As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    It's really tough to give any manager of the decade to a guy who drafted 3 MVPS, traded one of them for, basically, Steven Adams, and couldn't hold on to the others. He's def had his ups and downs.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Also hard to give him manager of the year when he basically got those picks handed to him by Kawhi. Dude told the Clippers what they needed to do in order for him to sign there, which meant they had no leverage and Presti could rightfully ask for the moon knowing he might actually get it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    If I'm remembering correctly, they only have Kawhi and Dayoff P locked up for next season, right? So potentially those two could bolt after next year?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Or sooner. Contract length doesn't mean what it used to in the NBA.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    can Paul George go to the Lakers where everyone thought he was going

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Xehalus wrote: »

Ewww

PG should go to Brooklyn

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Turkson wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »

This one is extremely lame. The Nuggets already played a 7 game series, got like a day off, and then went into another 7 game series. And the Clippers are claiming exhaustion?

Probably the elevation. I know lots of teams have issues playing Denver because of it.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options

He had 2 chances. He doesn’t get a third.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

This one is extremely lame. The Nuggets already played a 7 game series, got like a day off, and then went into another 7 game series. And the Clippers are claiming exhaustion?

Probably the elevation. I know lots of teams have issues playing Denver because of it.

Can’t... tell... if joking... 🤔🤔🤔

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    I'd prob be willing to let bygones be bygones and accept pg on the Blazers. We could use a strong 4th option behind Dame, CJ, and Melo.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Jokic had Corona and is still playing.

I’ve heard the elevation thing before for Denver as an advantage though.

• Options
    Forgive me, to my great shame, I forgot Gary Trent. PG can be 5th option on Blazers.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I thought the elevation thing only mattered IN denver. Does it provide a benefit for denver outside of Denver? Even after they’ve been in orlando for 3 months?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Also hard to give him manager of the year when he basically got those picks handed to him by Kawhi. Dude told the Clippers what they needed to do in order for him to sign there, which meant they had no leverage and Presti could rightfully ask for the moon knowing he might actually get it.

He should at least get credit for getting PG to resign. Presti clearly promised to get him to a desirable location in exchange for that.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    And yes, it was meant as a joke. I just hear that excuse constantly when NFL teams play at high altitudes.

• Options
    And yes, it was meant as a joke. I just hear that excuse constantly when NFL teams play at high altitudes.

It’s why jokic can shoot his rainbows so high - low air pressure

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Are you seriously saying that Presti shouldn't be given EOTY because... he played the hand he was dealt? Which, by the way, isn't some random hand but rather an iterative outcome of previous hands and shuffles, all of which every other executive understands form the breaks of the front office game?

He had all the leverage because he held a high-value card that someone else wanted - which, again, didn't float into his hand by complete accident - and he knew how to best play it for short-, medium-, and long-term benefits.

You are making the same bankrupt and shortsighted argument as how every single championship should have an asterisk because someone got injured during the playoffs. Injuries and serendipitous trade requests happen; the whole goddamn point of being a good executive is that you're evaluated on The Process, and how the plays you make set your process up even for such unforeseen luck/unluck.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I think I'd argue that Presti has fallen into the Sam Hinkie dilemma of being great at accumulating assets but not doing anything with them. And yeah, Oklahoma City is (theoretically) set up for the future, but Executive of the Year is a yearly award that should be given to the GM who put their team in the best position to win a title in that year. Presti has a ton of 1st rounders the next few years, but each team he made those trades with made it farther in the playoffs this year. He's given up solid players in recent years (Oladipo, Sabonis) and gave up a quality player in Jerami Grant this past offseason. And his draft results have..not been great, especially in recent years.

To that end, Pat Riley would deserve it the most - signed a marquee free agent in Butler, nailed his draft (Herro) and signed a team that fits well together (including signing a little-known talent in Duncan Robinson), made a solid trade at the deadline to supplement his lineup in multiple ways (picking up Jae Crowder and Iggy) and has his team set up for an NBA title run.

Hell, bias showing, but fucking Rob Pelinka did a better job this year, making the risky trade to bring in Davis, signing a group of vets who actually make sense, making a solid head coaching hire, and having his team run over the Western Conference. Hell, he even got a second round pick that looks like he could become a solid NBA contributor and was playing meaningful minutes in this last series, and has routinely hit on his later round draft picks. There's a Process there too - it just led to results.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Forgive me, to my great shame, I forgot Gary Trent. PG can be 5th option on Blazers.

Don't you dare wish for PG in Portland.

• Options
    Don’t forget Masai Ujiri

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The difference between Hinkie and Presti is that the former never got the chance to actually see his plan through. Blaming him for where the 76ers ended up for the past few years is inaccurate.

Presti will frankly never live down the Harden trade.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »

Don't you dare wish for PG in Portland.

I'm so sorry, i don't know what I was thinking.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I understand the comedy of the Clippers blowing it again etc., but some folks are taking it a bridge too far.

Like I'm seeing dumb ass takes about how Kawhi and the Raptors "got lucky" last year and trying to invalidate that championship, which is some bullshit.

And the whole "Kawhi doesn't belong in the same conversation as Lebron talk is a little ridiculous. I mean, yes I would unequivocally say Lebron is the best player in the NBA, but I don't think one series totally invalidates everything else Kawhi has done to this point.

Fuck Paul George though, keep clowning his bum ass.

• Options
    I do think there is a reason Kawhi was able to join up with the Raptors and immediately find success, and it's because he's not much of a leader.

He's very quiet and understated, and really seems to refuse to take the reins of his teams. Which worked when he was with the Raptors, because the Raptors had Kyle Lowry who is very much a leader (as this last postseason showed). And it worked when he was with the Spurs because that team still had Duncan and Parker and Ginobli. But on the Clippers, he is on a team where he is very much supposed to be the leader, but cannot fulfill that role for various reasons. And it's why so many are willing to dismiss him from the "better than Lebron" conversation, because Lebron not only has the talent that bends entire organizations around him, but the leadership capabilities to best harness that ability.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mostly the Kawhi criticism I've seen is, "why did he want Paul George there so fucking bad if this is what he was going to bring to the table." Well, most of the non-"lol he thought he was going to be the king of LA????" stuff from apparently extremely sensitive Lakers fans, anyways. Even in the midst of his shit talking last night, Dame made sure to say how much he respected Kawhi, which didn't seem sarcastic.

(I'd say the Raptors did get a little lucky last year, in that they got to play a Golden State team without Durant or Klay, really, but they still had to make the finals, and they outplayed everyone to get there, so, whatever)

• Options
    Kawhi built his reputation on really one postseason, last year's with the Raptors. His first finals MVP isn't on the same level as the ones earned by Lebron, KD, or his own last year. He was more like Iggy, or Billups where the team itself was great, and he had a big series..He averaged like 18 points a game on low usage and high efficiency. It was during that stretch where, like Iggy, he sort of paradoxically got credit for guarding Lebron when he was putting up crazy numbers (28/8/4 on 57/53/80 splits for Lebron that series).

I'm not saying Kawhi didn't deserve his finals MVP, I thought he earned it that series (I would have given Iggys to Lebron while losing, personally), but we kind of use it as evidence that he has been a top top guy when it was really more like a good series for a guy on a great team kind-of situation.

• Options
    The difference between Hinkie and Presti is that the former never got the chance to actually see his plan through. Blaming him for where the 76ers ended up for the past few years is inaccurate.

Presti will frankly never live down the Harden trade.

Harden doesn’t become what he is now on a team with KD. Even Westbrook doesn’t become who he was in OKC if Durant is still there.

But it’s supreme depth for OKC for sure, so maybe they win a finals before KD leaves anyway

All that being said about what OKC might have been, if we compare what OKC actually is with what Houston actually is since that trade, OKC has had better postseason success over that span...

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    He needs to replace somebody on commentary for the dunk contest as well. His insight there would be very good.

• Options
    Looks like Maya Moore married the man who she retired from basketball to help free from prison. What a fascinating story. I wonder if she will go back to balling after this, or if she will have found that the justice system is truly her passion long term.

• Options
    I was hoping VC would stay with the Hawks as a mentor/coach but maybe we can have less bs from Pierce with McGrady and Carter flanking him

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just want to know when Mark Jackson will never be on an NBA broadcast ever again. Maybe then I'll start listening to them again.

• Options
    Yeah, I would be happy for him to be a coach of someone just to not hear him on the broadcasts.

• Options
    Mark Jackson should have 3 championships right now

• Options
    That's just silly. He helped build the Warriors, but they completely changed their style without him, and went from losing in the first round to winning the title. With Jackson, they were last in the league in passes, then went to first in the league under Kerr. That's not to say that passes=wins, just saying that what Jackson was doing was completely different and would have no guarantee of Kerr's level of success.

• Options
    Mark Jackson should have 3 championships right now

That's definitely a take.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Mike Malone was the legit coach of those teams before Kerr came along. Jackson preached, Malone teached.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I feel like Paul Millsap has been in the league for 80 years.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I feel like Paul Millsap has been in the league for 80 years.

I had totally forgotten Jokic is 24 and Murray 22, in my head they were like 5 years older.

Going to be good for a looong time.

Edit:

Kelor on
This discussion has been closed.