As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's time to not talk about Outlaws in [chat]

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Ya know I’m going to say hey I’d rather my kid read anything then decide to shit on the books they read cause it’s not some fucking adult thriller or some shit

Like yall need to pull back a bit I think

Please don’t let your kids read books by bigots

What if your kids ends up being LGBT?

Save them that heartache, bruh

I agree but this conversation coming off like all YA is garbage and people are lesser for reading them

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I was lucky that books that had bad shit and ideas in them were things my mom read, as she read everything anyway, and there were discussions. I think that was always the thing. You read but also discuss about ideas within the book and such and about the authors.

I am not sure I would ban a book by Heinlein or Card. I won't give them Harry Potter because I didn't like it but Ender's Game when discussed with an adult can be a good moment of learning for a kid. And help them appreciate a lot more than just the story.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    also my iphone doesn't get hot so what are you jabronies doing to your phones?!

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There is "this is bad" in the way 90% of everything is crap way and "this is bad" in the "this book has a group of happy slaves who love serving and the single person who thinks it is messed up is treated as silly for doing so" way

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Refusing to attack a work on the grounds of not being "some fucking adult thriller or some shit" came across to me as being against the very idea of taste and some books being better than others but if you're just saying that you're not going to necessarily make your kids aware of any negative opinions you have of their books i can get behind that

There's nothing morally objectionable about having bad taste, which after all is just a different way of saying you can enjoy work more easily than other people. But some work is better than others and denying that would be bonkers

sig.gif
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Kids should read the hippie stuff like A Wrinkle in Time and some more modern really gay TA fiction

Man those latter L’Engel books go way off the deep end into the Christian apocrypha rabbit hole

Super weird but kinda fun

Kids should read the hippie stuff like A Wrinkle in Time and some more modern really gay TA fiction

Man those latter L’Engel books go way off the deep end into the Christian apocrypha rabbit hole

I really liked the first one. Didn't really need to read afterwards.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Well first you wrap it in a condom so it doesn't short out then,

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My parents read the Narnia books to us and we turned out all right

Heck my first solo fantasy read aside from Narnia were the original Terry Brooks trilogy which I haven’t read in a good 25 years but they were probably not very good. Sort of a lesser LoTR with the numbers filed off and a lot more magic.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I don't think i would stop my kid from reading Harry Potter, either because the author has shitty things not in the book or because of the house elf thing in the book. I would think the threshold to stop your kid from reading a book would be really really high

sig.gif
    Ya know I’m going to say hey I’d rather my kid read anything then decide to shit on the books they read cause it’s not some fucking adult thriller or some shit

Like yall need to pull back a bit I think

Please don’t let your kids read books by bigots

What if your kids ends up being LGBT?

Save them that heartache, bruh

I agree but this conversation coming off like all YA is garbage and people are lesser for reading them

I would just say, don’t assume YA is a necessary step on the journey to being an avid reader. If your kid likes it, that’s fine. But I don’t think it’s needed as a transitional tool.

You don’t microwave your phone??

Fuck it, I'm gonna throw my hitchhiker guide collection at my kid tomorrow and tell her to read it and you will be better for doing it.

Honestly I'd be better off if someone did that when I was ten.

My 2000 page unabridged Stand probably isn't the best choice for a kid stressed about a pandemic tho.

Many Waters is probably in my top 3 L’Engle books and it’s set during the construction of Noah’s Ark.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    PAX Online is still being weird with it's bumpers.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    When I was a kid I mostly read Star Wars books (the YA Star Wars books being ones I didn’t really like) before moving on to lotr

In regards to Star Wars novels, I may have been better off with YA, but I just never got that into it

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    If I have kids, I'm only going to let them read Thomas Bernhard novels on a graphing calculator.

I remember being a pre-teen and reading Harry Turtledove. The alt-history of WW2 with an alien invasion.

Yeah, it wasn't great.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Fuck it, I'm gonna throw my hitchhiker guide collection at my kid tomorrow and tell her to read it and you will be better for doing it.

My 2000 page unabridged Stand probably isn't the best choice for a kid stressed about a pandemic tho.

Offer the book to them but no further than that.
    3zpogwf21zft.jpg

Supposedly there’s a whole series of L’Engle books that don’t deal with metaphysics at all and are just straight YA but I’ve only ever seen reference to them in the “other books by Madeline L’Engle” section at the front of the books. I don’t know if they’re even in print.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    timothy zahn was bae

Bless your heart.
    Oh Aliens books. Oof.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I don't think i would stop my kid from reading Harry Potter, either because the author has shitty things not in the book or because of the house elf thing in the book. I would think the threshold to stop your kid from reading a book would be really really high

I think patronizing racist apologia from a harmful bigot would meet that threshold

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    just remember to make your kids read His Dark Materials so they grow up to attack and dethrone god

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    also yeah the young jedi series was ass and then they merged them with the regular books and thats when i stopped reading star wars.

my fav books were probably the "Tales Of" ones.

Bless your heart.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    D&D! We're 3/3 for players being unconscious at the end of a session. Will we DO IT AGAIN?!

twitch.tv/sniperguygaming
    beacons:

I think patronizing racist apologia from a harmful bigot would meet that threshold

But enough about Tolkien

I skipped right to Zahn I think. I did read some of the DS9 stuff with Jake and Nog though. Not good.

u7stthr17eud.png
    emnmnme wrote: »

Offer the book to them but no further than that.
    3zpogwf21zft.jpg

I think of the sheer quantities of pure garbage writing that I read and reread over and over as a YA / Teen.

All the Mechwarrior and Mack Bolan and Wingman and pure garbage episodic fiction. When I could of at least been reading Banks or Asimov or something that wasnt pure fast food trash.

But, I was voracious in a way few readers are. All my sisters dog and horse books were read cover to cover. The King and Grissom books my mom read? The romances my grandma read? Put a book near me and I devoured it.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Jake being a slob and Nog being neat. The odd couple.

But also I lived in the boonies where I could read or do nothing at all.

Pretty much the minute we had a computer I only read when I got kicked off or couldn't use it, and same once we had internet and would fight with my sister but settle on reading.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i wonder how many asian people say they are a different kind of asian just to fuck with white people

i'm pretty sure i would

My Thai friends, when people ask if they are related they say "what do you think all Asian people look alike?!"

They are identical twin brothers.

Story time!

So there are these two identical twins in their early 60s living in this neighborhood. One of them dresses kind of casual with scruffy hair, the other one always wears a suit - nothing super-fancy, just a nice-looking stylish suit. Also, one of them has a pencil mustache, the other one is clean shaven.

One day I noticed something, purely because one of them has a mustache.

The fuckers take turns dressing fancy.

Hold on I have Netflix on the line and they somehow already greenlit a two season series before I called them.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    At the very least, if you're going to hand your kid Harry Potter, start off explaining to them that the content of these books may contain content that will lead them down an unhealthy path if they aren't critical about it, and if they write like that in college they will be be taking remedial English.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    At the very least, if you're going to hand your kid Harry Potter, start off explaining to them that the content of these books may contain content that will lead them down an unhealthy path if they aren't critical about it, and if they write like that in college they will be be taking remedial English.
    this is a completely ridiculous thing to say and comes across as performative bashing of harry potter because of rowling's political beliefs

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Here's an unidentifiable snippet of an extremely common way that the writing I get is un-good.
    Hedonism is the belief that the key to a quality life is one that fully consists of pleasure and no pain.

Forgetting the accuracy of the content, this sentence is a struggle. On the one hand, it would make sense if it said the key to a quality life was that it be full of pleasure and no pain. On the other, it would also make sense if it said that a quality life is one that is full of pleasure and no pain. But I'm pretty sure that how it's actually written, "one" refers back to "key" and it ends up literally saying that the key in the figure of speech is what is full of pleasure and not pain, which is a weird category error. Or am I hallucinating that?

@Evil Multifarious tell me how to copy edit this kind of sentence structure in a way that will be constructive, which is like your actual job, but for free and online

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Cant you just throw away "the key to" and be done? Maybe "is one that" too.

Tumin on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    P10 wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    this is a completely ridiculous thing to say and comes across as performative bashing of harry potter because of rowling's political beliefs

I have been saying that Harry Potter is badly written for well over a decade.

I mean I do have time traveling powers but still.

Incenjucar on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Why we hating on Harry Potter? D:

cause JK Rowling is a terrible human being

Yeah then hate her.

HP ain't do nothing but hold down the Wizard World like a G.

Mim the books are all kinds of bad

Racist
    Classist
    Sexist
    Logically inconsistent
    Riddled with plot holes
    Problematic characterizations
    Narratively unsatisfying
    Probably smell weird after a few years on the shelf

I think everything I grew up enjoying has some problematic element.

The thing I loved about Harry Potter (and still do) is that it just captured my imagination.

A lot of authors suck ass, but I don't want to hate on what made me want to wish that an owl would give me a letter and go learn to be a witch.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    The Potter books are awful completely outside Rowling being a bigot

Find something else to read, don’t tie yourself up in knots with mental gymnastics

All YA is awful!

I can't tell my 10yo to go read Dune.

Or maybe I should.

@zagdrob The Mistborn series is pretty good, and as far as I know Sanderson hasn't turned out to be a bigot yet.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sure, we hear a lot about Hedonism but what about its opposite philosophy, Shedonism?

This discussion has been closed.