As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2935826

Whoa mama, there are a LOT of new base types.
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I'm very tempted by that shattering steel. It looked kind of lame in the developer video, but I assume it will get a lot cooler with the right support gems. Steel impale explosions caster is hard to pass up!

Now I just need to figure out how the heck to build that before Friday.....that hexblast is pretty tempting too though....

Shattering Steel's numbers look pretty nuts
    Now has a base attack speed multiplier of 85%.
    Now deals 100% of base damage at gem level 1, up to 127% at gem level 20.
    Now has 8 to 12 added attack physical damage at gem level 1, up to 113 to 169 added attack physical damage at gem level 20.
    Now has a 40% chance to impale enemies on hit.
    Now fires 2 additional projectiles.
    Projectiles now deal up to 100% more damage at close range, based on the distance they travel, per Steel Shard consumed.
    Now grants 1 Steel Charge when you consume Steel Shards, granting +4% chance to block attack projectiles per steel charge. These have a base duration of 5 seconds.
    Now consumes up to 2 Steel Shards.
    Now fires only one projectile if no Steel Shards are consumed.

Also: Each time you consume Steel Shards, you gain a Steel Charge (up to a maximum of 6), which grants 4% chance to block attack projectiles per Steel Charge.

Dang, I thought the bonus was going to be to blocking physical attacks and not just projectiles. That makes me less excited, but the damage does sound nice. If I find a fancy build using it before Friday I maaay give it a shot, but it seems a bit less certain than some other builds I'm looking at.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    38thDoe wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Vulnerability

No longer causes attack hits to have a chance to Maim cursed enemies.
    No longer causes cursed enemies to take increased physical damage from damage over time.
    Curses applied by casting this spell now gain 10 Doom per second.
    Now causes ailments inflicted on cursed enemies to deal damage 20% faster.

fucking lol

Is this the final fantasy Doom where monsters die after a set period? That would be fun. Or is it more like Ruthless?( think that's the one)

it dis
    Hexes apply a curse in an area and, when manually cast, apply an amount of Doom per second to cursed enemies up to a maximum. Doom increases the effect of the afflicted curse and stacks additively with modifiers to increased Curse effect.

Added a new Intelligence Skill Gem - Hex Blast: Deals chaos damage to a targeted enemy. If the enemy is hexed, it will remove the hex, dealing more damage based on the amount of doom on the removed hex, and dealing damage in an area around the enemy (also removing the hexes from enemies hit by the area and dealing more damage where applicable).
    Added a new Intelligence Support Gem - Impending Doom Support: Causes supported Hex skills to trigger Doom Blast when they are removed or expire. Doom Blast deals chaos damage in an area based on the amount of Doom the Hex had when it was removed or expired. Cannot support Triggered or Aura hexes.

so huge indirect facebreaker buff on poachers...
    Poacher's Mark
    Enemies afflicted with Poacher's Mark will always grant a frenzy charge when slain, and are more susceptible to physical damage. They always grant a small amount of life and mana when hit.
    No longer causes cursed enemies to grant increased flask charges.
    No longer causes cursed enemies to have less evasion.
    Cursed enemies now have a 100% chance to grant a frenzy charge when slain.
    Cursed enemies now grant 15 life when hit by attacks at gem level 1, up to 50 at gem level 20.
    Cursed enemies now grant 8 mana when hit by attacks at gem level 1, up to 25 at gem level 20.
    Now adds 6 to 9 physical damage to hits against cursed enemies at gem level 1, up to 30 to 45 at gem level 20.
    Cursed enemies now have -20% to physical damage reduction at all gem levels.
    Now causes cursed enemies to have a 1% chance to grant a frenzy charge when hit per 4% gem quality (from 1% chance to grant a frenzy charge when slain per 2% gem quality).

poachers (now snipers) mark gives a really cool "projectiles split" mod to ur projectiles when they hit the target

warlords gives rage when u stun the mob and chance for double stun duration + leech

punishment now cool as fuck
    Punishment
    Punishment no longer requires that you be hit by the cursed enemy to benefit from its effects, and instead grants large benefits for high-damage killing blows against cursed enemies.
    Now causes cursed enemies to take 50% increased damage while on Low Life at gem level 1, up to 88% increased damage at gem level 20.
    Now causes cursed enemies you hit to be Debilitated for 2 seconds.
    Now causes 10% of Overkill damage from killing blows against cursed enemies to be reflected to other enemies as physical damage.
    Now gains 1% increased effect of curse per 2% gem quality (previously caused cursed enemies to grant 1% increased attack speed on melee hit per 4% gem quality).

its phys herald of ash on a curse that stacks with herald of ash. note the massive bonus to damage on low life enemies that has synergy there too

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The Skittering Runes cluster has moved just below Heart of Thunder. The notable now grants +10 to maximum Doom and 10% increased Effect of your Curses (from 15% increased Effect of your Curses).
    The Whispers of Doom cluster has moved next to Chaos Inoculation. The first passive in the cluster now grants 10% increased Cast Speed for Curses (from 15% increased Curse Duration). The small passive on the left path now grants 50% increased Doom gain rate (from 15% increased Cast Speed for Curses).
    The Hex Master cluster has moved to the left side of the tree, next to Disciple of the Forbidden. It now has 3 small passives before the notable. The entry passive now grants 5% increased Effect of your Curses. The two passives before the notable each grant 50% increased Doom gain rate. The notable now exclusively applies to Hex skills.

this is a HUGE buff to curse occultist pathing. otoh looks like raw curse effect bein reduced probs for good reason
    The new Dark Intent cluster has been added where Skittering Runes used to be. It grants increases to the Effect of your Curses, reduced Mana Reservation of Curse Aura skills, increased damage with Hits and Ailments against Cursed Enemies, and additional starting Doom for all Hexes you apply.

jk new cluster down where skit used to be but still overall good
    Dreadwheel monsters (as found in The Climb) no longer have Quick and Fast Attacks as implicit modifiers, and have had the effects of those modifiers moved into their base properties. As a result, external modifiers to their movement and attack speed (such as those from Maps) will have a greater effect.

this could be really funny SPOOD NEMESIS WHEEL COMING IN HOT LEFT SIDE

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Lancing Steel with GMP, two Beltimbers and Dying Sun throws 44 projectiles, eats 4 out of 12 maximum shards and can therefore go three times...

Absalon wrote: »
    Lancing Steel with GMP, two Beltimbers and Dying Sun throws 44 projectiles, eats 4 out of 12 maximum shards and can therefore go three times...

something to think about here is the new snipers mark...

projectiles hitting the target split to 4 additional nearby.... das a lotta projonctiles... then they can chain

obF2Wuw.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    This sounds really cool, honestly;
    Added a new Keystone - Doomsday: Causes Hexes you cast to apply to an area, applying the Hex to all enemies in it for over its duration. The Hex area gains its maximum Doom after a short secondary duration.

Instead of casting a curse for each new group of enemies (and starting over on the Doom counter each time), you can put down a curse area that'll reach maximum Doom quickly and then anything that wanders into or spawns in the area will be full-Doom cursed immediately. There aren't too many times when this is something you'll want on for all your curses, but it only affects curses you cast so I could see it being really handy on builds that self-cast one curse while automatically applying others.

This will be a very fun league for me if I can keep up with the RSI, lol.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If I can find a way to build it, I'll probably try and go Spellslinger Blade Blast. Mathil was showing off a CoC Pathfinder with BB that looked pretty cool, although his builds always seem to require gear that is definitely not budget friendly.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited September 2020
    Regarding Shattering Steel's description: "Projectile distance is now more reliably modified by projectile speed" and "Projectiles now deal up to 100% more damage at close range, based on the distance they travel, per Steel Shard consumed". Assuming damage is exclusively based on your projectile damage, while the cone size is scaled by AoE.

With a base radius of 28, 20% reduced projectile speed on tree, and Slower Projectiles Support you can now achieve a radius of 15 (14 with Vicious Projectiles but whatevs), which will give 24% MORE damage with Point Blank (makes slower projectiles a 60% damage multiplier gem overall). With 5 base projectiles + Dying Sun you can expect your projectile to hit 3 cone hits (AoE only matters for clear).

If this damage scales the same as Point Blank you will get 160% more damage from consumed shards? 4 * 127 * 2.6 = 1320% weapon damage per attack for 3 attacks? On a gem with flat added damage. The only concern is generating more steel charges fast enough.

I could be wrong but that sounds like it could be funxing nutclusters. Now if only I had some kind of build with gear and a tree to go after.

Absalon on
    edited September 2020
    just do what u want u will figure it out aww yee

traditionally for those skills deadeye was great due to the +1 proj, 50% aoe and free chain alone with the global action speed being all universally beneficial but the proj speed might hurt

on the other hand there is now reduced proj speed on bottom right of tree so hurts less than previous

with big multi hits new poachers mark and dead eye 30 life per hit on bleed could be ridiculous with the steel skills also... 80 life or more per hit instant, x3 easily but then why not a vitality watchers or a bit of lgoh on gear etc

and 25 mana????

and t his will scale with curse effect....???

OH WAIT does "split into x projectiles" scale with curse effect???????

doing a barrage with high curse effect snipers mark could be hysterical, mark the main mob then shit a star of projectiles that then do whatever

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited September 2020
    from the looks of it doom is literally just stacking curse effect. it says "additively with curse effect"

what is base doom cap? 30 apparently which doesnt sound amazing?

so with tree investment u get 40% curse effect from the doom mechanic. on the other hand without investment its 30% so thats not the worst i suppose

the supports taht use doom scale off max doom cap so yeah that node is probably essential if its a 33% increase to the doom ur getting

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Rius wrote: »
    This sounds really cool, honestly;
    Added a new Keystone - Doomsday: Causes Hexes you cast to apply to an area, applying the Hex to all enemies in it for over its duration. The Hex area gains its maximum Doom after a short secondary duration.

Instead of casting a curse for each new group of enemies (and starting over on the Doom counter each time), you can put down a curse area that'll reach maximum Doom quickly and then anything that wanders into or spawns in the area will be full-Doom cursed immediately. There aren't too many times when this is something you'll want on for all your curses, but it only affects curses you cast so I could see it being really handy on builds that self-cast one curse while automatically applying others.

This will be a very fun league for me if I can keep up with the RSI, lol.

thinking about this u could run a less duration curse build using the impending doom support

drop the area, it lasts almost no time, everything inside how has a full doom like 0.4s curse then they blow up for full effect

obF2Wuw.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm not even pretending that I'm doing anything other than Crackling Lance as a league starter.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    VD slinger is probably still a great league starter. Not that hard to hit 65%+ block without GB, the mana reservation increase isn't relevant unless you're running a 6 link (you don't generally use Tabula in HC past white maps without good reason), Necro still has a zillion mana regen and attack speed, the cooldown looks like it's basically 3% longer on a level 20 gem.

Also tempted to start a CA or ED Trickster. Surprised it didn't get touched. Pathing to GB on a chaos build is a bit of a trap. Also has the opportunity to try out Hexblast and Impending Doom stuff in case those are nuts. I think chaos slinger took more of a hit than VD did. Trickster defense is still excellent.

Speaking of curse stuff Occultist could be excellent for damage but I'm skeptical of a league start on a hybrid or CI defensive setup without other layers of mitigation. Enfeeble took a nerf bat for HC, the crit avoidance was how it lowered your chance to rip, although with Doom maybe it's a better bossing curse now. That change has the weird effect of making boss fights less dangerous as they drag on, which is actually really nice for HC league start where you're not going to have oneshot damage against Conquerors. Then again Hexes probably get removed from Veritania dives and Drox bubbles and crap, because GGG is afraid of letting strong defensive mechanics exist.

Firestorm and Blazing Salvo look neat but I'm unsure how to build them with sufficient defense. Neither looks great to run an Ignite Trickster on. Could probably adapt a Cremation Archmage Necro to make them work, get mana regen from Essence Glutton and duration on Firestorm to maximize your mana cost investment. It's already a strong build foundation with several ways to make it endgame viable.

Speaking of Archmage: Discharge has a 450% damage effectiveness modifier. Discharge Heiro using, I dunno, Crackling Lance to build charges for gigantic booms? Into Stormfire Ignite late game stacking both power and endurance charges for a billion base damage for disgusting ignites, the 30% less ailment damage still gives it an effective 315% damage modifier for calculating ignites based off Archmage. Honestly sounds like the most interesting skill rework with tons of potential ways to use it.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    Speaking of Archmage: Discharge has a 450% damage effectiveness modifier. Discharge Heiro using, I dunno, Crackling Lance to build charges for gigantic booms? Into Stormfire Ignite late game stacking both power and endurance charges for a billion base damage for disgusting ignites, the 30% less ailment damage still gives it an effective 315% damage modifier for calculating ignites based off Archmage. Honestly sounds like the most interesting skill rework with tons of potential ways to use it.

Assassin Crackling Lance to build up those big Discharges sounds fun. You won't be constantly popping off with dishcarges unless you do a CoC setup, but if you can build the damage on the discharge high enough to 1 shot the big things, and Crackling Lance can clear stuff, I don't think it'll matter?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

VD slinger is probably still a great league starter. Not that hard to hit 65%+ block without GB, the mana reservation increase isn't relevant unless you're running a 6 link (you don't generally use Tabula in HC past white maps without good reason), Necro still has a zillion mana regen and attack speed, the cooldown looks like it's basically 3% longer on a level 20 gem.

Also tempted to start a CA or ED Trickster. Surprised it didn't get touched. Pathing to GB on a chaos build is a bit of a trap. Also has the opportunity to try out Hexblast and Impending Doom stuff in case those are nuts. I think chaos slinger took more of a hit than VD did. Trickster defense is still excellent.

Speaking of curse stuff Occultist could be excellent for damage but I'm skeptical of a league start on a hybrid or CI defensive setup without other layers of mitigation. Enfeeble took a nerf bat for HC, the crit avoidance was how it lowered your chance to rip, although with Doom maybe it's a better bossing curse now. That change has the weird effect of making boss fights less dangerous as they drag on, which is actually really nice for HC league start where you're not going to have oneshot damage against Conquerors. Then again Hexes probably get removed from Veritania dives and Drox bubbles and crap, because GGG is afraid of letting strong defensive mechanics exist.

Firestorm and Blazing Salvo look neat but I'm unsure how to build them with sufficient defense. Neither looks great to run an Ignite Trickster on. Could probably adapt a Cremation Archmage Necro to make them work, get mana regen from Essence Glutton and duration on Firestorm to maximize your mana cost investment. It's already a strong build foundation with several ways to make it endgame viable.

I'm with you on Occultist. The new curse stuff sounds made for them, but their defenses on a league starter scare the hell out of me. Trickster is just so easy to make so tanky!

high curse effect occultists are basically gods even with this change, the crit stuff is v minor especially given how crit confirms work

blind + a bit of evasion + high curse effect enfeeble with mobs having crap chance to hit to begin with and needing to roll for crits anyway + high effect temp temp chains meaning they cant fucking move, with them already having a bunch of reduced damage dealt anyway...

obF2Wuw.png
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    high curse effect occultists are basically gods even with this change, the crit stuff is v minor especially given how crit confirms work

blind + a bit of evasion + high curse effect enfeeble with mobs having crap chance to hit to begin with and needing to roll for crits anyway + high effect temp temp chains meaning they cant fucking move, with them already having a bunch of reduced damage dealt anyway...

I've been thinking about curses this league; what damage would you pair this with? I feel like the curse explosions would get rid of too many of your curses.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    thats next level overpowered but sure i respect it

also re: curses and occultists invictus

usually u run at least one of ur defensive curses on blasphemy. most common choice is temp chains because high curse effect temp chains is dumb and old blasphemy added curse effect

obF2Wuw.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Well hey, there's my summoner build decided for me. Spiders was a sick build last league and this is the same thing but less clunky.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    note that it says "hit" not melee hit so u can just spam random proj skills or whatever its not even hard to trigger

obF2Wuw.png
    Lightning Strike seems like a pretty solid option for it. I think it's still ideal to stick to a regular elemental Spectre for aoe clear than go all in on Chaos conversion and get Crazed Drivers (Phys Slave Driver). Reflect immunity is a great upside though. Off to PoB!

Heh yeah, if that unique isn't incredibly rare, skeletons may be back on the menu! My favorite build, hmmmmm......

also the skeleton archer alternate quality gem thing too which could be fun

obF2Wuw.png
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Gems are out, flame wall’s secondary is a lot higher than I was expecting, and hexblast looks pretty good too.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I'm a pretty casual player and I was reading and watching some stuff on the hate against leveling and it finally hit me that maps aren't end-game, it's more middle-game or 'the game'.

In my experience mapping was always end-game grind stuff and I always wondered how people were always getting so in-game rich and getting all these drops. I hate having to slog through the campaign continuously so by the time I get to maps, I'm just so frustrated and burnt out on the grind there and with the belief that maps are just more of that, I usually quit the league after the 2nd time leveling a character.

Lo and behold my surprise finding out that Maps are considered 'the beginning' of a build. I've apparently been approaching this whole game completely wrong from the onset.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    'Endgame' is running juiced up T16s and sometimes the league mechanic if it's profitable to engage in. There's other stuff like bossing, challenges, deep delves, and grinding 100 but those are money holes where you do it for the fun of it and expect to be poorer by the end.

Evigilant wrote: »
    I'm a pretty casual player and I was reading and watching some stuff on the hate against leveling and it finally hit me that maps aren't end-game, it's more middle-game or 'the game'.

In my experience mapping was always end-game grind stuff and I always wondered how people were always getting so in-game rich and getting all these drops. I hate having to slog through the campaign continuously so by the time I get to maps, I'm just so frustrated and burnt out on the grind there and with the belief that maps are just more of that, I usually quit the league after the 2nd time leveling a character.

Lo and behold my surprise finding out that Maps are considered 'the beginning' of a build. I've apparently been approaching this whole game completely wrong from the onset.

Yeah, it's one thing that I kind of miss about D3, and skipping all of the story quests.

edited September 2020
    Evigilant wrote: »

i mean maps just exist

the game is whatever u want it to be

i barely do maps

i kill a10 kitava, do a white, do a yellow, do a red if i feel like it or think it would be funny, then reroll

poe is a playground not a challenge and u should probably never read anything anybody ever types on reddit or whatever about the "meta" or what is good this game is basically a singleplayer game with trading do wat u want live ur best life

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Yeah it's really whatever you want to make it. I hit maps on most of my characters, but not T16 maps on a majority of them. To some people, that's crazy and a waste. If you've run through the story 100+ times, you're going to start seeing it as a waste and just a temporary roadblock to realizing your full build. But if you haven't, you don't have to! I actually really enjoyed the story my first time through, which was shocking for an ARPG. There are plenty of builds that work amazingly while you level up too. The game doesn't need to be miserable until maps if you don't want it to be.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the biggest problem with the story, aside from it being boring as shit, is that most builds are not complete until a10+ and there are very few worthwhile drops

the game doesn't really start for most people until they get to maps, because they straight up can't play their completed build until then, and that sucks shit

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I kinda wanna make a bane hexblast occultist for league start but I'll prolly do it wrong and end up unable to do maps. Or like act 6 and up. I swear they should just integrate PoB into their site so I can start fuckin with it as soon as possible, the waiting is murder.

Plenty basic concepts look strong. Any class with discharge and archmage. Any non-melee and non-bow class with hexblast. Any class with easy charge generation and discharge. Shattering steel if you can overlap AoEs. Pinpoint fireball through firewall.

edited September 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the biggest problem with the story, aside from it being boring as shit, is that most builds are not complete until a10+ and there are very few worthwhile drops

the game doesn't really start for most people until they get to maps, because they straight up can't play their completed build until then, and that sucks shit

That's a chicken/egg problem though. You don't have to design your build to only be complete post maps. I can give you several that are great as soon as you get your first ascendancy, and there are some that are great even before that (ED/contagion). A good build will continue to scale into end game, but it's not necessary to have a build that completely sucks until you get your 4th ascendancy or are level 80+. The build makers are making the conscious decision to just zombie their way through the story, suck it up, and get to maps to realize their concept.

There are a ton of builds that fit that description! But it's not an absolute. You're choosing builds that are only complete post maps -- you don't have to do that. The entire concept of a "league starter build" is that it doesn't suck to get through the story and early maps with that build, and there are lots of them! Even calling a build "complete" is a matter of perspective for lots of builds. I've played several vortex builds where the guide maker doesn't consider it complete until you have a freaking Atziri's Mirror. I can confirm you absolutely do not need an Atziri's mirror -- you need one to be the ultimate meta pro master who laughs at all of your friends. To someone who plays only for the end game and grinding maxxxx currency, it makes sense to say you need that to complete it. To someone who just wants to do well in the league, and be able to do a majority of content without spending 300 hours on one character, it's absurd overkill.

Fiatil on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My usual go-to for a post map build that aint fun to level is umpty hundred orbs of regret purchased in bulk.

Solves that problem right quick. I just scroll down to the first obviously Russian or Korean name on the trade list and off we go.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I'm kinda thinking of going max survivability for my league starter, leaning towards Gladiator with max block, Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics, Imbalanced Guard, Wind Dancer, and just enough armor/evasion to hit 20% PDR/evade. Tack on Fortify and Withering Step, maybe even Enduring Cry if I can work it in.

Not sure what to use offensively yet - maybe a Steel skill or Ice Crash.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Brother, I was considering the same. Tank things with my face and cold steel for a change.

No dominating blow this time. And no phantasms. Maybe even no skellingtons?

Gosh I love vaal skellies. What a delightful spell.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    not sure if im doing curses, messing around with the alternative elemental debuffs now they gots more tree support (the brittle one owns, its base crit), some kind of scuffed steel stuff who knows

probably all 3

obF2Wuw.png
    edited September 2020
    also i need to test a bunch of the new curse mechanics and curse effect because high effect punishment could be absolutly clownshoes and getting 8 projectile splits from snipers mark could be double clownshoes

pinpoint support is absolutely insane on barrage also \0/

"marked enemies have 10% REDUCED accuracy rating"

das crazy

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

Searing Bond Default 20% increased totem life
    Alternate Quality 1 40% increased Totem Duration
    Alternate Quality 2 20% increased Damage
    Alternate Quality 3 +2 to maximum number of Summoned Totems

hmmmmmmmmmm

J3qcnBP.png