As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    YoshiP is a consummate professional, if nothing else. By all accounts (from the stories of FFXIV 2.0's development) he is pretty exceptional at handling and managing various teams and keeping people on track with one cohesive vision.

I also hope Koji Fox is in charge of localization. I mean it wouldn't be a Con to me if he isn't, but it sure would be a Pro.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I wasn't really expecting them to go for that dark western medieval fantasy setting but it looks like something straight out of Witcher. Very bleak looking.

In this universe, Malboro are an STD that got out of control and you hunt moogles for food.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    There were things in the trailer that I found intriguing, but as a cohesive whole it really felt all over the place. Kind of like they were cobbling the trailer together using fragments of whatever material they had in usable shape rather than something created just for the purpose of being a trailer.

I think part of this, on a rewatch, is that the music is not there all the way through and at times near the start almost seems to be working against the trailer in what it is trying to do. The end works a bit better.

Compare to for example

https://youtu.be/4tyuIh12_HU

or really any of the other FFXIV trailers.

However, this may be a deliberate choice to show more of what the game actually will be in order to build confidence and interest in the game, instead of producing a stylistically flashy and cohesive trailer that isn't necessarily completely representative of what the game will be.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    reVerse wrote: »
    Unconfirmed so far, but word is that the game will be directed by Hiroshi Takai (Last Remnant, assistant director on Heavensward), and Ryota Suzuki (Devil May Cry 5, Dragon's Dogma) is the battle system designer.

The director and producer roles are confirmed here:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/final-fantasy-xvi-announced-for-ps5/

The battle system designer being the same as DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma seems legit too:

And uhhh don't expect this until 2022-2023.

Renzo on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy meets the Witcher meets Devil May Cry

Waiting for the PC release is going to feel long...

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean on the one hand, if anyone can get a game done on time it is Yoshi P

On the other hand, I can't see how you watch that trailer and think "this is a game right now". I still think that all just looked like in game cutscene stuff sometimes made to look like gameplay. Which says to me they have a concept but not really any game done yet. It is not close.

Come on, confirm the job system.

Come onnnnn.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    HIROSHI TAKAI HAS WORKED ON ROMANCING SAGA!

ohlolol yes yes yes! please be like SaGa.

And Legend of Mana!

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I thought the combat looked very DMC-ish.

That explains it

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Unconfirmed so far, but word is that the game will be directed by Hiroshi Takai (Last Remnant, assistant director on Heavensward), and Ryota Suzuki (Devil May Cry 5, Dragon's Dogma) is the battle system designer.

This is uhhh... these are some good resumes here.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hiroshi Takai credits include:

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
    The Last Remnant
    The Bouncer
    Legend of Mana
    Final Fantasy Anthology
    SaGa Frontier
    Romancing SaGa 3
    Romancing SaGa 2
    Romancing SaGa

Look I don't care what you think, those are some CLASSIC Square Enix titles. Except The Bouncer.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Talith wrote: »
    Final Fantasy meets the Witcher meets Devil May Cry

Waiting for the PC release is going to feel long...

I'm a bit curious about this.

So the trailer says "Exclusive to PS5. . . and also on PC."

But!

It seems that FFXVI is actually a timed exclusive (which I suppose isn't a surprise) and will eventually find its way to the new Xboxi.

So I wonder if it will actually release at the same time for PS5 and PC. Otherwise, why bother listing PC if it will be available only for the PS5 for several months (or more)?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

On the other hand, I can't see how you watch that trailer and think "this is a game right now". I still think that all just looked like in game cutscene stuff sometimes made to look like gameplay. Which says to me they have a concept but not really any game done yet. It is not close.

I could tell the game was in alpha just by looking at it. There was some jankiness to it that even FF7R didn't have. So it looked unpolished in a lot of ways.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hiroshi Takai credits include:

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
    The Last Remnant
    The Bouncer
    Legend of Mana
    Final Fantasy Anthology
    SaGa Frontier
    Romancing SaGa 3
    Romancing SaGa 2
    Romancing SaGa

Look I don't care what you think, those are some CLASSIC Square Enix titles. Except The Bouncer.

i can't lie, i kinda liked the bouncer.

though the difficulty ramped up across playthroughs made it real tough for me to get through the last character if i'm remembering correctly.

initiatefailure on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I already assumed it is not coming to PC until after that first year thing. I won't even consider anything else until I see it on PC the same day as PS5.

I am still counting the fucking days until I can play FF7R

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I kinda feel line timed console exclusive will mean a simultaneous PS5/PC launch. Sony probably wants to pay to corner the console sales, but they likely don't see PC sales as significant competition like they see Xbox

edited September 2020
    Cruor wrote: »
    I kinda feel line timed console exclusive will mean a simultaneous PS5/PC launch. Sony probably wants to pay to corner the console sales, but they likely don't see PC sales as significant competition like they see Xbox

I'm kinda leaning that way myself. Though maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I just think that if the PC release was still a ways off from the PS5 release, then why bother putting "available on PC" on your first reveal trailer? It'd make more sense to just keep that under your hat until you are closer to the PC launch date and then you can have another big announcement trailer to fire up the hype train.

edit- Plus, YoshiP is a big PC gamer himself.

Axen on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    I am ALL the way in for FFXVI: Crystal May Cry.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is kinda the same old stuff but darker and like the MMOs.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Not really interested in DMC, but hearing that the combat fellow worked on Dragons's Dogma. . .I am A-OK with that. All the way.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Dragon's Dogma combat would be a great addition to FF. Climb on those monsters.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Legend of Mana is my GoaT. I am so hard I need to call a doctor.

LD50 wrote: »
    Legend of Mana is my GoaT. I am so hard I need to call a doctor.

I am a Doctor and I can tell you that your condition is perfectly natural.

*I am not a Doctor

Applaud them for actually showing lots of actual early days ingame footage.

Its so typical to just put together a giant CGI wank fest these days for a game reveal and thats something I very much would have expected here out of SE.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Oh, it's not a game now, but as a biiiiig counterpoint:

That was a boatload of varied assets, models, and mo-cap, all in engine. It takes time to make content, but their biggest hurdles in the last decade was not generating content but having a working pipeline for getting stuff in engine and scripted. They might be able to like, actually make something in a reasonable amount of time this time around.

How would moogles even fit into a world like The Witcher's?

"Holy shit! You just bisected that man! Kupo!"

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    How would moogles even fit into a world like The Witcher's?

"Holy shit! You just bisected that man! Kupo!"

"Oi, what we have here, kupo? A fock'n mutant, kupo? We don't need your fock'n kind around here, kupo!"

edited September 2020
    There were things in the trailer that I found intriguing, but as a cohesive whole it really felt all over the place. Kind of like they were cobbling the trailer together using fragments of whatever material they had in usable shape rather than something created just for the purpose of being a trailer.

I think part of this, on a rewatch, is that the music is not there all the way through and at times near the start almost seems to be working against the trailer in what it is trying to do. The end works a bit better.

Compare to for example

https://youtu.be/4tyuIh12_HU

or really any of the other FFXIV trailers.

However, this may be a deliberate choice to show more of what the game actually will be in order to build confidence and interest in the game, instead of producing a stylistically flashy and cohesive trailer that isn't necessarily completely representative of what the game will be.
    Trailer definitely needed a kick ass song with vocals.

One brings shadow..

One brings the liiight..

Dr. Chaos on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I just think that if the PC release was still a ways off from the PS5 release, then why bother putting "available on PC" on your first reveal trailer? It'd make more sense to just keep that under your hat until you are closer to the PC launch date and then you can have another big announcement trailer to fire up the hype train.

Bad news.

Bad news.

Bad news.

Noooooo!

....My PC probably wouldn't have been able to run it that well.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm hoping it's coming to PC but they weren't supposed to announce that today.

Cruor on
    They pulled the same crap with FF15. It will be on PC way down the road. The PC release is the last money grab.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, reads to me as 'eventual' PC release but we don't know when and we're not telling any of youses until we're making them ps5 bucks. Which is fine.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Yeah, so, Sony is now apparently saying that the PC version will be available six months later, and other consoles a year later. I guess Square Enix couldn't confirm the PC version because of whatever contract they have for the exclusivity.

Yeah sounds like Sony's doing. They just did the same thing to the Demon's Souls remake announcement.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That Phoenix vs Ifrit Art for the logo looks so good.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Who's on the music? That gives me Type-0 vibes...

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Who's on the music? That gives me Type-0 vibes...
    God willing, it will be Masayoshi Soken.