table-max-end-of-dungeon-reward-redu#comments

M+ dungeons are spammable, Heroic is not. So:
    As pointed out to me by Jaydaa, the max item level of end-of-dungeon chests is 210, whereas the loot from Heroic Castle Nathria is 213. This is the first time that Mythic+ end of dungeon chests will offer gear that is actually lower item level than Heroic gear when compared to Battle for Azeroth.

Unlike what many comments say, it has nothing to do with difficulty.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It’s kind of overblown honestly. It’s 3 ilvl lower when other than 8.3 the best m+ drops were equal to heroic raids. It is a super slight bump down.

Now you do need to complete +15 to get the best gear drops so that might not coincide with the ilvl you would get just doing m+, but who knows. The balance might make +15 the new norm.

edited September 2020
    Kai_San wrote: »
    It’s kind of overblown honestly. It’s 3 ilvl lower when other than 8.3 the best m+ drops were equal to heroic raids. It is a super slight bump down.

Now you do need to complete +15 to get the best gear drops so that might not coincide with the ilvl you would get just doing m+, but who knows. The balance might make +15 the new norm.

Tell that to the 1400+ comments of nerdrage on Reddit. Can already see the "No, it was a shitshow, obviously" segment on the next Taliesin & Evitel video.

Note, I think that is fine, but don't have the "anti-elitist"* boner that so many people have against raids.

*Elitist being defined by "anybody that plays at a higher difficulty level than me".

TryCatcher on
    Preach said that exact thing on one of his recent videos. For some reason there's this fairly new anti-elitist sentiment going around the WoW community, but it's a fairly intangible and undefinable thing. To a Normal raider, Heroic raiders are Elitist. To Heroic raiders, Mythic raiders are Elitist. And to Mythic raiders, world first raiders are elitist. It's just this pyramid of looking down your nose at anyone who plays at a higher level. And for some reason the undefinable elitists are responsible for all of WoW's woes.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Preach said that exact thing on one of his recent videos. For some reason there's this fairly new anti-elitist sentiment going around the WoW community, but it's a fairly intangible and undefinable thing. To a Normal raider, Heroic raiders are Elitist. To Heroic raiders, Mythic raiders are Elitist. And to Mythic raiders, world first raiders are elitist. It's just this pyramid of looking down your nose at anyone who plays at a higher level. And for some reason the undefinable elitists are responsible for all of WoW's woes.

What a bunch of dummies.

Everyone knows that Ion Hazzikostas is responsible for all of WoW's woes.

Disagree on the "fairly new" thing, since it sounds a lot like textbook Sirlin Scrub mentality.

Finally, a PvP status update:
    As we mentioned in last week’s Shadowlands Development Update, we’ve heard a lot of feedback from the PvP community that Conquest vendors in Shadowlands don’t offer enough of most players’ desired stats, leading to the sense that much of the best gear for PvP will have to be earned outside of PvP. We don’t want that to be the case.

Our current plan to address these concerns should become available in the Shadowlands Beta over the next couple of weeks.

First, we’re shifting the stat distributions on Conquest gear to always include Versatility. There should be two out of the three combinations (Versatility/Haste, Versatility/Mastery, Versatility/Crit) available for every slot. Secondly, we are adding a 2-piece set bonus, activated by equipping two PvP trinkets, such as crowd-control break (Medallion) or throughput (Battlemaster’s, Dominance, etc.) trinkets. This bonus will increase the damage and healing benefit of Versatility (but not the defensive benefit) while in Arenas, Battlegrounds, or War Mode.

The Conquest vendor will not offer perfect coverage of every stat combination, but neither does any other single source of gear in WoW. A player who favors Haste and Mastery cannot get a full set of Haste/Mastery gear from raiding alone, so if you’re someone who wants to be absolutely optimal, you’ll benefit from branching out across multiple types of content. Nonetheless, the result of these changes should be that a majority of the best gear for PvP now comes through the PvP system.

We look forward to your feedback on this, especially following your experiences testing the new itemization over the coming weeks.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I could honestly care about who raids at what level. It's the people who look DOWNWARD and get snide about it that trouble me. When raid tiers got introduced, the bulk of the raiding community got all pissy and moany.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I could honestly care about who raids at what level. It's the people who look DOWNWARD and get snide about it that trouble me. When raid tiers got introduced, the bulk of the raiding community got all pissy and moany.

i've never had any of my peers express any concerns or problems with anything about the current status quo

the worst you can say about the top end raiding is that we mostly pretend the rest of the raiding community don't exist. i don't think active toxicity is something that comes from the top, at least not as a defining characteristic.

It's all over the net and in the game. Anyone who tells me the downward toxicity doesn't exist in WoW is on the same level of climate change denial, imo; the shit is in plain view.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think you need to distinguish between a cultural, systemic, specific toxicity inherent only to one group, and the general toxicity you find in any sufficiently large group of people in a video game.

I have not seen sufficient evidence to convince me that the former is an actual problem and not just people misinterpreting the latter.

Like yeah you have tens of thousands of people kill a boss on Heroic, some of them are going to be cocks, that does not mean everyone who raids on Heroic is a cock.

Also, a lot of toxicity doesn't come from the actual top.

Cutting Edge players, by the most part, do not play in PuGs. You see it on several Preach videos, when he sees the hate that "elitists" get and he's like: "What the hell are you talking about? We don't play with you at all". And he's serious, remember a dungeon video when he's like "What the hell is Raider.IO?", since people on solid guilds by the most part don't need Raider.IO. BUT, there's a considerable amount of chuds that think that just because they killed the first 3 bosses or whatever on Mythic of the current raid, bosses that are puggable, they are hot shit.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Also, a lot of toxicity doesn't come from the actual top.

Cutting Edge players, by the most part, do not play in PuGs. You see it on several Preach videos, when he sees the hate that "elitists" get and he's like: "What the hell are you talking about? We don't play with you at all". And he's serious, remember a dungeon video when he's like "What the hell is Raider.IO?", since people on solid guilds by the most part don't need Raider.IO. BUT, there's a considerable amount of chuds that think that just because they killed the first 3 bosses or whatever on Mythic of the current raid, bosses that are puggable, they are hot shit.

I wanted to make this point, that most of the high level toxicity comes from people who actually are not part of the high level but perceive themselves as if they are.

Then I kinda thought that was me being toxic downward, by gatekeeping what "high level" is, so thought maybe I won't make the point.

Probably would have been fine.

Dhalphir on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You know, I really doubt it's a coincidence that the games most infamous for toxicity are also games with competitive organized gameplay built primarily around pugging.

Never mind anonymity, it's the intersection of a solo ladder and a team endeavor with strangers that makes people become their worst possible selves.

Kamar on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    delph wrote: »
    Starting with the Shadowlands pre-patch, the Companion App will support multiple expansions: Legion, BFA, and (when live) Shadowlands. You'll be able to turn off individual expansions on your app to reduce installation size. More (MUCH more in depth) information linked below:

https://www.wowhead.com/news=317992/engineering-deep-dive-wow-companion-app-in-shadowlands-supports-multiple-expansi
    Oh shit, I didn't realize this. I guess the Companion App will live on within my crappy phone!

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mail muncher mount get. Haircut toy get. Gnome with robots toy get. 100k Wrathion doodad mount get.

Now to never do another vision ever again.

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Mail muncher mount get. Haircut toy get. Gnome with robots toy get. 100k Wrathion doodad mount get.

Will the visions be up after the patch?
    I have not done them as nazjatar kicked my ass I do want the toys and mount but I can only really play on my weekends and I have other goals at the moment

Brainleech wrote: »

Will the visions be up after the patch?
    I have not done them as nazjatar kicked my ass I do want the toys and mount but I can only really play on my weekends and I have other goals at the moment

@Brainleech see visions part of https://www.wowhead.com/what-to-do-before-shadowlands

steam_sig.png

BFA’s story was actively insulting to half the player base with devs outright lying to them regularly.
    Citations! And I'm not saying that because I disagree or am defending Blizzard, like I wanna know more.

Will do so when I am able to get on my desktop, somebody put together a full list of citations on the story forum on the official Blizzard site

@Henroid

Here you go: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/i-feel-lied-to-post-bfa-version/596347

Pellex is the person who's posting most of the links and transcripts if you just want to skip down through it.

• fortyforty Registered User regular

Not sure how you got a mount that doesn't exist.

Henroid

Here you go: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/i-feel-lied-to-post-bfa-version/596347

Pellex is the person who's posting most of the links and transcripts if you just want to skip down through it.
    So I'm not through everything on this but uh... I'm not prepared to call it "lying" per se.

Blizzard is fucking infamous at this point for their writing teams and staff members for not communicating AT ALL. What I'm seeing here is evidence of some people having one idea for BFA and other people having a different idea. Which is something we KNOW has happened many times in WoW before.

There's a lot of vague rhetoric in those Blizzard statements. It reeks of the typical "corporate won't let us disclose the spoilers" and "we don't actually know what we're doing right now" we've seen before.

And I mean, don't get me wrong. It fucking sucks that Blizzard is still speaking that way.

Henroid

So I'm not through everything on this but uh... I'm not prepared to call it "lying" per se.

Blizzard is fucking infamous at this point for their writing teams and staff members for not communicating AT ALL. What I'm seeing here is evidence of some people having one idea for BFA and other people having a different idea. Which is something we KNOW has happened many times in WoW before.

Eh, It's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt with any of this given how even players completely disconnected from news and rumors figured out the story beats well in advance.

Players: Sylvanas totally burns Teldrassil, doesn't she?
    Devs: It's going to be a complete and utter surprise!
    (Yeah, Sylvanas burned Teldrassil)

Players: Yawn, Horde is going to be forced to go evil with another Garrosh.
    Devs: That's not what's going to happen at all, you'll see!
    (Game comes out, Sylvanas spends the whole expac trying to twirl a mustache with the Horde PC getting forced along for the ride)

Blizzard's writing has been off point since WoW launched. It hasn't even just been contained to WoW; Starcraft 2 is a super hackey writing job that literally copies the Warcraft plot (and I know it was supposed to be "Warcraft in Space" but they were at least building something unique with the first game).

In different news I managed to take my shadow priest through the MOP and WOD level ranges almost completely today, just shy by two levels (and without playing the game every hour of the day at all). It's a pretty boring spell rotation but I respect the effectiveness.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I don't have receipts for "regularly" but they absolutely spent the entire pre-BFA hype period pretending the Horde weren't going to be pigeonholed as the bad guys in the war who are obviously in the wrong and start every conflict for stupid evil reasons. Surely there will be some sort of inciting incident that justifies the horde burning down Teldrassil from their perspective, they talked about grey morality at blizzcon! And then Sylvanas burned Teldrassil down without even pretending there was a justification for it, she just felt like it. Which was of course necessary so the ALLIANCE could have an inciting incident to justify sacking the Undercity, being the Good Guys and all. And then they spent the entire war storyline pretending that Sylvanas wasn't obviously just a poorly written 1-dimensional supervillain who was going to betray us and be working with N'zoth. You'll see! I know it looks like that, but maybe she has secret good reasons for putting on the act! What a twist it'll be! :lol: Definitely not just doing Garrosh again guys! :lol::lol::lol:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually there's a huge difference between sylvanas and garrosh

garrosh had ambiguity

liEt3nH.png
    edited September 2020
    Maybe it's because the hype/news cycle always hits way before the events actually happen in game. Maybe it's because it's nearly impossible to avoid WoW story spoilers if you are a dedicated player who seeks out information about the game such as balance changes, game systems, and the mechanical side of things. But I felt that all the major plot beats of BfA, such as when Teldrassil was burned, were all very sudden and there was no lead up to any of it.

In writing they always say "show don't tell" and I feel like with all of these big story beats, I was always told what what happening, and never shown until it had already happened. It didn't really even feel like a story to me. It felt like all of these big set-piece moments happened and I was just sort of dragged along to witness them, but there wasn't really any story to go along with any of it.

I'm honestly not sure what instigated any of the major plot beats in the BfA war story. The expansion starts with the Siege of Lordaeron. Anduin and the Alliance show up and there's a big battle and a scenario to play through. But why was Anduin there in the first place? That part never felt explained to me. If you're an Alliance player, you just suddenly get called to war. And if you're a Horde player, you just suddenly get called to the defense of one of your major faction cities. But it felt like they forgot to explain the part about why any of it was happening. It just sort of happened.

Then there was the War of Thorns event thingy, which was the leadup to the Burning of Teldrassil, but again, I wasn't really sure why the War of Thorns happened. Why did the Horde show up in Ashenvale and Darkshore and start razing cities? Just like with the Siege of Lordaeron, it just sort of happened. You log in and get a quest pop up that (paraphrased) says "Champion! The war in Ashenvale has already begun and we need you on the front lines, please report to so and so." But like... why?

Lucascraft on
    War of Thorns happened before Lordaeron. The Alliance attacked Lordaeron because of the tree.

Maybe it's because the hype/news cycle always hits way before the events actually happen in game. Maybe it's because it's nearly impossible to avoid WoW story spoilers if you are a dedicated player who seeks out information about the game such as balance changes, game systems, and the mechanical side of things. But I felt that all the major plot beats of BfA, such as when Teldrassil was burned, were all very sudden and there was no lead up to any of it.

In writing they always say "show don't tell" and I feel like with all of these big story beats, I was always told what what happening, and never shown until it had already happened. It didn't really even feel like a story to me. It felt like all of these big set-piece moments happened and I was just sort of dragged along to witness them, but there wasn't really any story to go along with any of it.

I'm honestly not sure what instigated any of the major plot beats in the BfA war story. The expansion starts with the Siege of Lordaeron. Anduin and the Alliance show up and there's a big battle and a scenario to play through. But why was Anduin there in the first place? That part never felt explained to me. If you're an Alliance player, you just suddenly get called to war. And if you're a Horde player, you just suddenly get called to the defense of one of your major faction cities. But it felt like they forgot to explain the part about why any of it was happening. It just sort of happened.

Then there was the War of Thorns event thingy, which was the leadup to the Burning of Teldrassil, but again, I wasn't really sure why the War of Thorns happened. Why did the Horde show up in Ashenvale and Darkshore and start razing cities? Just like with the Siege of Lordaeron, it just sort of happened. You log in and get a quest pop up that (paraphrased) says "Champion! The war in Ashenvale has already begun and we need you on the front lines, please report to so and so." But like... why?

After Sargeras stabbed the giant sword through Silithus azerite crystals showed up all around it. The goblins found them and experimented and found they have all kinds of bullshit powers. Sylvanas invades Darkshore to cut off the major elven continental presence on Kalimdor so the Horde can have Silithus to themselves. Random elf pisses her off so she torches Teldrassil out of spite. The Alliance are owed and invade Undercity. Sylvanas decided scorched earth defense is better than letting the Alliance have it. BfA starts.

steam_sig.png
  • Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Basically 'cause Sylvanas razed Teldrassil, so the Alliance struck back, ideally to capture her and bring her to justice for her crimes.

This one I'm not 100% on off the top of my head. There was some action over in Silithus what with all the Azerite popping up, and I think the bulk of the NE forces were sailing down there to help out, but then Sylvanas decided to preemptively strike while tensions were high and because the Alliance was distracted. I think the rest of the Horde thought it was being done to give the Alliance a big scare and get them to back off during the Azerite arms race, but ultimately it seems to be have been a means to feed souls to the maw in Shadowlands.

Coconut Monkey on
    Part of the problem was Blizzard’s insistence on putting important story elements outside of the game.

Goblins discover Azerite in-game.
    Ramifications of Azerite were in a novel.
    Sylvanas pushing for war was in a short story.
    War of Thorns starts in-game.

The thing is, the Horde... are the bad guys?

Orcs are despoilers of land they occupy, even prior to being corrupted by the demons. Trolls are constantly at war with everyone else and each other and using dangerous magics. The Forsaken were developing a plague to kill the living even when Sylvanas was "good." And Goblins are fucking capitalists.

The Elves and Tauren are the only two that get a pass.

This discussion has been closed.