As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    @beavisofsmoke

https://www.oglaf.com/princessparty/

(this one's SFW, mostly, but I'm not posting the image here)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I had the chance to found and pivot to the Norman culture rather than Norwegian or Norse, both of which are in my dynasty. I'm not sure what the right call was there. The pro was my new family line being a culture head I guess.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm finding learning focus to be really good; being able to take "restraint" and just turn off the baby fountain whenever you like is incredibly powerful.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I had the chance to found and pivot to the Norman culture rather than Norwegian or Norse, both of which are in my dynasty. I'm not sure what the right call was there. The pro was my new family line being a culture head I guess.

Really depends on the tech level of your new culture versus the old. I've heard of people that converted culture later and found themselves knocked back an era of tech.
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm finding learning focus to be really good; being able to take "restraint" and just turn off the baby fountain whenever you like is incredibly powerful.

It's full of useful things. Restraint isn't so useful right now since I need more input pieces family members for my trait breeding project but disease resistance and treatment so I don't lose any is a very useful thing. I had a genius son survive smallpox. Plus the innovation boost is helpful too, both the specific perk and the increase you get from Learning boosts.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    I can't seem to figure out how to see achievements in the game. Are they not available playing with Microsoft Game Pass?

Screenshot of the achievement list in my game.
    g299tq7uv718.png

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My first guess, is there any mod running that changes the checksum?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    SanderJK wrote: »
    My first guess, is there any mod running that changes the checksum?

No mods at all. Haven't had any before either.

I would understand if I perhaps hadn't unlocked any achievements but shouldn't I be able to see what there is to unlock?

Richard on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's weird. Even if you're playing on a mode that doesn't give achievements (non-ironman or modded), that menu should show you what the achievements are. I never looked at it before I switched from the microsoft store version to the steam version though -- I would assume it's a bug with the microsoft store.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    So are wars too easy at a certain point? I pressed my sons claim on east francia, which spanned from the netherlands down to venice. I marched my 10k soldiers into the northern part, took the capital and like 5 other counties. saw maybe 3000 of the enemy troops, won a couple battles against them, 100% pinged, and that was that. Felt a little anti-climatic, and was very short. I feel like 2 massive kingdoms fighting over the title of king should be a bit more... epic?

Whats even more sad is that i was able to call on my scottish king ally (married to daughter), and managed to negotiate an alliance with whatever purple blob formed in iberia and controlled most of that and southern france, and called them in too. Which i thought would be needed since east francia was allied with the very large west francia.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    So are wars too easy at a certain point? I pressed my sons claim on east francia, which spanned from the netherlands down to venice. I marched my 10k soldiers into the northern part, took the capital and like 5 other counties. saw maybe 3000 of the enemy troops, won a couple battles against them, 100% pinged, and that was that. Felt a little anti-climatic, and was very short. I feel like 2 massive kingdoms fighting over the title of king should be a bit more... epic?

Whats even more sad is that i was able to call on my scottish king ally (married to daughter), and managed to negotiate an alliance with whatever purple blob formed in iberia and controlled most of that and southern france, and called them in too. Which i thought would be needed since east francia was allied with the very large west francia.

The medieval viewpoint is that this wasn't a fight between East Francia and where-ever, this was your son asserting his rights to the East Francia throne with support from his father. It's a personal conflict, not one between the people of the nations. Nations in the modern sense don't exist yet.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It does feel like the bigger risk is expanding too fast and falling apart internally

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Man, that dynasty perk that saves everyone from one assassination attempt is super tiresome when you're trying to chlorinate a particularly inbred branch of the family gene pool.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    A downside to equal succession when you're trying to breed together good traits is that female rulers will take on consorts and lovers without traits and waste valuable years of birthing time that should be going to their specifically chosen trait match husbands. My current ruler has been excommunicating and imprisoning the consorts of one daughter. Another has been taking infidels as consorts though so I guess I'll just have to murder those.

Actually, that reminds me I need to off the duke how captured and then refused to ransom a son's well traited wife and instead made her his concubine. The son's already married to another good trait collection so this won't really do anything in game, but it does feel like the appropriate reaction. The duke's not even Quick or anything.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Argh,

I was doing pretty well! Then my leader died, and all his lands were split among all his children. I hate this a lot! I had +20 gold per turn! Now I have 8! Following this, a revolution immediately started to install my brother on the throne instead, and I have zero chance of winning it. Or, I can accept, become a Duke and play the long game I guess. It might be fun I suppose...

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah it sucks to have your chair kicked out from underneath you, but I usually like to take those opportunities to focus on some completely different goal

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    Argh,

I was doing pretty well! Then my leader died, and all his lands were split among all his children. I hate this a lot! I had +20 gold per turn! Now I have 8! Following this, a revolution immediately started to install my brother on the throne instead, and I have zero chance of winning it. Or, I can accept, become a Duke and play the long game I guess. It might be fun I suppose...

Long game can be fun. Especially if there are other targets you can use to expand.

Right now I'm going through a game in Lithuania starting as a count wedged between a couple powerful chieftains with duchy titles. I swore fealty to one, started raiding the other, And when the boss had a second duchy title and as many sons as counties under his direct control, murdered him, got independence from the son who became my liege by threatening a faction war, defeated the other in a subjugation war that handed me a duchy title and once the truce ended conquered my original liege, arguably accomplishing more in a relatively short time than I would have if I had tried to whittle away at my neighbors at their weakest trying to gather enough land to form my own title.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I also have a recurring bug where I can't hard save, has anyone heard of that?

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Son of a... hows this for a story line? I got bored of my game, so i went into debug mode and turned on observer to see how it would play out with the empire of england.

everything is humming along, a few emperors came and went, i stepped away for 10 min and came back about 60 years later, suddenly the empire is split and its now the empire of england on its lone island, and the kingdom of ireland now controls vast tracks of europe. I was able to back track to this evil king of ireland to see what happened...

Waaaaaaay back in the late 800s i conquered the eastern half of cornwall. eventually this count decides he wants a claim on the kingdom of england, so he fabricates one. So being the dutiful king, i get him excommunicated, attack and imprison him where he dies in my dungeon around 920 or so. Well his eldest son takes over his county but still has a claim on the kingdom of england. I note it and promptly dont worry about it because how much harm can one dude cause? I go about my business conquering and completely forget about him.

this jerk at the top played the long con. His heirs did eventally take the crown of england, under his house, but it split the realm.
    26l7SaU.png

aQDSBVZ.png

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    I can get my kingdom back if my kind, generous king kills like

five children

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Started as the Count of Rhodes and am now Kingdom of Crete Have all the Aegean islands. Cyprus is the next target. My heir's wife has a claim on Bulgaria, which I'm interested in.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    How does control work during inheritance? I've thus far basically just been increasing control always and forever, figuring that's fighting the wave of corruption in the lands I'm keeping. I'm wondering if this is a waste of resources if control just trends back to normal over time between generations or something.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I can get my kingdom back if my kind, generous king kills like

five children

Looks like it's time for your kind, generous king to take up drinking. And self-flagellation.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    At that point assassination probably isn't your best option. If you've had a title taken from you, you should still have a claim to it that you can press. Most likely you'll have a truce with whoever just dumpster'd you so it won't show up as an option until that times out, but its there. Bide your time, save up your money for mercenaries and, preferably, wait until they're distracted by another war before you strike. I nearly abandoned my current game when arsehole vikings murdered my King and took all but one of my counties from his one-year-old son. That one-year-old was five when he was murdered himself, I suspect by his older sister who in all fairness was much better equipped to rule. That sister had pretty good intrigue and stewardship, and took advantage of this to find secrets + golden obligations her way into a small fortune. When the vikings found themselves in a holy war with Francia that they couldn't possibly win, I struck, and took back all of my land in one go. Now that Queen's great grandson is about to form the empire of Britannia.

Crusader Kings is a game about expanding as far as you can in one lifetime, then your heir dies or you extend too far, something bad happens and you lose a bunch of it and have to start the climb again. But the land isn't gone so long as your dynasty controls it, or you have a claim with which to get it back again.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Something I find really odd is that romancing people apparently can only succeed via murder attempt?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Occasionally you can save them from a wild animal.

But yes, it does seem like it's impossible to fall in love with anyone who hasn't had a near-death experience in this game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I finally got creating a new faith out of the way. There’s gender equality, polyamory, no penalty for adultery, witchcraft is approved, no penalty for homosexuality, no penalty for deviancy, and uh, no penalty for incest. It’s basically “everyone can do anything with anyone else who consents.” Also, reincarnation, which I hadn’t realized gave me dynasty points, so that’s fun.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I finally got creating a new faith out of the way. There’s gender equality, polyamory, no penalty for adultery, witchcraft is approved, no penalty for homosexuality, no penalty for deviancy, and uh, no penalty for incest. It’s basically “everyone can do anything with anyone else who consents.” Also, reincarnation, which I hadn’t realized gave me dynasty points, so that’s fun.

You did also do natural primativism while you are at it, right? I mean, what's the point otherwise?

Steam Profile
  • Options
    My norwegian empire game kind of petered out after two successively bad inheritances led to me struggling with title management and having way too many random counties in odd places.

I thought I'd try again as Murchad applying what I learned, but I just can't even break past Scotland from the get go there... Fifty years in and I can't really escape Ireland.

• Options
    The AI seems to have issues ransoming back its family members and vassals. Even when I gift them the money for it neither side seems to make the request for months at times and I end up switching characters to make them make the request.

Had that happen with an 11 year old count that somehow took the wife, kid, and concubine of one of my dukes or kings captive. Probably because the AI is too aggressive and sucks at remembering to defend its shit. After gifting the relevant captives and the vassal enough money and still not seeing any movement I decided to just attack the count and get my relatives back by removing his court. At some point during the march over the the kid finally decided he might need some money soon and ransomed back the vassal's kid but not his wife. I took over the target county quickly, grabbed some captives in the process, and then found out the kid had two counties, not one. So I wasn't going to be able to unland him yet. But I did capture his mother who wasn't worth anything in terms of war score but I could make her a concubine. As I was marching over to his last holding, the kid finally decided to let the rest of my family members go for money. I've fought wars that have yielded kingdoms, driven older dynasties from power, shattered empires, and crushed enemy faiths but no victory has felt as complete as this one where I now bang an tween infidel's mom.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    This was weird. Running through a Munster start and my petty king manages to "unite" all of Ireland, but dies less than a year before having the cash to make the title for a kingdom. He bites it and his heir takes over.

I was actually pretty annoyed because absolutely none of the marriages I was proposing for my heir had a chance for children. Checked a couple dozen people, at least. I figure the guy just isn't interested in the ladies, so I decide to move on anyway because I wanted to at least make it getting Ireland into a kingdom. Fortunately, the former petty king dying didn't split things too badly; only three domains went out. I conquered one immediately, then inherited the other two back due to one invading the other and killing the leadership. Bam. All of Ireland in my hands again.

So now I just need to sit and wait for money because the 500 gold is the only barrier at this point. While I'm waiting, I figure "what the heck", even if I won't get an heir, I should still marry somebody to get their help earning money. Pick the person with highest stewardship score (a whopping 22)... and now there is a medium chance of children? What the heck? Turns out the lady is 43. So it's not that my king doesn't like ladies, it's that he's interested in older ladies. Whatever, as long as I can get an heir out of this. And she even had the Hale trait, so the heirs will be a sturdy lot!

Oh, and while waiting for the gold to be king, I decided to assassinate the King of England. I started with a 95% chance of success, then my aunt helped (she actually was the former Queen, somehow I managed to get her married to the old king). And there was a pile of something like a dozen other people I could've swayed to help. Turns out people really hated the guy, particularly that mob that beat him to death.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I think there's some temporary things that prevent having children and it makes it show up as None. Like, at a guess (just occurred to me now, haven't tested it) is that if you are at an Activity (pilgrimmage, meditation, feast, whatever) then you can't have children at that moment, so it shows up as None, even though there's no actual long-term condition.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ah, I was off at war in France and the Heir was with me, so maybe that was the problem. That's a stupid mechanic then, considering you need to know what the marriage potential for children will be, not the potential right now. At the very least, tell the player "None (due to being away at war)" or something like that.

Not a big deal this time, though, the eventual marriage was better than whatever else was available.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    I think there's some temporary things that prevent having children and it makes it show up as None. Like, at a guess (just occurred to me now, haven't tested it) is that if you are at an Activity (pilgrimmage, meditation, feast, whatever) then you can't have children at that moment, so it shows up as None, even though there's no actual long-term condition.

Another one is that the game will prevent landless courtiers from having kids at times. There seem to be some other rules involved because it'll allow some for noble parents but it caps off at a certain point.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My last queen couldn't have kids with her husband for half the time they were married because for some reason he decided to go live in Cornwall.

• Options
    My holdings have become split up strangely. I would like to re-concentrate my holdings and grant independence to areas that aren't really in my planned demesne. Problem is, in several parts of my planned holdings, a vassal's vassal is the current holder, etc.

A couple questions:

1. Is there a good strategy for just reconcentrating holdings in this situation?

2. If you start revoking titles like a mad person as a parent, will the child suffer less hatred for this or will most of the relationship reduction pass down?

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My holdings have become split up strangely. I would like to re-concentrate my holdings and grant independence to areas that aren't really in my planned demesne. Problem is, in several parts of my planned holdings, a vassal's vassal is the current holder, etc.

A couple questions:

1. Is there a good strategy for just reconcentrating holdings in this situation?

2. If you start revoking titles like a mad person as a parent, will the child suffer less hatred for this or will most of the relationship reduction pass down?

Your child will get an enormous opinion penalty if all of your vassals hate you.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My current ruler is a Handsome Robust Genius with 2/3 of the seduction tree unlocked, and his wife is his soulmate and lover.

I've now caught her cheating on him 4 times.

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options

A couple questions:

Opinion of the predecessor affects the new character on succession. To that end stripping older vassals who aren't long for the world anyway can make things easier. Or do it at the end of your life when you've gotten enough long reign bonuses to offset the opinion hit a bit.

Fabricating a claim on the title yourself can help avoid getting the tyranny hit to all your vassals instead of just the one you weaken from what I've heard. My current game lets me just excommunicate people for a revocation reason so I've yet to really need it plus I'm so busy converting counties with my chaplain.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    My current ruler is a Handsome Robust Genius with 2/3 of the seduction tree unlocked, and his wife is his soulmate and lover.

I've now caught her cheating on him 4 times.

Yeah, they need to tone down the adultery, I think. I think at one point in one of my empire games I could imprison something like 42 people.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Everybody is fucking everybody, at all times.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.