As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2020 in Social Entropy++
I can’t help but wonder whose job it was to keep reapplying blush to Ian Somerhalder’s cheeks during filming...

Lost is a show about a plane that crashes and some people get LOST on an island. There’s a doctor named Sawyer, a big guy with curly hair named, Jack, and an ex-Iraqi soldier named Hurley.

They were all flying from Tokyo when their plane crashed on a small island located in parts unknown.

The show goes for 1 season and at the end they build a boat and sail home.

It’s ok. Pretty straightforward, no mystery at all.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Watching Close Enough, I never commited to watching Regular Show in spite loving absurdist humour and the eps I watched, but I'm digging this show. Even if the episodes being gutted is very noticeable.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Watching Close Enough, I never commited to watching Regular Show in spite loving absurdist humour and the eps I watched, but I'm digging this show. Even if the episodes being gutted is very noticeable.

I contend that Regular Show is the greatest show ever created. It’s 100% perfectly tailored to me.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Watching the new Lovecraft Country.

A lot of the steam is out of this show and they keep doing little things to turn me off of the show but it’s still really good and Jurnee Smollett is a force.

It keeps slipping though.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's weird how the TV show Lovecraft Country seems to increasingly resemble the book Lovecraft Country, even as its content diverges further and further.

The book was fine, but it's really just the first couple of stories that actually landed for me, and everything post that was diminishing returns that might feature one of the characters I liked from the first part so I guess I'll keep reading and see if it sticks the landing (not really).

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm curious if the next season of Close Enough will have a different feel now that it's being made with HBO in mind. It will at least get rid of the awkward places where commercials are clearly meant to be.

edited September 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It's weird how the TV show Lovecraft Country seems to increasingly resemble the book Lovecraft Country, even as its content diverges further and further.

The book was fine, but it's really just the first couple of stories that actually landed for me, and everything post that was diminishing returns that might feature one of the characters I liked from the first part so I guess I'll keep reading and see if it sticks the landing (not really).

Was any of the explicitly gross shit in the book? I honestly can’t remember.

After the shit in episode 5 I’m just about done. I’m going to give it another episode because I love Jurnee Smollett and she’s killing it but if there’s something shitty in this next one, I’m out.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Was any of the explicitly gross shit in the book? I honestly can’t remember.

After the shit in episode 5 I’m just about done. I’m going to give it another episode because I love Jurnee Smollett and she’s killing it but if there’s something shitty in this next one, I’m out.

I don't think so, no. The book transitions to a much more pulp sci-fi direction (which I think has its own problems), whereas this seems to be trying to keep much closer to horror even with its less traditional horror stories.

Which I think is a strong move conceptually, but the ways of keeping things in the horror realm have been... not good (and honestly not good horror really either).

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

it is increasingly wild how little faith SNL has in their actual cast to play these people

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    my mind is absolutely bending at the concept of Jim Carrey as Joe Biden

I'm trying to picture it and I just cannot, it's like a Lovecraftian image, something shuts off to protect me

6F32U1X.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I started watching Away.
    i keep hitting minor science blips and errors that interfere with my ability to enjoy it, but I force myself to get over them in the name of "well it makes a better narrative ...", and then they do it again but worse. I keep shouting at the screen now.

The actors are mostly pretty great though, so there's that.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I can’t help but wonder whose job it was to keep reapplying blush to Ian Somerhalder’s cheeks during filming....

lay off dude just gots dem rosy cheeks

Magic Pink wrote: »
    I can’t help but wonder whose job it was to keep reapplying blush to Ian Somerhalder’s cheeks during filming....

lay off dude just gots dem rosy cheeks

Well then they went through a lot of concealer on Vampire Diaries!

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    my mind is absolutely bending at the concept of Jim Carrey as Joe Biden

I'm trying to picture it and I just cannot, it's like a Lovecraftian image, something shuts off to protect me

I don't know, is there something weird about picturing Joe Biden in a Hawaiian shirt pretending to talk out of his butt cheeks?
    Yes, definitely

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I feel like maybe Jim Carrey could do a decent Biden, though I am curious whether they just decided to go with more of a celebrity non-cast member (like switching out Hammond for Baldwin, though Baldwin did have a significant history with the show) or if Jason Sudeikis didn't want to keep doing it on a regular basis

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    aw MAN

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

it is increasingly wild how little faith SNL has in their actual cast to play these people

Well their head writer is a massive idiot who thinks hes on the daily show not a late night sketch show

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Giving Jim Carrey, a vocal anti-vaxxer, a big platform right now seems like a bad move to me.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    aw MAN

It's a shame - we were cooking up some legitimately great stuff. Ah, well. Such is television.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    aw MAN

It's a shame - we were cooking up some legitimately great stuff. Ah, well. Such is television.

I don't suppose you're in a place to know or guess what are the odds of it getting picked up someplace else?

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    aw MAN

I don't suppose you're in a place to know or guess what are the odds of it getting picked up someplace else?

NO idea. I only heard about the cancellation half an hour before it hit Deadline (and half an hour after I submitted my script for episode four, lol)

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ the penultimate Good Place throws some existentially terrifying shit at you and lightspeed resolves it

hope I'll sleep tonight

sig.gif
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I got a 6 month trail of Quibi through Tmobile.

Is there anything on it worth watching?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I got a 6 month trail of Quibi through Tmobile.

Is there anything on it worth watching?

Watch that golden arm show from Sam Raimi.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    We got the free year of apple TV and are checking out Ted Lasso, the show where a college football coach gets hired to coach (tank) a premier league team.

As long as you are good with Jason Sudekis, it's actually quite charming and good. A nice spot of cheery sunshine with a few good emotional beats.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm watching Raised by Wolves and caught up with the most recent episode.
    They better explain what the hell this ghost thing is next episode.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Depending on how much they're willing to spend on a CG Shulk, sure.

uyvfOQy.png
    Tatiana Maslany started thinking about a Comedy Bang Bang bit while kissing a male co-star once and laughed into his mouth

I think about that incredibly charming story a LOT

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

You don't hire Maslany and also spend money on CGI like that. She'll play both parts.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I'm torn between excited that Little Orphan Black is gonna get paid and also knowing that I will watch the show and it will be a solid Ok and I will forget all about it

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hm, alright. I've never seen her in anything but mostly i'm just happy the show is happening at all.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    you should consider watching Perry Mason or Orphan Black

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Go Full Ferigno and just get a really tall buff lady Jen and She Hulk have wildly different personalities anyway so itll work fine

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I had a feeling having a tub of ice cream on standby would be necessary to watch the Good Place finale

I was right

sig.gif
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Maslany She-Hulk? Fuckin...okay! I'll take it.

In other news...this little Raised by Wolves show continues to be great, but im still nervous about the other shoe dropping and it becoming terrible. So far so good though!

Also: I am not okay with Stumptown being cancelled, damnit! I was really enjoying it. Even my mom loved that show, and she hates everything.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    oh no...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.