As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFBE] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, LONG LIVE NEW THREAD

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Oh you sons of bitches, well played Gumi, well played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD7u86DXq6M

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It appears the went all out with silly videogame references for Yoshikiri. He has an ability called Wombo Combo. That's hilarious.

Edit: Yoshikiri this week (is a support/support and damage dealer in Braveshift). Elena next week, TDW base form Chainer, TDH finisher in Braveshift.

Cruor on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Yoshikiri this week, Elena next? Jerks. I want both and was kinda hoping they shared banners

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm more interested in Yoshikiri, especially because he's a support and JP doesn't even have that many NV supports yet (they have...NVA Yuraisha?). I really really want to see his full kit. I'm sure Elena will be amazing, but damage dealers are much more prone to creep.

Also, no announced GLEX NVAs. It does look like brave insignias will be shared amongst all GLEX NV/NVA units, which would be very welcome. I would have to guess they are saving a GLEX NVA for Elena's banner next week.

Also, the STMR from the GLEX 7* unit on Yoshi's banner is pretty great - 80% ATK, X% TDW, and reduces MP consumed by abilities. A lot of NV units, even physical units, have crazy MP consumption so that will be very welcome.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Panel summon with no guarantees.. bleh. I'll pick up the 5k bundle for his 50 shards and hope for an off-banner some day. Or maybe go back after next week if I luck into picking up Elena without too many resources used.
    This is basically a confirmation that Elena won't have any guarantees either, but I hope they pick something better than the garbage panel summon.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll do dailies till next week. Since there will be overlap. Once Elena is in the pool, I'll use my tickets.

Also from a support standpoint, while he'll be one of the only NV ones right now, but we will be getting NV versions of the CG season 3 folks. It'll be interesting to see how CG Pone turns out since she was pretty OP as is.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    TipharesTiphares Registered User regular
    I'm honestly glad that NV Yoshi and Elena will not share a banner. They did the right thing by splitting them up. There was going to be some serious salt and complaining otherwise. It's hard enough getting one on-banner NV unit (with the pool growing).

• Options
    edited September 2020
    No safety net is shitty, yeah. Probably gonna wait a week to pull just to see if Elena is good enough to justify pulling over Yoshikiri. She probably won't be, especially if she is just hybrid damage like the video said instead of a "hybrid" like WoTV Gilgamesh. Hybrids have their damage severely impacted by DV in all but the final stage, so if Elena is a regular hybrid she won't be useful for most of DV.

And although we may be getting NV versions of the S3 cast (still not confirmed), it won't start happening until Spring 2021 according to their timeline they shared on the livestream. So if Poppy comes as NV she's still about 6 months or so away.

Edit: Ok, maybe "won't be useful for DV" is a bit harsh. Elena will still be pretty good and we don't have any dedicated NV/NVA mages yet, so she will be able to shine some. Hell, last DV NVA Tifa finishing in magic stages was at times better than using any mage finisher. If NV Elena is a LB based finisher in her Braveshift form then she'll probably still be pretty good in DV. It will be interesting to see what kind of damage Yoshikiri can do in his Braveshift form. Maybe he'll be a great "mage" option.

Cruor on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this Yoshikiri dude! Normally I'm all about the joke characters but what little I've seen of him looks kinda pastiche?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this Yoshikiri dude! Normally I'm all about the joke characters but what little I've seen of him looks kinda pastiche?

I hope they outright reference how much he looks like Auron in either the story event or in his abilities. Like, if he's a huge videogame nerd, maybe he's played FFX and his diegetic choice to look like Auron is 100% intentional.

• Options
    Shaly did make a reference to his Yoshi's NV card having some video game reference in it. It's supposed to be on the TV screen that he's playing on.

I'm considering doing one 5k pull on a banner before maintenance for 1 more Overdrive ticket to get NV Rain to +1 and a chance at NV Akstar (and 1 guaranteed 5*). There is also the Overdrive Special Bundle for 3k that could be a good way to go.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I pulled another OG Cloud today, and now I'm 10 fragments away from getting him to EX+1. I have an overdrive ticket left over so I'll probably grab 10 of his fragments with it to unlock his braveshift. He's a really competent chainer, especially with a dupe, and I'm sure I'll get some use out of him in DV. If we end up with more NV units with Octaslash frame chains he'll do well with them as well. Sadly I don't think his Braveshift LB (true Meteor Rain) chains with anything other than a dupe.

I don't think I can get anything else meaningful out of this leftover ticket except for more Akstar shards on the off chance I pull him randomly. I think that would put me at being able to EX+1 him, which would get me his great Vision Card.

Edit: Screw it, went with the Akstar fragments. His Vision Card will be more useful to me than an NVA I may or may not use later.

Cruor on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I am considering whether to use my tickets on Aerith shards so I can braveshift her. It's more the transcension pearl that is making me hesitate, mind.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    I am considering whether to use my tickets on Aerith shards so I can braveshift her. It's more the transcension pearl that is making me hesitate, mind.

Her Braveshift form is a light-locked magic damage dealer with CWA frames who does more damage than Kuja. So, if you have issues with CWA frames it's not gonna be worth it.

• Options
    The login rewards leaves you 20 shards short on Aerith and NV Akstar, which would take 2 Overdrive tickets.

• Options
    Tiphares wrote: »
    The login rewards leaves you 20 shards short on Aerith and NV Akstar, which would take 2 Overdrive tickets.

I got 15 Akstar shards from a panel summon when I was summoning trying to get an extra Lasswell, so I'll be good with just one ticket.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Ok. Did 1x 5k summon on the Akstar banner. Got Sol #3 and Physalis #5. I used the Overdrive ticket to get NV Rain shards to get his EX+1 and NV card. The panel gave me 2x rare summon tickets... meh.

I used a 4* EX ticket that came down rainbow for OK Refia #4! That's a really nice stat sword!

Tiphares on
  • Options
    Was kind of hoping Yoshikiri would be XWQL 2.0 when I saw the SPR stuff, but with brave shift, it allows GUMI to avoid that game breaking combo I guess. Using SPR/DEF scaling for damage and making them meta, is just so strong since they get the defensive bonuses of it without losing attack.

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Was kind of hoping Yoshikiri would be XWQL 2.0 when I saw the SPR stuff, but with brave shift, it allows GUMI to avoid that game breaking combo I guess. Using SPR/DEF scaling for damage and making them meta, is just so strong since they get the defensive bonuses of it without losing attack.

I don't see how it avoids making Yoshikiri potentially a XWQL2.0. His Braveshift is available at the beginning of the battle and lasts an infinite amount of turns. If his Braveshift does have great SPR based damage then if you want you can ignore his base form completely and just start off by shifting.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    So, the latest trial in JP came out and it's the Extreme Demon Chimera who is...well, the hardest version has 38k DEF/SPR and cannot be broken. Also, once below 50% will heal 30% HP unless you use Disease or nullify it with Nethicite. Oh, and it has a 15 turn clear mission. It also uses an Accuracy Down debuff and has a Field Effect (new JP mechanic) that lowers all of your elemental resistances by 300%, which stacks with regular Imperils. The only way to get rid of this field effect is to set a new one, and in JP currently only one unit, NV Terra, can do that by summoning an Esper.

So, you essentially NEED NV Terra and magic damage to get around the Field Effect and Accuracy Down debuff, and its defensive stats are so high most people are unable to clear it before like turn 80.

Sounds like hell, right? Well, it's actually a GENIUS trial. By using an Esper Field Effect (for example, NV Terra summoning Shiva sets a field effect that ups Ice damage by 25%, and field effects stack with pretty much every other damage boost), Rod Imperil, and just two NV Physalis for damage I saw a 15 turn clear that was really clean (and some turns were spent doing no damage to line up rotations). The trial is tailor made to show you how all of these new mechanics (field effects, weapon imperils) line up and can vastly increase your damage. It IS pretty shitty that you basically need NV Terra and Relm for their field effect and rod Imperil to do it, though. More units that can use these mechanics would be very welcome. I guess you could use physical damage dealers with katanas and use NVA Shadow's Katana Imperil instead of magic damage/rod Imperil, but then you need a reliable way to remove the Accuracy Down debuff (or a unit that can boost accuracy like NV Onion Knight).

Cruor on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Man, this Golem is really showing how badly "I don't know about barrage abilities" has effed me hard. I don't have anyone that can take down the shield by itself, and there's no way I'm going get one up to scratch instantly so it's more or less a crapshoot even at the 10 NRG dealie. That and the fact that those arms are dynamite, and I'm not quite getting what they're doing other than hitting me so hard I nearly lose two of 6 characters right out of the gate unless I focus fire the left arm first turn. Then I just almost assuredly lose one character before it's over, usually more like 4 gone.

I think my other issue is I honestly don't understand how to use anything other than damage dealers to just try and brute force things through big damage.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    You don't have any barrage characters? There is a bow and 3* TMR with it. https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Barrage. It's not ideal since it's random but it's something. There are also some weapons that allow normal hits 2x that might help.

Also do you have a physical tank in there? I used DW Galuf with evade and he took all of the damage.

• Options
    You don't have any barrage characters? There is a bow and 3* TMR with it. https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Barrage. It's not ideal since it's random but it's something. There are also some weapons that allow normal hits 2x that might help.

Also do you have a physical tank in there? I used DW Galuf with evade and he took all of the damage.

I mean, I have that character . . . at level 1. There was that reddit list and I had maybe 3-4 of them? All at level 1-10 of their first star level. Though after last night I got Mastermind Xon to 7*, though not max level, and had the good fortune to get his dagger STMR. So I might try that.

Meanwhile I have tanks, I just don't know how to use them. Like, I don't know what abilities to use to make them do their things. Hell, at the same time I was EXP grinding Xon, I also got Hallowed Charlotte up to 7*, but I'll be damned if I know how to use her. More or less what I've always done in fights is (A) select a bunch of high level/max level characters (B) Optimize their gear via the button (C) throw them into a fight and scroll through their abilities until I find the highest MP one that damages, which I am just assuming higher cost=more damage (D) win the fight through sheer brute force.

I've looked more at the Exvius wiki in the past week than I have in the past 3-4 years.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    The wiki is a good place to look over skills. Hallowed Aegis's Vanquishment should be good enough for that fight. After turn 4 you'll use Divine Fortress (AoE Physical cover). She doesn't have innate provoke so you'll also want to use Attract Wall (provoke) for any ST attacks.

If you have MM Xon, using triple cast Vicious Strike to get through the break in a turn or 2.

EDIT: Generally you want a team comp with a Tank, Support, Healer, Chainer DPS, and one more role. The tank can be physical tank like Hallowed Charlotte or a magic covering tank like CG Charlotte. Support wants damage mitegation, buffs, and/or debuffs. Healer similar, healing, barriers, debuff removal, etc. Chaining DPS need to be of the same family, so BS, AMoE, CWA, etc. Typically matching magic damage with magic, or physical with physical.

Newer units push roles around. A Tank might also have some support (like P. Cecil). A DPS unit might also have debuffs. You'll need to look at the fight and figure out what attacks it's doing and what units to use and gear for it.

For the Insigna Golem, it's mostly physical which H Charlotte will soak up. It does have Crystal Blaster which is a non-coverable (so a tank wont help) magic attack, but H Charlotte can use Glacial Light Veil (for the 2000 HP barrier) and Sacred Knight's Defense - Magic (to mitigate magic damage). She'll also want to use Sacred Knight's Defense - Physical for herself to have 25% physical reduction.

EDIT: The reality is that this game has been out for years and grabbing random units and using their best abilities will only get you so far. Most stuff these days have mechanics you need to plan your unit choice and gear choice to fight.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    The wiki is a good place to look over skills. Hallowed Aegis's Vanquishment should be good enough for that fight. After turn 4 you'll use Divine Fortress (AoE Physical cover). She doesn't have innate provoke so you'll also want to use Attract Wall (provoke) for any ST attacks.

If you have MM Xon, using triple cast Vicious Strike to get through the break in a turn or 2.

EDIT: Generally you want a team comp with a Tank, Support, Healer, Chainer DPS, and one more role. The tank can be physical tank like Hallowed Charlotte or a magic covering tank like CG Charlotte. Support wants damage mitegation, buffs, and/or debuffs. Healer similar, healing, barriers, debuff removal, etc. Chaining DPS need to be of the same family, so BS, AMoE, CWA, etc. Typically matching magic damage with magic, or physical with physical.

Newer units push roles around. A Tank might also have some support (like P. Cecil). A DPS unit might also have debuffs. You'll need to look at the fight and figure out what attacks it's doing and what units to use and gear for it.

For the Insigna Golem, it's mostly physical which H Charlotte will soak up. It does have Crystal Blaster which is a non-coverable (so a tank wont help) magic attack, but H Charlotte can use Glacial Light Veil (for the 2000 HP barrier) and Sacred Knight's Defense - Magic (to mitigate magic damage). She'll also want to use Sacred Knight's Defense - Physical for herself to have 25% physical reduction.

EDIT: The reality is that this game has been out for years and grabbing random units and using their best abilities will only get you so far. Most stuff these days have mechanics you need to plan your unit choice and gear choice to fight.

Oh I know it's been out for years, I've been playing for years, honestly I think I started about a week or so after the game released. I just wasn't paying any attention at all to roles because what I'd do instead is find one unit that was better than the others, level them to max, then never switch them until they became useless in the damage race. TBH, I didn't expect any level of strategy in a mobile game when it started out, and as a casual free player that expectation proceeded until about a week ago? Like, yeah, I have Paladin Cecil, and there's this page that says he's good, and Sacred Shield Charlotte, and . . . basically I've more or less just been leveling the units that a single unit ranking page has said is "good" assuming that it was an evaluation not of "good right now" and rather "objectively better than others, don't even bother with anything else unless all you've got is that". But my plan? For Cecil et al? Was to pop them in a party and . . . just find their strongest attacks and do what I always do.

So yeah. I've been playing for . . . 4 years now? And am just starting to understand there's any point to anything other than attacking. Because let's be honest, 99% of RPGs, the only point is to attack or heal. Defensive or stat reducing or status inducing attacks are basically worthless in most games, so I was going with that concept.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So yeah. I've been playing for . . . 4 years now? And am just starting to understand there's any point to anything other than attacking. Because let's be honest, 99% of RPGs, the only point is to attack or heal. Defensive or stat reducing or status inducing attacks are basically worthless in most games, so I was going with that concept.

This is true and is makes me sad. At least for a lot the FF series it's true, although FF9 is pretty good about having even some bosses that are susceptible to status effects. Another one of the things I dislike in FF games is how samey most of the characters can feel. FF7 is especially bad in this regard because everything special about a character comes from their materia except for Limit Bursts, and those are unreliable at best. I'm super happy that FFBE has actual unit roles and those roles are important and mostly do different things from one another.

I'm currently playing DQ11 for the first time and I'm heartened by the fact that Erik has a whole skill tree dedicated to status effects, so hopefully they're actually useful and good in that game.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »

This is true and is makes me sad. At least for a lot the FF series it's true, although FF9 is pretty good about having even some bosses that are susceptible to status effects. Another one of the things I dislike in FF games is how samey most of the characters can feel. FF7 is especially bad in this regard because everything special about a character comes from their materia except for Limit Bursts, and those are unreliable at best. I'm super happy that FFBE has actual unit roles and those roles are important and mostly do different things from one another.

I'm currently playing DQ11 for the first time and I'm heartened by the fact that Erik has a whole skill tree dedicated to status effects, so hopefully they're actually useful and good in that game.

Two side-notes:
    • FF7 Remake helped to make each character feel more unique, even if most of the button presses might feel the same; each character does their own thing. Even the weapon upgrade system allows each character to be slightly more or less useful in their role with a second sub-role, such as casting, support, tank, physical damage, etc. It's honestly the first game I can think of where I actually used cover and damage reduction based abilities.
    • Dragon Quest has a habit making status effecting abilities either useless or overpowered. Just generally, sleep abilities that hit an entire line of monsters or even all monsters on the field are super useful, for an example. I'm only slightly into DQ11 right now, so I have no idea how this one handled it.

And yeah, part of me always looked at, like, poison/stop/slow/etc spells, sigh, and then went to find the spells that are actually useful. What's the point of hoping for Death to hit when Ultima Quadcast was a party-wide assured death?

• Options
    Oh yeah I've heard the FF7R does a lot to differentiate how each character plays, and that's great. I would argue it's even MORE important for a variety of gameplay styles in an ARPG than in a standard turn based RPG and it really looks like FF7R nailed that. I won't play it until it's out on PC so I'll get there eventually.

• Options
    Well your not wrong that status ailments are pretty much nothing in this game. Thanks to having Ribbon right from the get go. However defensive abilities like cover, damage mitigation, stat breaks, etc all matter a lot in this game. Breaks on enemies tends to be the most powerful thing you can do, which is why many bosses don't allow certain breaks.

• Options
    Well your not wrong that status ailments are pretty much nothing in this game. Thanks to having Ribbon right from the get go. However defensive abilities like cover, damage mitigation, stat breaks, etc all matter a lot in this game. Breaks on enemies tends to be the most powerful thing you can do, which is why many bosses don't allow certain breaks.

Well, status ailments don't matter until they do. Some bosses have mechanics where you need to blind/paralyze/disease or whatever to prevent retaliation/healing/whatever.

• Options
    I'm glad to see the intention to up gil intake, as holy crap I'm constantly poor.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Man, this Golem is really showing how badly "I don't know about barrage abilities" has effed me hard. I don't have anyone that can take down the shield by itself, and there's no way I'm going get one up to scratch instantly so it's more or less a crapshoot even at the 10 NRG dealie. That and the fact that those arms are dynamite, and I'm not quite getting what they're doing other than hitting me so hard I nearly lose two of 6 characters right out of the gate unless I focus fire the left arm first turn. Then I just almost assuredly lose one character before it's over, usually more like 4 gone.

I think my other issue is I honestly don't understand how to use anything other than damage dealers to just try and brute force things through big damage.

I’ll put up a Rosa in Nemesis 2 to break for you

• Options
    Would like to get that Enhancer++ but cant even attempt it until I kill Greg Scorn? Super goddamn that

Also unsure how I want to spend resources tomorrow :/

• Options
    As a side question, how often do they rerun events? Like, if I have some materials from every random event I've ever done in this game since event materials were a thing, is there a point in hanging on to any of them?

• Options
    As a side question, how often do they rerun events? Like, if I have some materials from every random event I've ever done in this game since event materials were a thing, is there a point in hanging on to any of them?

Not super often. You can probably sell old raid materials/coins and old Mog King currency. You'll probably ney a good amount of gil by doing so.
    Reigner wrote: »
    Would like to get that Enhancer++ but cant even attempt it until I kill Greg Scorn? Super goddamn that

NV units (and even some recent non-NV units) can OTKO Gilgamesh Scorn. It's not the huge barrier he was at launch.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »

Not super often. You can probably sell old raid materials/coins and old Mog King currency. You'll probably ney a good amount of gil by doing so.
    Reigner wrote: »

NV units (and even some recent non-NV units) can OTKO Gilgamesh Scorn. It's not the huge barrier he was at launch.

We can also throw up a unit with rainbow whip which makes it pretty easy.

• Options
    Yeah its survivng the first couple turns for the barriers to go down thats the problem

• Options
    Around 3 mil gil gotten from selling unneeded bullshit. I'd clear out my equipment too, but I'm averse to possibly junking some amazing 1* equipment thing.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Yoshikiri looks ... not that exciting? Let’s see what happens when it goes live but I think I’m waiting for the Elena banner next week before doing anything drastic with my hoard.

• Options
    Weekly summon got me Squall #6, Morgana #10, and Malphasie #10 (yikes, please get NVAs please please).
    Not a good start, but then 3 tickets got me a Dethroned Ashe #1 and a Yoshikiri. So I guess I'll find out whether he was worth the 3 tickets... oh and I guess 5k lapis for his shards, since we aren't getting anything extra and I do want that vision card.