As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, wasn't a fan of Zophar's redesign in 2.
    zophar-lunar-eternal-blue-4.12_thumb.jpg
    3klu1pu7a7mz.png

vs:

340?cb=20060809030859
    amarec20160414-212146.jpeg

I don't think 2 got ruined as much as 1 in the remake process(huge chunks of the game were altered from the original), but 2's removal of the Star Dragon Guardian was a big oversight.

wVEsyIc.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I did like Lunar 2 a lot more than Silver Star, definitely.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Oh. Did they make the PS1 versions of Lunar 1 & 2 easier?

No, Working Designs artificially inflated the difficulty of the sega cd versions.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Given the choice, I'd say Lunar 2 also, but 1's just pure nostalgia for me, especially the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLLN5U9w2U

wVEsyIc.png
    Honestly, my issue with a lot of early/mid-90s RPG were that many of them seemed to make legitimately difficult/extremely plentiful encounters, and also make saving the game infrequent, or inconvenient, or both.

Which, if both of those things are true, then congratulations! You just made everything else you put into your game completely irrelevant, because you just made a bad video game.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Javen wrote: »
    Honestly, my issue with a lot of early/mid-90s RPG were that many of them seemed to make legitimately difficult/extremely plentiful encounters, and also make saving the game infrequent, or inconvenient, or both.

Which, if both of those things are true, then congratulations! You just made everything else you put into your game completely irrelevant, because you just made a bad video game.

While this is true because they are old RPGs

WD decided that wasn't enough so they made the enemies harder, give less XP and money, and made healing more expensive

Maddoc on

Lunar 1 lets you freely save anywhere, but 2 has the infamous pay-to-save feature because Vic's a madman. There is a patch to remove it, though.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0
    All enemies have their stats restored to what they were in the Japanese version. (The US version increases most enemies' HP by 25% or more, and also drastically increases many enemies' Attack and/or Defense).
    * Saving no longer costs Magic EXP.
    * Items that were made more expensive in the US version now cost the original amounts.
    * Spells that had their MP costs raised in the US version have been restored to the original costs.
    * The Althena statues that require donations to use have had their fees reduced to the original amounts. (All but one were originally 100s per use.)
    * The mayor of Larpa's information fee has been restored from 500s to the original 30s.
    * The replaced music in the Star Dragon Tower has been removed.
    * The swapped icons for the Heal Litany and Calm Litany spell lines have been reverted.
    * Various bits of censorship done to meet Sega of America's content policies have been undone:
    * The minor changes to the nude shots of Lucia in the opening cutscene have been reverted.
    * All pentagrams (large and small teleport pads, Magic Shield icon, various battle animations) have been restored.
    * The nude shot of Luna in the flashback to The Silver Star (which was edited in that game as well) has been restored.
    * Plantarium/Plantella's nudity has been restored.
    * Though not technically a "restoration", all text has been converted to proper mixed case instead of all-caps, and has been proofread to remove the most egregious errors. Since the game's original English font didn't look very good with combined upper and lower case letters, it's also been tweaked a bit to hopefully look better.

532vgzX.pngdMCsmro.pngKhhg3Vf.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

No, Working Designs artificially inflated the difficulty of the sega cd versions.

They pulled that with Silhouette Mirage too. I kinda like it on that one though.

edited September 2020
    turtleant wrote: »

This isn't strictly true. GameArts themselves made all the dungeons and maps smaller as well in the Saturn/PS1 versions.

Sega CD:
    Lunar-The-Silver-Star-screenshot-2.png

Complete:
    940900-lunar-silver-star-story-complete-windows-screenshot-the-party.png

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The problem is that the way they fucked with the difficulty is just in the service of tedium

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    If they're going to make changes like that, they need to offer the original options as well, DMC3 reissue style.

If they're going to make changes like that, they need to offer the original options as well, DMC3 reissue style.

Lunar is the only series I can think of where each successive remake just kept taking more away. There's never been a 'definitive' version.

wVEsyIc.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Lunar is the only series I can think of where each successive remake just kept taking more away. There's never been a 'definitive' version.

The GBA version was quite shocking when I read about what it did. Also... stop doing remakes and make new games! Yes, of course I'm aware of Dragon Song, that wound would be much less deep if there were way more original games that weren't made by 1st gen learning AIs or a sentient April Fool's joke.

cj iwakura wrote: »

The GBA version was quite shocking when I read about what it did. Also... stop doing remakes and make new games! Yes, of course I'm aware of Dragon Song, that wound would be much less deep if there were way more original games that weren't made by 1st gen learning AIs or a sentient April Fool's joke.

Lunar pretty much died with Studio Alex, that's why they just keep milking the originals.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I've only played the PSP version of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. Even though I was enjoying it, I stopped somewhere, and it's been like a year since I last played it. Seemed kinda easy.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    I've only played the PSP version of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. Even though I was enjoying it, I stopped somewhere, and it's been like a year since I last played it. Seemed kinda easy.

Easily the easiest version, and has the least content of all of them.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That white dragon's cave was really close to the village.

It seems to me that the PS1 Lunars are better presentations.

Krathoon on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hey so the fight with
    Gold Face in Mechonis
    core is complete shit. Like, I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve died to bosses in the game before this. Fucktbis bullshit

PiptheFair on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hey so the fight
    with Gold Face in Mechonis core is complete shit.
    Like, I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve died to bosses in the game before this. Fucktbis bullshit

Yeah... I ate a couple levels from expert mode for those fights so it wouldn't be at red for me. This is the one with a ring-shaped arena around the boss, right?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Gold Face is when I put difficulty on Casual and never looked back

Fucking finally got him with Shulk Sharla and Dunban. Fuck this dumbass fight

Like. The problem is that when the countdown starts he will spawn a set of adds and another will spawn immediately before and they fucking buff and then one shot you. Who thought that was ok?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    O.o how did they one-shot you?

That seems odd.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    if you're underleveled maybe

I ended up doing every quest basically before that fight and I was the same level as the boss & adds (72 afaik? been a few months), and with shulk/reyn/dunban I definitely lost one the two tanks to adds while running around trying to kill the pillars

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy XVI reveal trailer:

https://youtu.be/ofWtkPs92Nc

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Can't wait for my children to play that in 2065

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Can't wait for my children to play that in 2065

YoshiP’s producing so I bet 2022.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    That sure was some JRPG dialog!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Playstation console exclusive*

*also available on PC

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    That trailer looked extremely bland.

Not saying the game will be bad or anything but I am 0% excited.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Seems more interesting than four dudes in a car.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    That trailer was 100% my jam. DMC style combat in a more low key fantasy setting is basically my dream Final Fantasy game; I've been getting kinda tired of the vaguely futuristic but not quite sci fi aesthetic for a while.

Like, fuck yeah I wanna combo the shit out of a malboro in a swamp, then go back to some dingy looking castle and brood in a dark room.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Like I said in the FF thread it makes sense for this one to be more fantasy since FF7R has the futuristic end covered.

I like the political machinations(hi Vagrant Story) vibe, but I'm a bit less excited that it's going back to straight fantasy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I am all in for FF16 after not even being slightly interested in FF15. Because Yoshi-P has a ton of credit in my book and I'm inclined to trust that he's going to prove himself worthy of it.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i remember reading somewhere that the heavensward team is involved and that is enough to make me extremely interested, although I can't remember where i read it

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The character designs and voices are like straight out of FFXIV.

Plus if the DMC combat person they poached was for this then even more reason to get hyped.

I dunno about heavensward, but the director was the assistant director of ARR and a supervising designer for stormblood.

But it definitely wouldn’t surprise me if a bunch of the 14 team were involved.

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    whoa, that's the most dark souls looking FF to date.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    I dunno about heavensward, but the director was the assistant director of ARR and a supervising designer for stormblood.

But it definitely wouldn’t surprise me if a bunch of the 14 team were involved.
    but wait those are the bad parts of ff14

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.