As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Have we talked about John Steinbeck?

We did East of Eden in 11th grade. I'd never really encountered a generational story before. Also i remember something about syphilis. But i honestly can't recall anything about it despite remembering it fondly? Also it's real long. It was summer reading or i don't know if they could have justified it.

though I think, generally grapes of wrath is the more traditional academic choice?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The manager who interviewed me for the EPP place added me on linkedin! Good sign, I think. Though I think there's one more interview to go at least.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

We did East of Eden in 11th grade. I'd never really encountered a generational story before. Also i remember something about syphilis. But i honestly can't recall anything about it despite remembering it fondly? Also it's real long. It was summer reading or i don't know if they could have justified it.

though I think, generally grapes of wrath is the more traditional academic choice?

In my school district Of Mice & Men is the traditional Steinbeck novel read by every student in junior high.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

Personally east of Eden was a defining book for me. Lee's "thou mayest rule over sin" and meditating on psychopaths like Cathy are things I've come back to all my life.

Agreed it's too long for school. Grapes of wrath is the east choice. i think Cannery Row and tortilla flats get slept on.

Of mice and men needs a clear, strong syllabus to avoid reinforcing ableist attitudes

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So remember a while back when I posted about how much work it was to get a bunch of people to be available for deposition preps and depositions when we're working on a deadline for a deposition that HAD to be done by next week? And there was the one guy that said he was available, but then he wasn't, but then it turns out he was?

Well today I get an email saying that hey, actually we're going to push his deposition back, and we're going to submit a stipulation to continue the trial date, which would also push back this deadline.

Like, come on. In the end this is a good thing, but after all that work, this deposition gets pushed back again?!? Arrrrgh!

At least the other ones went by fine.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Grapes of Wrath. That final scene with Rosasharn. It just has embedded itself into my brain. Definitely had an impact on me. Just a profound mental image that's stayed with me since high school.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So remember a while back when I posted about how much work it was to get a bunch of people to be available for deposition preps and depositions when we're working on a deadline for a deposition that HAD to be done by next week? And there was the one guy that said he was available, but then he wasn't, but then it turns out he was?

Well today I get an email saying that hey, actually we're going to push his deposition back, and we're going to submit a stipulation to continue the trial date, which would also push back this deadline.

Like, come on. In the end this is a good thing, but after all that work, this deposition gets pushed back again?!? Arrrrgh!

At least the other ones went by fine.

Saw that one coming. :bro:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    What I don't like about Gatsby is when idiots think it's something they want to emulate, like those "Gatsby parties" of yesteryear.

As a story it's fine I suppose. I wasn't really into it but it didn't inspire feelings one way or the other so there's that.

Madican on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    Tech at another school posts in the group chat. This person has been in this department longer than I have.

OtherTech: This particular student (post screenshot of student name, dob, id#, etc) can't login to their Google account. We have tried on multiple devices and networks, is this an easy fix?

Me: Check the admin console and see if it's locked out or disabled?

OtherTech: It's not working.

Manager 2 levels higher than us: I checked the console for you, the account is active.

Me: Reset the password?

OT: Still can't login.

Manager: Do you have a good network connection?

OT: Yes, tried on two different devices. I can login but the student account can't.

Manager: Reset the password

OT: It's not working.

Manager: The account is being locked out with bad attempts. You need to reset the password.

OT: We have a new device and it's still not working.

Our Immediate Supervisor: Hey OT I just unlocked the account and reset the password.

OT: working now

Hey I think I used to work with that person!

... I'm sorry...

At least once a day at a client's house:

Me: Alright cool, please enter your email's password here.

Client: My email doesn't have a password.

Me: soul leaves body

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When I was in high school and wanted to be a famous author, Steinbeck was one of my role models. Specifically, I wanted my podunk home town to become famous for stupid they were for not appreciating me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    Tech at another school posts in the group chat. This person has been in this department longer than I have.

OtherTech: This particular student (post screenshot of student name, dob, id#, etc) can't login to their Google account. We have tried on multiple devices and networks, is this an easy fix?

Me: Check the admin console and see if it's locked out or disabled?

OtherTech: It's not working.

Manager 2 levels higher than us: I checked the console for you, the account is active.

Me: Reset the password?

OT: Still can't login.

Manager: Do you have a good network connection?

OT: Yes, tried on two different devices. I can login but the student account can't.

Manager: Reset the password

OT: It's not working.

Manager: The account is being locked out with bad attempts. You need to reset the password.

OT: We have a new device and it's still not working.

Our Immediate Supervisor: Hey OT I just unlocked the account and reset the password.

OT: working now

Hey I think I used to work with that person!

... I'm sorry...

At least once a day at a client's house:

Me: Alright cool, please enter your email's password here.

Client: My email doesn't have a password.

Me: soul leaves body

This actually was the case at my last job. We had a login for the intranet and our Outlook was tied to the intranet login and didn't have its own individual password, since they were inaccessible from the internet at large.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well I just presented my last freelance project to the startup guys we were working with and they seemed ecstatic about all of it so that's awesome. Now I am out of gas. untethered. enter the void, empty, and become wind.

so A) payday. B) now I'm back to not working in a covid job market.

Complicated feels.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I discovered Google Play Music has hit final end-of-life and deactivated itself on my phone as I jumped on the train for my morning commute.

So now I've had to work all day without access to the 1000-odd mp3's that were on my phone 2 days ago.

Not going to lie, those mp3 files are directly tied to my productivity in the office. Finding this afternoon a struggle today.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I discovered Google Play Music has hit final end-of-life and deactivated itself on my phone as I jumped on the train for my morning commute.

So now I've had to work all day without access to the 1000-odd mp3's that were on my phone 2 days ago.

Not going to lie, those mp3 files are directly tied to my productivity in the office. Finding this afternoon a struggle today.

I should put my mp3s on my phone and listen that way but there are times I just don't want to listen to that
    It would be block the nurgle cult and general uglyness of work but I don't know how or should I do it {I have headphones on my old mp3 but I had not used it in a age so it will not keep a charge from I tired it a few months ago}

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    For me it's "what happens when you reset your password using the 'forgot password?' link?"
    "I know my password"
    Me: *mutes, swears, clears throat* let's try it anyway...

e: or "the system is showing a bad password flag on my end"
    "No the password is right"
    :rotate:

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry. I sometimes blame IT to make people stop asking questions.

"Yeah, I don't know, sometimes they just reset things for no reason. Try it anyway."

You're all brave, and you don't deserve it. I still do it, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

They made duplicate version that is slightly shittier in every way on YouTube.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I remember not liking that its spoken of as "the great american novel" more than the book itself.

and lit teacher's predilection because of it being so

I mean this borders on "what makes something good?"

I'd probably hate it a lot less if I didn't have to spend a month and a half writing about whatever inane symbolism in the book the teacher wanted us to write about to make sure I read the fucking thing. I'd probably hate a lot of the books a lot less if we never did that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I remember we spent 25 minutes in class discussing what "yellow sound" meant and my brain checked out less than 8 seconds into the class period and I just thought about boobs the whole time.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I remember we spent 25 minutes in class discussing what "yellow sound" meant and my brain checked out less than 8 seconds into the class period and I just thought about boobs the whole time.

it's the pee sound obviously

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

you know the brown note? well

• Options
    oh no

• Options

The pee is silent!

51U+56Z851L._SY384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Options
    Complicated online meeting etiquette question
    a few months before I left my old job I moved across to a new project (Mars, yay)
    I never technically left the project because there's some crossover between it and my new job so I'm basically folding the project into my current research
    but administratively and infrastructurally, I'm ignoring the hell out of it on the "never go to a meeting you don't have to" principle

There's at least one meeting a week, they always email the weblink and a password, and I always trash the email immediately. But now ... now I need to ask them something. And I'm not even sure who to ask.
    I'm wondering how weird it would be to just sort of ... slide into the weekly meeting and act like I've always been there

i figure if there's enough people on the call my thumbnail could have plausibly been bumped to the next page over for six months, right? that sounds likely

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

And the green light at the end of that dumb wharf, which really felt like a detail that was aimed entirely at English teachers, like the ambiguity at the end of The Giver.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Any of you ever get a professional to rewrite your resume?

• Options
    Mully once tried rewriting mine but ran screaming into the distance about a third of the way through

... So, no I guess

• Options
    Most professional CV writers I have met are charlatans

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If you've got friends in the industry, I've found that's a great way to get a second pair of eyes on it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Do you know one that's not shit?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

The pee is silent!

51U+56Z851L._SY384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm 6'5" and no it ain't

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    A is for Aisle
    B is for Bdellium
    C is for Czar

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

They made duplicate version that is slightly shittier in every way on YouTube.

"Google made a new version of [existing product/service] that is slightly shittier in every way" (and discontinued the original and forcibly migrated everyone over to the new one) is evergreen. Unfortunately.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    If you've got friends in the industry, I've found that's a great way to get a second pair of eyes on it.

Get a friend in industry and a friend who isn't at minimum

Potentially HR won't have the technical background you and your industry friend have, so it's good to be sure it can be read by non-technical audiences

If you go with a professional make sure they have experience and knowledge in your field because otherwise they could be an adventure

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'll play HR lemme see that resume

*throws it away because I don't like your name*

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    T is also for Tsar by the way

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I can't believe they skipped Tzeentch.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I'll play the application page. Lemme see
    Wait
    You also need to fill in these forms
    And these
    And what do you mean that info is on your resume

• Options

Do you know one that's not shit?

@chr1sh4ll3ttb3 Manager Tools is the only one I recommend

https://www.manager-tools.com/2020/04/covid-how-prepare-your-resume-your-resume-stinks

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

I'll play the application page. Lemme see
    Wait
    You also need to fill in these forms
    And these
    And what do you mean that info is on your resume

Last job I applied for online I submitted my resume and cover letter, the next page was literally "re-write your cover letter in this text box, and re-write your whole resume in these boxes".
    I got halfway through and fucking gave up. If the company is THAT BAD at such basic shit, they're almost certainly a terrible company to work for.

This discussion has been closed.